آخر 10 مشاركات
300 - القفاز المخملى - ريبيكا ستراتون - روايات احلامى (الكاتـب : samahss - )           »          قلبه من رخام (37) للكاتبة الآخاذة: أميرة الحب raja tortorici(مميزة) *كاملة* (الكاتـب : أميرة الحب - )           »          كوابيس قلـب وإرهاب حـب *مميزة و ومكتملة* (الكاتـب : دنيازادة - )           »          132- كيف ينتهي الحلم - ليليان بيك - ع.ق. ( نسخه اصلية بتصوير جديد) (الكاتـب : angel08 - )           »          اصديق (انت)ام عدو؟ (الكاتـب : مجهولة. القدر - )           »          56 - الندم - آن هامبسون - ع.ق (الكاتـب : pink moon - )           »          قدرها ان يحبها شيطان (1) .. سلسلة زهرة الدم. (الكاتـب : Eveline - )           »          القرار الصعب (ريما وعبد المحسن) / للكاتبة روح الشمالي ، مكتملة (الكاتـب : أمانى* - )           »          تراتيل الماضي ـ ج1 سلسلة والعمر يحكي - قلوب زائرة - بقلمي: راندا عادل*كاملة&الرابط* (الكاتـب : راندا عادل - )           »          309 - نهر الذكريات - مارى ويبرلى - روايات احلامى (الكاتـب : samahss - )

العودة   شبكة روايتي الثقافية > مكتبات روايتي > English Library > Fiction > Romance

إضافة رد

LinkBack أدوات الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
قديم 06-03-11, 01:49 PM   #21

Dalyia

إدارية ومشرفة سابقة وكاتبة بمكتبة روايتي وعضوة بفريق التصميم والترجمة و الافلام والسينما ومعطاء التسالي ونجمة الحصريات الفنية ومميز بالقسم الطبى

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
?  نُقآطِيْ » Dalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond repute
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Mh04

Alec was ashamed of her. That sudden realization made her want to weep. Her self-pity lasted only a minute or two. Then she became furious. How dare he be ashamed of her? She knew she wasn't as pretty as most* but she wasn't horribly disfigured* either. Once her papa had even called her beautiful. Of course* it was his duty to give her such praise; she was his baby after all* and his opinion was certainly colored. Still* she'd never noticed people turning their faces away from her so they wouldn't lose their supper.
When Alec reached over and took hold of Wildfire's reins* Jamie was pulled back to the conversation. She heard one of his allies ask who she was.
"My wife."
There hadn't been a tinge of pride in his voice. God's truth* he could have been referring to his dog. No* she qualified; his dog probably meant more to him.
He hadn't gagged over the words either* Jamie decided* trying to find something redeeming in his attitude.
Alec was about to nudge his mount forward through the throng of warriors when another ally called out. "By what name is she called* Kincaid?"
He took a long time answering. Alec slowly scanned his audience. The look on his face chilled Jamie. His expression could have been carved in stone.
And then he answered at last. His voice* as cold as sleet* lashed out like a battle cry.
"Mine."

Alec was ashamed of her. That sudden realization made her want to weep. Her self-pity lasted only a minute or two. Then she became furious. How dare he be ashamed of her? She knew she wasn't as pretty as most* but she wasn't horribly disfigured* either. Once her papa had even called her beautiful. Of course* it was his duty to give her such praise; she was his baby after all* and his opinion was certainly colored. Still* she'd never noticed people turning their faces away from her so they wouldn't lose their supper.

When Alec reached over and took hold of Wildfire's reins* Jamie was pulled back to the conversation. She heard one of his allies ask who she was.

"My wife."

There hadn't been a tinge of pride in his voice. God's truth* he could have been referring to his dog. No* she qualified; his dog probably meant more to him.

He hadn't gagged over the words either* Jamie decided* trying to find something redeeming in his attitude.

Alec was about to nudge his mount forward through the throng of warriors when another ally called out. "By what name is she called* Kincaid?"

He took a long time answering. Alec slowly scanned his audience. The look on his face chilled Jamie. His expression could have been carved in stone.

And then he answered at last. His voice* as cold as sleet* lashed out like a battle cry.
"Mine."

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع
أنْت يـَـــا اللَّـه 【 تَكْفِينِي 】ツ

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 01:49 PM   #22

Dalyia

إدارية ومشرفة سابقة وكاتبة بمكتبة روايتي وعضوة بفريق التصميم والترجمة و الافلام والسينما ومعطاء التسالي ونجمة الحصريات الفنية ومميز بالقسم الطبى

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
?  نُقآطِيْ » Dalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond repute
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

Chapter Eight

Contents - Prev | Next

She was beginning to think he wasn't human. Alec never seemed to get hungry or thirsty or tired. The only time he stopped to rest was when Jamie asked him to* and God only knew how she hated asking him for anything.

An Englishman certainly would have seen to his wife's comforts. Alec had difficulty remembering he had a wife. Jamie felt as wanted as a thorn in his side.

She was exhausted* guessed she probably looked as worn out as an old hag* too* then told herself it didn't matter what she looked like. Alec had made his position perfectly dear when he refused to introduce her to his allies. She didn't appeal to him at all.

Well* he wasn't any prize* either* she decided. His hair was almost as long as hers* for God's sake* and if that wasn't a primitive inclination* she didn't know what was.

Her feelings about her husband might not have been so black if his attitude had been a little more pleasant. The mountain air had obviously affected his mind* for the higher they climbed* the more distant and cold his manner became.

He had more flaws than Satan. The man couldn't even count. He'd specifically told her it would take them three days to reach his holding* yet here they were* camped for their fifth night* and still not another Kincaid plaid in sight.

Was his sense of direction as poor as his ability to count? Jamie decided she was too tired to worry about that possibility. As soon as Alec turned his attention to the horses* Jamie walked to the lake to gain a few moments' privacy. She stripped down to her chemise* washed as best she could in the frigid water Alec called a loch* then stretched out on the grassy slope. She was bone-weary. She thought to just close her eyes for a few minutes before getting dressed again. In truth* the bitterness in the air didn't even bother her.

A thick mist rolled into the glen. Alec gave Jamie as much time as he thought she needed to see to her bath* but when the haze covered his bare feet* he called out to her* commanding that she come to him.

His summons went unanswered. Alec's heart started pounding. He wasn't worried that his enemies had caught her unaware. No* they were on Kincaid land now* in a protected area none but his own would dare to breach. Still* she hadn't answered him. Alec broke through the lush green foliage and came to an abrupt stop. His breath caught in his throat at the sight he came upon.

She looked like a beautiful goddess. She was sound asleep. The fog floated around her* giving her a mystical appearance. The streamers of sunlight only added to that fantasy* for her skin was a true golden color. She was sleeping on her side. The white chemise she wore rode high on her hip* revealing her long legs.

He stood there a long while* drinking his fill. Desire swelled up inside him until it became almost painful. She was simply magnificent to him. He remembered what it felt like to have those legs wrapped around him* remembered the feel of her when he thrust inside.

His wife. A fierce surge of possessiveness shook him. He knew he wouldn't last another night without making love to her again. His promise to wait until they'd reached his holding wasn't going to last. This time* however* he was determined to go slowly. He would be a tender* undemanding lover. And he'd be gentle… even if it killed him.

Alec stood there watching her sleep until the sun was completely gone. She started to roll down the slope then. He rushed over to her and caught her in his arms just in the nick of time.

What a trusting nature she had. He knew she'd awakened* yet she didn't open her eyes. When he lifted her up against his bare chest* she put her arms around his neck* nuzzled up against him* and let out a soft sigh.

He carried her back to their camp* wrapped his plaid around both of them* and stretched out on the ground. Jamie was completely covered from the brisk mountain air* covered from head to toe by the blanket and her husband.

Her mouth was just a few inches away from his own.

"Alec?" she asked* her voice a sleepy whisper.

"Yes?"

"Are you angry with me?"

"No."

"You're certain?"

She wished she could see his face. His hold was like iron* though* and she could barely move at all.

"I'm certain."

"I'm so tired tonight. It was a hard day's ride* wasn't it?"

He hadn't thought so* but he decided to agree anyway. "Aye* it was."

"Alec? I'd like to ask you something." Jamie scooted upward* then let out a loud groan when his hands moved to her backside and he forced her against him. His thighs were harder than the ground.

He knew she didn't have any idea what her little motions were doing to him. Alec closed his eyes in reaction. She was too tired and obviously too sore to be attacked by her husband. He would have to wait* he told himself. It was the only decent thing to do.

It was going to be his most difficult challenge.

"Alec* please move your hands. You're hurting me."

"Go to sleep* wife. You need your rest." His voice sounded ragged.

She arched against him. Alec gritted his teeth.

"My backside is sore."

He could hear the blush in her soft confession. Her gasp wasn't soft* though; it was loud and full of outrage when he began to rub the stiffness out of her muscles. He ignored both her struggles and her groans.

"Your education has been sorely neglected*" Alec told her. " 'Tis the truth you're the most unskilled woman I've ever known. What think you of that* wife?"

"I think you believe I'm about to cry* husband*" Jamie answered. "I know my voice trembled when I told you I was sore. And you're a man who hates a weeping woman* aren't you? Oh* don't be denying it* husband. I saw the way you watched my sisters when they were carrying on so. You looked most ill at ease."

"Yes* it's true*" Alec admitted.

"And so* to prevent my weeping all over you* you insult me to prick my temper. You've guessed I have a temper and you'd rather have me shouting at you than crying."

"You're learning my ways* Jamie."

"I told you I would*" Jamie boasted. "But you've still to learn mine."

"I have no need to—"

"Oh* yes* you do*" she argued. "You confuse inexperienced with unskilled* Alec. What if I told you I could shoot an arrow better than any of your warriors? Or that I could probably outride them—bareback* of course. Or that I could—"

"I'd say you were jesting with me. You can barely hold on to the saddle* wife."

"You've already made up your mind about me* then?"

He ignored that question and asked one of his own. "What is it you wanted to ask me? Something has you worried* doesn't it?"

"I'm not worrying."

"Tell me."

He wasn't going to let her change her mind. "I merely wondered if you were going to give me similar instructions when we reach your holding and your men."

"What instructions?" he interrupted. He didn't have any idea what she was talking about.

"I know you're ashamed of me* Alec* but I don't think I shall be able to keep silent all the time. I'm used to speaking quite freely* and I really don't—"

"You think I'm ashamed of you?"

He actually sounded surprised. Jamie turned in his arms. She pushed the blanket aside and looked into his face. Even in the moonlight* she could see his astonishment.

She wasn't believing it for a minute. "You needn't pretend ignorance with me* Alec Kincaid. I know the truth. A woman would have to be daft not to know why you wouldn't let me speak to your allies. You think I'm ugly. And English."

"You are English*" he reminded her.

"And pleased that I am* husband. Do you know how shallow a man is to judge a woman solely by her appearance?"

His laughter stopped her lecture. "Your rudeness is worse than my appearance*" she muttered.

"And you* wife* are the most opinionated woman I've ever encountered."

"'Tis nothing compared to your sins*" Jamie answered. "You're as riddled as an old shield."

"You aren't ugly."

Alec could tell by the way she continued to frown up at him that she didn't believe him. "When did you come to this conclusion?"

"I've already explained*" Jamie answered. " 'Twas when you wouldn't let me take my gaze off you* when you didn't introduce me to your friends* when you wouldn't let me speak a thought of my own. That's when I came to my conclusion. Make no mistake* Alec*" she rushed on when he seemed about to laugh again* "I don't care if you think I'm pretty or not."

He captured her chin and held it steady. "If you'd stared at one man longer than another* by chance or want* he would have concluded you were fair for the taking. The Kerrys can't be trusted* at least not by my measure. They would have challenged me for you. 'Tis simple enough to understand* even for you* English. Some would perhaps have thought your violet eyes were magical; others might have wanted to touch your hair to see if it felt as silky as it looks. All certainly would have wanted to touch you."

"They would?"

Her eyes had widened in amazement during his explanation. Alec realized she had absolutely no understanding of her own appeal.

"I think you exaggerate* Alec. Those men wouldn't have wanted to touch me."

She was pleading for a compliment. He decided to give it to her. "They would. I didn't want to chance a fight because I know how the sight of blood distresses you."

Jamie was stunned by his casually spoken explanation. Had he just complimented her? Were her eyes magical to him?

"What has you frowning now?"

"I was wondering if you… that is…" She let out a sigh* nudged his hand away from her chin* and rested her face against his warm shoulder again. "Then you don't think I'm ugly."

"I don't."

"I never thought you did*" she admitted* a smile in her voice. " 'Tis good to know you don't find me unappealing."

"I didn't say that."

Jamie decided he was jesting with her again. "I never said you weren't ugly*" she said. "Perhaps I think you are."

He laughed again* a rich* full sound that made her smile all the more. Was it possible she was actually beginning to get used to him?

Alec brushed her hair away from her forehead. "Your face was burned by the sun today. Your nose is as red as fire. I don't find you at all appealing."

"You don't?" She looked startled.

Alec let her see his exasperation. "I was jesting."

"I knew you were*" she said* smiling again.

She yawned* reminding him of how exhausted she was.

"Go to sleep* Jamie."

The tender way he was stroking her back took the bark out of his command. When he started to rub the stiffness out of her shoulders* she closed her eyes and let out a loud* lusty sigh. The palm of her hand rested on his chest. She could feel his heart beating under her fingertips. Almost absentmindedly* she began to stroke a circle around the nipple hidden beneath his chest hair. She liked the feel of him. His wonderful scent reminded her of the outdoors. It was so clean* so earthy.

Alec suddenly grabbed hold of her hand and flattened it against his chest. She guessed he was ticklish.

He guessed she was trying to drive him out of his mind. "Stop that*" he ordered* his voice as gritty as sand.

Jamie didn't remember falling asleep* but she remembered waking up* all right. She was having the most delicious dream. She was sleeping on a bed of wildflowers* completely unclothed. She was letting the sun warm her skin into a fever. The erotic heat made her forget to breathe. That familiar pressure was beginning to build up inside her* and that excruciating ache between her thighs was demanding to be appeased.

Her moan of desire woke her up. It hadn't been a dream at all. Her mind had been playing tricks on her. Alec was the sun* fueling the fever in her blood. She wasn't surrounded by wildflowers* either; she was stretched out on Alec's soft plaid. She had lost her chemise* though. She wondered how that could have happened* then put the negligent worry aside. Alec kept insisting on her attention. He was nuzzling the side of her neck. He rested between her parted thighs.

He was making love to her. Her sleepy confusion suddenly vanished. She was wide awake now. She couldn't see him* the darkness was too heavy* but his ragged breathing* added to the sweet music of the insistent wind* pushed most of her resistance away. She didn't want it to hurt again* thought to tell him just that* but his mouth moved to her breast just as his hand slid into the soft curls between her thighs. She didn't care then if it hurt or not.

His fingers were magical. He knew just where to touch her to make her wild* wet. She tensed against him when his fingers pushed aside the soft* slick folds and moved up inside her. The blissful agony made her cry out for release.

She pulled on his hair to get him to stop. Her mind was quickly changed when his thumb began to stroke the sensitive nub and his fingers thrust back inside her.

Her nails sank into his shoulders again. He grunted in reaction. Jamie was desperate to touch him* to give him the kind of pleasure he was giving her. She tried to move away* but Alec wouldn't let her.

They kissed* a hot* open-mouthed* ravenous kiss. He gave her his tongue. She sucked on it.

"You're so wet*" he told her.

"I can't help it*" she whispered on a half-groan.

His hands spread her thighs wide* and he slowly began to penetrate her. "I don't want you to help it."

"You don't?" she asked* trying to pull him inside her. He was making her daft* easing so slowly inside. She knew she was going to die* but she wanted him filling her* burning her* first.

"It means you're hot for me*" he murmured. "Don't move like that. Let me…"

"This isn't the time for jests* Alec!"

He would have laughed if he'd had the strength. "I'm trying to be gentle*" he told her. "But you're so tight* I…"

She arched against him. Alec forgot all about being gentle then. He pulled her legs high about his waist* twisted her hair around his hands to keep her from moving away from him* and drove inside her with one powerful surge.

He was so out of control he didn't know if he was hurting her or not. He couldn't stop. His mouth trapped any protests she might have tried to make* and when he knew he couldn't hold back any longer* when he felt his seed about to pour into her* he reached down between their bodies and stroked her into joining him.

Her legs were surprisingly strong. She squeezed him between her thighs* inside* forcing his immediate release.

He collapsed on top of her. It took him long minutes before he could regain enough strength to look at her. His first thought* when he could catch hold of one* was that he'd misused her. "Jamie? Did I hurt you? Was I too rough with you?" he whispered.

She didn't answer. Alec leaned up on his elbows to look down on her* his worry obvious in his gaze.

She was sound asleep. Alec didn't know what to make of that. He realized his fingers were tangled in her hair* and slowly* with patience he found surprising* he separated the curls. He took his time smoothing her hair away from her cheeks.

He knew he'd satisfied her. Lady Kincaid was in deep slumber* aye* but she'd fallen asleep with a smile on her face.

The next day proved to be the most difficult for Jamie. It was such beautiful* untamed land they journeyed over* with lochs the wind nudged ripples into* and open moorland expanses covered with grass the color of bright emeralds. There were stark ridges* too. Some of the hilly terrain was thick with green foliage called wild leek* which gave off a most peculiar stench when trodden upon. The grandeur of the Highlands made Jamie think she was slowly climbing up to heaven.

By noon the scenery had lost its appeal. There was a noticeable bite in the air that gained in intensity with each passing hour. Jamie hugged her winter cloak. She was so sleepy she almost fell off her mount. Alec was suddenly by her side. He lifted her onto his stallion. Jamie didn't resist* even when he jerked her cloak away and tossed it to the ground. He wrapped his heavy plaid around her and held her against him.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 01:50 PM   #23

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Bravo

She let out a loud yawn* then asked* "Why did you throw my cape away* Alec?"

"You'll wear my colors to keep warm* Jamie."

He couldn't resist brushing his mouth against the top of her head. He was beginning to think his wife was the most amazing creature. She could fall asleep within the blink of an eye.

He liked the feel of her against him* her womanly scent as well* and in the back of his mind was the realization that she trusted him completely. He liked that most of all.

He hadn't mentioned last night's passionate lovemaking to her. Her blush in the morning light had told him she didn't want him to bring that topic up. Her shyness amused him.

His wife wasn't very strong* though. She didn't know her own body's limitations* either. Alec had recognized her exhaustion immediately. For that reason* he'd set a much slower pace.

She was sleeping soundly; he had to nudge her awake several times before getting any kind of response. "Jamie* wake up. We're home*" he repeated for the third time. "We're home?" she asked* sounding confused. Alec patiently dodged her elbows while she rubbed the sleep from her eyes. "Do you always have such trouble waking after a nap?" he asked.

"I don't know*" Jamie answered. "I've never taken a nap before."

She missed his frown when she turned to look around. "The only thing I'm seeing are trees* Alec. Did you wake me just to jest with me?"

In answer* Alec tilted her chin and pointed. "There* wife. Above the next ridge. You can see the smoke from my hearth."

She did see the stream of smoke curling up into the clouds* and a glimpse of his tower when he nudged his mount farther up the steep slope.

The wall surrounding his castle finally came into view. Lord* it was gigantic. A section looked as though it had been built into the side of the mountain. It was made of brown stone* an innovative break from English tradition* for most of the barons' holdings were built of wood. His wall was much taller* too. Why the top looked as if it reached the clouds. The structure was new* incomplete* too* as there was a wide breach adjacent to the drawbridge.

The trees had all been clipped away to make a wide margin around the wall. There wasn't a blade of grass along the rocky slope to soften the starkness.

The moat* with water as black as parchment ink* curved around the structure. The wooden drawbridge was down* but they headed through the opening in the wall instead.

His castle was much more grand than her papa's humble home. Alec was a rich man* she decided. The main dwelling boasted not one but two turrets* and everyone knew how costly just one was to build.

Jamie certainly hadn't expected anything this magnificent. She thought all Scots lived in stone cottages with thatched roofs and earthen floors* like the serfs in England. She realized now she'd made a prejudicial assumption. There were cottages* however—at least fifty of them* she guessed* peeking through the branches of the trees as high up the hillside as the eye could see. Jamie assumed the huts belonged to the Kincaid clansmen and their families.

"Alec* your home is grand*" she told him. "When your wall is finished* your lower bailey will enclose half of Scotland* don't you suppose?"

He smiled over the astonishment in her voice. "Do you live alone* then? There isn't a single soldier in evidence."

"My men will be waiting for me atop the hill*" Alec answered. "In the courtyard."

"The women as well?"

"A few*" he answered. "Most of the women and children have gone to Gillebrid's holding for the spring festival. Half my number of soldiers are with them."

"And that's the reason it's so quiet?" She turned* smiled up at Alec* and then asked* "How many serve under your command?"

Jamie forgot her question as soon as she'd asked it. His smile had captured her full attention. "You're happy to be home again* aren't you?" she said.

Her eagerness pleased him. "There are five* perhaps six hundred men now* when they're all called together* and yes* English* I'm happy to be home."

Jamie let him see her exasperation. "Five or six hundred? Oh* Alec* you do like to jest with me."

"'Tis the truth* Jamie. There are many Kincaid clansmen."

She could tell he believed what he was telling her. "By a Scotsman's method of counting. I believe you think you have that many men."

"What do you mean by that?"

"I'm merely suggesting you need help counting* Alec. After all* you did tell me it would take us three days to get to your home* and it took us several added days."

"I slowed the pace because of your condition*" Alec explained.

"What condition?"

"You were tender* or have you forgotten that fact?"

She immediately blushed* telling him she hadn't forgotten at all.

"And you're clearly exhausted."

"I'm not*" Jamie replied. "It isn't important*" she rushed on when he started frowning. She was about to meet his relatives and wanted to keep him in a cheerful mood. "If you tell me there are seven hundred men under your direction* then I'll believe you."

His smile told her she'd placated him. Yet she couldn't resist pricking his arrogance just a little. "Isn't it strange* though* Alec* that I don't see any men? Could all six hundred be waiting in your courtyard?"

He laughed over the exasperation she tried to hide from him. And then he let out a shrill whistle.

His call was immediately answered. They came from the top of the wall* the cottages* the stables* from the trees and forest surrounding them* these fierce-looking fighting men* until they covered the ground.

He hadn't exaggerated. If anything* she thought he'd understated their number. While she stared at the soldiers* Alec nodded his approval* then raised his hand into the air. When he made a fist* a resounding cheer split the air.

Jamie was so jarred by the noise that she grabbed hold of Alec's other hand where it rested possessively around her waist. She couldn't stop staring at the men* even though she knew it was rude. She'd come to the land of giants* she decided* as most of the soldiers seemed to be as tall as the pine trees she'd heard they liked to throw.

Their size was most impressive* their watchful gazes unnerving* aye* but it was their state of dress that stunned her speechless.

Cholie hadn't been sotted. She'd known what she was talking about. The Scots did wear women's gowns. Half-naked women's gowns* she qualified. Jamie shook her head. No* they weren't gowns; they were blankets* the Gaelic word for their plaid.

All wore the same plaid. Alec's colors they were. The men had them wrapped around their waists and belted in place; and the plaids barely reached their knees.

Some of the men wore saffron-yellow shirts; others went without. Most were barefoot.

"Would you like to count their number?" Alec asked. He nudged his mount forward* then said* "I would guess around two hundred are here now* wife. But if you'd like to—"

"I'd say five hundred*" Jamie whispered.

"Now you exaggerate."

Jamie glanced up at Alec and tried to find her voice. A wall of soldiers lined the path they climbed* and she therefore kept her voice low when she said* "You have your own legion* Alec* if this be only half your number."

"Nay. A legion is three thousand* sometimes as many as six thousand men. My number is not so high* Jamie* unless I call up my allies* of course."

"Of course."

"You needn't be afraid."

"I'm not afraid. Why would you think I was afraid?"

"You're shaking."

"I'm not*" she denied. "They're all staring at us."

"They're curious."

"We didn't catch them unprepared* did we* Alec?" Her voice sounded terribly forlorn.

"What are you talking about?"

She was staring at his chin. He nudged her chin up* saw her wild blush* and became all the more bewildered. "My warriors are always prepared."

"They don't look prepared."

He suddenly understood why she sounded so embarrassed. "We don't call them gowns."

Her eyes widened in astonishment. "Did Beak tell you—"

"I was there."

"Where?"

"In the stable."

"You weren't!"

"I was."

"Oh* God."

Jamie frantically tried to remember the conversation she'd had with the stable master. "What else did you overhear?" she asked.

"That Scots have minds of sheep* that we throw pine trees at one another* that we—"

"I was just jesting with my sister when I told her… and I thought Cholie was sotted when she told me… Alec* do they always dress so indecently? With their knees showing?"

It was sinful for him to laugh right in her face. "You'll get used to our habits once you settle in*" he promised.

"You don't dress like your soldiers* do you?"

She sounded appalled. "I do."

"No* you don't." Jamie sighed when she realized she'd just contradicted him again. He did seem to take offense whenever she corrected him. "I mean to say* you're wearing proper breeches now and for that reason I did assume—"

"I've been in England* Jamie. 'Tis the reason I wear such cumbersome garb."

Jamie glanced around her again* then returned her attention to her husband.

"How do they keep their britches rolled up above the hem of their plaids?" she asked.

"They don't."

"Then what…" From the devilish look in his eyes* Jamie decided she didn't want to know. "Never mind*" she blurted out. "I've changed my mind. I don't want to know what they wear underneath."

"Oh* but I want to tell you."

He was smiling just like a rascal. Jamie had to sigh over his ungentlemanly remarks and her own unladylike reaction. Lord* he was becoming more handsome by the minute. Her heart started fluttering like a butterfly's wings.

"You may tell me later* then*" she whispered. "Late at night* Alec* when it's dark and you can't see my embarrassment. Do they wear chain mail when they go into battle?" She added that question to get him to forget about the soldiers' lack of undergarments.

"We never wear armor*" Alec explained. "Most of us just wear the plaid. The seasoned warriors prefer the old ways* though."

"What is the old way?" she asked.

"They don't wear anything."

She was certain now he was jesting with her. The picture of naked warriors riding their mounts into war made her laugh with delight. "So they just throw off their blankets and—"

"Aye* they do."

"Alec* you must think me naive indeed to believe that fool's story. Do quit your jesting* please. You're being rude by half ignoring your men for so long."

After making that pronouncement* she turned her back on him* leaned against his chest* and forced a serene expression for the soldiers they passed on their way up the hill.

It took a mighty effort* what with the shameful thoughts Alec had just put into her head.

"You must learn not to give orders* wife."

He dropped his chin to rest on the top of her head as he whispered that order. It was a gentle rebuke. A shiver of pleasure rippled through her stomach. "I would like to do the right thing* husband* and so should you. Rudeness is never acceptable by anyone's measure* even a Scotsman's."

A shout echoed through the trees when they reached the second clearing. Alec jerked on Wildfire's reins as soon as she started fussing* then dismounted. He left Jamie on his stallion and led both horses toward the throng of waiting soldiers.

My* but she was nervous. She folded her hands together so his men wouldn't see how much they shook.

A blond man about Alec's size separated himself from the others and walked over to give greeting to his laird. The man's good looks made her think he was related to Alec. She assumed* too* that he was Alec's second-in-command and a friend as well* for he actually embraced his leader and slapped him mightily on the back.

The loud whack would have felled her to the ground* but Alec didn't even shrug. The burr in the soldier's voice was so thick Jamie couldn't catch every word. She heard enough* though* to blush in reaction. The two giants were taking turns insulting each other. It was yet another odd habit* she supposed.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 01:50 PM   #24

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Chirolp Krackr

The talk turned serious then. She could tell it wasn't good news the man was giving her husband. Alec's voice had taken on a hard edge* and a scowl had settled on his face. He looked furious. The soldier looked worried.

He didn't pay any attention to Jamie until they'd reached the inner courtyard. Then he tossed Wildfire's reins toward the men circling them and turned to lift Jamie to the ground.

He didn't even glance at her. Jamie stood at his side while he continued his conversation with the soldier.

Alec's men seemed to be divided in their curiosity. Half the number stared intently at her* their scowls suggested they didn't like what they were seeing. The other half circled Wildfire. They were smiling. And just what was she to think about that?

Wildfire didn't like the attention she was getting any more than Jamie did. The nervous horse reared up* snorted her displeasure* and rudely tried to trample the men trying to catch hold of her reins.

Jamie instinctively reacted. Like a mother whose child was being naughty* she immediately sought to stop the budding temper tantrum.

She moved too quickly for Alec to catch hold of her. Without a thought to her audience* Jamie skirted her way around her husband and his stallion* nudged two big soldiers apart* and rushed forward to soothe her baby.

She stopped when she was just a few feet away from her pet. Jamie didn't have to say a harsh word. She simply held out her hand and waited.

Wildfire immediately ceased her tantrum. The wild look left her eyes. While the warriors watched in open fascination* the proud white beauty trotted forward to receive a touch from her mistress.

Alec suddenly appeared at Jamie's side. He put his arm around her shoulders and pulled her up against his side.

"She's usually very docile*" Jamie told her husband. "But she's tired* Alec* and hungry* too. Perhaps I should take her—"

"Donald will see to that task."

She didn't want to argue with him in front of his men. Alec took Wildfire's reins* spoke in rapid Gaelic as he gave instructions to the young man who'd just rushed over to him.

Donald was a mite young to be stable master in Jamie's opinion. Yet as soon as he announced that Wildfire was a fine horse indeed* Jamie decided to trust his capabilities. He obviously knew good horseflesh when he saw it. He had a gentle voice* too* at great odds with his flaming red hair and complexion* and an easy smile that made her want to smile back.

Wildfire hated him. The fussy horse tried to push her way between Jamie and Alec. Donald proved determined* however. When Alec added a harsh command* the stable master was able to gain complete control. He led Wildfire across the yard. Jamie watched* feeling like an anxious mother being separated from her baby.

"She'll settle in."

Alec's remark irritated her. So she and her mare were the same in his eyes* were they? He'd said the same thing to her. Horse and wife. "She might*" Jamie answered* stressing the word "she."

They started walking toward the steps leading to his castle doors. Alec still hadn't introduced her to his men. She wondered about that oversight a long minute* then decided he was waiting for the right moment to do it properly.

They reached the top of the steps before he finally paused. He turned around* forcing her to follow with his arm still anchored around her shoulders.

He let go of her then* accepted a plaid from one of his soldiers* and draped it over Jamie's right shoulder. As soon as that action was accomplished* silence filled the courtyard. The soldiers placed their hands over their hearts. Their heads were bowed.

The moment had arrived. Jamie stood as straight as a lance* her hands at her sides* waiting to hear the wonderful speech Alec would give his men. He'd have to give her praise now* she told herself* whether he wanted to or not.

Jamie told herself to remember every single word so she could pull the speech out of her memory and savor it whenever Alec irritated her.

It was a short speech* over and done with* in fact* before she realized it. Alec's voice rang out over the crowd when he shouted* "My wife."

My wife? That was it? He had nothing else to say? When he continued to keep silent* she guessed he was finished. And since he'd spoken in Gaelic* and she'd already decided against letting him know she understood his language* she couldn't very well let him see how irritated she was over his abruptness.

When Alec gave the signal* his men drew their swords. Another great shout echoed throughout the courtyard.

Jamie edged closer to Alec* then bowed her head and made a curtsy to his soldiers.

Their renewed cheers startled her. Alec thought she might be a little intimidated. She looked overwhelmed by all the attention.

"What did you say to them* Alec?" she whispered* knowing full well what he'd said. As soon as he answered her* she thought to tell him that he really should expound upon his introduction.

She never got the chance to enlighten him* however.

"I told them you were English*" Alec lied. He threw his arm around her shoulders again and* as was his disturbing habit* literally hauled her up against his side. God's truth* he treated her just like a satchel.

"And that* of course* is the reason they're cheering*" Jamie countered. "Because I'm English."

"Nay* wife. 'Tis the reason they're screaming."

He was outrageous. Jamie shook her head.

"What think you of my men?" he asked* his tone serious now.

She didn't look at him when she gave her answer. "I'm thinking they all have swords* Kincaid* and you don't. That's what I'm thinking."

The woman had grit* all right. Alec grinned in response to her barb.

The soldiers were openly staring at her. Alec knew they'd have to look their fill. It would take them time to get used to her appearance. In truth* he was still having difficulty with that task.

The soldier Jamie had guessed was Alec's second-in-command rushed up the steps at his leader's beckoning. He stopped in front of Jamie* waiting for an introduction.

"This is Gavin* wife. He's in command whenever I'm away from home."

When Gavin looked into her eyes* she smiled her greeting. Her smile began to falter though* the longer he continued to stare at her. She wondered if he was waiting for her to say something* or if there was some formality she'd yet to complete.

He was a very attractive man. He reminded her of Mary's new husband* Daniel* for when he did finally smile at her* his green eyes sparkled with amusement. "I'm honored to meet you* Lady Kincaid."

Gavin didn't take his gaze away from her when he spoke to Alec. "You've chosen well* Alec. I'm wondering how you ever talked Daniel—"

"A toss of the caber settled the issue of first choice*" Alec announced. "My wife was pick of the litter."

"Pick of the litter?" Jamie turned to frown at her husband. "Are you jesting with me in front of your friend* Alec* or do you really believe what you say?"

"I am jesting*" Alec answered.

"He's always jesting*" Jamie told Gavin* her roundabout way of apologizing for her husband's outrageous remarks.

Gavin was astonished. In all his years* he'd never known Alec to jest about anything. He wasn't about to contradict the new Lady Kincaid* however.

He turned just in time to see Alec wink at his wife. "She's exhausted* Gavin*" Alec said* drawing his soldier's full attention. "A good supper and a long night's rest are just what she needs."

"She needs to see your home first*" Jamie announced. Her voice echoed her exasperation. "For she is most curious."

Both Alec and Gavin grinned over the subtle way Jamie had just censured them for speaking as though she weren't there. Jamie smiled* too* for she was pleased with the way she'd just bested them. "May I also have a bath* Alec?"

"I'll see to that task at once* milady*" Gavin called out before Alec could answer.

He followed behind his new mistress like a puppy. Alec watched Gavin staring at his wife. He was amused by the way his friend tried to hide his reaction to Jamie. Gavin couldn't seem to take his gaze off her.

"Thank you* Gavin*" Jamie replied. "You needn't be so formal with me* though. Please call me Jamie. 'Tis my given name."

When Alec's friend didn't respond to her suggestion*

Jamie turned around to look at him. Gavin was frowning over her request. "It isn't acceptable?" she asked.

"Did you say your name was Jane?"

"No* it's Jamie*" she instructed.

She nodded when Gavin continued to look confused

The soldier turned to Alec and blurted out* "But that's a man's name."

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 01:51 PM   #25

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Chirolp Krackr

Chapter Nine

Contents - Prev | Next

"You put him up to it* didn't you* Alec?"

He didn't bother to answer that absurd question. Jamie did have a man's name* and Alec had far more important matters to see to than to stand in his doorway debating this issue with her.

Both he and Gavin left her frowning after them as they walked down the three steps into the great hall. In truth* he had to give Gavin a good shove to get him started.

Jamie looked around with curiosity. A stone wall as tall as a church steeple was on her right. The stones were cool to the touch* smooth as polished gems* and without a single speck of dust blunting the golden brown color. A wooden staircase led to the second level* where it angled into a balcony that stretched all the way across one side of the building. Jamie counted three doors on the upper level and assumed they were sleeping chambers for Alec and his relatives.

There certainly wasn't much privacy offered by the construction. Anyone in the great hall or the entrance could see who was coming and who was going from the rooms above* so open was the area.

The great hall was large enough for giants. It was stark in appearance* yet immaculate as well. Straight ahead of her was a massive stone fireplace. A blazing fire barely warmed the air in the gigantic room.

The hall was the biggest she'd ever seen. Of course* she'd only seen her papa's hall* and she guessed that didn't really signify; her papa's chamber would have been lost in this hall. The room was as broad as a meadow and was equally divided by a long center pathway of rushes leading to the hearth. A table with at least twenty stools lining its sides took up only a small portion on the left side. Another table of identical dimensions was situated on the right. Just a few feet beyond that table was a tall wooden screen. Jamie assumed the square partition closeted the buttery.

Alec and Gavin were seated at the table in front of the screen. Since neither warrior was paying her any attention* she strolled over to the screen* looked behind it* and was surprised to find a bed there* built on a tall platform. Several pegs cluttered the wall behind the huge bed* and from the size of the garments hanging there* she thought this might be where Alec slept. She prayed she was wrong.

A soldier walked past her and placed her satchel on the foot of the platform. Jamie knew her guess had been accurate then. The soldier gave her a startled look and a gruff reply when she thanked him for bringing her baggage* then motioned her out of the way when another big man carried a circular wooden tub behind the screen and placed it in the far corner.

She was going to have the quietest bath she'd ever had* and that was that. Jamie felt herself blush just thinking about her lack of privacy. The screen would hide her nakedness* aye* yet anyone who happened to walk into the hall would hear the noise and surely guess what she was doing.

Jamie went back to her husband* determined to find out where the kitchen was located so she could order their supper. She reached his side and stood there several long minutes* but Alec still didn't acknowledge her. Gavin was giving his accounting to his laird and had his full attention. Jamie sat down on the stool adjacent to her husband* folded her hands in her lap* and patiently waited for him to finish.

It would have been rude for her to interrupt. Jamie knew it was her duty not to complain either. She was wife of an important laird* after all* and if she had to sit there until morning light before she gained his attention* then sit there she would.

She soon became too sleepy to think about eating. She was just about to get up from the table when two women came rushing into the hall.

Their gowns were made from the Kincaid colors* and from their bearing* Jamie knew they weren't servants. Both women had dark blond hair* brown eyes* and sincere smiles as well* until they turned their attention to her.

Their smiles immediately vanished. The taller of the two actually glared at Jamie.

Jamie glared back. She was too exhausted to put up with such nonsense. Tomorrow* she decided* would be soon enough to try to win the woman's friendship. For now she was going to give as good as she was getting.

A soldier* with features showing a marked resemblance to both women* came into the hall next. He stopped directly behind the two women* placed his hands on their shoulders* and stared at Jamie. His hair was black* almost as black as the scowl he was giving her.

This one had already made up his mind to hate her* Jamie supposed. She assumed it was because she was English. She was an outsider here; it would take time for Alec's clan to accept her. God only knew it was going to take her time to get used to them.

Alec didn't notice the intrusion until Jamie nudged him with her foot. He gave her a frown for interrupting him* then saw the threesome waiting near the entrance. Alec broke into a wide smile immediately. Both women smiled back. The taller of the two rushed forward.

"Come and join us*" Alec called out. "Marcus?" he added when the scowling soldier had walked over to his side* "I'll hear your accounting after supper. Did you bring Elizabeth back with you?"

"I did*" Marcus answered in a clipped voice.

"Where is she?"

"She wanted to wait in her cottage for word of Angus." Alec nodded. He remembered his wife when Marcus turned his gaze to her. "This is my wife*" he announced with a shrug in his voice.

"Her name is Jamie." Alec turned to his wife and said* "This is Marcus. And this is Edith*" he added with a nod toward the woman standing beside the brooding warrior. "Marcus and Edith are brother and sister and first cousins of Helena."

She could have guessed they were sister and brother. Their scowls were quite alike. She was too busy trying to follow Alec's explanation to bother about their rudeness* though. Where was Helena? And who was this Elizabeth that Marcus had just mentioned?

Alec interrupted her puzzling by motioning to the last of the threesome. "Last but certainly not least is my Annie*" he announced. His tone was filled with affection. "Come closer* child*" he called out. "You must meet your new mistress."

When Annie hurried across the room* Jamie realized she was actually a grown woman. Annie appeared to be just a year or two younger than Jamie. Yet there was a childlike expression on her lovely face. She radiated wide-eyed innocence* too.

Annie made an awkward curtsy to Jamie* then smiled sweetly. Her voice was that of a very little girl when she said* "Do I have to like her* Alec?"

"You do*" Alec answered.

"Why?"

"Because it will please me."

"Then I shall like her*" Annie answered. "Even though she's English." Her smile widened when she added* "I've missed you* milord."

Before Alec had a chance to respond to that remark* Annie hurried down to the far end of the table and took her place between Marcus and Edith.

Jamie continued to watch Annie a long moment. She understood what was wrong with the girl. She was one of those special people who stayed childlike all their lives. Jamie's heart went out to Annie and to Alec as well* for he'd shown such kindness.

"Is Annie Marcus's sister* too?" Jamie asked.

"No* she's Helena's sister."

"Who is Helena?"

"She was my wife."

Alec turned his attention back to Gavin before Jamie could ask another question. A group of servants came bustling into the hall* drawing her attention. Jamie's stomach immediately started grumbling when she spotted the platters of food the stout women carried.

Trenchers made of hollowed out stale bread covered the table. A large platter of mutton was placed directly in front of Jamie. She tried not to gag* but the sight and smell made her stomach turn. Jamie detested mutton with a passion* ever since she'd taken ill after eating a portion of tainted mutton when she was just a little girl. She hadn't touched it since.

Wedges of cheese* some yellow* others orange with red streaks* fat tarts overflowing with dark purple berries* and crusty rounds of brown freckled bread were added to the fare. Jugs of ale and pitchers of water completed the supper.

Alec ignored all the commotion until the servants had left the hall. When a group of soldiers walked inside* he acknowledged each man with a curt nod* then went back to questioning Gavin.

He was beginning to get irritated with his second-in-command. While Gavin gave quick* efficient answers to all his questions* he certainly wasn't giving his laird his full attention; he kept staring across the table at Jamie.

Alec's voice turned hard in reaction to the unintentional insult. Jamie looked at her husband. "This news displeases you?" she asked when she caught his attention.

"Angus is missing."

"Angus?"

"A soldier under my command*" Alec explained. "He's equal in rank to Gavin* though his duties are of a different nature."

"He is your friend as well?"

Alec tore a piece of bread in half and offered Jamie one portion before he answered her. "Yes* he has been a good friend as well."

"Who is Elizabeth?" Jamie asked. "I heard you ask Marcus if he'd—"

"She's Angus's wife."

"Oh* the poor woman*" Jamie responded* her voice filled with sympathy. "She must be terribly worried. Couldn't Angus just be late in returning home?"

Alec shook his head. He couldn't understand why Jamie was so concerned. She didn't even know the man. Still* her sympathy pleased him. "He isn't late*" he announced. "Tardiness would be an insult to me* wife. No* something has happened to him."

"He's dead or he'd be here*" Gavin interjected with a shrug.

"Yes*" Alec agreed.

The other soldiers had been intently listening to their conversation. Jamie noticed that* along with the fact that they must all know her language as well as Alec did. They all agreed with Gavin's comment* too.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 01:52 PM   #26

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Chirolp Krackr

"You cannot know if this man is dead*" she announced. Their cold attitude was most barbaric. " 'Tis unkind of you to speak this way about your friend."

"Why?" Gavin asked* frowning.

Jamie ignored his question and asked one of her own. "Why aren't you out looking for him?"

"There are soldiers searching the hills now*" Alec answered.

"We'll probably find his body come morning*" Gavin predicted.

"Gavin* surely you don't mean to sound so uncaring* now* do you?" Jamie asked. "You should believe your friend is safe."

"I should?"

"You all should*" Jamie announced* looking down the length of the table to include everyone in her statement. "One must always have hope."

Alec hid his smile. His wife hadn't been inside his home for more than an hour and she was already giving orders. "It would be a false hope*" he answered. "And you needn't sound so outraged* wife."

He directed the soldiers to join in the conversation. Everyone began talking at once* each giving his own opinion as to what had happened to Angus. While their speculations as to how he was waylaid differed* their conclusion was unanimous: Angus was dead.

Jamie kept silent throughout the remainder of the meal while she listened to each give his own guess. It was soon apparent the missing man was important to them. Still* they harbored no hope.

Neither Edith nor Annie had a comment to make. They kept their gazes directed on their dinner.

Alec touched Jamie's arm. When she looked up at him* he offered her a portion of mutton.

"No* thank you."

"You'll eat this."

"I'll not."

He raised one eyebrow in disbelief. She'd actually argued with him in front of his men. It was unthinkable.

Jamie thought he looked quite astonished. She assumed he didn't like being contradicted. "I don't want any mutton* but thank you so much for offering."

"You will eat this*" Alec ordered. "You're weak. You need to build up your strength."

"I'm strong enough now*" Jamie whispered. "Alec* I can't eat mutton. It won't stay in my stomach. Even the smell makes me sick. The rest of this meal is very nice* though. I couldn't eat another bite."

"Then go and have your bath*" he instructed. He frowned* noticing again the fatigue in her eyes. "Darkness will be here soon* and with it a chill that will settle in your bones if you're not in bed."

"And will it settle in your bones* too?" she asked.

"Nay*" he answered with a grin. "We Scots are made of tougher stuff."

She laughed. The musical sound drew everyone's attention. "You turn my own words back on me*" she remarked.

He didn't answer that comment.

"Where do I sleep* Alec?"

"With me."

His tone didn't leave room for her to argue. "But where?" she persisted. "Do we sleep behind the screen* Alec* or in one of the rooms above the stairs?"

She turned to motion to the balcony and suddenly froze. God's truth* she couldn't believe what she was seeing. Her eyes widened in astonishment.

Jamie stood up and faced the entrance. There were weapons everywhere. They filled the walls from top to bottom on both sides of the yawning entrance. The fact that her husband had a bloody arsenal wasn't what held Jamie so mesmerized* though. No* it was the sword hanging in the center of the far wall.

It was magnificent* this Herculean sword* with clusters of gleaming red and green gems imbedded in the handle. They looked like fat grapes. She stared at the sword a long minute before she looked over at the other weapons. Then she took her time counting. There were five swords in all* hanging among the maces* clubs* lances* and other weapons she couldn't name.

Yes* there were five swords; she counted again just to be sure.

And every damn one of them belonged to him. Oh* how he must have laughed at her when she offered to spend her hard-saved shillings to have a sword made for him. She'd made a fool of herself* she had* but Alec's shame was worse. He'd let her.

She was too embarrassed by her own naivete to look at her husband. She continued to stare at the wall when she said*

"Gavin? Those weapons all belong to my husband* don't they?"

"They do*" Gavin answered. He looked over at Alec to judge his reaction to Lady Kincaid's change in behavior. Surely Alec had noticed how her voice trembled* and surely he could see how she blushed. Gavin thought it odd indeed. His mistress had been very docile* almost timid* during their supper. Why* she'd barely spoken a word.

Alec was watching his wife* but a slow grin settled on his face when she finally turned to him.

Her hands were clenched on her hips. She had the courage to scowl at her husband* too. Gavin was amazed by the transformation in the woman. He'd judged her to be shy* yet when her eyes turned such a deep* angry violet* he changed his mind. Lady Kincaid didn't look timid now. She looked ready to do battle.

Alec seemed to be the man she wanted to do battle with. Didn't she know what a fierce temper Alec possessed? Gavin decided she apparently didn't know* else she wouldn't challenge him so boldly.

"Gavin? In England* what belongs to a husband also belongs to his wife. Is it the same here?"

She hadn't taken her gaze away from her husband when she questioned his soldier. "It's the same*" Gavin answered. "Why do you ask* milady? Is there something in particular you want?"

"There is."

"What* then?" Gavin asked.

"The sword."

"A sword* milady?" Gavin asked.

"No* Gavin* not a sword*" Jamie explained. "The sword. The one in the middle of that wall over there. I want that sword."

A collective gasp filled the hall. Gavin's mouth dropped open. He looked down the table* knew then that the entire conversation had been overheard by all the others. They looked as stunned as he felt. "But that's the laird's very own sword*" Gavin stammered out. "Surely—"

Alec's laughter stopped his explanation. "A wife couldn't even lift that sword*" he said. "No* a mere woman would never have enough strength* especially one who can't eat mutton."

Jamie didn't answer that challenge for a long minute. "Are there daggers she could lift with her puny strength?" she asked at last* smiling ever so sweetly at her husband.

"Of course."

"Then perhaps—"

"A dirk could easily be knocked out of such puny hands* Jamie."

She nodded agreement. Alec was a little disappointed because he'd won their game of sparring so easily. Jamie bowed to him and started toward the screen. Alec watched the gentle sway of her hips until he saw that his men were also noticing. He cleared his throat to get their attention* then let them see his displeasure.

Jamie was almost out of sight when she called back over her shoulder* "Unless* of course* you were sleeping* Alec. Then my puny little hands would be strong enough* don't you suppose? Good night* husband. I pray you have pleasant dreams."

Alec's laughter followed her behind the screen.

"Did I misunderstand?" Gavin asked. "Or did your wife just threaten to murder you?"

"You didn't misunderstand."

"Yet you laugh?"

"Quit your frown*" Alec instructed. "I'm safe enough. My wife wouldn't try to harm me. It isn't in her nature."

"It isn't? She's English* Alec."

"You'll understand when you get to know her better."

"She's very beautiful*" Gavin said. He grinned. "I couldn't help noticing."

"I noticed you noticing*" Alec muttered.

"Yes… well* it's going to take a long while before I get used to her*" Gavin admitted* embarrassed that his laird had caught him staring at his wife. "The men would give their lives to keep her safe* Alec* but I don't honestly know if they'll ever give her their loyalty. 'Tis because she's English* of course."

"I haven't forgotten that fact*" Alec answered. "Every time she opens her mouth* her accent reminds me. Perhaps* in time* Jamie will be able to earn the men's trust. I won't demand it."

"I thought she was timid* but now I'm not so certain."

"She's about as timid as I am*" Alec said. "The woman has few fears. She likes to speak her mind. 'Tis another of her numerous flaws. But she's too gentle for her own good* Gavin."

"I see."

"What the hell are you smiling about?" Alec snapped.

"Nothing* milord."

"Listen to me*" Alec continued. "I want you to guard Jamie whenever I'm away. She's not to be out of your sight* Gavin."

"You expect trouble?"

"I don't*" Alec answered. "Just do as I command without questioning me."

"Of course."

"I want her adjustment to be as smooth as possible. She isn't at all strong."

"You've mentioned that*" Gavin remarked before he thought better of it.

Alec gave him a good scowl to let him know he didn't appreciate his comment. "Even the sight of blood distresses the woman."

"So does the sight of mutton."

The two men shared a laugh. It didn't last long. As soon as Alec glanced down the table* he quit laughing altogether. All his soldiers were staring intently at the screen. They might not trust their laird's wife* but they sure as hell were captivated by her.

Jamie didn't have any idea what an uproar she'd caused. She patiently waited while the servants filled the tub with steaming hot water* visiting with a gray-haired* soft-spoken woman by name of Frieda* until the chore was done.

Frieda was about to leave the area when Jamie asked where the kitchen was located.

"To hell and gone*" Frieda whispered. "Oh* Lord* I dinna mean to say that* mistress."

Jamie held her laughter. The poor woman looked mortified. She didn't want to add to her embarrassment. "I'll not tell anyone*" she promised. "Do you mean* then* that the kitchen is in a separate building?"

Frieda nodded so vigorously that the bun of hair atop her head wobbled. "Some winters is so poor we got to wade through the snow up to our knees. It gets a might cold* lass."

"Tomorrow will you show me where this building is?"

"Why are you wanting to see it?"

"Now that I'm mistress* I might make a few changes here and there*" Jamie explained. "It does sound as though the kitchen needs to be moved closer to the main building* now* doesn't it?"

"Do you mean it* lass?" Frieda asked* her enthusiasm obvious. She frowned then and whispered* "I wouldn't be boasting of making changes* though* leastways not in front of Edith. She likes to think of herself as mistress. She's a bossy bit of goods* that one."

Jamie smiled. "That* too* will have to be changed* won't it?"

She could tell from the beaming smile on the elderly woman's face that she'd made an ally for life.

"You'd best see to your bath before the water turns cold*" Frieda advised before taking her leave.

Jamie thought about Frieda's remarks while she stripped out of her clothes. She eased into the tub without making a sound. She didn't want to make any noise because Alec and his soldiers were just a shout away* but by the time she'd washed her hair and given herself a good scrubbing* she was too tired to care if they heard her or not. She put on a clean sleeping gown* tied the pretty pink ribbons together from waist to neck* and climbed into the huge bed.

It took another half-hour or so to get her hair brushed and partially dried. Alec's sword kept intruding into her thoughts. It was downright humiliating the way he'd let her go on and on about a knight needing a trusty sword. Yet she was smiling about it now. She couldn't stay angry with Alec.

She actually let out a soft chuckle when she remembered suggesting to him that Daniel give him training. Alec probably thought she was the one with brains of sheep. He certainty didn't think she was any better than an ignorant country mouse.

Her last thought before drifting off to sleep was a most revealing one: she wished Alec would come to bed. Heaven help her* she was falling in love with the barbaric Scotsman.

I see the way Alec keeps glancing over at the screen. The English bitch has him wanting her already. Was his love for Helena so shallow he can replace her so easily?

He doesn't remember the lesson. Perhaps he has already given his heart to his bride. God* I hope so. Her death will be all the more painful then.
I won't wait to kill her.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 01:52 PM   #27

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Toto

Chapter Ten

Contents - Prev | Next

The whispers awakened Jamie. She was disoriented at first. The candles were burning still* casting shadows that danced along the screen. Jamie stared at the dark reflections a long minute before she remembered where she was.

The whispers brushed through the air again. She strained to catch a word or two* and when she'd managed that feat* she was wide awake and trembling with fear. Oh* she understood the words now. It was the holy sacrament of extreme unction she was listening to* the sacred rite for a departing soul.

They must have found Angus. Jamie made a hasty sign of the cross* put on her robe* and went to offer her own prayers. She knew she was considered an outsider* but she was Alec's wife all the same. Wasn't it her duty to stand by her husband when he said his farewell to his friend?

Alec didn't hear her approach. Jamie stood behind his back* watching while the priest read the holy rite.

The body had been placed on the table opposite the one in front of the screen. The old priest* dressed in requiem vestments of black with purple trim* stood at one end of the table. He had gray hair* a complexion to match* and spoke in a voice graveled with sadness.

Alec stood at the opposite end of the long table. Soldiers of varying rank filled the spaces between. Anna* Edith* and another woman Jamie guessed was Elizabeth* stood near the hearth.

Jamie's heart went out to the grieving woman. She could see the tears streaming down Elizabeth's face. The woman didn't make a sound* though* a fact that made Jamie admire her all the more. Under similar circumstances* she'd probably be wailing uncontrollably.

She peeked around her husband to get a better look at the man they were mourning.

At first she thought he was dead. Jamie was used to seeing injuries of every sort* and for that reason she barely blanched over the horrible sight before her. There was blood everywhere* or so it appeared to her at first notice. Jamie couldn't tell how much was bluster* though* and how much was real damage. A large curved gash took up a fair portion of the warrior's chest. His lower left arm was broken* too* near the wrist* but it looked like a clean break to her.

He was a battle-scarred man with rugged features and dark brown hair. A large welt had made his brow swell up* giving him a grotesque appearance. Jamie stared at the bump a long while* wondering if that was the blow that had caused his death.

The dead man suddenly grimaced. It was an ever-so-slight movement she would have missed if she hadn't been watching him so intently.

A spark of hope was ignited in her mind. She concentrated on the way the warrior was breathing. It was a mite shallow* she decided* yet true as a rooster's. A good sign* that* for there was usually a rattle shivering through the air when death came stalking his prey.

The truth still took her by surprise. Angus wasn't dying

…yet.

The priest was taking forever to finish his prayers. Jamie didn't want to wait. The man they were mourning would surely catch a fever and die before morning unless she could take care of his injuries.

Jamie reached up to tap Alec's shoulder. He immediately turned around* then moved to block her view of the wounded soldier. He didn't look overly happy to see her.

"It's Angus?" she whispered.

Alec nodded. "Go back to bed* Jamie."

"He isn't dead."

"He's dying."

"No* I don't think he is* Alec."

"Go to bed."

"But Alec—"

"Now."

The harshness in his command worried her. Jamie turned around and slowly walked back to her bed. She was already listing the items she would need to help Angus.

When she returned to her husband* her arms were filled with her precious medicine jars. She had tucked a long needle and sturdy thread into one pocket of her robe. Three white stockings dangled from her other pocket. Jamie was determined to do what she could to save the warrior* with or without her husband's cooperation. She only hoped Alec wouldn't make too much of a fuss before he gave in.

He was going to have to give in* though* and that was that.

The priest gave the final blessing and knelt down. Alec motioned to his men* turned* and very nearly knocked Jamie to the floor. He instinctively reached out to steady her.

He was bloody furious with her. The look on his face said as much. So did his hard grip on her shoulders. Jamie took a deep breath* then blurted out* "In England we have a rather quaint custom* Alec. We don't mourn a man until he's dead* and we don't call for our priest until we're sure he's dying." She'd certainly gained his full attention with that statement. "Alec* you cannot know for certain that Angus is dying. Let me see to his injuries. If God is determined to have him now* nothing I do will make any difference." She shrugged his hands away while she waited for his answer. It was a long time in coming. Alec was looking at her as though she'd just lost her mind. Jamie tried to move to his side* but he blocked her view once again. "There's blood."

"I saw it."

"Blood makes you sick."

"Alec* where do you get your ideas?"

He didn't answer that challenge. "It will not make me sick."

"If you get ill* I'll be very displeased with you."

And if his voice turned any harsher* it would probably cause lightning to strike* Jamie thought. "I'm going to take care of him* husband* with or without your permission. Now get out of my way."

He didn't budge* but his eyes had widened over her sharp command. Jamie thought he might be considering strangling her. She decided then that ordering him about wasn't the right approach. "Alec* did I tell you how to fight those bandits who attacked us on our way here?"

He thought that question was too ridiculous to answer. Jamie answered for him. "No* of course I didn't. I don't know anything about fighting* husband* but I do know a bloody lot about healing. I'm going to help Angus and that's that. Now please move out of my way. Your friend is in terrible pain."

It was her last remark that gained his cooperation. "How can you know he's in pain?"

"I saw him grimace."

"You're certain?"

"Very certain."

The fierceness in her tone amazed him. Before his eyes she was turning into a tigress. "Do what you can."

Jamie let out a weary sigh as she hurried to the table. She placed her jars near one corner* then bent over Angus to study his injuries. The warriors all returned to the table. They looked outraged. Alec thought he might have a rebellion on his hands. He folded his arms across his chest and slowly scanned his audience* for one and all had turned to look at him now. They were obviously waiting to see what he was going to do about his wife's disrespectful interference.

Jamie didn't pay any attention to the soldiers. She gently prodded the edges of the welt on Angus's forehead. She studied his chest wound next.

"'Tis just as I suspected*" she said.

"The damage?" Alec asked.

Jamie shook her head. There was a smile in her voice when she said* "It's mostly bluster."

"Bluster?"

"Meaning it looks worse than it really is*" Jamie explained.

"He isn't dying?"

The priest asked that question. The old man struggled to his feet* wheezing from the effort. He stared at Jamie with a frown as fierce as any she'd ever seen.

"He has a good chance* Father*" Jamie said. She heard a woman cry out and guessed it was Elizabeth.

"I would like to help you*" the priest announced.

"I would appreciate your help*" she replied. She heard the soldiers grumbling under their breath behind her. She ignored them and turned back to her husband. "You were leaving with your men* I noticed* but if it wasn't an important errand* I could use your assistance."

"We were going to build a box*" Alec explained.

"A box?"

"A burial box*" the priest interjected.

Jamie looked incredulous. She felt like putting her hands over Angus's ears so he wouldn't hear this discouraging talk. "For heaven's sake* you'd put Angus in the ground before he quit breathing?"

"No* we'd wait*" Alec answered. "You really think you can save him* don't you?"

"What can I do to help?" Gavin asked before Jamie could answer her husband.

"I need more light* linen strips* a goblet of warm water* bowls with more water* and two slats of wood* Gavin* about this size and length*" she instructed* showing him with her hands the desired dimensions.

If they thought her requests didn't make any sense* they didn't mention it to her.

"His arm is broken* lass. Do you think to cut it off?" the priest asked.

A soldier behind Jamie's back muttered* "Angus would rather die than have his arm removed."

"We aren't going to cut his arm off*" Jamie announced in exasperation. "We're going to straighten it."

"You can do this?" the priest asked.

"I can."

The circle of men tightened around the table. Gavin nudged his way next to his mistress. "Here's the goblet of water you wanted. The bowls are behind you."

Jamie opened one of the medicine jars* pinched a sprinkle of brown powder between her thumb and forefinger* and mixed it with the water in the goblet. When the liquid had turned murky* she handed it to Gavin. "Please hold this for just a moment."

"What is it* mistress?" Gavin asked* sniffing the potion.

"A sleeping drink for Angus. It will also ease his pain."

"He's already sleeping."

Jamie didn't recognize the voice* knew another soldier had called out that comment. His tone had been filled with anger.

"Aye* he's sleeping*" another muttered. "Anyone can see he is."

"He is not sleeping*" Jamie countered* trying to hold her patience. She knew she'd have to gain their confidence if she was going to get their help.

"Then why ain't he talking to us or looking at us?"

"He's in too much pain*" Jamie answered. "Alec* would you hold his head up so he can drink more easily?"

Alec was the only one who didn't argue with her. He moved closer to the table and lifted Angus's head. Jamie leaned over his friend* cupped his face in her hands* and spoke to him. "Angus* open your eyes and look at me."

She had to repeat her demand three times* bellowing the last* before the warrior finally complied.

A surprised murmur rushed around the table. The doubting Thomases had just been convinced.

"Angus* you must drink this*" Jamie ordered. "It will take your pain away." She didn't let up on her prodding until the warrior had swallowed a large portion.

Then she sighed with satisfaction. "It will only take a minute or two before the potion does its work."

After making that statement* Jamie glanced up.

Alec was smiling at her.

"He could still catch fever and die*" she whispered* fearing she'd given him too much hope and not enough caution.

"He wouldn't dare."

"He wouldn't?"

"Not after the way you screamed at him*" Alec replied.

Jamie felt herself blush. "I had to raise my voice*" she explained. " 'Twas the only way I could get him to respond."

"I think he's sleeping now*" Gavin interjected.

"We shall see*" Jamie announced. She once again leaned over Angus and cupped his face in her hands.

"Is the pain leaving you yet?" she asked.

The warrior slowly opened his eyes. Jamie could see the medicine was beginning to work* for his brown eyes were glazed.

His face had taken on a tranquil expression* too. "Have I gone to heaven?" Angus asked* his voice a scratchy whisper. "Are you my angel?"

Jamie smiled. "No* Angus. You're still in the Highlands."

A look of horror crossed the warrior's face. "Good God Almighty* I ain't in heaven. I'm in hell. It be a cruel trick the devil plays. You look like an angel* but you sound… English."

He'd roared the last of his statement and immediately started struggling. Jamie leaned so close to his right ear she was almost kissing him* then whispered in Gaelic* "Rest easy* friend. You're safe in Scots' hands* you are*" she lied. "Picture your next battle with the English if it will make you feel any better* but hush your talk now. Let the potion woo you to sleep."

The soft burr she'd deliberately put in her voice sounded awful to her. Angus was too drowsy to notice* though. He quit his struggles and closed his eyes again.

He fell asleep with a smile on his face.

Jamie thought he might be counting the number of English soldiers he was going to kill.

"What did you say to him* milady?" a soldier asked over her shoulder.

"I told him he was too stubborn to die just yet*" Jamie replied with a dainty shrug.

Gavin was disconcerted. "But how would you be knowing if Angus was stubborn or not?"

"He's a Scotsman* isn't he?"

Gavin looked over at Alec to see if they were supposed to be amused or insulted by Lady Kincaid's comment. Alec was smiling. Gavin decided his mistress must have meant to jest with him. A frown marred his brow* and he began to wonder how long it was going to take him to understand this unusual Englishwoman. Her sweet voice was as deceptive as her appearance. She was such a delicate-looking little thing. Why* the top of her head barely reached her husband's shoulder. That husky voice of hers could coax him into complying with each and every request she gave if he didn't stay on his guard.

"I would also like to help you."

The tearful voice belonged to Elizabeth. She stood across the table* facing Jamie. The fair-haired woman still looked frightened* but determined* too* and when Jamie smiled at her* she gave a hesitant smile back. "Angus is my husband. I'll do whatever you tell me to do."

"I'm thankful for your help*" Jamie told her. "Dampen this cloth and press it to your husband's brow*" she directed.

Jamie pulled three stockings out of her pocket and slipped one of them over the wood slat Gavin had provided. Before she was finished* one of the soldiers had covered the second slat for her.

Her hands were shaking now* for the task she most dreaded couldn't be delayed any longer. It was time to straighten Angus's arm.

"In England* it has become fashionable to use a sleeping sponge to put a man to sleep* but I don't hold with that form of treatment*" she rambled. "I pray Angus will sleep through this."

"Would he sleep better if you'd used the sponge?" a soldier asked.

"Oh* yes*" Jamie answered. "But he might not wake up. Most don't. The disadvantage does outweigh the merit* don't you think?"

The soldiers immediately blurted out their agreement.

"Alec? You're going to have to do this for me. I don't have the strength*" she said. "Gavin* I'll need long strips of linen ready to bind the slats together."

Jamie worked the third stocking over Angus's swollen hand* paused to cut five holes in the toe of the sock* then eased his fingers and thumb through the openings. Each time she touched his arm* she gave Angus a quick* worried glance to see if he'd awakened.

"Alec* take hold of his hand. Gavin* you hold his upper arm*" she directed. "Pull* but ever so slowly please* until I can straighten the bone. Elizabeth* you must turn your back now. I don't want you watching this."

Jamie took a deep* settling breath* then murmured* "God* I do hate this part of my duties. Do it now."

It took three attempts before she was satisfied that the broken ends of the bone were in the correct position. She slid the first slat under the arm* then put the second on top. Her hands shook. Alec held the slats in place while Jamie wound the strips of linen around and around the wood. When she was finished* Angus's arm was firmly locked in place.

"There* the worst is finished*" she said with a deep sigh of relief.

"But his chest* milady*" the priest reminded her. He let out a loud* painful-sounding cough* then added* "It's got a gaping hole in it."

"It looks worse than it truly is*" Jamie answered.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 01:53 PM   #28

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Toto

A collective sigh made her smile. When she requested additional light* she was almost blinded by the number of candles the soldiers held up for her.

Jamie asked for another goblet of warm water. She opened yet another one of her jars* sprinkled a fair amount of orange powder into the liquid* and then surprised the priest by handing it to him. "Drink this. It will cure your cough*" she told him. "I can tell it pains you."

The priest was speechless. Her consideration astonished him. He took a fair gulp* then grimaced. "Drink every bit of it* Father*" Jamie ordered.

Like a child* he balked for a minute* then did as she ordered.

Jamie turned her attention to Angus's chest injury. She worked well into the night. The wound was crusted with dirt and dried blood. Jamie was meticulous in her task* for she knew from past experience* and from her mother's instructions* the terrible damage a single fleck of dirt could do if left inside the wound. She didn't understand the reason behind this truth but believed it to be fact all the same. Since the wound was ragged* she used needle and thread to sew the edges together.

Alec had ordered a bed carried into the great hall. He knew Jamie would wish to have her patient nearby* and Angus's cottage was a good distance away.

Angus's wife hadn't spoken another word during the long night. She hadn't moved from her position across from Jamie and watched her every move.

Jamie barely paid her any attention. She'd been bent over the warrior for such a long time that when she finally straightened away from the table* pain rushed up her spine* startling a gasp out of her. She stumbled backwards. Before she could regain her balance* she felt at least a dozen hands on her back bracing her.

"Elizabeth* please help me bandage your husband's chest*" she asked* thinking to include the worried-looking woman.

Elizabeth was eager to assist. As soon as the task was done* Alec carried his friend over to the bed. Jamie and Elizabeth followed behind.

"He'll be spitting mad with pain when he wakes up*" Jamie predicted. "You're going to have a bear on your hands* Elizabeth."

"But he will wake up."

There was a smile in Elizabeth's voice. "Aye* he will wake up*" Jamie confirmed.

She let Elizabeth tuck the covers around her husband's shoulders before she asked* "Where did Edith and Annie go?"

"Back to their cottage to sleep*" Elizabeth answered. She brushed her hand across Angus's brow in a gentle* loving action that told how very much she cared for her husband. "I'm to wake them when Angus… when he dies."

Jamie gave Alec a perplexed look.

Father Murdock started snoring* drawing everyone's attention. The old priest was sprawled in a chair he'd pulled up next to the table. "Oh* dear*" Jamie said. "I forgot to tell him the potion would make him sleepy."

"He can sleep there*" Alec announced. He turned to Angus's wife and said* "Elizabeth* go and get some rest. Gavin and I will take turns sitting with your husband until you return."

From the crestfallen look on Elizabeth's face* Jamie could tell she didn't want to leave her husband. Yet she immediately nodded and started for the door. Jamie assumed that obedience to her laird overrode all other considerations.

"Alec* if you were ill* I certainly wouldn't leave your side. Why can't Elizabeth sleep here? She could rest in a chair or perhaps use one of the rooms above the stairs* don't you suppose?"

Elizabeth whirled around. "I would be most comfortable*" she interjected.

Alec looked from one woman to the other* then nodded. "Go and gather your things*" he said. "You'll sleep in one of the rooms upstairs* Elizabeth. You must remember your condition. Angus will be angry if he wakes up and finds you exhausted."

Elizabeth made a formal curtsy. "Thank you* milord*" she said.

"Marcus? Take Elizabeth to her cottage to get her things*" Alec called out.

Jamie stood next to the bed* watching Angus. Elizabeth walked over to her side* hesitated* then reached out to touch her hand. "I would thank you* mistress*" she whispered.

"You won't have to wake Edith and Annie*" Jamie replied.

Elizabeth smiled. "No* I won't have to wake them." She started to turn away* then changed her mind. "My son will carry his father's name when he arrives."

"When does this blessed event take place?" Jamie asked.

"In six months' time. And if it's a girl…"

"Yes?"

"I shall name her after you* milady."

Jamie would have laughed if she'd had the strength. She was so exhausted* though* she could only manage a smile. "Did you hear her promise* Alec? Elizabeth doesn't seem to think Jamie is a man's name. What think you of that."

Elizabeth smiled at Alec* received his nod* and then said* "Jamie? I thought your name was Jane* milady."

Alec laughed for his wife. Elizabeth squeezed Jamie's hand to let her know she was jesting* then left the hall with Marcus.

"Does that man ever smile?" Jamie asked Alec when they were once again alone.

"Who?"

"Marcus."

"Nay* he doesn't* Jamie."

"He dislikes me immensely."

"Aye* he does."

Jamie gave Alec a disgruntled look over his easy compliance* then mixed another potion that was known to chase fever away. She was walking back to the bed when she suddenly realized she hadn't looked at the lower half of

Angus's body to see if there were other injuries needing her attention.

She decided to let Alec do the looking while she kept her eyes closed.

"There aren't any other injuries*" Alec announced after he'd done as Jamie asked.

Her relief was short-lived. When she opened her eyes* Alec was standing just a foot or so away* smiling down at her. "You're blushing* wife. Answer me this question*" he commanded in a soft* teasing voice. "If there had been injury* what would you have done?"

"Repaired it if possible*" Jamie answered. "And probably blushed all the while. You must remember* Alec* I'm a mere woman."

She waited for him to contradict her.

"Aye* you are that."

The way he was looking at her made her blush intensify. Whatever was the matter with him? He acted as though he wanted to say something more to her* yet couldn't make up his mind.

"Am I back to looking ugly* husband? I know I must look a mess."

"You were never ugly*" Alec answered. He brushed a lock of her hair back over her shoulder. The tender action sent a shiver down her arms. "But you do look a mess."

She didn't know how to take that remark. He was smiling at her* so she guessed he hadn't just insulted her. Or had he? The man did have an odd sense of what was amusing.

The longer he continued to stare at her* the more nervous she became. "Here* make Angus drink this." She thrust the goblet into his hands.

"For the last several hours you've snapped out orders like a commander on a field of battle* Jamie. Now you act shy with me. What has caused this change?"

"You*" Jamie replied. "You make me shy when you stare at me like that."

"'Tis good to know."

"No* it certainly is not good to know*" Jamie muttered.

She snatched the goblet out of his hands* hurried over to Angus's side* and nagged her patient into drinking the full portion.

"I want you to wear my plaid*" Alec said.

"What?"

"I want you to wear my colors* wife."

"Why?"

"Because you belong to me now*" Alec patiently explained.

"I'll wear your plaid when my heart wants to belong to you* Kincaid* and not a minute sooner. What think you of that?"

"I could order you to—"

"But you won't."

Alec smiled. His gentle little wife was beginning to understand him* after all. But he was also learning just how her mind worked. The foolish woman didn't realize her heart had already softened toward him. Still* he wanted her to admit it. "Did you mean what you said to Elizabeth? Would you have stayed by my side if I'd been wounded?"

"Of course."

She didn't even look over her shoulder when she added* "You can rid yourself of that cocky smile* husband. Any wife would stay by her husband. It's her duty."

"And you would always do your duty."

"I would."

"I will give you two weeks to make up your mind* Jamie* but you will eventually wear my plaid."

While he watched Jamie* the truth nudged a rather contradictory admission from him. He actually wanted her to care for him. He wanted her to love him. He was* however* quite determined not to love her. His reason was simple: a warrior did not love his wife; he owned her. There was good reason for this* of course: love complicated a relationship. It could also undermine the duties of a laird. No* he could never love Jamie. But he'd be damned if she didn't start to love him soon. "Two weeks."

She didn't need that reminder. "You are very arrogant* husband."

"'Tis good of you to notice."

Alec left the hall before she could stifle her laughter enough to bait him again. His soldiers would be waiting in the courtyard and the bailey below* wishing to hear how their friend was doing. Several hundred men were keeping Angus's deathwatch. They wouldn't take to their pallets until they'd come inside to see their friend. It was their right* and Alec wouldn't deny them.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 01:53 PM   #29

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

Angus was just waking up from his drug-induced sleep when Jamie was closing her eyes. She knelt on the floor* her feet tucked under the hem of her robe. Her long hair was spread like a blanket across her back. Angus groaned when he tried to move his throbbing arm. He wanted to rub the sting away* yet when he tried to move his other hand* he felt someone take hold of him.

He opened his eyes and immediately saw the woman. Her head rested next to his thigh. Her eyes were closed. He didn't know how he knew* but he was certain her eyes were violet* clear* enchanting violet.

Angus thought she was asleep* yet when he tried to pull his hand away from her grasp* she wouldn't let him.

The soldiers began to file into the hall then* drawing his attention. His friends were all smiling at him. Angus tried to return their greeting. He was in pain* aye* but their smiles told him he was not dying. Perhaps* he thought* the last rites he'd overheard were for someone else.

Alec* with Gavin at his side* stood near the entrance* waiting. Alec stared at his wife* but Gavin watched the men.

It was a magical moment* by Gavin's reckoning. The soldiers looked stunned by the sight they witnessed. One and all knew Lady Kincaid had saved their friend from certain death. Angus's weak smile confirmed the miracle.

The hall could only hold a third of their number* yet when the first man knelt down and bowed his head* the others followed his lead* until even the soldiers outside were kneeling.

It was a united show of loyalty* Alec knew* but it wasn't for Angus that the soldiers knelt. No* Angus was their equal. They wouldn't kneel before him. The soldiers were now giving Lady Kincaid their loyalty* their complete trust.

And his wife slept through their silent pledge.

"I boasted it would take her a long time to earn their trust*" Gavin told Alec. "I was wrong. It has taken her less than one day."

Marcus* with his sister Edith* walked into the hall just as the last of the soldiers filed past. They waited by Gavin's side* until Elizabeth* holding on to Annie's hand* caught up with them.

"Do you see* Annie? I told you Angus was better. Look how he's smiling." Elizabeth whispered her happy news* then dropped Annie's hand to rush forward to her husband's side.

"Lady Kincaid saved Angus*" Gavin told Marcus." 'Tis a time for joy* my friend* not anger. Why do you frown so?"

"Angus would have made it with or without Lady Kincaid's assistance. It was God's decision* not hers."

The harshness in his tone turned Alec's attention to him. "You do not accept my wife* Marcus?" he asked* his voice deceptively mild.

The warrior immediately shook his head. "I accept her because she's your wife* Alec* and I would protect her with my life*" he added. "But she won't win my loyalty so easily."

Anna and Edith stood by Marcus's side* mimicking his frown as they listened to the conversation. Alec looked at each one* then spoke again. "All of you will make her welcome. Do you understand me?"

The women immediately nodded their compliance. Marcus took a bit longer to agree. "Have you forgotten our Helena so soon* Alec?"

"It's been almost three years*" Gavin interjected.

"I haven't forgotten*" Alec announced.

"Then why—"

"I married to please my king* Marcus* and you damn well know it. Before you turn your back on my wife* remember this* all of you. Jamie also married by command from her king. She didn't want this marriage any more than I did. Honor her for doing her duty."

"She really didn't wish to marry you?" Annie asked. Her brown eyes mirrored her surprise.

Alec shook his head. "The only reason I discuss such matters with you* Annie* is because of your sister* Helena. Jamie was pledged to another man. Why would she want to marry me?"

"The English dislike us as much as we dislike them*" Gavin interjected.

"Your wife doesn't know how fortunate she is*" Annie shyly interjected.

Alec smiled at the sincerity in Annie's voice. He left the three staring after him as he walked over to his sleeping wife and gently lifted her into his arms. He held her close against his chest.

Gavin followed behind* thinking to take over the watch by Angus's side.

"I wonder* Alec* how long it's going to take your wife to accept us?" he remarked.

"Little time at all*" Alec predicted. He started toward his bed* then called over his shoulder* "She'll settle in* Gavin. You'll see."

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 01:54 PM   #30

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Chirolp Krackr

Chapter Eleven

Contents - Prev | Next

She started three wars the first week.

Jamie's intentions were quite honorable. She'd decided to make the best of her situation* accepting the fact that she was married to a laird now. She would do her duty as his wife and take care of him and his household. No matter how difficult the adjustment might be for Alec* she wouldn't shirk her obligations.

In the back of her mind was a glimmer of hope that while she was busy tending to her new duties* she would also start making a few necessary changes. Why* if she really put her mind to it* she might even be able to civilize these Highlanders.

The wars* coming one atop the other* actually crept up on Jamie. She wasn't about to take the blame for instigating any of the conflicts. No* the blame belonged to the Scots* their ridiculous customs* their stubborn nature* and most especially* their unbending pride. Was it her fault none of these barbarians ever made a bit of sense?

Jamie slept past the nooning meal the day after she patched up Angus. She thought she deserved the long rest until she remembered it was Sunday and she'd missed mass. It was a duty to attend the service* and the realization that no one had bothered to wake her up irritated her. Now she was going to have to use one of her shillings to buy an indulgence.

She dressed in a cream-colored chemise and a ruby-colored bliaut* then draped a braided belt around her waist ever so loosely so it would rest on her hips* as was the fashion these days. She might not have gone to court* but she kept up with the newest styles* even though it was a bother. Still* she didn't want the Scots thinking she was just an ignorant country girl. She was their laird's wife now and must always look fashionable. She brushed her hair* gave her cheeks a good pinch for color* and went to see how her patient was doing. If all was well with Angus* she would find the priest and put the matter of her sin in his hands.

She dreaded the coming penance.

Luck was on her side* however. Not only was Angus sleeping peacefully* but the priest was also in the hall. He was taking his turn sitting beside the warrior.

The priest started to stand when he saw Jamie approaching. "Pray stay seated* Father*" Jamie requested with a smile.

"We've not been properly introduced*" the priest announced. "I'm Father Murdock* Lady Kincaid."

It was still difficult to understand him. The priest's voice was as thin as his hair. The soft burr in his speech only added to the problem. He sounded in dire need of a good cough. Jamie resisted her urge to cough for him.

"Has the pain in your chest let up* Father?" she asked.

"It has* milady* it surely has*" Father Murdock answered. "I haven't slept so well in many a night. That potion you gave me turned the trick."

"I'd like to make a salve for you to rub on your chest*" Jamie said. "We'll have that cough gone by week's end."

"Thank you* lass* for taking the time to help this old man."

"I must warn you* Father* the stench in this paste will make your friends keep well away from you." Father Murdock smiled. "I shall not mind."

"Has Angus been resting well?"

"He's sleeping now* but earlier Gavin had to restrain him. Angus was trying to tear the bandages off his bad arm. Elizabeth was so distressed she wanted to awaken you. Gavin ordered her to bed."

Jamie frowned over this news while she studied the warrior's swollen fingers. The color was good enough to please her. She put her hand on his brow next. "The fever didn't catch hold of him*" she announced. "Your prayers have saved him* Father."

"Nay* lass*" the priest contradicted. "You are the one who saved him. God must have decided to let Angus stay with us* and in his wisdom he sent you here to tend to him."

His praise embarrassed her. "Well* he sent you a sinner*" she blurted out* wanting to get the dreaded business over. "I missed mass this morning*" she explained after she'd pressed a shilling in his hand. "Please accept this coin for an indulgence."

"But mistress—"

"Now* Father* before you decide upon my penance* I would like to explain my reasons. I wouldn't have missed mass if Alec had wakened me*" she said. Her hands settled on her hips and she tossed her hair back over her shoulder in a gesture Father Murdock found enchanting. A frown worried her brow. "Come to think of it* this really should be Alec's sin* too. What think you of that?"

The priest didn't answer her soon enough. "Do you know*" she continued* "the more I reflect on this problem* the more I become convinced Alec should be the one giving you his coin. Why* this is really his sin."

Father Murdock was having difficulty following her train of thought. He felt as though a whirlwind had just filled the room. A whirlwind with the sun shining through. The priest wanted to laugh with sheer joy. The gloom that had hovered over Alec's home since Helena's death would leave now. He was sure of it. He'd seen the way his laird watched his wife all during the night while she worked on Angus. He'd looked just as surprised as the rest of them… and just as pleased.

"Father?" Jamie asked. "What think you of my worry?"

"Neither one of you has sinned."

"We haven't?"

Father Murdock smiled over the surprise his statement had caused. Lady Kincaid looked flabbergasted. "You're very devout* aren't you* Lady Kincaid?"

It would have been a sin to let the priest think that. "Oh* heavens no*" she said hurriedly. "I cannot let you believe such a lie. It's just that our priest back home… well* he is most devout* and I must tell you his penances are usually bloody awful. I think boredom led him to be strict. He made Agnes cut her hair once. She cried for a week."

"Agnes?"

"One of my dear sisters*" Jamie explained.

"It must have been a terrible sin*" Father Murdock remarked.

"She fell asleep during one of his sermons*" Jamie confessed.

The priest tried not to laugh. "We're not so rigorous here*" he advised. "I promise I will never make you cut your hair* Lady Kincaid."

"What a shame you didn't live with us then*" Jamie interjected. "Agnes's hair hasn't curled since she was forced to cut it."

"How many are there in your family?" the priest asked.

"There were five of us* all girls* but the eldest* Eleanor* died when I was just seven* so I don't remember her very well. The twins* Agnes and Alice* came next* then Mary* and I'm the baby. Papa raised us mostly by himself*" she added with a gentle smile.

"A sound family it seems to me*" the priest remarked with a nod. "Are your sisters as pretty as you are?"

"Oh* much prettier*" Jamie stated. "Mama was fat with me when she married Papa. He'd lost his wife* you see* and Mama had lost her husband right after she'd married him. It made no matter to Papa though. I became his baby as soon as he wed Mama."

"A good man*" Father Murdock commented.

"Yes*" Jamie agreed with a sigh. "Just mentioning my family makes me miss them."

"Then we won't speak of this any longer*" Father Murdock advised. "Take this coin back* please* and put it to better use."

"I'd rather you kept the shilling. My husband's soul could surely use some attention. He's a laird* after all* and has had to kill men in battle. Do not misunderstand me* Father* for Alec would never* ever take a life without a good reason. Though I don't know him as well as you do* I do believe he wouldn't go looking for trouble. In my heart I know this is true. You must take my word on this matter* Father."

Alec walked into the hall just in time to overhear his wife's defense of his character.

"I agree with you* lass*" the priest answered. He glanced up and saw the exasperated look on his laird's face. He had trouble restraining his chuckle.

"Well* now*" Jamie said* her sigh of relief evident. "I'm pleased you agree. Though it's shameful of me to admit* I do get tired of having to think about my soul all the time. Father Charles made us confess every thought. 'Tis the truth there were times I made up a few just to appease the man. He's a most conscientious priest and we did lead a very sedate life. Nothing sinful ever happened."

Father Murdock thought the priest sounded like a fanatic. "We're much more relaxed here* Lady Kincaid."

"I'm pleased to hear this*" Jamie returned. "Now that I'm married* I must also take care of my husband's soul* and if that isn't enough to turn my hair gray* I don't know what is. Father* I do believe we shall become good friends. You must begin by calling me Jamie* don't you suppose?"

"What I suppose* Jamie* is that you have a gentle heart. You're just the breath of fresh air this cold old castle is needing."

"Aye* Father* she does have a gentle heart*" Alec interjected. "She'll have to try to overcome that flaw."

"Having a gentle heart isn't a flaw."

Jamie was thankful she'd made that emphatic statement while still looking at the priest* for once she turned around to confront her husband* she wasn't able to speak at all. She gasped instead.

Alec was half naked.

Alec was dressed like a barbarian. He wore a white shirt but that was the only civilized garment covering his huge body. The shirt was partially covered by the end of his plaid draped over his shoulder. The rest of his plaid was wrapped around his waist. It was folded into wide pleats* held in place by a narrow roped belt* and fell only to mid-thigh. Black boots* that were gray in the worn places* covered only a part of his muscular legs.

His knees were as bare as a baby's arse.

Alec thought she looked ready to faint. He hid his irritation while he patiently waited for her to get accustomed to his attire* then said* "How's Angus doing?"

"I beg your pardon?"

She was still staring at his knees. "Angus*" Alee repeated a bit more forcefully.

"Oh* yes* Angus* of course*" she answered* nodding several times.

When she didn't say another word* Alec commanded* "You'll look at my face when I speak to you* wife."

Jamie was startled by the harshness in his rebuke. She quickly did as he had ordered.

Alec was sure her blush could start a fire. "How long do you think it's going to take you to get used to seeing me dressed this way?" he asked* his exasperation obvious.

She recovered quickly. "What way?" she asked* smiling innocently.

A wry grin softened his mouth. "Will I always have to repeat myself to you?"

She shrugged her answer. "Was there something you wanted to speak to me about?" she asked.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)

أدوات الموضوع
انواع عرض الموضوع

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات