آخر 10 مشاركات
234 - ستيفاني - ديبي ماكومبر (الكاتـب : Fairey Angel - )           »          واقعة تحت سحره (126) للكاتبة: Lynne Graham (الجزء 3 من سلسلة العرائس الحوامل) *كاملة* (الكاتـب : princess star - )           »          منحوسة (125) للكاتبة: Day Leclaire (كاملة) (الكاتـب : Gege86 - )           »          دموع بلا خطايا (91) للكاتبة: لين جراهام ....كاملة.. (الكاتـب : *ايمي* - )           »          ليلة مع زوجها المنسي (166) للكاتبة : Annie West .. كاملة (الكاتـب : nagwa_ahmed5 - )           »          من خلف الأقنعة (100) للكاتبة: Annie West *كاملة* (الكاتـب : Gege86 - )           »          اللقاء العاصف (23) للكاتبة: Jennie Lucas *كاملة+روابط* (الكاتـب : Dalyia - )           »          فرسان على جمر الغضى *مميزة و مكتملة* (الكاتـب : وديمه العطا - )           »          [تحميل] يدري إن أسباب ضعفي نظرته يدري إني ما أقاوم ضحكته بقلم/ساكبت العود جميع الصيغ (الكاتـب : فيتامين سي - )           »          30 - الضائعون - روميليا لاين - ق.ع.ق ( مكتبة زهران ) (الكاتـب : عنووود - )

العودة   شبكة روايتي الثقافية > مكتبات روايتي > English Library > Fiction > Romance

إضافة رد

LinkBack أدوات الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
قديم 06-03-11, 01:41 PM   #11

Dalyia

إدارية ومشرفة سابقة وكاتبة بمكتبة روايتي وعضوة بفريق التصميم والترجمة و الافلام والسينما ومعطاء التسالي ونجمة الحصريات الفنية ومميز بالقسم الطبى

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
?  نُقآطِيْ » Dalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond repute
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

He couldn't allow her to captivate him this way. Her mouth was too damned appealing for his peace of mind. Yes* she was going to cause an upset all right* whether she realized it or not* Alec mused* for though he was certain none of his clansmen would dare to touch what belonged to him* their thoughts would certainly be strolling in that direction.
The woman was simply too appealing for her own good. She was still frightened of him. Alec told himself that was a good beginning. A wife should always be a bit uncertain of her husband. Yet her fear irritated him* too. He would have ordered her to get on her mount and be quick about it if he hadn't seen the apprehension in her gaze. She reminded him of a deer just picking up the scent of danger.
It was high time he took control* he decided.
Alec gained his stallion's back in one fluid motion. The great black horse pranced a nervous sidestep into Wildfire's flanks. Jamie's horse was already in a prickly state* having been forced to stand next to a male whose scent she was unfamiliar with* and immediately tried to rear up. Alec reached over* grabbed the reins from the inattentive groom* and commanded the mare to settle down.
Wildfire immediately obeyed.
Beak heard Jamie's in-drawn breath* noticed the way she stared at the Scottish warrior* and came to the conclusion she might be in jeopardy of fainting. He put his hand on her shoulder again.
"Get your gumption back* girl. Ain't going to make you feel any better if you disgrace yourself by swooning. I taught you better* didn't I?"
The grumbled words got her immediate attention. Jamie straightened away from the stable master. "There isn't going to be any swooning*" she muttered. "You insult me by suggesting I have such a weakness."
Beak hid his smile. He wasn't going to have to nudge her forward any longer. The fire was back in her eyes.
With the grace befitting royalty* Jamie lifted the hem of her gown and walked over to her mount. Beak helped her get settled on Wildfire's back* then reached up to pat her hand. "Now* give this old man your promise to get along with your husband*" he ordered. "It's a sacred commandment* if you'll remember*" he added with an outrageous wink.
"It is not a commandment*" Jamie announced.
"It is in the Highlands."
Alec had made that statement. He had sounded as though he meant what he said* too. Jamie gave him a disgruntled look before turning back to Beak.
The stable master was smiling at her husband. "You'll remember your promise to me* Laird Kincaid?"
Alec nodded. He tossed Wildfire's reins to Jamie* goaded his stallion forward* and left Jamie staring after him.
He wasn't going to wait for her. Jamie held Wildfire steady* determined to see just how far Alec would ride before he stopped to wait for her. When horse and rider disappeared across the drawbridge and out of sight* she came to the conclusion he wasn't going to wait at all. The man hadn't even bothered to glance back over his shoulder.
"What did you mean when you asked him to remember his promise to you?" Jamie asked almost absentmindedly while she stared at the drawbridge.
"Nothing to concern yourself with*" Beak said quickly.
Jamie turned to look at him. "Out with it* Beak*" she commanded.
"I just had a little talk with him* Jamie* about your… innocence."
"I don't understand."
"Well* now* there's going to have to be a wedding night* lass. Since I was the one who told you about the ways between a man and a woman* I thought I'd caution your husband—"
"Oh* God* you talked about that?"
"I did. He promised to be careful with you* Jamie. He'll try not to hurt you much the first time."
Jamie knew her cheeks were flaming red with embarrassment. "I'm never going to let him touch me* Beak* so your gaining his promise was all for naught."
"Now* Jamie* don't sound so stubborn. I was afeard for you. 'Tis the truth I didn't tell you much about the actual mating ways. I explained to Kincaid that you didn't understand much about—"
"I don't want to hear any more of this talk. He'll never touch me and that's that."
Beak let out a loud sigh. "You're in for a surprise* then* me girl. The way he looks at you tells me he'll be taking you at first chance. Might as well accept that in your stubborn mind* Jamie. Just do what he tells you and you'll come out all right."
"Do what he tells me?"
"Now* lass* don't raise your voice to me. You'd best be moving on* Jamie*" he urged.
Jamie shook her head. "I'll go in a minute* Beak. First I must gain your promise you'll come after me if there's trouble here."
"Trouble? What kind of trouble?"
She couldn't quite look him in the eye when she whispered her explanation. "It seems that Papa took some gold coins from Andrew. It was a loan* Beak* and not a dowry* but I'm still worried. I don't know how Papa will be able to pay Andrew back."
She dared a quick look up* to judge Beak's reaction. She needn't have bothered. His bellow of outrage nearly pushed her off her mount. "He took gold for you* Jamie? He sold you to Baron Andrew?"
"No* no* you misunderstand*" Jamie said quickly. "It was just a loan* Beak. There isn't time to argue about this. Just give me your word you'll come for me if Papa needs help."
"Aye* lass*" Beak said. His sigh sounded angry. "I give you my pledge. Any other worries I should know about?"
"I pray not."
"Then off with you. If your husband—"
"One last matter* and then I'll leave."
"You're deliberately stalling* aren't you* girl? You want to poke his temper. He'll guess the truth about you then*" Beak predicted with a grin. "And after all the trouble I had telling him my lies."
"What lies?"
"Told him you were a sweet* gentle maiden* I did."
"I am a sweet* gentle maiden*" Jamie countered.
Beak snorted. "As sweet as the taste of soap when your temper's riled."
"What else did you tell him?" Jamie asked* looking suspicious. "I'd better know the full of it* Beak* so I can defend myself."
"I told him you were timid."
"You didn't!"
"Said you were weak* used to be being coddled."
"No."
"And that you liked to spend your days sewing and churchgoing."
Jamie started to laugh. "Why would you tell such stories?"
"Because I wanted to give you a little advantage*" Beak explained. His words fairly tripped over one another in his haste to hurry through the explanation. "I didn't tell him you could speak Gaelic* either."
"Neither did I."
The two confidants exchanged a grin. Then Jamie asked* "You're not sorry about all the skills you taught me* are you?"
"Of course not*" Beak answered. "But if your husband thinks you're puny* I figure he'll be on his guard to see to your safety* lass. He'll have more patience with you* to my way of thinking."
"I don't care what he thinks about me*" Jamie returned. "My pride's pricked because you made me out to be so inferior* though."
"Most women are inferior*" he countered.
"Do most women hunt for their family's supper? Do most ride their horses better than a warrior? Do most—"
"Don't turn hellion on me now*" Beak pleaded. "Just keep your talents to yourself for a while* Jamie. And don't go testing him just yet. It's best not to grab a wild dog by his tail unless you want the consequences* I always say."
"You've never said that before."
"Always meant to*" Beak answered. He gave another worried glance toward the drawbridge. "Get along now* Jamie."
"I've been storing this up for a long while* Beak* and I won't be rushed."
"Well?" Beak demanded in a near shout.
"I love you. I've never told you before* but I love you with all my heart. You've been a good father to me* Beak."
The bluster went out of the old man. His eyes misted with tears and his voice was strained when he whispered* "And I love you* Jamie. You've been a fine daughter to me. I've always considered you mine."
"Promise me you won't forget me."
There was a frantic edge in her voice. Beak squeezed her hand. "I won't forget."
Jamie nodded. Tears streamed down her cheeks. She brushed the wetness away* straightened her shoulders* and then nudged Wildfire into motion.
Beak stood in the center of the courtyard* watching his mistress leave. He prayed she wouldn't turn around. He didn't want her to see him in such an undisciplined state.
Heaven take mercy* he was weeping just like a man who'd lost his only child. In his heart he knew the truth: he was never going to see his baby again.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع
أنْت يـَـــا اللَّـه 【 تَكْفِينِي 】ツ

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 01:42 PM   #12

Dalyia

إدارية ومشرفة سابقة وكاتبة بمكتبة روايتي وعضوة بفريق التصميم والترجمة و الافلام والسينما ومعطاء التسالي ونجمة الحصريات الفنية ومميز بالقسم الطبى

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
?  نُقآطِيْ » Dalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond repute
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

Chapter Five

Contents - Prev | Next

Alec Kincaid was in a fine mood. He kept his smile and his pace restrained until his wife finally caught up with him. He wanted to laugh* for it was obvious to him that his naive bride had just tried to goad him into losing his temper. She took her own sweet time following after him. Jamie didn't realize what a patient man he was* especially when the matter was as insignificant as a woman. He found humor in the very idea that a mere woman would dare to challenge him at all.

As soon as he heard her approach* Alec increased his speed until both mounts were cantering. Jamie stayed right behind him* valiantly trying to ignore the dust flying up in her face. She was determined to keep up the inhuman* neck-breaking pace without uttering a word of protest. She also waited for her new husband to look back over his shoulder so he could see how well she was faring. She was going to give him a most serene expression* even if it killed her.

Alec Kincaid never bothered to look back.

Although Jamie was skilled* she wasn't used to riding in the stiff new saddle. She was more comfortable riding bareback.

Her backside and thighs were taking quite a pounding. The rocky* ill-tended north road made the beating all the more painful. Bushes barred the way and she had to dodge low-hanging branches while keeping firm control of her mount. She let her grimace show once she became convinced Alec wasn't even aware she was behind him* then began to bargain with her Maker that she'd give him twenty daily masses in a row without daydreaming once if he'd only make her demon husband slow down a little.

God wasn't in a bargaining mood. Jamie came to that conclusion when they caught up with Daniel and Mary. Alec immediately took the lead* never once breaking stride. Jamie stayed behind her husband. Mary* looking as worn out as an old boot* trailed behind* with Daniel taking up the rear.

Jamie knew it was for safety's sake they rode at such a grueling pace. She'd heard the stories about the bands of roving misfits who preyed on unsuspecting victims. She guessed that one warrior protected the women from the front in the event of a surprise attack* while the other blocked the rear for just the same reason. If bandits did try to breach the foursome* they'd have to get through Alec or Daniel in order to reach their brides.

Oh* she understood the reasons all right* but she was soon too worried about Mary to care.

They'd ridden for almost two full hours before her sister finally broke down. Jamie was immensely proud of Mary because she'd been able to last so long without complaining. Mury wasn't one to suffer discomfort of any sort.

"Jamie? I want to stop for a few minutes*" Mary called out.

"Nay* lass."

Daniel shouted the denial. Jamie couldn't believe his callous attitude. She turned around just in time to see Mary's husband emphasize his denial by shaking his head.

The pained look on Mary's face upset Jamie. She had turned to shout her own demand to Alec for a brief respite when she heard the shrill scream.

When Jamie turned around again* she found Mary's mount right behind her. Mary* however* was missing.

Everyone stopped* even Alec Kincaid.

Daniel reached his bride as Jamie and Alec had dismounted. Poor Mary was sprawled on her backside in the middle of a fat leafy bush. While Jamie dismounted* Daniel gently lifted Mary to her feet.

"Are you hurt* lass?" he asked* his voice filled with concern.

Mary brushed the hair out of her eyes before answering. "Only a little* milord*" she said.

There were several leaves clinging to Mary's hair. Daniel took his time pulling them free. Jamie saw the tender way he treated Mary and decided he had a few redeeming qualities* after all.

"What the hell happened?" Alec asked from behind Jamie's back.

She jumped at the sound of his voice* then turned around to face him.

"Mary fell off her horse."

"She what?"

"She fell off her horse."

Alec looked as if he didn't believe her. "She's English* Alec* or have you forgotten?" Daniel called out.

"What does that have to do with anything?" Jamie asked. She looked from one warrior to the other* then realized they were both trying not to smile.

"She could have broken her neck*" Jamie muttered.

"But she didn't*" Alec answered.

"She could have*" Jamie argued* infuriated by his cold attitude.

"She's all right now*" Daniel stated* drawing Jamie's attention back to him. "Aren't you* Mary?"

"I'm fine*" Mary said* blushing at all the attention she was getting.

"She is not fine*" Jamie announced. She turned back to Alec. He'd moved indecently close to her when she wasn't noticing and she almost bumped into him. Jamie took a quick step back* yet still had to tilt her head all the way back just to look into his eyes.

"Mary fell because…" Her voice trailed off. She'd just noticed the sprinkle of gold in his dark brown eyes. They were very appealing. She turned her gaze to his chest so she could regain her thoughts.

"Because…?" Alec asked.

"Mary's too exhausted to go on* milord. She must rest. She isn't at all accustomed to riding such long distances."

"And you* English? Are you accustomed to riding such long distances?"

Jamie shrugged. "My wants aren't at issue here. Mary is more important. Surely you can see how tired she is. A few minutes won't matter much to you."

She glanced up then* took in his expression* and wondered what she'd said to cause such a fierce frown.

"Mary's a gentle lady*" Jamie explained to his chest.

"And you're not?"

"Yes* of course I am*" Jamie stammered. He was deliberately twisting her words around. " 'Tis most unkind of you to suggest otherwise."

She glanced up at his face again just in time to catch his smile.

She suddenly realized he wasn't trying to be insulting. And he really was smiling at her* a sincere* tender smile that made her stomach feel as if it were full of sugar. She felt flooded with contentment.

She didn't know how to react.

"Are you always so serious* wife?"

The question sounded like a caress to her and had much the same effect as if he'd just brushed his hand across her heart.

God's truth* she was having an unusual reaction to this barbarian. Jamie decided she was just as exhausted as Mary was. Surely that was the reason Alec Kincaid was beginning to appeal to her. He was almost handsome now* in a raw* primitive way* of course. A lock of his hair had fallen on his forehead* giving him a rascal's appearance. That was unfor tunate* a worry as well* for Jamie always did have a liking for glib-tongued carefree rascals.

Without a thought to the consequences* she reached up and brushed the errant lock back where it belonged. She didn't want him to look like a rascal; she wanted him to stay mean-looking. Then her heart would surely quit pounding so loud in her ears and she'd be able to catch her breath* wouldn't she?

Alec didn't move when she touched him* but he liked the feel of her hand on his forehead. The gentle ministration surprised him. He wanted her to touch him again. "Why did you do that?" he asked* his tone mild.

"Your hair is too long*" Jamie answered* not daring to give him the truth.

"It isn't."

"You'll have to cut it."

"Why?"

"I can't trust a man whose hair is almost as long as mine*" she muttered.

Her explanation sounded ridiculous to her. She blushed and frowned to cover her embarrassment.

"I asked you if you were always so serious*" Alec reminded her with a grin.

"You did?"

Heaven help her* she couldn't seem to keep her mind on the conversation. It was all his fault* of course* for smiling her thoughts right out of her mind.

"I did."

Alec kept his amusement contained* for he guessed his bride would think he was laughing at her. For some reason he couldn't explain* he didn't want to harm her tender feelings. An odd reaction* he told himself* as he'd never been one to care overmuch for any woman's feelings.

He certainly cared now* he realized* even as he excused his behavior by reminding himself that she was English bred* after all* and therefore apt to be more skittish than a strong Highland lass.

Jamie was wringing her hands. Alec doubted she was aware of that telling action. It was a sign of fear* yet she contradicted the weakness by valiantly meeting his gaze now. Her high cheekbones were tinged pink with embarrassment. He knew she had to be as exhausted as her sister was. Neither woman seemed to have much stamina. The pace he'd set had been rigorous but necessary* because as long as they were on English soil* they were in danger. Yet his new bride hadn't complained or begged to stop* and that fact pleased him considerably. Gavin* Alec's second-in-command* would say she had grit. It was a high compliment for a Highlander to give a woman* and one Jamie had already earned just by standing up to him.

Gavin would have a hearty laugh if he could see his laird now* Alec decided. The smile faded from his face when he realized he was acting like a simpleton. He'd never spent this much time talking with a woman before. Yet now he was staring at his wife just like a man who'd never seen a pretty woman before. Hell* he was physically reacting to her* too; he could feel himself getting hard.

It was time to dismiss her from his thoughts.

"You're wringing your hands*" he muttered as he reached out to stop that action.

"I was pretending it was your neck*" Jamie said in reaction to his sudden scowl. "And* yes* milord* I am serious most of the time*" she rushed on* hoping to take his mind off her insult. "When I'm leaving England* I'm very serious. I'm leaving my cherished homeland."

"'Tis the same reason I'm smiling*" Alec said.

He wasn't smiling now* but Jamie decided not to mention that fact. "You're happy because you're going home?"

"Because we're going home." His voice was back to sounding like steel again.

"England is my home."

"Was*" he corrected* determined to set her straight. "Scotland is your home now."

"You wish me to give my loyalty to Scotland?"

"Wish?" he asked* grinning. "I don't wish it* wife. I command it. You'll be loyal to Scotland and to me."

She was back to wringing her hands. She had raised her voice to him when she asked her question* too* but Alec decided not to take exception to her behavior. He knew she needed time to sort the problem out in her mind. Because he was such a patient man* he decided to give her an hour or two to agree.

He thought he was being very courteous* and cautioned himself against letting such consideration become a habit.

"Let me understand this*" Jamie began. "You really think I'm going—"

"It's very simple* wife. If you're loyal to Scotland* you're loyal to me. You'll see the rightness of it once you've settled in."

"Once I've what?" Her voice was suspiciously soft.

"Once you've settled in*" Alec repeated.

Her throat started aching with the need to shout at this arrogant man. Then she remembered Beak's suggestion not to nudge the laird's temper until she knew what kind of reaction she was going to get.

She'd better be cautious* she decided. It was common knowledge that Scots lashed out before thinking better of it. They all beat their wives as often as the inclination came over them. "Sheep settle in* Kincaid. I'm a lady* if you haven't taken the time to notice."

"I've noticed."

The way he drew out that remark made her heart quicken. "Yes*" she stammered. "Women* you see* don't settle in. It isn't at all the same."

"It is*" he contradicted with a lazy grin.

"No* it isn't*" she snapped. "You'll have to take my word on this."

"Are you challenging me* English?"

His voice was hard enough to frighten her* but he was determined to make her understand her place.

He waited for her to cringe… and apologize.

"I am challenging you*" Jamie announced* nodding vigorously when he looked incredulous.

God's truth* he didn't know what to make of her now. Her voice and stance reeked with authority. She wasn't wringing her hands together* either* they were fisted at her sides. Alec knew he really shouldn't let her get away with her insolence. A wife should always agree with her husband. Jamie obviously hadn't heard of this sacred dictate* however. Why* she dared to stand up to him as though she were his equal.

That thought forced a deep chuckle. The woman was definitely daft* but she did have grit.

"I've been in England too long*" he admitted* "else I'd find your arguments overbearing* wife."

"Will you quit calling me 'wife'? I have a name. Can you not call me Jamie?"

"It's a man's name."

She wanted to throttle him. "It's my name."

"We'll find another."

"We will not."

"Dare you argue with me again?"

She wished she were as big as he was. He wouldn't dare laugh at her then. Jamie took a deep breath. "You say my arguments are overbearing* yet perhaps once I've settled in* as you've so obscenely put it* you'll get rid of your confusion and see the lightness in what I'm saying."

"Since I haven't the faintest idea what it is you're saying* I doubt it*" he countered.

"Now you've insulted me."

"I have?"

"You have."

He shrugged his big shoulders. "It's my right* wife."

She began a prayer for patience. "I see*" she whispered hoarsely. "Then I must assume it's also my right to insult you."

"It doesn't work that way."

Jamie gave up. The man was as stubborn as she was. "Have we crossed the border yet?"

Alec shook his head. "We've only a stone's throw to go."

"Then why were you smiling?"

"In anticipation."

"Oh."

Alec started to turn his back on her* but Jamie stayed the action with her next question. "Alec? You really dislike England* don't you?"

She hadn't been able to keep the amazement out of her voice. The very idea of anyone disliking her land was simply beyond her comprehension. Everyone loved England* even dull-witted Scotsmen who liked to throw trees at one another. Why* England was the Rome of modern times. Its grandeur couldn't be denied.

"I do dislike England most of the time. There are exceptions* though."

"Exceptions?"

He slowly nodded.

"Well? When don't you dislike England* then?"

"When I'm raiding."

"You actually admit to such a sin?" she asked* clearly appalled.

Alec's grin widened. Her blush had intensified until she looked as if the sun had burned her. His wife was so refreshingly honest in all her reactions. A deadly trait in a man* that* giving others advance warning of what he was thinking* yet most agreeable in a woman. Especially his woman.

"Well?"

Alec let out a long sigh. It was a pity* but his wife didn't seem to have any sense of humor. She couldn't tell when he was jesting with her. "Gain your mount. The sun is already setting*" he told her. "You may rest when we reach safety."

"Safety?"

"Scotland."

Jamie thought about asking him if he thought safety and Scotland were one and the same* then decided not to bother. She guessed his answer would just irritate her.

She had already learned two very unpleasant things about her husband. One: he didn't like being questioned or contradicted. That was going to be a problem* Jamie knew* for she was determined to question or contradict him whenever she wanted to. She didn't care if he liked it or not. Two: when he was scowling at her* she didn't like him much at all. The second flaw was almost as worrisome as the first. Alec's mood changed like the wind. The most innocent remarks made him scowl.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 01:42 PM   #13

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

"Jamie* I'm not getting back on that damn horse again."

Mary pulled on her sister's arm to get her attention. Alec heard the statement* but paid no attention to it. He turned and walked back to his mount. Jamie watched him* thinking to herself that he'd just dismissed her with as much care as one would give a piece of lint.

"That man's rude by half*" she muttered.

"Jamie* aren't you listening to me?" Mary demanded. "You're going to have to insist that we rest here for the night."

Jamie's heart went out to her sister. Mary's face was streaked with dirt. She looked as exhausted as Jamie felt. Jamie had a good deal more stamina than her sister did* but she'd been up most of the night before* helping one of the servants with her sick child.

She didn't dare offer Mary any sympathy* knowing that a firm hand was needed now. Mary would start crying if Jamie gave her an ounce of compassion. That thought was quite chilling. Once Mary got started* she was worse than the twins.

"What have you done with your pride?" Jamie demanded. "It's unladylike to use a common word like'damn' when you speak. Only serfs use such crude words* Mary."

The thunder went out of Mary's expression. "How can you lecture me now* for God's sake?" she wailed. "I want to go home. I miss my papa."

"Enough!" Jamie's command was given in a much harsher tone of voice. She patted her sister's shoulder to soften her rebuke* then whispered* "What's done is done. We're married to Scots* and that's that. Don't disgrace us by carrying on. Besides* it's only a little farther to the Highlands*" she exaggerated. "Alec has promised me that we'll stop for the night just as soon as we cross the border. Surely you can last a few more minutes* sister. Let your husband see what a courageous woman you are."

Mary nodded. "What if he's too dense to notice my courage?"

"Then I'll be happy to instruct him*" Jamie promised.

"Jamie* did you ever* in all your days* think we'd end up in this predicament? We're married to Scots!"

"No* Mary* I never once considered that eventuality."

"God must be very angry with us."

"Not God*" Jamie qualified. "Our king."

Mary's pitiful sigh trailed behind her as she walked back to her mount. Jamie watched her sister until she'd reached Daniel's side. The Scottish lord was smiling. Jamie guessed he was amused by the sight of his bride walking like an old woman with rickety knees.

Jamie shook her head over her sister's pitiful condition until she realized she was in much the same condition. Her legs were as shaky as dried leaves. She placed the blame on the stupid saddle she was forced to put up with so Alec would think she was a lady.

It took her three attempts to climb up on Wildfire's back. She'd made her mount nervous with the distraction* too. The mare started prancing* and it took Jamie precious strength to get her calm again.

Wildfire obviously didn't like the saddle any more than Jamie did.

Daniel had assisted Mary into her saddle* but Alec hadn't shown any such gentlemanly consideration. He wasn't even watching her. She wondered what held his attention* for he was gazing intently toward the area they'd just come from* a frown of concentration on his face.

Jamie decided to ignore him as thoroughly as he was ignoring* her. She turned to call a word of encouragement to her sister.

She never heard Alec approach. He was suddenly by her side. Before she could react* he'd pulled her off her mount. Then he half carried* half dragged her to the ragged boulder adjacent to the bush Mary had split down the middle when she took her fall. Alec shoved Jamie up against the rock with one hand* slapped Wildfire's flank with other* then turned his back on her and motioned to Daniel.

"Whatever are you—"

The rest of Jamie's question was pushed from her mind when Mary was shoved up against her. Daniel positioned himself in front of his bride. His broad back kept both women pinned to the boulder behind him.

When Daniel drew his sword* Jamie understood what was happening. She took a deep breath while she watched Daniel motion to Alec and hold up three fingers.

Alec shook his head* then indicated the number was four.

Mary still didn't catch on to the threat. Jamie slapped her hand over her sister's mouth when she started to stammer a protest.

Alec walked back to the center of the small clearing. Jamie pushed Mary's hair out of her face so she could see him clearly.

He hadn't drawn his weapon yet. Then Jamie realized that Alec didn't have a sword. Good God* the man was virtually defenseless.

Jamie was sick with fear for Alec's safety. With that fear came fury. What kind of warrior journeyed through the wilderness without a weapon at his side?

A damn forgetful one* Jamie decided with a scowl. He'd probably lost his sword somewhere along the way to London and hadn't bothered to replace it.

She'd have to intervene* of course. Alec Kincaid was her husband* and no one was going to put a mark on him as long as she lived. Refusing to understand the true reason she didn't want to see him harmed* she simply told herself she didn't want to be widowed on her wedding day* and that was that.

Jamie removed the small dagger from the looped belt she wore around her waist* hoping there was still time to pass the weapon to Alec. The dagger could inflict real injury if accuracy was employed. There was also Daniel's sword* Jamie remembered. She prayed Alec's friend knew how to wield his weapon and was just about to ask him to help her husband when Alec suddenly turned around.

He was motioning to Daniel. She could see his face clearly now and immediately started to shiver. The look of fury in those cold dark eyes terrified her. She could see the raw strength in his muscular arms and thighs. Anger was there* too. It washed over her like a hot wave. Power radiated from him until it became a thick mist surrounding them all.

She'd never seen such a look before* but she recognized it all the same: he was ready to kill.

Mary started crying. "It isn't a wild boar* is it* Jamie?"

"No* Mary*" Jamie whispered. She kept her gaze on her husband when she squeezed her sister's arm. "It will be all right. Our husbands will keep us safe. You'll see."

Jamie almost believed her assurance until she saw the bandits slowly advancing toward Alec. She guessed then it wasn't going to be all right at all.

Alec had moved quite a distance away from the others. Jamie thought he was deliberately trying to draw the bandits as far from the women as possible.

The thieves slowly followed him. They took their time* too* acting as if they had all the time in the world to see their kill completed. Alec was much larger than his enemies* but he was unarmed. The odds certainly didn't favor him. Two of the four bandits carried blackened clubs. The other two waved curved swords in the air. The slicing motion made the air whistle. There was dried blood crusted on the blades* indicating their earlier attacks had been successful.

Jamie thought she was going to be sick. They were such evil-looking men. They looked as if they enjoyed their sport; two were actually smiling. What teeth they had were as black as their clubs.

"Daniel* please go and help Alec*" Jamie ordered* her voice weak with fear.

"There are only four of them* lass. It will be over in just a minute."

His answer infuriated her. She knew Daniel stood in front of them to offer protection* yet didn't think that was noble given the fact that his friend was about to be slaughtered.

Jamie reached over Mary's shoulder and shoved Daniel's back. "Alec doesn't have a weapon to defend himself. Give him my dagger or your sword* Daniel."

"Alec doesn't need a weapon."

He answered her in such a cheerful voice that Jamie was certain he'd lost his mind.

She stopped trying to argue with him. "Either you go and help him or I will."

"All right* lass* if you insist." Daniel shrugged Mary's hands away from his tunic and started toward the men circling Alec.

Yet when he reached the edge of the clearing* he stopped. Jamie couldn't believe what she was seeing. Daniel calmly replaced his sword in his scabbard* folded his arms across his chest* and damn if he didn't grin at Alec.

Alec grinned back.

"We're wed to half-wits*" Jamie told Mary. She decided she was still more frightened than angry* as her voice actually shivered in the stillness.

A deep bellow suddenly gained her full attention. The battle cry came from Alec. The bone-chilling sound sent Mary into a fit of screaming.

The circle had tightened around Alec. He waited until the first was within striking distance* then moved so swiftly he became a blur of motion to Jamie. She watched him grab hold of one man by his throat and jaw* heard the horrid sound of bone cracking when he twisted the enemy's neck into an unnatural position.

Alec hurled the man to the ground just as two others* shouting their intentions* attacked from his left side. Alec slammed their heads together* then tossed them atop the crumpled man on the ground.

The last of the four dared to gain advantage by striking from behind. Alec whirled around* slammed his boot into the man's groin in what appeared to be the most effortless of motions* then lifted the man off the ground with one powerful blow of his fist centered beneath his jutting jaw.

The pile on the ground had grown to pyramid proportions. Daniel had been correct in his boast that it would soon be over* for less than a full minute had passed.

Alec didn't even look winded. That amazing thought had just taken root in Jamie's mind when a new sound caught her attention. She turned just as three big men came rushing toward her from the cover of the bushes on the opposite side of the boulder.

Like snakes they'd slithered through the thicket to get to the prize.

"Alec!" Jamie shouted.

"Jamie* you must protect me*" Mary screamed.

Before Jamie could respond* her sister pulled her away from the boulder. Mary flattened herself against the rock* then pulled Jamie in front of her. Though Mary was almost a head taller than her younger sister* once she'd hunched her shoulders down into the crease in the rock and tucked her face between Jamie's shoulderblades* she was well insulated from attack. The boulder shielded her back* and her sister shielded her front.

Jamie didn't try to protect herself. She understood her duty. Mary came first. If need be* she'd give her life to keep her safe.

The three men were almost upon them when Jamie remembered the small dagger she held in her hand. She took aim and threw the weapon* deliberately choosing the biggest of the three. Her aim proved true. The bandit let out an ear-piercing scream and collapsed.

Daniel charged the second of the three dark-haired men and knocked the villain to the ground with a mighty blow to his midsection. Alec had a greater distance to cover. By the time he'd almost reached his prey* it was too late. Though Jamie fought like a wildcat* the bastard had her in what appeared to be a death grip. His knife was pressed against her heart.

"Stop where you be*" the man shouted at Alec in a high-pitched screech. "I got nothing to lose now. If you come any closer* I'll kill her. I can snap her pretty little neck as easy as not."

Daniel had finished his fight and was slowly advancing from behind. Alec motioned for him to stop when the villain gave a fearful glance over his shoulder. He tightened his hold on Jamie's hair in reaction to this new threat* then twisted the mass around his hand as he jerked her head back.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 01:43 PM   #14

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Chirolp Krackr

Alec saw the wild* hunted look in the man's bleak eyes. It was obvious the bastard was terrified* for Alec could see his hands were shaking. His enemy was of medium height* with a bloated face and stomach. He was going to be a quick kill* Alec decided* once he'd released Jamie and she wasn't in jeopardy. The man was in a panic now* however. His fear made him as unpredictable as a cornered rat. The enemy might very well try to kill Jamie if provoked… or if he believed his situation was completely hopeless.

It was hopeless* of course. He would die. His fate had been decreed the moment he touched Jamie.

Alec kept his fury contained* waiting for his opportunity. He affected a casual stance* folded his arms across his chest* and tried his damnedest to look bored.

"I'm meaning what I say*" the captor shouted. "And shut the other woman up. I can't think with her screaming like that."

Daniel immediately went over to Mary. He clamped his hand over her mouth* forcing her to be silent* yet never once spared her a sympathetic glance. His full attention was on Jamie's captor as he also waited for his chance to strike.

The fear slowly ebbed from the enemy's eyes. He snickered* obviously sensing victory was now on his side. Alec knew he had him then. The rat was getting ready to scurry out of his corner. He was feeling content* and that false confidence was going to be his destruction.

"This one be your woman?" the man bellowed at Alec.

"She is."

"You care for her?"

Alec shrugged.

"Oh* you're caring all right*" the enemy shouted. He chuckled with glee then. It was a foul* grating sound. "You don't want me killing your pretty* now* do you?" He tore at Jamie's hair* hoping to cause a grimace as further proof of his power and their impotence* but when he glanced at the hellion he'd captured* he realized he'd failed.

His hostage was glaring at him. He knew he was hurting her* but she stubbornly refused to cry out.

Alec had avoided looking at his wife's face* knowing the fear he'd see in her gaze would undermine his concentration. His rage would be uncontrollable then. Yet when the blackguard twisted Jamie's hair so forcefully* Alec instinctively looked at her.

She didn't appear to be afraid. God's truth* she looked bloody furious. Alec was so surprised by her show of courage that he almost smiled.

"Get me one of them fine horses*" her captor ordered. "When I'm feeling safe and sure you ain't sniffing after me* I'll let your pretty go."

Alec shook his head. "No."

"What say you?"

"I said no*" Alec answered* his voice as calm now as the soft wind. "You can have her* but you cannot have her horse."

Jamie let out a loud gasp. "Shut your mouth* bitch*" her enemy muttered. He pressed his blade to her throat* glaring at Alec all the while. "I'm wanting both* damn your hide."

Alec shook his head again. "Take the woman if you want* but not the horse."

"I said I'm wanting both!" His voice sounded like the screech of a trapped bird.

"No."

"Let him have both* Alec*" Daniel interjected. "You can easily replace her and her horse."

Jamie couldn't believe what she was hearing. The urge to weep was almost overwhelming. "Alec?" she whispered* her worry obvious in her tone. "You can't mean it."

"I told you to shut your mouth*" the enemy ordered again. He gave her hair another vicious yank to emphasize his command.

Jamie slammed her foot down on top of his in retaliation.

"Daniel* get her horse*" Alec ordered. "Now."

"Let the other woman fetch it*" the captor shouted.

Daniel ignored that command and walked over to Wildfire.

Jamie couldn't believe what was happening to her. She could have sworn she heard Daniel whistling. She knew the Scots didn't like the English* but this horrendous conduct was simply untenable. She was trying desperately not to be afraid. Alec wasn't making that task easy for her. After giving her only a quick glance* he'd ignored her. God help her* he had looked downright bored—until her enemy demanded her horse* Jamie qualified. Alec hadn't looked bored then. He looked furious.

Cholie had been right* after all. The Scots did value their horses more than their women.

If she'd had anything in her stomach* she certainly would have lost it by now. The scoundrel squeezing her so indecently smelled like a forgotten chamber pot. Every time she took a breath* she wanted to gag.

"Put the horse between her man and me*" Jamie's captor ordered.

Alec waited for his chance. He moved when Daniel approached* grabbed the reins out of his friend's hands* and pulled Wildfire as close to his opponent as possible.

What happened next so startled Jamie that she didn't have time to react. She suddenly found herself flying through the air like a disk. She heard her captor's scream of agony just as Daniel caught her in his arms.

Jamie turned in time to see Alec plunge the enemy's dagger into his throat.

She did gag then* twice. Daniel hastily put her down. Mary came flying across the clearing and hurled herself at Jamie. The danger was over* but Mary continued to cry hysterically.

Jamie closed her eyes and concentrated on calming her racing heartbeat. Mary was clinging to her now* squeezing the breath out of her.

Jamie was suddenly shaking like a leaf in a windstorm. Her legs felt as brittle as kindling wood.

"You may open your eyes now."

Alec gave her that order. When Jamie did as he commanded* she found her husband standing just a breath away from her.

His eyes didn't look so terribly cold now. In truth* she thought he looked close to smiling. That didn't make any sense to her. She'd just seen him kill so easily* so brutally* so casually. And now he looked as if he wanted to smile over it.

Jamie couldn't make up her mind if she wanted to run away from him or stay and throttle him.

While she stared up at her husband* she heard Daniel order Mary to come with him* then felt him pry her sister's hands away from her. She didn't have the strength to help with that chore* yet she did wonder why Daniel sounded so angry with Mary and why Alec looked so damned cheerful.

Jamie wasn't aware her hands were clenched together. Alec was. "It's finished*" he told her in a soft voice.

"Finished?" she repeated. She turned to look at the man Alec had just felled* and immediately started to shake.

Alec moved to block her view. He held up her dagger* his intent to give it back to her* but stayed that action when he saw how upset she was. She acted as though the dirk had suddenly become possessed by demons.

"This belongs to you* doesn't it?" he asked* confused by the unreasonable fear in her eyes.

Jamie took a step to the side* looked down at the dead man again* staring at the gaping hole in his neck where the dagger had penetrated.

Alec again moved to block her view. "Wife?"

She started backing away from him. "I don't want the dagger anymore. Throw it away. I have another one in my satchel."

"He's dead* wife*" Alec stated* trying to be reasonable. "You needn't keep looking at him* lass. He can't hurt you now."

"Aye* he's dead*" she stated with a vehement nod. "You tossed me in the air* Alec* just like a…"

"Caber?"

She nodded again. "You killed him so easily* milord. I've never seen…"

When she didn't finish her statement* Alec let out a sigh. "It was good of you to notice*" he said then.

She gave him an incredulous look while she continued to back away from him. "It was good of me…? Do you think I am giving you praise* husband?" She paused to take a deep breath* trying to ease the ache in her throat* then looked at the dagger he was holding. "Throw that away* if you please. I don't want to look at it."

"Does the sight of blood upset you?" he asked. He thought her behavior most confusing. The woman had been a tigress only minutes before* when she struggled with her captor* yet now was acting like a frightened child.

Alec tried once again to calm her. He tossed the dagger over his shoulder.

"Yes—I mean* no*" Jamie suddenly blurted out.

"Yes and no what?" he asked.

"You asked me if the sight of blood distresses me*" Jamie explained in a rush. "And I answered you."

"You did?"

She threaded her fingers through her hair* inadvertently making it more disheveled than before* then whispered* "That blood makes me sick."

She had to sigh then. She'd meant to tell him she was used to seeing blood* that she was a healer and had probably mopped up enough blood to turn a river red* but it was simply too much trouble to try to explain anything. She was still reacting to the terrible upset she'd just had* she told herself* and to her husband's incredible strength.

There was also the rather painful fact that he had been very willing to give her away. Her horse actually meant more to him than she did.

She was going to have nightmares for a month.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 01:44 PM   #15

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Chirolp Krackr

Alec suddenly reached out and pulled her into his arms. "If you take another step back* you'll end up on top of the heap."

Jamie took one look over her shoulder* saw the stack of bodies* and felt her knees give out on her. She would have fallen on her face if he hadn't held her up.

Yet even in her distressed state* she couldn't help noticing how very gentle he was being. A contradiction* that* given the fact that he was such a giant of a man. It didn't seem possible that someone his size could be so gentle. Yet it seemed just as unlikely that he could dispose of four armed attackers without showing the least bit of exertion. The man hadn't even worked up a proper sweat.

He smelled nice. Jamie leaned against his chest and let him hold her.

"Did you mean it* Alec?" she whispered.

"Mean what?" he asked.

She didn't explain quickly enough to suit him. He tilted her chin up so he could see her expression. "Mean what* wife?"

"When you told that horrible man he could have me but not my horse*" she explained. "Did you really mean what you said?"

He would have laughed if she hadn't looked so upset. "No."

She immediately collapsed against him. "Then why did you sound as if you meant it?"

Her voice was still whisper-soft* but he heard her all the same. Alec couldn't believe she harbored such a worry. Give her up? Never! "I wanted him to think he was in control* lass."

"He was in control* Alec*" Jamie argued. "He was the one with the knife."

"Ah* I see*" Alec returned* a smile in his voice now. "Then the men who circled me were also in control."

"Well* no*" Jamie whispered. "I mean to say* they did have weapons* but you were the one who… took charge."

Before he could respond to that comment* Jamie added* "Then it was all a trick* wasn't it? You lied to him."

"I lied to him."

She let out another long sigh before her shivers reminded her how frightened she'd been. She immediately shoved away from him.

Jamie was back to being bloody furious. There was fire in her eyes* Alec thought* and he didn't have the faintest idea why she was angry now. The woman was as puzzling as a maze.

Ignoring her command to let go of her* Alec draped his arm around her shoulders* hauled her up against his side* and led her over to where Daniel had collected the horses.

Jamie didn't offer a word of gratitude when he lifted her up onto Wildfire's back. She kept her gaze downcast until he handed her the reins. His hands brushed against hers* startling her. She jerked her hands away.

"Look at me."

He waited until she obeyed his command before speaking again. "You've shown me how courageous you are* wife. I'm very pleased with you."

Her eyes widened in surprise. Alec smiled. He'd just found a rather simple way to placate her: praise. Wasn't it true that all women liked to hear their husbands' expressions of approval from time to time? Alec decided to remember that fact for future use.

"You might be pleased with me* husband* but I'm certainly not pleased with you* you arrogant Scotsman."

The thunder in her voice surprised him as much as her retort.

"You don't want my approval?"

She didn't bother to answer his question* but the anger in her expression told him he'd misjudged her. She wasn't one to be swayed by praise. Alec nodded with satisfaction. "Tell me why you were so frightened."

Jamie shook her head. She stared down at her hands while he stared at her frown. "I asked you a question*" he reminded her.

She shook her head. Alec held his patience. "A wife must always obey her husband's commands*" he instructed.

"Is this another one of your Highland commandments?"

"It is*" he answered with a grin.

"Why is it the rest of the world only needs to obey ten commandments to get to heaven* but you Scots have need for so many extra ones? Is it because you're all such sinners* do you suppose?"

"When you get your grit back* it's with a vengeance* isn't it?" he said.

"Grit?"

"Never mind."

He was smiling at her* indicating how pleased he was. She decided he was daft. "I'd like to be on my way now* Alec."

"Not until you explain why you were so frightened."

"Worried* Alec. I was worried."

"All right* worried* then*" Alec agreed* letting her have her way.

"Do you want the truth?" she asked.

"The truth."

"When you were fighting… well* there was this moment when I thought you were looking right at me* and I did think to myself that I must never make you angry* for I couldn't defend myself against your superior strength."

Alec had to lean forward to catch all of her explanation. She sounded so forlorn. He tried not to laugh. "It's going to be difficult for me* Alec*" she continued. "I know this will probably surprise you* but I think there will be times when I irritate you."

"It doesn't surprise me at all."

"Why not?" she asked* looking disgruntled.

"You're irritating me now."

"Oh."

"Jamie* I'll never hurt you."

She stared into his eyes for a long moment. "Even when your temper gets the better of you? The Scots all have fierce tempers* Alec. Surely you'll admit to that."

"I'll never lose my temper with you. I give you my word."

"But if you do?" she asked.

"I still won't hurt you."

She finally believed him. Jamie quit trying to pull her hands away from his grasp. "I've heard the Scots all beat their wives."

"I've heard the same about the English."

"Some do* others don't."

"I don't."

She nodded. "You don't?"

Alec shook his head. He was convinced she was feeling safe with him. "When we first met* I could see the apprehension in your eyes. While I believe it's good for a wife to be fearful of her husband* this unreasonable fear I saw—"

"Pray forgive my rudeness for interrupting you* but I simply must tell you it isn't at all good for a wife to be afraid of her husband. I was worried* not afraid* of course* but most women would be afraid of you. I'm made of stronger character* however."

"Why?"

"Why what?" Jamie asked* confused by the way he was grinning at her and the way her heart was reacting to his devilish smile.

"Why would most women be afraid of me?"

She had to turn her gaze away from his handsome eyes before she could give him a proper answer. "Because you happen to be a very… large man. 'Tis the truth you're the biggest warrior I've ever seen."

"Have you seen others?" he asked* hiding his exasperation.

She frowned over his question* then shook her head. "Actually* no* I haven't."

"So it's my size that made you… worried."

"You're also as strong as a legion of soldiers put together* Alec* and you just killed four men*" she added. "Surely you haven't forgotten that fact."

"Only one."

"Only one what?" she asked* temporarily sidetracked by the sparkle in his eyes. She had the dark suspicion he wanted to laugh at her.

"I only killed one man*" he explained. "The one who dared to touch you. Most of them aren't dead* just indisposed. Did you want me to kill all of them?"

He sounded very accommodating. "Good God* no*" Jamie assured him. "But what about the man Daniel struck down when they tried to harm Mary?"

"You'll have to ask him."

"I don't want to ask him anything."

"The bastards tried to harm you* too* Jamie."

"Mary's more important."

"You actually believe this nonsense?"

"It's always been my duty to protect my sisters* Alec."

"Why haven't you asked me about the man you struck down with your dagger?" Alec asked. "Your aim was true* wife*" he added* thinking to give her a little more praise. "You killed—"

"I don't wish to discuss it*" she shouted* dropping Wildfire's reins.

Now what had he said? His gentle little wife looked as if she might faint. The woman was a mystery to him. Alec shook his head. Jamie seemed to have a true aversion to killing. It was another quirk in her nature* to be sure* yet at the same time* he admitted to liking that flaw.

The woman would make him soft in all his attitudes if he let her. She was going to have to get used to killing. It was the way of life in the rugged Highlands. Only the strongest survived. He was going to have to toughen her up* he decided* or she wouldn't make it through the first harsh winter.

"All right* wife*" Alec stated. "We won't discuss it."

The tension went out of her shoulders. Alec noticed she was a little unsteady on her mount* so he put his arm around her waist.

"What I did* I did in self-defense*" Jamie told him. "If I injured that disgusting man* God will certainly understand. Mary's life was at stake."

"Aye*" Alec agreed. "You did injure him."

"On the other hand* Father Charles will never understand. If he gets wind of this business* Alec* he'll have me wearing black for the rest of my days."

"The priest who married us?" he asked* totally perplexed again.

Jamie nodded. "You worry about the strangest things*" Alec remarked. "'Tis a flaw in your nature* to my way of thinking."

"Oh? Then go and give Father Charles your confession* and after* tell me I worry for naught. The man's very imaginative with his penances."

Alec started laughing. He lifted Jamie into his arms and started toward his mount.

Jamie put her arms around his neck. "What are you doing?"

"You're going to ride with me."

"Why?"

His sigh nearly parted her hair. "Are you going to question everything I do or say?"

Jamie tilted her head back so she could see his face. Alec came to an immediate stop. The sparkle in her eyes* added to her slow* sweet smile* unsettled him.

"Will it make you angry if I do?"

"Do what?"

"Question you."

"No* I'll never get angry with you."

Her smile enchanted him. "I'm wed to the most amazing man*" she told him. "You never get angry or lose your temper."

"Dare you bait me* English?"

Alec's full attention was centered on her mouth. He wanted to take her lower lip between his teeth* wanted to sink his tongue inside her* to taste the sweet honey that now belonged to him. Her fingers were stroking the back of his neck* whether by intent or by accident* he couldn't discern* and her soft* full breasts were pressed against his chest.

A man could only take so much provocation* Alec told himself.

He slowly lowered his head toward her. Jamie met him halfway.

Her mouth was just as soft as he remembered* just as arousing. It was a tender* undemanding kiss* entirely too brief* and thoroughly frustrating in Alec's opinion. She wouldn't open her mouth for him and pulled away just as he was about to force his invasion.

She looked damned happy with herself* too. Alec didn't let her see how frustrated he was. For all her courage and remarkable beauty* she sure as certain didn't know how to kiss.

It would* of course* be his duty to instruct her. Alec smiled in anticipation.

"Thank you* Alec."

"Why are you thanking me?" he asked. He lifted her onto his saddle* then settled himself behind her in one quick motion. Her backside nestled against the junction of his thighs. She moved* apparently trying to be comfortable. He grimaced in reaction. Alec wrapped his arm around her waist* lifted her high onto his lap* and held her tightly against him.

"Well?" he asked when she didn't immediately answer him.

"I'm thanking you for your consideration."

He misunderstood her comment. " 'Tis obvious you haven't ridden much*" he said. "I'll instruct you in the proper way when we're settled in."

Jamie didn't bother to correct him. If he wanted to believe she was uneducated* then she'd let him. He probably wouldn't believe she was really skilled anyway* or that it was the new saddle giving her trouble now. If she admitted that she liked to ride bareback* as some warriors did* he would naturally conclude she wasn't much of a lady. She would let him think what he wanted. Beak had been right* she decided* for Alec was being more patient with her. He certainly wouldn't be holding her in his lap if he knew she didn't need his help. Jamie smiled to herself and leaned back against her husband. It felt good to be pampered. In time* she promised* she would set him straight. For now* however* she'd let him take charge.

Wives were a nuisance* Alec decided* but this one… she smelled so feminine* felt so soft* so right in his arms. She kept trying to edge his hand away from the undersides of her breasts. He smiled over her timidity* certain that once he'd bedded her* she'd be rid of this shyness. He was suddenly eager to make camp. Tonight he would take her* make her his; tonight she would give herself to him.

For a Scot* he certainly had a most appealing scent. Jamie had to smile over that daft admission. In the space of one short day she'd gone from hating the man to almost liking him. God only knew she felt safe enough with him. If her emotions continued along this illogical course* though* she just might let him kiss her again… in another day or two.

And if he proved to be all she wanted in a husband* well* then* eventually* after a long* satisfying courtship* of course* she might let him bed her.

It was a blessing Alec was such a patient man. She would simply explain her reticence and he'd agree to her terms.

And that was that.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 01:45 PM   #16

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

Chapter Six

Contents - Prev | Next

They made camp an hour later* near a deep mountain-fed pool of clear water. While Daniel and Alec attended to the horses* Jamie unpacked the basket of food Agnes had thoughtfully prepared for their supper. Mary leaned against a tree trunk* watching her sister work. Jamie thought she looked quite miserable.

Jamie spread a small blanket on the ground. She sat down on one edge* folded her skirts so that not even a hint of ankle showed* and motioned for Mary to join her.

Both she and her sister were trying to ignore their husbands. Alec and Daniel had each taken a turn washing in the pool. It hadn't bothered Jamie much at all when Daniel came strolling back into camp without his tunic. Alec's bare chest was another matter altogether. When she glanced up and caught sight of him* her breath caught in her throat. His body was bronzed from the sun. The ripple of muscle in his shoulders and upper arms reminded her of his strength* and the dark gold hair covering his massive chest emphasized his raw masculinity. The hair tapered to his flat stomach* then disappeared beneath the waist of his black pants.

"I don't want Daniel to touch me."

Mary's whispered fear captured Jamie's attention. "It's only natural to be a little afraid*" she whispered* trying to sound as if she knew what she was talking about.

"He kissed me."

Jamie smiled. Now she felt that she was on safe ground. She knew all about kissing. "It's his right to kiss you* Mary. Alec kissed me* too*" she added. "Twice* if you count the wedding kiss. I thought it was very nice."

"Did he kiss you the way a man kisses a woman when he wants to mate with her?" Mary asked. "You know* did his tongue touch yours?"

Jamie didn't know what Mary was talking about* but she wasn't going to let her ignorance show. "You didn't like it* Mary?" she asked* avoiding a true answer.

"It was disgusting."

"Oh* Mary." Jamie sighed. "Perhaps* in time* you'll get to like the way Daniel kisses."

"I might have liked it if he hadn't been so angry with me*" Mary muttered. "He just grabbed me and kissed me. I still don't know why he's upset. He keeps frowning."

"You aren't imagining this anger?"

"No. Will you speak to him* Jamie? Find out what has him so prickly."

Daniel walked over and sat down next to Mary before Jamie could answer her request. She nudged Mary* then motioned to the food. Mary caught the silent message and offered a portion of the food to her husband.

Alec separated himself from the threesome. He sat on the ground with his back against a fat tree trunk. He looked very relaxed. One leg was bent at the knee* making the sleek bulge of muscle in his thigh all the more prominent.

Jamie tried not to look as nervous as she was feeling. Alec was staring at her. She told herself she just wasn't used to being the center of anyone's attention* and surely that was the only reason she was feeling so awkward.

She motioned him over to join her. Alec shook his head* then ordered her to come to him.

Jamie decided to give in. He was her husband and she supposed it was her duty to try to get along with him. She gathered a large wedge of cheese* some crusty bread* one of the three leather pouches of ale* and finally walked over to Alec.

He accepted her offering without comment. Jamie started to go back to Mary's side* but Alec wouldn't let her leave. He pulled her down next to him* softening her fall by bracing his arm around her waist.

She couldn't help but notice how possessive his touch was. She kept her back as straight as a lance and folded her hands in her lap.

"Are you back to being afraid of me* English?"

"I was never afraid* Scot*" she answered. "Only worried."

"Are you still worried?"

"No."

"Then why are you trying to ease my arm away?"

"It isn't decent to touch like this in front of others* Alec."

"It isn't?"

She ignored the amusement in his voice. "No* it isn't*" she repeated. "And my name is Jamie. You've still to say it* Alec."

"It's a man's name."

"Are we back to that?"

"Aye* we are."

She refused to look at him until he finished laughing* then said* "My name certainly seems to give you vast amusement. I suppose that's all for the better* Alec* because you're in a fine mood* you see* and I wanted to tell you something you might take exception to* but once you hear me out* why* I'm certain you'll agree with my decision."

The seriousness in her tone puzzled him. "What is it you wish to ask me?"

"I would ask that you not… touch me. I don't know you well enough to allow such liberties."

"Allow?"

A shiver of dread passed down her spine. It was apparent from his tone of voice that he didn't care for her choice of words. "Alec? Do you want a wife who is unwilling?"

"Are you asking me or your hands?" Alec countered.

"You."

"Then look at me."

The command was given in a hard voice. She needed all her determination to do as he ordered. It would have been easier if he hadn't been sitting so close to her. He wouldn't let her scoot away from him* either* no matter how many times she tried.

She finally managed to look into his eyes for a full minute* then lowered her gaze to stare at his mouth. That error in judgment made her sigh. It didn't seem to matter where she looked. The man was hard all over. A day's growth of whiskers made him all the more fierce-looking.

Jamie had the feeling he was trying to read her thoughts when she glanced into his eyes again. It was an absurd feeling* but it was there all the same.

She was suddenly hot and cold and thoroughly confused.

"Now ask me your question again*" he said.

"Do you want an unwilling wife?" she repeated* her voice a low whisper.

"I don't particularly want a wife at all."

She took immediate exception to that honesty. "Well* you've got one."

"Aye* I have* and English at that."

If her back became any straighter* Alec thought her spine might crack.

His new wife was blessed with a giant-sized temper. She looked ready to let go of that precious control of hers* too. She was clasping her hands together now in a grip that had to be painful.

"I wonder why you say the word 'English' as though it were a blasphemy."

"It is."

"It isn't."

Her blush deepened when she realized she'd just shouted at him. She glanced up to measure Alec's reaction. He was frowning* but she didn't think he realized how very angry he was making her. She was well disciplined in hiding her emotions.

"You could never care for an English wife* then?"

"Care for?"

"You know my meaning."

"Explain it."

The man was as dense as fog. "Love*" Jamie snapped. Noticing that Mary and Daniel were both staring at her* she paused to give them a smile* then turned to glare at Alec. "You could never love an English wife?" she whispered.

"I doubt it."

"You doubt it?"

"You needn't shout*" Alec remarked. He was thoroughly enjoying her outrage. "Does my honesty upset you?"

She had to take a deep breath before answering him. "No* your honesty doesn't upset me* but I do find your amusement most insulting* milord. We're discussing a serious topic."

"Serious by your measure* not mine."

"You don't consider marriage an important undertaking?"

"No."

"No?"

She looked appalled and furious. Alec thought it was an enchanting combination. "You're only an insignificant part of my life* wife. When you understand the way of life in the Highlands* you'll see how foolish your fears are."

"I'm insignificant and foolish? Alec* you must find me most inferior*" she countered. "Yet you're ready for sainthood* aren't you? Why* you never lose your temper or get angry. Isn't that what you told me?"

"True*" Alec admitted* grinning. "I did say that."

"I didn't particularly want to marry you either* Kincaid."

"I noticed."

"You did?"

She actually seemed surprised. Alec let her see his exasperation. "You wore a black gown to your wedding*" he reminded her.

"I happen to like this gown*" she returned* pausing to brush a bit of dust off the hem. "I might wear it every other day."

"Ah* so you could never come to care for me?" he asked.

"'Tis most doubtful."

Alec did laugh then* a low* rumbling sound that made Jamie think the earth was trembling.

"Why does my honesty make you laugh?"

"'Twas the way you gave it."

"I don't want to continue this discussion* Alec. If you've finished your meal* I'll put the food away."

"Let your sister see to that duty."

"It's my responsibility*" she explained.

"Just as it was your responsibility to protect her?"

"Yes."

"Mary believes this nonsense* too* doesn't she?"

"Nonsense? Since when is doing one's duty nonsense?"

"Daniel and I heard your sister order you to guard her when the English bastards attacked. We saw her use you as her shield."

"They weren't English bastards*" Jamie corrected* concentrating on that remark. He was determined not to understand about Mary and she wasn't in the mood to argue. "I'm certain the infidels came from…" She was about to tell him she was sure the scoundrels had crossed over the border from Scotland* then thought better of it. "They belong to no country. That is why they're called outcasts* don't you suppose?"

"I suppose*" Alec allowed* letting her have her way. She was frowning enough to make him think that issue was of grave importance to her. "I thought you were the youngest daughter*" he stated. "I heard your father call you his baby." He smiled after making that comment* then added* "I was mistaken?"

"No* you weren't mistaken*" Jamie replied. "I am the youngest. And Papa does like to call me his baby." She blushed after making that confession.

"Yet Mary forced you to be her shield."

"Oh* no* she didn't force me*" Jamie argued.

"Aye* she did."

Her voice had gone suspiciously soft. Jamie didn't retreat from his frown this time. "You can't possibly understand* Alec. You're a Scot* if you'll remember* and can't possibly know how the English do things. You'll just have to take my word on this issue. It has always been my duty to protect my older sisters. It's probably the same in every household in England."

"Your opinions displease me."

She didn't particularly care if her opinions pleased him. She shrugged to show her indifference.

"You're the baby*" he continued. "For that reason* your older sister should have looked after you."

She shook her head. The man seemed determined to make her change her mind. "No* it's the other way around* milord."

Now Alec shook his head. "The strong must always protect the weak* wife; the older must always protect the younger. And that's the way it is everywhere* even in the hallowed country of England."

While he watched in fascination* Jamie's eyes turned a deep violet. She wasn't at all happy with his views. That truth was emphasized when she jabbed at his shoulder. "I am not weak."

Alec resisted the urge to take her into his arms and kiss the outrage out of her. Lord* she was really too beautiful for his peace of mind.

"No* you're not weak*" he admitted.

The bluster went out of her then. "It was good of you to notice*" she said.

"Yet you were afraid of me."

"Do you have to keep bringing that up? It's most unkind of you to remind me of that incident* Alec."

"Perhaps I have an unkind nature."

"You don't."

He was surprised by her quick* vehement denial. "You sound very sure of that."

"I am*" Jamie admitted. "You were kind to my father when he carried on so*" she reminded him. "You were patient and understanding. Most men wouldn't have shown such compassion."

She thought she'd just praised him* yet his shout of laughter told her he was more amused than appreciative.

"It's bad manners to laugh when given a compliment* Alec. Damn rude* too."

"Compliment? Wife* you just insulted me when you called me compassionate. Never has that word been put to me."

"I disagree*" she countered. "Just because you haven't been called compassionate before doesn't mean—"

"A wife should never disagree with her husband."

He looked sincere. It was high time* she decided* to set him straight. "A wife must give her husband her opinion*" she stated* "whenever it seems needed. It's the only way a good marriage survives* Alec. You must take my word on this matter*" she added before turning away from the incredulous look on his face.

"Stop trying to push my hands away. You belong to me now. I won't allow you to pull away when I touch you."

"I've already explained that I'm not ready to belong to you just yet."

"It doesn't matter if you're ready or not."

He sounded downright cheerful when he stated that truth. "Alec* I'm not going to sleep with you as wife until I've gotten to know you better. Surely you can understand my reticence."

"Oh* I understand*" he said.

Jamie dared a quick look up* saw the laughter lurking in his dark eyes* and suddenly realized how much he was enjoying her embarrassment. She knew she was acting foolish. Her hands were clenched tight and she'd started trembling again.

"You're frightened. Beak explained that you…"

"I'm not frightened. I'm… worried."

He stated the obvious then. "You're blushing like a virgin."

She gave him a disgruntled look before answering. "I can't help that. I am a virgin."

Alec laughed in spite of himself. She sounded ashamed* as if she'd just confessed a dark sin.

"Will you please stop laughing at me? It's insulting."

"Your virginity belongs to me* Jamie. A bride shouldn't be embarrassed by her purity."

He'd finally used her name. Jamie was so pleased that she smiled.

"Alec? Would you have chosen me if I hadn't been… pure?"

"I would*" he answered immediately.

"Really?"

"Aye* and don't make me repeat myself* Jamie."

He sounded irritated now. "You're a most unusual man* Alec. Most knights wouldn't have a woman who'd given herself to another man."

"Oh* I'd have you all right*" Alec returned. "But I'd also gain the name of the man who dishonored you before marriage."

"And then?"

"I'd kill him."

Jamie believed he meant what he said. She shivered in reaction. Killing certainly didn't bother him much. "The question isn't relevant since you're a virgin* is it?"

"No* I suppose not*" she admitted. "Well* Alec? Are you willing to wait until I know you better? Before you… that is* before we…"

The poor lass couldn't even get the words out. Alec suddenly wanted to ease her fear* though he didn't have the damnedest idea why. He would take her* of course* but he didn't want her cringing away from him or waiting in dread. He decided to use a little diplomacy. "Until you wear my plaid* Jamie. We'll wait until then."

She looked as though she'd just been given a reprieve from purgatory. Her reaction did chafe his good mood.

"Will you give me your word* Alec?"

"I've just given it*" he stated. He suddenly hauled her up against his side* tilted her chin back until she was forced to look into his eyes. "Never ask me to repeat my word to you in future* wife."

She would have nodded agreement if he had let go of her chin. Alec slowly leaned down and kissed her. She was too stunned to resist. His mouth was hard* yet wonderfully warm* too. Once again* just as she was beginning to respond* Alec pulled away.

"I thank you for your understanding*" Jamie murmured.

"Your feelings are of little significance to me. You're simply my wife* my chattel. Remember that and we'll get along well together."

"Your chattel?" Jamie all but strangled on her words. God's truth* she'd never felt this humiliated* this inferior* in all her days.

Alec reached up and gently tapped her between her shoulderblades. "Chew your food* lass* before you try to swallow it*" he advised.

He knew damn good and well she hadn't eaten anything. "You're doing it on purpose* aren't you* Alec?"

"Doing what?"

"You needn't look so innocent* husband. You're trying to make me angry."

Alec nodded. That slow grin was back in evidence.

"Why?"

"To show you it's acceptable."

"I don't understand."

"No matter what you do or what you say* I will never lose my patience with you. It's my duty to keep you safe* Jamie. It's really very simple* this lesson I've just given you* and when you think about it* you'll see how I just allowed you to speak your thoughts without reacting the least unpleasantly."

"Are you telling me this entire conversation was just a lesson for your ignorant English bride?"

When Alec nodded* Jamie started laughing.

"And so* Alec* if I tell you I think you're the most insulting warrior I've ever had the misfortune to meet* you wouldn't be at all bothered?"

"I wouldn't."

"You've just given me your promise not to touch me until I wear your plaid* milord* and now I'll give you a promise. You'll rue the day you ever boasted of never losing your patience with me* husband. I give you my word."

Before Alec could answer her challenge* she slapped his hand away and moved away from him. "I'm going to have a bath. That horrible man touched me*" she told him. "And I'm going to scrub until I feel clean again. Do you have any other insults you'd like to throw my way before I leave?"

Alec shook his head. The low-hanging branches on the tree he was leaning against actually swayed with his movement. Jamie realized that his size didn't intimidate her any longer. She didn't understand why her reaction to him had changed* but the fear was gone.

He hadn't killed his first wife. That sudden thought popped into her mind all at once and was immediately followed by another startling one.

She trusted him. Completely.

"None at the moment."

"None what?"

His wife had trouble holding on to her thoughts* Alec decided. "I don't have any other insults to give you*" he explained dryly.

She nodded* then turned to walk away from him. "Jamie* I would warn you*" he called out. "The water's cold."

"I don't need any warnings*" she called over her shoulder in a tone as sassy as her walk. "We English are made of tougher stuff than you Scots think."

It wasn't until Jamie had gathered clean clothes* soap* and her brush and was standing on the shore of the lake that she completely let her guard down.

"Simply his chattel?" she muttered to herself as she stripped out of her black chemise and bliaut. "He wants me to feel as insignificant as his dog."

She continued to mutter to herself* thankful she was all alone. Daniel had taken Mary to the other side of the camp. Jamie hoped Mary was behaving herself. She didn't think she had the patience to intervene in her sister's behalf if Daniel crushed her tender feelings.

"It's a blessing my feelings aren't so tender*" she told herself. "The sun will have to fall to the ground before I wear his colors. He'll have to woo me as any decent man would before he touches me."

A sudden frown crossed her face. Well* hell* the man didn't even like her.

Now what was the matter with her? Damn if her eyes didn't fill up with tears. That didn't make a spit of sense to her. She didn't want Alec to touch her yet* but she wanted him to want to touch her.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 01:46 PM   #17

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Toto

It was too confusing to understand. Jamie was so occupied trying to forget all the hurtful things Alec had said to her that she forgot to test the water. She grabbed her soap and jumped into the center of the pond she'd already judged to be approximately shoulder deep.

Alec heard the splash of water. A scant second later* his gentle little bride's bellow of outrage followed. He let out a sigh* then got to his feet. He suspected she'd need his assistance in just a few more minutes.

The frigidness all but knocked the wind out of her. Jamie felt as if she'd just jumped into a vat of wet snow. She knew she'd shouted a very unladylike word* worried that Alec might have heard her* then decided it was too late to take the word back and if he felt like adding "bawdy" to "insignificant*" she certainly didn't care.

She was shivering uncontrollably by the time she'd finished washing her hair with the rose-scented soap. She hurried through the rest of her bath* tossed the lump of soap on the grassy slope* and tried to climb out.

The cramp caught her off guard. She'd nearly gained the shore when the arch in her right foot twisted into an excruciating knot. The pain doubled her over. She grabbed hold of her foot while underwater* then shot up for a gulp of air.

"Alec!"

He was there before she could scream his name a second time. Jamie had just gone under the water again when she felt his strong arms around her waist.

She couldn't let go of her foot long enough to help him. Alec didn't need her assistance* though* a fact that didn't settle in her mind until he had her out of the water and on his lap. She was still doubled over and shaking like a wet dog while she fought the knot in her foot.

Jamie didn't realize she was whimpering. Alec pushed her hands away from her foot* then slowly forced the knot out of her arch with the palm of his hand.

He was being incredibly gentle with her. Jamie buried her head against the side of his neck so he wouldn't see how close she was to crying. She didn't think she could stand for him to see her weakness now.

She didn't want him to stop holding her* either. He smelled so good* so masculine. His skin wanned her shivers away* too.

"It's better now?"

His voice was whisper-soft against her ear. Jamie nodded* yet still didn't pull away from him.

His other hand was resting on her silky thigh. She had magnificent long legs. Alec could see how flawless her skin was* could feel her soft breasts through the thin material of her chemise. Her nipples were hard. His loins followed suit. He told himself not to think about it* but his body refused to obey the order from his mind. God* she was soft all over. Alec was fully aroused now. His physical reaction had happened so quickly that his discipline all but deserted him.

"It's better now*" Jamie whispered. Her voice betrayed her shyness. "I must thank you again. I would have drowned if you hadn't saved me."

"I have the feeling it's going to happen again and again."

The teasing lilt in his thick Scottish burr made her smile. "My drowning?" she asked* knowing full well that wasn't what he meant at all.

"Nay*" Alec countered. "My saving you."

Jamie edged away just enough so she could see his expression. She had to push a lock of wet hair off her face to get a proper look. "Perhaps I'll save you once or twice*" she announced* mimicking his burr.

She could see he was pleased with her effort. Jamie brazenly cuddled up against his warm chest again. "Alec* I must borrow some of your heat. It's bloody cold tonight* isn't it?"

"It's unusually mild by my measure*" he contradicted. He paused to grin over the soft sigh she gave him* then added* "Do you always bathe with your clothes on?"

His voice felt like a caress against the top of her head. "No* but someone might have come along*" she explained. "I was being modest."

Alec thought the wet fabric was just as provocative as her bare skin. He gritted his teeth against the urge to show her just how provocative he thought she was* then said* "You're turning blue. You'd better get out of your wet clothes."

He had to ease her out of his arms after making that suggestion. Jamie didn't seem inclined to let go of him until he suggested he see the task done for her.

She moved with lightning speed then. Jamie turned her back on Alec* rushed over to the stack of clothes she'd placed on the ground* and quickly wrapped a thin blanket around herself. "I'd like a few minutes privacy* if you please."

He must have anticipated her request* for when she turned around* he'd already left. The leaves of the arched branches still swayed from his silent retreat back to their camp.

She stripped out of her wet garment* patted her skin dry as best she could* then put on a fresh chemise. She couldn't get the silk ribbon tied* though. Her fingers had become too numb to grasp the sliver-thin pink threads together. The white chemise dipped low* exposing a fair amount of her generous bosom. She didn't care if she looked wanton. Gooseflesh covered her skin. Every time she moved* locks of her wet hair rained water down her back* like daggers of ice scraping her skin raw.

Her teeth were chattering by the time she finished brushing her hair into some semblance of order. She tossed the brush aside* then wrapped the damp blanket around her again. Tucking the material under her arms* she clasped the edges together over her chest and rushed back to camp.

She was in too much of a hurry to bother putting her shoes on. All she could think about was the roaring fire Alec had surely started by now* and she kept telling herself she'd be as warm as a freshly baked biscuit in just a few minutes.

The last rays of sunlight slanted through the branches. Jamie stumbled to an abrupt stop when she reached the clearing. There was no fire waiting to warm her.

Alec wasn't waiting either.

He was sound asleep. Jamie would have screamed at him if she'd had the strength. She feared her best effort would have been a pitiful wail* though* so she didn't say anything.

He looked damned comfortable. And warm. He was wrapped in his plaid. His back rested against the same tree trunk he'd sought out earlier. His eyes were closed* his breathing deep and even.

She didn't know what she was supposed to do. Tears of frustration trailed down her cheeks. She glanced around* looking for a spot that would protect her against the rising wind* then decided it really didn't matter where she slept. The linen cloth she'd wrapped around herself was too wet now to offer any protection.

What did it matter where she slept? She'd freeze to death before morning light.

Jamie took her time walking over to him. She timidly nudged his leg with her toes.

"Alec?"

He'd been patiently waiting for her to come to him. He slowly opened his eyes and looked at her.

He decided he wouldn't make her ask. She was shaking almost violently. There were tears in her eyes and he knew she was close to losing her control.

Without showing a hint of expression* Alec held out the edges of his plaid and opened his arms to her.

Jamie didn't hesitate. She dropped her blanket and fell into his arms. She landed with an unladylike thud against his chest* heard him grunt in reaction* and shivered her apology against the crook of his neck.

Alec wrapped his plaid around her. Her knees were wedged between his thighs. With one hand he held her tightly against him* and with the other he forced her legs down until she was stretched out on top of him.

Her pelvis was flat against the junction of his thighs. Alec draped one leg over both of hers* trying to absorb the chill with his heat.

She smelled as if she'd just bathed in wildflowers. Her skin was as smooth as the petals of a rose.

It only took a few minutes for Jamie to get warm again. She let out a long sigh of contentment. His wonderful heat was making her light-headed.

He really wasn't such a bad sort* after all. He was a Scot* aye* and a giant as well* but he was her giant she supposed* and she knew he wouldn't let anything happen to her. He would always keep her safe.

She smiled against his chest. She just might let him kiss her tomorrow. She had to sigh then* for that thought was such an unladylike one* and she'd only known her husband for one short day. Aye* it was shameful thinking on her part.

Still* Jamie decided she had better revise her opinion of Alec Kincaid. If she really put her mind to it* she was sure she'd be able to find a few more redeeming qualities.

She was just drifting off to sleep when Alec spoke to her.

"Jamie?"

"Yes* Alec?" she whispered against his ear.

"You're wearing my plaid."

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 01:47 PM   #18

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Toto

Chapter Seven
Contents - Prev | Next
The man was a pig.
Alec Kincaid had no redeeming qualities. His sense of humor was simply beyond her understanding. After making that outrageous remark about wearing his ugly plaid* he had the audacity to laugh. His chest rumbled so with his amusement that Jamie felt as though she were in the center of an earthquake.
He knew she thought he was jesting with her. She wouldn't have glared up at him if she'd known what he was really contemplating. Her innocence and his promise kept her mind free of any fear* though. Alec wanted her* aye* but he didn't want her afraid. He wanted her willing. And hot.
Jamie stacked her hands on his chest* rested her chin on top* then stared into his eyes. "Your sense of humor is as warped as a saddle left out in the rain too long."
She waited for his reply. Alec didn't respond to her barb. He just continued to stare at her mouth. Jamie soon became self-conscious. She instinctively wet her lips. Alec's expression hardened in reaction. Jamie didn't know what to make of that.
"I won't let you bait me so easily once I know how your mind works*" she told him.
"That day will never come*" he predicted.
"Why are you staring at me like that?"
"Like what?"
"Like you want to kiss me again*" she said. "Am I good at kissing* then?"
"No*" he answered.
The tenderness in his voice took the sting out of his insult.
"Well* why not* do you suppose?"
A slow grin* heartbreakingly sensual* transformed his face. Jamie was warmed by it. This one could certainly be a charmer if he ever put his mind to it* she decided. Fortunately* the man was too dull to realize his own special magic.
Jamie drummed her fingertips on his chest while she waited for his answer. When he continued to keep silent* she came to the conclusion that he didn't like kissing her at all. That realization hurt. "I'm not any good at it* am I?"
"Good at what?" he asked* his voice deceptively mild.
"At kissing*" she snapped. "Will you please pay attention to what I'm saying?"
"No* baby* you aren't any good at it*" he answered. "Yet."
"Don't call me baby*" Jamie whispered. "It isn't proper*" she added. "Besides* you don't say it the same way Papa did."
Alec laughed. "Hell* I hope not."
Jamie smiled in spite of her irritation. Alec's voice was so appealing. That burr of his could thrill the breath right out of her.
"You didn't answer my question*" she blurted out as he started to massage the backs of her thighs. His thumbs had slid up under the hem of her chemise. Jamie pretended not to notice. It felt so very wonderful.
"I did answer you."
"I don't remember."
"I said no."
"No? You weren't jesting with me?"
"No."
"Alec* if I'm not any good at kissing* it's your fault* not mine. Maybe you aren't any good* either. What think you of that possibility?"
"I think you've lost your mind." Alec smiled over the outrage that statement caused.
"I refuse to feel inferior about this*" Jamie said. "You're the only man I've ever kissed* and the responsibility therefore belongs to you."
"Didn't the man you were pledged to ever kiss you? I know he came to see you on several occasions."
"You know about Andrew?"
Alec shrugged. He began to stroke her smooth buttocks. He was trying desperately not to think about how good she was going to taste. He was going to have to go slowly. He knew it would be more honorable to wait until they'd reached the Highlands before bedding her. The ride there was going to be difficult for her under the best of circumstances. And if he made love to her now* she'd be too tender to keep up the grueling pace.
Yes* it would be more honorable to wait. Alec wasn't going to* though. He would slow their pace tomorrow as a concession* and that was all. His desire was fierce. And if she wiggled her backside just one more time* he wasn't even going to go slow.
"Alec? What do you know about Andrew?" she asked again.
"What is there to know?"
"Nothing."
"Answer me."
His voice turned as hard as the look in his eyes. "Andrew never kissed me*" she said. "We were pledged when we were very young. I've known him for the longest time. I care for Andrew* of course. It's my duty to care for him."
"Cared for*" Alec corrected. "You cared for this man."
"Well* yes*" Jamie agreed* hoping to soothe his frown away. "He's a good friend of the family* and since I was pledged to him* I was supposed to care for him* wasn't I* Alec?"
He didn't answer her. The scowl left his face* though* and he relaxed his hold on her. He was inordinately pleased with her. She hadn't given her heart to the Englishman. She didn't love him. Alec grinned. He didn't know why it mattered to him* but it did matter… fiercely.
"Andrew was always very proper*" Jamie continued. "When he came to pay his respects* we were never left unchaperoned. I do believe that's the reason he never kissed me."
Jamie had been very sincere in her explanation. She expected a sincere reply.
Alec laughed.
"Just what's so amusing to you now? The fact that Andrew never kissed me or that we were never left alone?"
"If he'd been a Scot* I promise you he would have found a way*" Alec answered. "You'd probably have one or two of his bairns by now."
"Andrew is considerate."
"Not considerate*" Alec contradicted. "Stupid."
"He's a noble Englishman*" Jamie countered. "He understands a woman's tender feelings* Alec. Why* he constantly gives me compliments. He is—"
"Was."
"Why do you insist on speaking as though the man were dead?" she asked.
"Because he isn't a part of your life now. You will not mention his name to me again* wife."
He didn't have to sound so irritated with her. Alec eased himself away from the tree* then stretched out on the ground. Jamie started to roll to his side* but Alec held her steady with his hands cupping her backside.
It was indecent* the way he was holding her* but it felt too good to ask him to let go.
The sun was completely gone now* yet the moon was bright enough for her to see her husband's face. He looked relaxed* at peace* and almost asleep. For that reason she didn't take exception when his hands eased up under her chemise again. She thought he probably wasn't even aware of what he was doing.
God* it felt sinful. Jamie moved her hands to his shoulders and rested the side of her face against his warm chest. His golden hair tickled her nose. "Alec?" she whispered. "I really would like to know what it feels like."
His hands stopped their gentle massage. Jamie felt him tense under her.
"What exactly are you wanting to feel* Jamie?"
"When a man kisses a woman with the intent of bedding her. It's a different sort of kiss from the one you gave me."
She sounded as if she were instructing him. Alec had to shake his head. This conversation was ridiculous. And thoroughly arousing.
"Aye* it is*" he finally acknowledged.
"Daniel uses his tongue when he kisses."
"What?"
"You needn't raise your voice to me* Alec."
"How would you know Daniel—"
"Mary told me. She said it was disgusting."
"You won't think it is." Alec growled that prediction.
"I won't?" She sounded out of breath again. "How do you know that?"
"Because you've wanted me to touch you since the moment we met."
"I haven't."
"Because I can feel the passion inside you. Because your body reacts whenever I look at you. Because—"
"You're embarrassing me."
"No* I'm making you hot."
"You're not."
"I am."
"You may not speak to me this way*" she ordered.
"I'll speak to you any damn way I want to*" Alec answered. "I want you* Jamie."
His voice didn't leave room for argument. Before Jamie could catch her breath* he'd cupped the sides of her face and claimed her mouth.
She deliberately kept her mouth as tightly shut as a locked door.
His hand moved to her chin; then she felt pressure when he forced her mouth open for him. As soon as she gave in to his silent demand* he thrust his tongue inside her mouth* deeply* swiftly* completely. Jamie was so startled she tried to pull back. Alec wouldn't let her move. His mouth slanted over hers* sealing her whimper of protest. He wasn't gentle now. His mouth was hot* hungry* his tongue thorough and wild as he learned the taste of her and forced her to learn the taste of him.
Jamie's last coherent thought was that Alec Kincaid certainly knew how to kiss.
She was a quick learner. Her tongue became as wild as his* as undisciplined. She tried to struggle when he gripped her thighs. He spread his own* then trapped her between his heavy legs. She felt his hard arousal* tried to move away* but Alec coaxed her into submission again by stoking the fire in her. His tongue slid in and out* again and again* until her whole body was straining for more of him.
God* she was sweet. Holding her like this made him shake with desire. The sexy little whimpers she made in the back of her throat were driving him wild.
Jamie didn't offer true resistance until he pulled her hands away from his shoulders and slowly edged the straps of her chemise down her arms. She tore her mouth free then* thinking to roll away from him* but by the time her body responded to her mind's command* her chemise was already down to her waist.
Her breasts were flattened against his chest* her nipples hardened by the erotic touch of his crisp hair and hot skin against her sensitive skin.
"I want you to stop now*" she" moaned.
Alec didn't pay any attention to her weak protest. His mouth moved to the side of her neck. His tongue flicked over her ear. Jamie tilted her head to one side* giving him better access. She gasped when he took her tender earlobe between his teeth. His ragged breathing was hot* sweet* incredibly exciting. He whispered dark* seductive promises that made her tremble with a need she'd never felt before.
"Alec?" She said his name in a ragged moan when he tugged her chemise down over her hips. "I don't have anything on under this garment."
"I know* lass."
"Shouldn't you stop now?"
"Not yet* Jamie*" he whispered* his voice as soft as velvet.
He rolled her onto her back. He kissed her neck* her shoulders* her mouth* again. Only when she was quivering with need did he move away from her. Jamie realized she was completely naked then. She turned to watch Alec. The shadows darkened his powerful form. She could hear the rustle of clothing* knew he was stripping out of the rest of his garments* and in that moment of separation* she became desperately afraid.
God help her* she wanted to run. Alec caught hold of her before she had even rolled over. His hands grabbed hers* stretching her arms high above her head in one fluid motion before he completely blanketed her with his body.
The contact of his hot skin against hers made her gasp. Alec made a low groaning sound before claiming her mouth again. The kiss was openly carnal. He meant to have her surrender. When she arched up against him* he knew her passionate nature was overcoming her timidity. He let go of her hands at the same time he thrust his tongue inside her mouth* then let out a grunt of satisfaction when her fingers dug into his shoulderblades.
His chest rubbed against her soft breasts while he stroked her. Jamie kept trying to edge away from the junction of his thighs* but when she felt his hardness against her belly* she quit her struggles. A warm* tingling ache suddenly claimed her full attention.
Alec massaged her breasts* cupping the undersides with loving care. His thumbs rubbed her distended nipples. His ragged sigh told her how much he liked touching her so intimately. Jamie was honest enough with herself to admit she liked the chaos his touch evoked.
When his mouth replaced his hand on her breast* when he took the nipple inside and began to suckle* she thought she would go out of her mind. The sensation was so overwhelming that she squeezed her eyes shut and let the wonderful feelings wash over her. She arched against him with need and her legs moved impatiently against his.
Alec took a deep breath to try to calm his need and braced himself on his elbows so he could look down into her face.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 01:47 PM   #19

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Toto

She felt the change in him immediately. Jamie opened her eyes and looked into his. She reached up to stroke his jaw. His whiskers tickled her fingers* but she didn't smile. Alec was the most frighteningly appealing man she'd ever encountered. The moonlight hadn't softened his features. He looked hard… and determined.

"Have you decided to stop* then?" she whispered.

"Do you want me to?" he asked.

She didn't know how to answer him. Yes* she told herself* of course she wanted him to stop. A bride should have a proper wedding bed* shouldn't she? "Not yet."

She hadn't realized she'd said that until he smiled at her. "You confuse me* Alec. I don't know my own thoughts when you're touching me like this. Maybe we should stop…"

"Not yet." Sweat dotted his forehead. His jaw was clenched* his breathing labored.

He didn't have any intention of stopping. Her eyes widened when that realization hit her. Alec must have read her mind… and her fear* for he suddenly pushed her legs apart with his thigh. The action was rough* demanding.

While he held her stare* his right hand moved down between them* low on her stomach. His fingers slid into the junction of her thighs. Jamie reached down and tried to pull his hand away. "No* Alec. You mustn't."

He wouldn't be deterred. His fingers stroked the tender folds. When he felt the wetness there* he almost lost his control. "You're hot for me* Jamie*" he whispered. "God* you're so sweet* so soft…"

His finger slowly penetrated her* then stretched up inside. "You're so tight."

Her mind wanted him to stop but her body didn't have any reservations at all. She raised her hips to keep him inside her when he started to pull away.

"Now are you going to stop?" she asked in a voice that betrayed her.

"Not yet*" Alec repeated* smiling over the confusion he heard in her voice. He took hold of her hand* then pressed it against his hardness. Her reaction was instantaneous. Her whole body shivered and bucked against him. "Hold me*" he instructed. "Like this." He forced her fingers to close around his shaft* then thrust his fingers inside her again to rid her of her fear.

He pulled her hand away when he couldn't stand the sweet torture any longer. His mouth branded hers and his tongue thrust deep inside to the back of her throat. Jamie was soon as wild* as out of control as Alec was. He knew just where to touch* how much pressure to exert* how to make her melt in his arms.

He became rougher in his quest. "We aren't going to stop* are we* Alec?"

"Nay* love* we aren't."

He withdrew his fingers* then thrust them demandingly into her tight sheath again.

She cried out in pain. "Don't do that* Alec. It hurts."

"Hush* love*" he whispered. "I'll make it easier for you."

She didn't understand what he was telling her. His mouth claimed hers for another long* hot kiss then and she decided he really was going to stop when his hand moved away from her most private place.

Alec kissed a slow trail down her neck* her chest* her stomach. When he moved lower* into the soft triangle of black curls shielding her virginity* she cried out again and tried to push him away from her.

He wouldn't be deterred* though. The taste of her was intoxicating. His tongue teased the sensitive nub of flesh* then pressed high into the soft* slick opening.

She became lost to the splendor he forced on her. She clung to him now* demanding more. The muscles in her thighs tensed against him in anticipation. She welcomed the rush of blazing ecstasy consuming her.

As soon as Alec felt the first tremors of release* he moved. He spread her thighs wide and eased into her. He paused when he reached her maidenhood* then drove forward with one powerful surge.

Jamie cried out in pain. Alec immediately stilled his movements. He was fully embedded inside her now* his possession complete. He tried to hold on to his discipline* wanting to give her time to adjust to his invasion. "Don't move just yet*" he ordered* his voice a grating sound against her ear. "God* Jamie. You're so tight."

She couldn't have moved if she'd wanted to. His weight held her in place. He cupped her face* then slowly licked the salty tears from her flushed cheeks. Her eyes were dark blue with passion* her rosy lips swollen from his demanding kisses.

"Does it still hurt* Jamie?"

He sounded as though he'd just run a great distance uphill. But the worry was there* too* in his tone of voice and his intense expression. Jamie nodded* then whispered* "It will pass* this pain* won't it* Alec? Am I supposed to be this tight?"

"Oh* yes*" Alec groaned.

When he started to move* to begin the ritual as old as time itself* Jamie thought he was finished. She wrapped her legs around his thighs to keep him deep inside her. "Don't stop* Alec. Not yet."

"Not yet*" he promised.

Neither one of them was capable of speaking again. Alec did withdraw from her* then thrust deep inside once more. She raised her hips to meet him halfway. She wanted all of him to squeeze tight. Passion* like wildfire* raged between them. Alec buried his face against her neck as he slammed into her again and again.

He wanted to be gentle.

She wouldn't let him.

She didn't know her nails dug into his shoulderblades. Alec didn't mind. When the climax was almost upon her* when she thought she was surely going to die from the incredible pressure building inside her* she clung to her husband and cried out his name.

"Come with me* love*" Alec whispered. "Come with me. Now."

She didn't know where Alec was taking her* only knew she was safe in his arms. She gave herself over to the blissful surrender and found that surrender was also fulfillment.

He'd known all along where they were going* yet never before had he been so out of control or felt such overwhelming passion. He wanted to show her the stars. He was the experienced one* she the innocent. He knew where to touch* where to stroke* when to push* when to retreat. And yet* when he finally reached his own release* he realized his gentle little bride had taken him far beyond the stars.

She'd taken him to heaven.

She slept like the dead. Morning sun was full upon the meadow when she stretched herself awake. Jamie let out a low groan as soon as she moved. She was horribly tender. Her eyes flew open. The memory of what had happened last night made her cheeks burn with embarrassment.

God help her* she was never going to be able to look him in the eye again. She had behaved like a complete wanton. She did tell him to stop* she reminded herself* but the man was bent on having his way. She was going to stay under his plaid for the rest of the day* she decided* when she admitted she'd also insisted* rather vehemently* that he not stop.

Still* he did seem to like what they were doing. Jamie pushed the blanket away from her face then. She saw Alec immediately. He was standing on the other side of the clearing* between their mounts. The horses* she noticed* had already been saddled in readiness for the day's ride.

Wildfire was acting like a lovesick female. She kept nudging Alec's hand for another pat of affection.

Jamie suddenly wanted a pat of affection* too. She thought she might have pleased him last night. Unfortunately* she'd fallen asleep before he had a chance to tell her so.

She was going to have to bluster through her embarrassment. Since he wasn't paying her any attention* she stood up* unwrapped his plaid* and quickly put her chemise back on. She knew her attire was immodest* but she was determined not to show any shyness in front of him. He would take it as weakness* she guessed.

Alec didn't even glance her way. She gathered her clothes and walked to the pond with as much dignity as her sore thighs would allow. She washed and dressed in a pale blue gown* then braided her hair. Her mood was vastly improved when she walked back to camp. It was a new day* after all* and certainly a new beginning.

Besides* she'd done her duty as his wife. She had let him bed her.

Did she think he was made of iron? Alec asked himself that question as soon as his wife walked away from him.

No other woman had ever enticed him this way. He'd never known such fierce desire before. Bed them and forget them* that had always been his attitude in the past. She was different* though. God help him* she was beginning to matter to him. She wasn't the forgetting kind* either. White-hot desire had claimed him the minute she stood up and faced him. Her hair was in wild* curly disarray. He remembered the silky feel of it when he'd held the strands up for the wind to dry. Jamie had slept through his ministrations. He hadn't been able to quit stroking her skin after he'd made love to her. She'd slept through that* too.

He hadn't slept at all. Her hips had cushioned his hardness. Every time she moved* he wanted to take her again. The only reason he held back was that she wouldn't be able to walk for a week if he did all the things he wanted to do to her. It was too soon for her. She needed time for the soreness to ease. He'd made the decision not to touch her again until they reached his home. And he was already regretting it.

He wasn't made of iron. His innocent little wife didn't understand that yet. She wouldn't have stood there so scantily clad if she'd had any idea of what was going on inside his mind. Perhaps she did know* he considered.

Could she be trying to get him to make love to her again without actually asking him outright? Alec debated that possibility a long minute* then decided she was simply too naive to realize how easily she could arouse him.

He would* of course* enlighten her as soon as they reached his home.

"Alec? Thank you for loaning me your plaid."

He turned at the sound of her voice and found her staring at his boots.

"It's yours to keep* Jamie."

"A wedding present?"

She wouldn't look at him. Though her head was bent* he could still see how red her cheeks were. Her embarrassment was terribly obvious. And vastly amusing. Hell* the woman had been a wildcat in his arms. He had the marks to prove it. Now she acted as if the wrong word might send her into a swoon.

"You may call it such*" he announced with a shrug. He took her satchel and turned to secure it on Wildfire's back.

"I've eleven shillings* Alec."

She waited for him to turn back to her. He didn't respond to her announcement. Jamie wasn't deterred. "Do you have a priest in your Highlands?"

That question did get his notice. He half turned to look at her. She immediately lowered her gaze. She was getting a bit more courage back* for she now stared at his chest instead of his boots. "We do have a priest*" he answered. "Why do you ask?"

"I want to use one of my shillings to buy you an indulgence*" Jamie announced. She tucked the plaid under her arm and folded her hands together.

"A what?"

"An indulgence*" Jamie explained. "It's my wedding gift to you."

"I see*" he replied* trying not to laugh. He wanted to ask her if she thought his soul was in need of aid* but the seriousness in her tone made him once again consider her tender feelings.

He was going to have to get over this ridiculous affliction* he told himself. Her feelings shouldn't matter to him at all.

"Does that please you?" she asked* hoping for a kind word in reply.

He shrugged his answer.

"I thought it would be an appropriate gift because you accidentally killed a man yesterday. The indulgence will halve your time in purgatory. That's what Father Charles says."

"It wasn't accidental* Jamie* and you killed one man yourself."

"I didn't."

"Aye* you did."

"You needn't sound so cheerful about it*" Jamie muttered. "And if I did kill the man* well* he needed killing* so I don't have to buy an indulgence for myself."

"So it's only my soul that concerns you?"

Jamie nodded. He didn't know whether to be insulted or amused. He had to shake his head when he thought about all the coins Father Murdock was going to be collecting in future if his wife continued to buy him an indulgence every time he killed a man. The priest would end up richer than England's king by year's end.

Alec certainly wasn't the appreciative sort* Jamie decided. He still hadn't offered her a word of gratitude. "Do you have a blacksmith as well?"

He nodded* then waited for her next remark. God only knew what was going on inside her mind now. Odd* but he found himself eager to hear what she was thinking. Another affliction* he told himself. He'd have to work on that flaw as well.

"Then I'll use my remaining shillings to buy you a second wedding gift*" she said.

She saw she'd captured his full attention when she glanced up to see his reaction. "I've thought of just the gift for you. I know you'll be pleased."

"And what might that be?" he asked* finding her enthusiasm as captivating as her smile. He didn't have the heart to tell her no one used shillings as payment for anything in the Highlands. He knew she'd find out soon enough.

"A sword."

She thought he looked quite stunned by her gift. She nodded to let him know she meant what she promised* then turned her gaze to the ground again.

He couldn't believe he'd heard her correctly. "A what?"

"A sword* Alec. It's a good gift* isn't it? Every warrior should carry one at his side. I noticed you were lacking in such equipment when the outcasts attacked us. I considered that highly unusual* for it did seem to me that all warriors would have need of such a handy weapon. Then I considered the fact that you're a Scotsman* after all* and mayhap your training didn't include… Alec* why are you looking at me like that?"

He couldn't answer her.

"Does my gift please you?" she asked.

She sounded worried now. Alec managed a brisk nod. It was the best he could do.

Jamie smiled with relief. "I knew you'd be pleased*" she told him.

He nodded again* then had to turn away from her.

For the first time in his life* Alec Kincaid was speechless.

Jamie didn't seem to notice. "Daniel carries a sword. I noticed that right away. Perhaps* since the two of you are such good friends* he might take time to instruct you in the proper use of the weapon. I'm told it can be most effective in battle."

Alec's forehead dropped to the saddle. Jamie couldn't see his face because he was turned away from her* but his shoulders were shaking.

He was obviously overcome with gratitude.

Jamie was feeling proud of herself. She had just offered him a branch of friendship and he had accepted it. Their situation would certainly improve now.

In time he just might forget she was English and begin to like her.

She walked away from her husband* for she wished to spend a few minutes with Mary before they started out on their journey again. Now that she had figured out how to get along with her husband* she thought she'd share her expertise with her sister. She certainly wasn't going to mention last night* though. No* Mary would have to find out all about that part of marriage from her own husband. Perhaps* Jamie considered* Mary had already found out.

Jamie felt as if she'd just discovered the secrets of the world. Kindness begat kindness. One didn't bite the hand that was patting one* now* did one?

"Jamie? Come here."

His command was a little too brisk for her liking* but she held her smile and walked back to Alec's side. She stared at his chest* waiting to hear what he had to say.

Alec tilted her chin up. "Are you all right* wife? Will you be able to ride today?"

She didn't understand what he was asking. "I'm fine* Alec* really."

"You're not too sore?" Alec persisted.

The immediate blush told him she now understood what he was asking. "You aren't supposed to mention that*" she whispered.

He couldn't resist. "Mention what?"

Though it didn't seem possible to him* her blush intensified. "My—my being sore*" she stammered out.

"Jamie* I know I hurt you last night."

He didn't sound overly contrite to her. God's truth* he sounded downright arrogant. "Yes* you did hurt me*" she muttered. "And* yes* I am sore. Are there any other intimate questions you wish to put to me?"

He squeezed her jaw* forcing her to look up at him again. And then he lowered his head and brushed his mouth against hers. It was such a tender kiss that Jamie was all but undone. Her eyes filled with tears. Now he'd give her the praise she so desperately needed to hear.

"If I think of any I'll let you know*" he announced before he let go of her.

"Think of any what?"

A rock could hold fleas longer than she could hold on to a thought. "Any other intimate questions*" he said.

She stood where she was while Alec swung up into his saddle. "Come now* Jamie. 'Tis time to ride."

"But what about Daniel and Mary? Shouldn't we wait for them?"

"They left over two hours ago*" Alec answered.

"They left without us?" she asked* her voice incredulous.

"They did."

"Why didn't you wake me?"

Alec held his grin. His wife looked thoroughly disgruntled. Wisps of curly hair had already separated from her braid. The strands floated around her face and down the nape of her slender neck.

She looked lovely.

"You needed your sleep*" Alec told her* his voice suddenly gruff.

"They didn't even say good-bye*" Jamie said. "It was a rudeness* don't you suppose* Alec?" She walked over to Wildfire's side* paused to give her horse a whispered word of praise and a good pat* then gained the saddle. She grimaced against the ache that motion caused. "Are we going to try to catch up with them?"

Alec shook his head. "They've left the north road by now."

Jamie couldn't hide her disappointment. "How long must we travel before we reach your home?"

"Three more days."

"Three?"

She looked disgruntled again. "Three if we set a brisk pace* wife."

"In the opposite direction from my sister?"

Before he could answer her* she whispered* "I'm never going to see my sister again* am I?"

"Don't look so upset* Jamie. Mary's home is just an hour's ride from us. You may see her as often as you like."

His explanation didn't make sense to her. "We go for three days in the opposite direction* you tell me* yet Mary will end up only an hour's ride away when we finally reach your home? I don't understand* Alec. You do remember where you live* don't you?"

"There are clans friendly to Daniel and he must therefore pass through their lands* just as there are clans friendly to me* Jamie. I must also stop to give greeting as laird over the clan Kincaid."

"Why couldn't the four of us—"

"There are also clans who would give their collective hide to see me dead."

She could certainly understand that* she decided. If Alec acted as impatient with the clans as he was now acting with her* he would certainly collect a lot of enemies. "And Daniel is friend to some of your enemies?" she asked.

Alec nodded. "Then why do you call Daniel your friend? Your enemies should also be his if he's loyal to you."

He gave up. He knew she still didn't understand. "Do we have many enemies* Alec?"

"We?"

"I'm your wife now* I would remind you*" she answered. "For that reason* your enemies are now mine* aren't they?"

"Aye* they are*" he announced.

"Why are you smiling? Do you like having so many enemies?"

"I'm smiling because I've just realized you have the makings of a true Scot*" he answered. "This pleases me."

She gave him a magnificent smile. Alec immediately guessed she was up to mischief. He'd already noticed that when her eyes sparkled the way they were now* she was about to give him a clever retort.

He wasn't disappointed. "I'll never be a Scot* Alec. But you* sir* well you have the makings of a true English baron. This pleases me."

He didn't know why he laughed* for she'd just insulted him mightily* but he did laugh all the same. He shook his head over her comment and his reaction. "Remember this conversation* Jamie. One day soon* you'll see the error in all your opinions."

"All my opinions* Alec?" She frowned at him* then added* "I think I'm beginning to understand why we have so many enemies."

She ended their conversation by nudging Wildfire into a full gallop* deliberately taking the lead away from him.

She ignored him when he called out to her* determined to make him stay behind her today. Let him choke on the dust from the lead horse.

Alec was suddenly at her side. He took hold of Wildfire's reins. He never said a word to her* just turned her mount around and tossed the reins back to her.

"Well?" she asked.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 01:48 PM   #20

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Toto

"You were going the wrong way*" Alec told her* his exasperation obvious. "Unless of course you were thinking of going back to England."

"I wasn't."

"Then your sense of direction is yet another—"

"A simple mistake* Alec*" Jamie argued. "I have a fine sense of direction."

"Have you been many places to test this theory?"

"No. And while you're scowling at me* I have another question to put to you. Were you pleased with me last night?"

He looked as if he wanted to laugh. Jamie thought she'd kill him if he did.

"Well? Was I any good at it? And don't you dare ask me to explain my question. You know very well what I'm talking about."

She would die if he told her she wasn't any good. Her hands were squeezing the reins tightly* making indentations in her palms* so horribly nervous had she suddenly become* and she was furious with herself for asking. "You'll get better."

He knew exactly what to say to her to get her temper riled. She thought there might be fire in her eyes when she looked up at him.

Alec was smiling at her. The tenderness in his eyes told her he knew how important her question was to her. "I'll get better?" she strangled out. "Why you—"

"We'll practice* Jamie* once we get home* every single night* until you get it right."

That promise given* he nudged his stallion forward. Jamie didn't know what to make of his outrageous remark. She thought he'd just insulted her* but the way he was looking at her when he said they were going to practice did make her think he was looking forward to it.

No matter how she looked at it* she always came up with the same conclusion: Alec Kincaid had about as much compassion as a goat.

Still* she guessed she should give him his due. He had acted with true kindness when he allowed her to sleep well past dawn. She'd needed the additional rest* and though she blamed Alec for draining all the strength out of her the night before* she still admitted he'd shown a little mercy. Perhaps he wasn't completely hopeless* after all. Jamie changed her mind about her husband by late afternoon. They'd ridden through the woods most of the morning* pausing only once to refresh themselves by a rippling river. Alec barely spoke a civil word to her. He seemed preoccupied with his own thoughts. Jamie tried* several times in fact* to engage him in conversation* but Alec ignored her questions with a rudeness she found disconcerting. He stood on the grassy bank* his hands clasped behind his back. Jamie guessed he was impatient to continue their journey.

"Are you waiting for the horses to have their rest or for me?" she called out when she couldn't stand the silence a moment longer.

"The horses are ready*" he answered. He hadn't even bothered to look at her when he spoke. She briefly considered pushing him into the river to get his full attention* then decided against it. If he didn't drown* he would surely be spitting mad* and she had enough to worry about with her own aches and pains. Listening to him rant and rave would only make her day all the more sour.

Jamie settled herself on Wildfire's back before calling out to Alec again. "I'm ready now. Thank you for stopping."

"You asked."

His voice was so filled with surprise she was taken aback. "I must always ask?"

"Of course."

Well* hell* he could have mentioned that odd little rule hours sooner. "And you'll always honor my requests* Alec?"

He swung up into his saddle before answering her. "If it's possible."

Their horses were so close together that Alec's leg brushed against hers.

"Then why didn't you stop when I asked you to last night?" she blurted out.

He grabbed hold of the back of her neck and pulled her toward him. Jamie clung to the saddle* trying to keep her balance.

He waited for her to look up at him* then easily captured her gaze. "You didn't want me to." He grinned at her.

"That is the most arrogant—"

He kissed her just to silence her. He meant only to remind her just who was the laird and who was the chattel* but her lips went all soft under his* reminding him just how good she really was. He swept the inside of her mouth with his tongue before pulling away from her. She looked totally bemused. Her hand rested on his cheek* her touch as light as a butterfly. He doubted she even realized she was still caressing him.

"I said I'd honor your requests whenever possible* Jamie. It wasn't possible for me to stop last night."

"It wasn't?"

The woman was going to make him daft if she continued to ask him to repeat his every word. Alec let her see his exasperation. "You may take the lead this time*" he announced* thinking to snap her back to the present.

Jamie nodded. She guided Wildfire around Alec's mount and was just ducking under a fat branch barring her way when Alec appeared at her side. The minute he took hold of her reins* she realized her error.

He didn't mention her pitiful sense of direction* and neither did she.

They stopped at sunset in the center of a wide meadow.

Alec reached out to pull on Wildfire's reins. When their mounts were side by side* he still didn't let go of the reins.

His face was impassive now and he stared straight ahead. "Is there danger* Alec?"

She hadn't been able to keep her worry out of her voice.

Alec shook his head. Would he be sitting in the middle of such an open expanse if there was danger? Her question seemed absurd until he remembered she had no knowledge of the ways of fighting men.

Jamie thought she'd stretch her legs a bit but when she started to dismount* Alec stayed her action by placing his hand on her thigh. His grip wasn't at all gentle.

She caught his silent message quickly enough* but his behavior didn't make any sense to her. She folded her hands on the cantle of her saddle* patiently waiting for Alec to explain what he was doing.

A faint whistle sounded from the forest a fair distance away from them. The trees suddenly seemed to come alive when men wearing brown and yellow plaid began to walk toward them.

Jamie didn't realize she was clutching Alec's leg until his hand covered hers. "They're allies* Jamie."

She immediately let go of him* straightened her back* and refolded her hands in her lap. "I guessed as much*" she whispered.

It was a lie* made blacker still when she added* "Even from this distance I can see them smiling."

"An eagle couldn't see their faces from this distance*" he answered dryly.

"We English have perfect eyesight."

Alec finally turned to look at her. "Are you jesting with me* wife?"

"You decide* husband."

"Aye* you are*" Alec answered. "I've already learned all about the English sense of humor."

"And what have you learned?"

"You don't have any."

"That isn't true*" Jamie argued. "Why* I have the most wonderful sense of humor." After making that emphatic statement* she turned her face away from him.

"Jamie?"

"Aye* Alec?"

"When they reach us* keep your gaze directed on me. Do not look at anyone else. Do you understand?"

"You don't want me to look at any of them?"

"That's correct."

"Why?"

"Don't question my motives* wife."

His voice had become as brisk as the rising wind. "Should I speak to them?"

"No."

"They'll think me rude."

"They'll think you subservient."

"I'm not."

"You will be."

Jamie felt her face heat up. She frowned at Alec* but it was wasted effort for he was staring straight ahead again* ignoring her. "Perhaps* Alec* I should get off my horse and kneel at your feet. Then your allies will surely see how very subservient your wife is."

She didn't care that her voice shook with anger. "Well* milord?"

"The suggestion has merit*" he answered.

He didn't sound as if he was jesting with her. Jamie was too astonished by his outrageous comment to think of a clever comeback.

She wasn't about to let her displeasure show in front of strangers* though* no matter how upset she was with her husband. Oh* she'd play the obedient wife* all right* until she and Alec were alone again. Then she was going to blister his ears.

When the allies finally reached them* Jamie kept her gaze directed on her husband's hard profile. It took all her concentration to keep her expression devoid of any true emotion. Serenity was simply too much to ask for.

Alec never even looked her way. The conversation was in Gaelic. Jamie understood most of the words* even though the dialect was a little different from the Lowland Gaelic that Beak had taught her.

Alec didn't know she was fluent in his language* and his ignorance gave her a perverse satisfaction. She decided then and there she was never going to enlighten him.

She listened to him refuse the allies' offer of drink* food* and shelter as well. His hard* unyielding manner was that of a mighty warlord now* and when they'd finished with their offers and he'd finished with his refusals* they reported to him the latest happenings among the clans.

Jamie knew they were staring at her. She tried to keep her expression tranquil. In true desperation she offered her Maker a month of daily masses and one litany if he'd only help her through this humiliating ordeal.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)

أدوات الموضوع
انواع عرض الموضوع

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات