آخر 10 مشاركات
عشق من قلـب الصوارم * مميزة ومكتملة * (الكاتـب : عاشقةديرتها - )           »          معذبتي الحمراء (151) للكاتبة: Kim Lawrence *كاملة+روابط* (الكاتـب : Gege86 - )           »          ساحرتي (1) *مميزة , مكتملة* .. سلسلة عندما تعشق القلوب (الكاتـب : lossil - )           »          ثَأري..فَغُفْراَنَك (الكاتـب : حور الحسيني - )           »          الرزق على الله .. للكاتبه :هاردلك يا قلب×كامله× (الكاتـب : بحر الندى - )           »          شـقّ الـغَـمـام (الكاتـب : مدامع حزينة - )           »          ✨الصالون الأدبي لرمضان 2024 ✨ (الكاتـب : رانو قنديل - )           »          جدران دافئة (2) .. سلسلة مشاعر صادقة (الكاتـب : كلبهار - )           »          263 - بيني وبينك - لوسي غوردون (الكاتـب : PEPOO - )           »          ندبات الشيطان- قلوب شرقية(102)-للكاتبة::سارة عاصم*مميزة*كاملة&الرابط (الكاتـب : *سارة عاصم* - )

العودة   شبكة روايتي الثقافية > مكتبات روايتي > English Library > Fiction > Romance

إضافة رد

LinkBack أدوات الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
قديم 04-03-11, 01:18 AM   #21

Dalyia

إدارية ومشرفة سابقة وكاتبة بمكتبة روايتي وعضوة بفريق التصميم والترجمة و الافلام والسينما ومعطاء التسالي ونجمة الحصريات الفنية ومميز بالقسم الطبى

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
?  نُقآطِيْ » Dalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond repute
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

She was a nervous wreck. Some adventures were better left unpursued* she thought frantically. She had to be crazy to be doing this. Adam was right. It was foolishness.
She turned to leave and saw him standing there on stage with her* with his rifle up and ready to fire and an expression on his face that would have made the fainthearted shriek.
He wasn't going to let any harm come to her. Her smile widened as she turned back to her audience. Her knees were knocking* her stomach was flipping* and her throat was closing* but all she could think about was that Adam was protecting her.
Was it any wonder why she loved this man?
Something smelled vile. It was the sinful stench of whiskey surrounding her. She looked from side to side and saw all the empty bottles littering the tables and the floor.
Her audience was drunk* shame on them* and she was suddenly too disgusted to be nervous.
The crowd was finally getting over their initial surprise. Some of the men smiled at her; others frowned. She wasn't at all what they had expected* but before any of them could get riled up about Steeple's trickery in substituting one woman for another* Genevieve began to sing.
From that moment on* she held them in the palm of her hand. Adam wouldn't have believed it if he hadn't seen it with his own eyes. Within minutes* she had turned drunken louts into simpering crybabies.
She chose to sing one of her church songs* "Come Ye Sinners* Poor and Needy." The lyrics aptly fit the audience. Her voice was so rich and vibrant it caressed the crowd and soothed the beast within them. One by one the men began to listen to the words and bow their heads. Several pushed their glasses of whiskey aside. Others took out their handkerchiefs and wiped the tears from their eyes.
By the time the song ended* everyone was weeping. Adam moved back into the shadows and lowered his rifle. He wanted to laugh* so bizarre did he find their reaction* but he didn't dare for fear the sound would break the collective mood in the saloon. He knew why she had chosen the song* of course. She wanted to shame the men* and from the way their shoulders were shaking and their heads were bobbing* it was apparent she had succeeded.
The second song was called "My Sainted Mother* Your Hopes for Me" and struck an even greater emotional chord with the crowd. By the time she was finished with the third verse* one man was bawling so loudly his friends had to hush him.
Steeple went into a panic as soon as he noticed no one was buying or drinking his high-priced liquor. He moved forward to get Genevieve's attention* and when she glanced over at him* he started seesawing his arm back and forth and snapping his fingers to let her know he wanted her to pick up the beat.
Adam did laugh then. He simply couldn't contain his amusement any longer. Genevieve smiled at Steeple and then proceeded to sing yet another song about death and redemption and sinners who finally saw the light and changed their sorry ways. Adam suspected she was making up the lyrics as she went along* because none of the words rhymed* but he seemed to be the only one who noticed.
Steeple was tearing his hair out in despair over the amount of money he was losing because she wasn't cooperating. He was doing the two-step on the side of the stage in yet another attempt to get her to sing something a bit more snappy.
She ignored him and continued to work the crowd into a frenzy of regret. One man called out in a weepy shout to please sing that pretty song about his mama once again. Steeple frantically shook his head at Genevieve* but she simply couldn't refuse the request and launched into the heart-wrenching song one more time.
When she finished* they clapped and they wept* and Harry Steeple burst into tears.
Her throat was getting parched* and she decided to sing one last song and then take her leave. She poured her heart and her soul into the sweet* uplifting spiritual. It had always been a favorite of her father's* and her audience responded to the melody and the lyrics in much the same way he had. They stomped their feet and clapped their hands to the beat.
She was just reaching the high note in the last verse when she happened to notice the doors of the saloon open. Three men squeezed their way inside.
One of them was Ezekiel Jones.
She froze. She stopped singing so abruptly it was as though her voice had been cut off in mid-note by a blade. She jerked back* her gaze locked on Ezekiel* and she went completely rigid. She was staring into the glowing eyes of the devil himself* but she couldn't turn away* couldn't move* for what seemed an eternity. Fear immobilized her. Her hands balled into fists at her sides* and she could only stand there and watch as Ezekiel slowly threaded his way through the crowd. She kept telling herself to run* run* and finally the frantic thought penetrated her stupor and she turned to Adam and started to run to him* but just as suddenly she stopped.
He saw the panic in her eyes* took a step toward her* and at the same time swung his rifle up and scanned the audience looking for the threat.
She shook her head. No* she couldn't go to him. She wouldn't put him in such jeopardy. The jackals were closing in on her* and he would try to protect her. She couldn't risk Adam getting hurt* and she knew without a doubt that Ezekiel was capable of killing him.
Shuddering heavily* she turned toward Steeple and ran. Her hat flew down to the stage behind her. Steeple tried to grab her as she passed him* but she was too quick and he was too surprised by her abrupt departure.
Her satchel was on the chair next to the storage closet. She scooped it up in her arms as she raced by. She went out the back door into the alley* turned one way and then the other as she tried to remember which direction to take to the livery stable.
Adam was tearing the door open when she made up her mind and ran. He shouted her name and knew she heard him because she hesitated before she turned and disappeared around the corner. She was headed for the main street* and he was pretty certain she was going to the livery stable to get her horse and leave town.
He started to go after her* but just as he was about to reach the mouth of the alley* he heard the telltale squeak of the saloon's back door* and he quickly moved into the shadows behind a stack of crates.
Someone in that crowd had terrified her* and he was determined to find out who and why. He wasn't concerned that Genevieve would get away from him* because even if she did leave town* she would be easy to track in the moonlight.
His patience was quickly rewarded. Three of the homeliest and meanest-looking men he'd ever laid eyes on came strutting past. Two of them were big and bulky* and it soon became apparent that they took their orders from the shorter* heavier man dressed like a statesman at a funeral who trailed behind them.
Adam guessed the thugs were in the dandy's employ. When the man stopped at the entrance of the alley to strike a match to a cigar* the other two also stopped to wait for him.
"Do you want me to chase her down for you* Reverend?" the tallest of the three asked.
"No need to rush*" the reverend answered in an accent that was as thick as southern maple syrup.
"The bitch won't be getting away from me this time*" he crooned. "I've got her now* praise the Lord. I told you* Herman* that God would show me the way. Didn't I?"
"Yes* Reverend* you told me*" Herman agreed.
He moved into the moonlight* and Adam got a good look at Herman's face. His forehead bulged out over his brows* his nose was crooked* no doubt from being broken a time or two* and there were scars on his cheeks that Adam thought were the result of a few knife fights. He looked exactly like what he was* a thug* and so did his companion.
"What do you want Lewis and me to do if she refuses to go back with you?" Herman asked.
Before the reverend could answer the question* Lewis stepped forward. "Will you want us to hurt her?" he asked eagerly.
"I expect so*" the reverend crooned.
He motioned for his two companions to get out of his way and then walked into the street. "Come along* boys. God helps those who help themselves."
Adam had heard enough. He quietly followed the three men past the saloon and the hotel* but then he turned and took a shortcut between the buildings and shortened the distance to the livery stable by more than half.
He slipped inside without making a sound and bolted the doors behind him. He heard Genevieve before he saw her. She was whimpering low in her throat as she tried to swing the saddle up on her mare.
"Going somewhere?" he drawled out.
She jumped a foot and let out a loud yelp. She whirled around and found him standing right behind her inside the stall.
She felt as if her heart were going to explode. "You scared me."
"You were already scared."
He gently pushed her out of his way and took over the task of saddling her mare. He worked quickly and quietly. She picked up her bedroll and cradled it in her arms while she waited for him to demand an explanation.
He didn't say a word. He turned to her when he was finished* saw the bedroll* and suggested she leave it behind.
"Good God* no*" she cried out.
He didn't have time to get into an argument with her. "Then tie it up behind the saddle."
He went into the adjacent stall and quickly saddled his stallion. She followed him and stood by his side* with her bedroll still in her arms.
"You can't go with me*" she told him in no uncertain terms.
"Sure I can*" he replied. There was a hard edge in his voice* indicating to her that he planned to be stubborn about it.
"Please listen to me. You can't go with me now. You could get hurt."
"What about you?"
"I don't want you to come with me."
"Too bad."
"Adam* please. I'm begging you. Walk away now."
"No*" he snapped. "We're staying together. I'm kind of anxious to get going. I just can't wait to get you alone for a few minutes so you can tell me again how you don't have any problems at all. Isn't that what you told me* Genevieve?"
She bowed her head. "I know you're angry with me."
"No* I'm not angry*" he replied. "I've gone way past anger."
She started to say something more to him* but he put his hand up in a signal to be silent. Someone was pushing hard on the outer doors. Genevieve was turning toward the sound when Adam reached out and grabbed her. He wasn't gentle as he shoved her behind him and pushed her into the corner of the stall. He grabbed his rifle* cocked it* and then waited.
The doors crashed open* and Herman came running into the stable. Lewis was right behind him. The two men spread out to the opposite sides of the barn and squinted into the shadows.
Ezekiel Jones sauntered inside.
"My* my* it's dark in here. Where are you hiding* girl? I know you're in here. Maybe I ought to light the lantern and have a little look-see. I always liked to play hide-and-seek when I was a lad."
Adam could feel Genevieve trembling. She was also trying to get around him* but he made it impossible by squeezing her further into the corner. He was determined to protect her* even if she didn't want him to* and when she begged him in a whisper to save himself* he shook his head. He didn't dare turn to her* for it was imperative that he keep track of Ezekiel's two companions* who were slowly and methodically checking each stall as they made their way down the aisle.
They were getting closer. Ezekiel waited near the door. "Come out* come out* wherever you are*" he called out in a singsong voice.
"Are you scared* girl? You ought to be scared. No one crosses Ezekiel Jones without suffering God's wrath."
"We need some light in here*" Lewis called.
Ezekiel struck a match. The sizzling powder sounded like an explosion in the sudden silence. He lit a lantern and left it swaying back and forth on its hook* and then turned and shut the barn doors behind him.
"I wouldn't want any company coming inside to bother us*" he drawled out. "And I wouldn't want you to get past me again* Miss Genevieve. There aren't any windows here to climb out* are there?"
Herman had steadily crept forward into the stall next to them and suddenly popped up. He was eye to eye with Genevieve. She didn't have time to shout a warning* but one wasn't necessary. Adam saw him at the same instant she did. He proved to be much quicker than the other man too. He used the butt of his rifle and struck him hard on the side of his head. Herman looked stupefied* and then his eyes rolled back into his head and he dropped down hard to the floor.
The noise brought Lewis running. He stopped short as soon as he saw the rifle pointed at him.
Ezekiel took his time strolling down the aisle to stand beside his hired gunman. His expression hardened when he spotted Adam* but just as quickly as his scowl appeared* it was replaced by a smile.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع
أنْت يـَـــا اللَّـه 【 تَكْفِينِي 】ツ

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 04-03-11, 01:19 AM   #22

Dalyia

إدارية ومشرفة سابقة وكاتبة بمكتبة روايتي وعضوة بفريق التصميم والترجمة و الافلام والسينما ومعطاء التسالي ونجمة الحصريات الفنية ومميز بالقسم الطبى

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
?  نُقآطِيْ » Dalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond repute
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

"Who are you* mister?"
"No one you need to know*" Adam answered.
"I've got business with the woman you've got behind your back* but I don't have any quarrel with you. If you'll hand her over to me* you can leave* and no harm will come to you."
"I'm not going anywhere* and you're not getting near her."
"I'll make it worth your while."
"No."
There was pure hatred in Ezekiel's gaze as he stared at Adam. His voice lost its gentlemanly tone when he next spoke. "You're harboring a criminal and a sinner. She pulled you into her web of deceit* didn't she?"
Genevieve edged her way to Adam's side. "You're the criminal* not me*" she cried out.
He pointed a finger at her. "Jezebel*" he shouted.
"Just who the hell are you?" Adam demanded. "And what do you want with Genevieve?"
Ezekiel puffed up like a rooster. He held the lapel of his jacket with one hand and stood poised as though he were having his portrait done.
"I am the Reverend Ezekiel Jones*" he announced importantly. "And she has something that belongs to me."
"I don't have anything that belongs to you."
"God will smite you for lying* girl."
"How dare you call yourself a preacher. You're nothing but a petty thief."
"My dear* there isn't anything remotely petty about me."
He looked at Adam again* feigned an expression of remorse* and said* "Like the sainted Paul* I too was a sinner before I was shown the light. I want my money back*" he added in a snarl.
"I don't have your money*" she cried out.
Lewis took a step forward. Adam fired into the ground in front of him. Dust flew up into his face* and he jumped back and very nearly knocked Ezekiel off his feet.
The reverend shoved him aside. "She took over four thousand dollars from me."
"No*" she insisted. "I didn't take any of your money."
"She's lying*" Ezekiel roared.
"Adam* you believe me* don't you?"
"You heard the lady. If she says she didn't take it* then she didn't. Now get out of here before I lose my patience and put a bullet in your pompous backside."
Ezekiel stood his ground. "Can't you see how she's blinded you to the truth? She's a jezebel* I tell you* and she'll take you to hell with her if you don't listen to me."
"Why don't we bring in the law and let the sheriff decide who's telling the truth*" Adam suggested.
"No*" Ezekiel blurted out. "There isn't any need to involve the law."
"Is that so?" Adam said.
"My checkered past still haunts me*" Ezekiel confessed. He was trying hard to look contrite and failing miserably. "Otherwise* I'd run to get the sheriff. As God is my witness* I would."
"Get out of here*" Adam ordered.
Ezekiel turned away. "This isn't over*" he hissed.
Lewis tried to go to his friend* who was still unconscious on the floor in the next stall* but Adam wouldn't let him.
"Leave him be and get out*" he ordered.
Ezekiel opened the barn door. "I'll get you* girl*" he bellowed. "I know where you're headed* and I'm telling you now* you're never going to get there. Judgment Day is at hand."
And then he disappeared into the darkness. Lewis chased after him*
Genevieve fell back against the wall in exhaustion and relief.
Adam wouldn't let her relax. "We have to get out of here before they figure out how easy it would be to ambush us. Hurry* Genevieve. Ah* hell* now what are you doing?"
She had thrown herself into his arms and burst into tears. "Thank you for believing me."
He allowed himself a moment to hold her. He squeezed her tight* bent down* and kissed her forehead. Then he pulled away.
"Let's go* sweetheart."
She wiped the tears away from her face with the back of her hands and stood there smiling up at him with a dazed look in her eyes.
"Now what?" he asked gruffly.
"You called me sweetheart."
"Yes* I did*" he said. "Now move it."
He tried to lift her up into the saddle. She backed away. "My bedroll*" she explained.
She turned around and picked it up from the corner of the stall where she'd dropped it* but Adam was quicker. He grabbed one end and swung the bedroll up behind the saddle.
Then he froze and watched in disbelief as a hundred-dollar bill slowly floated down from the bedroll to the floor. It landed between his feet.
He stared at it for several seconds and then bent down to pick it up. He didn't say a word to her* and his expression showed only mild curiosity as he turned to look at the bedroll again. Before she realized what he was going to do* he untied the rope holding the bedroll secure and then flipped it open in front of him.
Hundreds of bills poured down like rain on his feet until he was standing in a pyramid of money. He was pretty certain he knew how much was there* but he decided to find out the exact amount anyway.
His gaze slowly moved to hers. "Four thousand?" he asked quietly.
She shook her head. "Close to five*" she said. "Four thousand seven hundred and three dollars* to be exact."
"Ezekiel's money* I assume." His voice blazed with anger.
He was so furious with her he could barely speak* yet he couldn't help but notice she didn't look the least bit guilty or contrite. She didn't appear to be at all worried either.
"Care to explain* Genevieve?"
She folded her arms across her waist. "I didn't steal Ezekiel's money."
He glanced down at the pile and back up at her. The evidence was damning.
"Adam?"
"What?"
"You will believe me."

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 04-03-11, 01:20 AM   #23

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

Chapter Ten
Contents - Prev | Next
From the moment he'd met her* she'd done nothing but lie—or so it seemed—and there was absolutely no reason to believe she was telling the truth now. And yet he did believe her. He was either the most gullible man in the world or just plumb crazy. Regardless* he trusted her.
She wasn't a thief. Therefore* there had to be a logical explanation for why she just happened to have all that money with her* and just as soon as possible* he was going to sit her down and demand that she tell him everything.
He didn't speak to her again until they made camp about twelve miles south of Gramby. He asked her to get a fire started while he backtracked to find out if they were being followed. By the time he returned to the campsite* she had the bedrolls laid out and a pot of coffee brewing over the flames.
She waited until after he had taken care of the horses and had eaten his supper to bring up the topic she was sure would give him indigestion.
"I don't think it's a good idea to keep the money in my satchel* because that's the first place Ezekiel will look for it."
"Hopefully he won't get close enough to look."
He glanced around the campsite. He remembered dropping the satchel next to the bedrolls* but it wasn't there now.
"What'd you do with the money?"
She pointed to a jagged boulder about twenty feet away from where she was seated. "I hid the satchel behind that rock under some bushes."
He dropped down beside her and added some twigs to the fire. She offered him an apple* and when he shook his head* she put it back in her lap.
"Could you tell if Ezekiel was following us or not?"
"No*" he replied. "The clouds were already moving in. If he is* he's going to have a hell of a time seeing our tracks."
"Won't he see the smoke from our fire?"
"With all this mist? No* he won't see it."
"Why is it so damp here?"
"We're close to Juniper Falls*" he replied. "Genevieve* what could you have been thinking* carrying all that money? My God* you left it in the stable with the horses."
"No one ever steals an old bedroll*" she said. "It was safer there than in the saloon."
He was trying to keep his temper under control. "I think you'd better start explaining. If you didn't steal the money from Ezekiel* then where did you get it?"
"Oh* I stole the money from him all right."
His mouth dropped open. "You what?"
She put her hand on his knee in an attempt to calm him. "Don't get mad until you've heard everything. I did take the money from Ezekiel* but it never belonged to him. I guess you could say I stole from a thief. Yes* that's exactly what I did*" she added with a nod.
"Start at the beginning and try to make sense."
"I just hate it when you snap orders at me like that."
"Start talking* Genevieve."
His impatience irritated her. She put the apple back in the burlap sack and folded her hands in her lap.
"I was duped* just like everyone else. I remember telling you that I attended the same church your mother had joined and that I sang in the choir*" she said. "Once a year* on Palm Sunday* an assembly of preachers would join the congregation and one would be chosen by our preacher to give the sermon. On one such occasion* the Reverend Thomas Kerriman spoke. He was begging for our help and told us that he was going to lead a large group of families to Kansas to join a settlement there. The families were in a hard way* Adam. They didn't have money or clothes or food* but what they did have was a will to start over again and build a new life. Reverend Kerriman was their Moses."
"And was he like Ezekiel Jones?"
"Oh* no* he's the complete opposite. I knew Thomas before he became a preacher. We grew up together in the same parish* and I know for a fact that he's a good and decent man. He would never dupe anyone."
"So what happened?"
"Ezekiel was also in the congregation that day. He stepped forward and promised Kerriman that he had a sure way to help him. He pointed to the choir and said that if the members agreed* he would take us from town to town to sing* and all the donations would go to Kerriman's cause. He singled me out and said that my voice alone would guarantee large donations." She sounded ashamed.
"You have a beautiful voice* Genevieve*" Adam remarked.
"Thank you*" she replied. "My father used to tell me that God gives each one of us a special talent and it's up to us to decide if we will use that talent for good or evil. I didn't understand at the time what he meant. I do now."
"Because of Ezekiel?"
"No* because of me. I let him turn my head with all his compliments. I liked being singled out* Adam* and I started dreaming about fame and fortune. He easily drew me into his scheme. I was very full of myself back then* and Ezekiel fed my pride. I'm very ashamed of the person I became. I acted like a spoiled child*" she added. "Fame went to my head* and before long the only friend I had left in the choir was Lottie."
"The woman who sent you the wire."
"Yes*" she replied.
"So you went from town to town singing and collecting money."
"Yes*" she said. "Ezekiel became more and more demanding. I was never allowed to go anywhere by myself or with my friend. He hired men to watch over me…"
"Lewis and Herman?"
She nodded. "Ezekiel told me they were there to protect me* but I was more afraid of them than the men they were protecting me from. I still stubbornly clung to my dream of being famous* and then something happened and I saw how shallow and empty my life was becoming."
"What happened?"
"My mother died and I didn't even know about it until two weeks after her funeral. We were singing in Birmingham* and one of her friends come all that way to tell me. I found out later that she had sent a wire to Ezekiel when my mother became ill* but he hid it from me. I will never forgive myself or him."
"If you didn't know—"
"I should have known*" she whispered. "I should have gone home more often to see her* but I was so caught up in my own dreams I forgot what was the most important thing of all."
"Family."
"Yes* family."
"Would Ezekiel have let you leave?"
"No* but I could have found a way."
He put his arm around her shoulders and pulled her into his side. "What about your father?"
"He died a year before my mother."
He let out a sigh. "I understand why you want to go to Paris. Your grandfather's the only family left* isn't he?"
"I didn't exactly tell you the truth about my grandfather. He is in Paris…"
"But?"
"He died a long time ago. I'm going there to pay my respects."
"Why did you let me think he was alive?"
She glanced over at him. "If you had thought I was all alone in the world* you would have felt sorry for me* and I didn't want that to happen."
The tenderness in his eyes made her want to curl up in his lap and cling to him. She turned away* resisting the lure* and said* "Lots of people are alone* so stop looking at me like that. Now* do you want to hear the rest of this or not?"
"Yes* I want to hear the rest of it."
He was gently rubbing her arm. She never wanted him to stop* and as soon as that thought came into her mind* she pushed his hand away.
"When I heard my mother had died* I wanted to go home* and that's when Ezekiel started locking me in my room. I heard him tell Lewis I was his meal ticket. It was a horrible time. The shock of losing my mother put everything in perspective. I knew I was chasing a fool's dream and didn't want fame or fortune. I kept thinking about my father and what he'd told me. I
could use my talent for good or bad. The choice was up to me. I made up my mind that I would only sing for money when it was absolutely necessary."
"You sang for money in the saloon."
"Yes* but I did so out of necessity* not vanity* and I only sang hymns. We needed money for food and shelter."
"You have almost five thousand dollars*" he reminded her.
"But that isn't my money. It belongs to Reverend Kerriman and his families."
He nodded to let her know he understood. "Tell me how you managed to get the money away from Ezekiel."
"One afternoon when we were in New Orleans I was sitting in the garden of a lovely old church and I happened to see Thomas in the courtyard. He was talking to Ezekiel* and I could see how upset he was. Ezekiel wasn't upset though. He was laughing and mocking Thomas."
"Where was your guard?"
"Lewis was assigned to me that day. I let him lock me in my room* and then I snuck out."
"Through the window."
"Yes* I went out through the window and ran back to the courtyard. I heard Ezekiel boast that he had collected over four thousand dollars and that he wasn't going to give Thomas one cent."
"And what did Thomas do?"
"He threatened to go to the authorities* and Ezekiel went into a rage. He told him he'd kill him if he said a word to anyone. Thomas didn't believe him at first* but Ezekiel told him he'd killed before and he could kill again.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 04-03-11, 01:21 AM   #24

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

"Lewis and Herman started beating Thomas. He fell to the ground* and then Ezekiel kicked him over and over again. I was so terrified for him I couldn't even scream. I ran toward him to make them stop pounding him* but some other people got there first. Lewis and Herman ran. Ezekiel didn't run though. As arrogant as ever* he turned around and strolled back to the church."
"And that's when you decided to steal the money from him* isn't it?"
"Yes. I went to his room and found it right away under his mattress. The stupid man slept on it every night. I put it in a satchel* and then I left."
"To go to Rosehill?"
She shook her head. "Thomas was taken to the hospital* and I hid in New Orleans and waited for him to recover so I could give him the money. I didn't dare go and visit him because I was afraid of being spotted by Ezekiel's men* and when I finally got up enough courage to sneak in during the night* I found out he'd already left for Kansas."
"And that's where you're headed now* isn't it?"
"Yes*" she answered. "When I left New Orleans* I was going to go directly to the settlement in Kansas* but then I started worrying about Ezekiel. He knew I had seen what he and his men had done to Thomas* and he had to have figured out why I took the money. I was afraid he would follow me* and I didn't like the idea of being ambushed along the way."
"So you came to Rosehill."
"I thought the ranch was a perfect place to hide for a little while* and I was so sure Ezekiel wouldn't follow me there."
"I wish to God you had told me all of this when we were in the library together."
"I didn't want you to get involved. It was my problem* and I had to take care of it. If I had confided in you* you would have insisted on taking the money to Thomas for me* which would have put you in danger. Isn't that so?"
"Yes*" he agreed.
"I don't want anyone else to give Thomas the money. It's important to me that he know I wasn't involved in Ezekiel's scheme."
"I'm sure he already knows that."
"I also want to tell him how sorry I am* but I have to be realistic. Ezekiel isn't going to give up* is he?"
"No* he isn't*" he said. "Five thousand dollars is worth his trouble."
"Will you promise me something?" She pushed his arm away and turned to face him. "If anything happens to me* or if we should get separated* will you take the money to Thomas?"
"I'm not going to let anything happen to you."
"Adam* the money's important to those people. It will buy food and clothes and peace of mind. Promise me*" she demanded.
"I promise."
She bowed her head. "I can't imagine what you must think of me. I was so naive and stupid and vain and…"
He stopped her from berating herself by tilting her chin up and kissing her. His mouth brushed over hers in a gentle* undemanding caress.
"You're good-hearted*" he whispered gruffly.
She pulled back. "I can't let you think that. I'm not good-hearted. If I hadn't been so full of myself* I would have seen through Ezekiel right away. I acted like a fool* but I've learned my lesson. Now do you understand why I've become so cynical?"
Because she was being so earnest* he didn't dare laugh. He couldn't contain his smile though. "I understand you might want to be cynical* but* sweetheart* you haven't quite mastered it yet. There isn't anything cynical about you. You're one of the most trusting souls I've ever met. You have a beautiful heart* Genevieve."
"You did it again*" she whispered.
He was slowly pulling her onto his lap. She didn't resist and* in fact* put her arms around his neck.
She stared into his eyes and thought that he was the most amazingly perfect man in the whole world. How would she ever have the strength to leave him?
"What did I do?" he asked.
"You called me sweetheart*" she told him in a breathless whisper. "You mustn't do that anymore."
"Why not?"
"Because I like it*" she stammered. "And now you're going to kiss me again* aren't you? And you really shouldn't. When the time comes for us to go our separate ways* it's going to be very difficult for me* and if you keep kissing me* I'll end up miserable. I have to go to Paris* and you have to go back home. We should just be friends* shouldn't we? But* Adam* I think I really want you to kiss me now. Just one* last kiss* and then we…"
"Shake hands?" he suggested dryly.
"Yes* or you could give me a peck on the cheek* the way friends do."
She wanted friendship and nothing more? Didn't she understand they had gone way past that stage? Maybe it was his fault* he decided. He hadn't told her how he felt about her. He hadn't allowed himself to think about it* much less discuss it. He knew he cared for her* but as he did with everything else* he wanted to think about all the ramifications before he told her.
His voice was deceptively mild when he said* "I think you need to get something straight in your head. I don't kiss my friends* I don't peck my friends* and I sure as certain don't call my friends sweetheart."
"We can't become involved."
She really was an exasperating woman. "We are involved."
She looked miserable. "We're all wrong for each other. You do realize that* don't you? You want peace and quiet. I'm a troublemaker."
"No* you're not. You're aggravating and as stubborn as can be* but you aren't a troublemaker* and I'm definitely not your friend."
She was slowly pulling back from him. He wasn't about to let her get away. He jerked her hard against his chest* ignoring her startled cry of surprise. His hand cupped the back of her head* and as he was moving toward her* he whispered* "I never had a chance* did I?"
She didn't understand what he meant* and he was too busy kissing her to explain.
His mouth was warm and firm against hers. It wasn't a friendly kiss. He made sure of that. He coaxed her mouth open* and his tongue swept inside to mate with hers. She began to respond* timidly at first and then with growing passion. He melted away her inhibitions in a matter of heartbeats* and* Lord* she tasted as sweet and fresh as he remembered. He couldn't get enough of her. Passion flowed between them as his mouth slanted over hers again and again* and when at last he forced himself to pull back* he couldn't seem to draw a proper breath. Her own shortness of breath was music to his ears.
The hell he was her friend.
"Now do you want to shake my hand?" he asked* driving his point home.
His sarcasm was lost on her. She was blissfully content snuggled up against him. Her head rested in the crook of his neck and her eyes closed in sweet surrender to the moment.
He held her for a long while in his arms. His hands tenderly caressed her back* and all he wanted to think about was her soft body. Unfortunately* thoughts of Ezekiel Jones kept intruding.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 04-03-11, 01:21 AM   #25

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

"What are you thinking about?"
"Ezekiel Jones*" he said.
"I knew it had to be something unpleasant. You're squeezing the breath out of me* and your muscles have become rigid."
He forced himself to relax and loosened his grip on her. "Is that better?"
"Yes*" she answered. "I should probably get off your lap* but I don't want to move*" she admitted. "I was also thinking about Ezekiel. Do you think he was telling the truth when he said he had gotten away with murder? Or was he just trying to scare us?"
"I think he was telling the truth* and I'd sure be interested in finding out the particulars. You told me Ezekiel changed his name. Do you know what his real name is?"
"Henry Stevens*" she answered. "I heard Lewis call him by his full name once. Ezekiel became furious and threatened dire consequences if he ever called him by his real name again. The stupid man was yelling so loud most of the choir heard him."
Adam filed the information away. Henry Stevens. He wouldn't forget the name again. Had Ezekiel changed his name because he was a wanted man* or had the crime gone unreported? Adam decided to find out as soon as possible.
"When we get to Salt Lake City* I think I'd like to pay a visit to the marshal's office."
"I doubt anyone's there. Don't you remember Mr. Steeple told us that three U.S. marshals were in Middleton* investigating the bank robbery?"
The plan came to him all of a sudden* and he found himself smiling in anticipation. His idea was perfect* and if it worked* it would be well worth the risk. Ezekiel would get what was coming to him* and Adam wouldn't have to kill him. There were a lot of ifs involved. If he could find a safe place for Genevieve* and if he could trick Ezekiel into following him to
Middleton* and if the marshals were indeed there* then Adam would lead the bastard right into their hands.
"I think we should split up*" she said.
She'd spoken his thought aloud. "Is that so?" he asked.
"Yes*" she said. "One of us should lead Ezekiel north* while the other takes the money to Kansas."
He shook his head. "The money should go in a bank until I've dealt with Ezekiel and his friends."
"Are you crazy? There are bank robbers roaming these hills. They'll steal it. My plan makes sense."
"I've got a better plan. We'll find a safe place for you* and I'll take care of Ezekiel."
"It's out of the question. This is my problem and I have to solve it."
"No* it's our problem* but I'm going to solve it. "You aren't going with me. I would be worried about you the entire time* and I wouldn't be able to concentrate on what I needed to do."
"Such as?"
"Putting an end to Ezekiel's terror tactics."
"It's very sweet of you to be worried about me* but* Adam* I won't be left out. Do you expect me to sit quietly in a parlor somewhere while you put yourself in such danger? I won't hear of it."
He smiled. "I wasn't thinking of putting you in a parlor. I have another place in mind where I can be absolutely certain Ezekiel won't go near you or the money."
"There isn't any such place."
He kissed her again just to get her to stop arguing with him. "Trust me* Genevieve. I've thought of the perfect place."

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 04-03-11, 01:22 AM   #26

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

Chapter Eleven
Contents - Prev | Next
He put her in jail. Even though she had to admit it was a perfect place to keep the money safe* she still wasn't happy about Adam's choice* because she knew he expected her to stay inside while he went gallivanting after Ezekiel and his men. If she had had a few minutes alone with him* she would have let him know just how unhappy she was* but the jail was crowded with lawmen* and she wasn't about to criticize Adam in front of strangers. She. did glare at him though when he suggested she might be more comfortable inside one of the empty cells.
She sat down in a chair next to Sheriff Norton's desk* put her satchel on her lap* and folded her hands on top. Adam stood behind her. After removing a stack of papers from his chair* the sheriff sat down and tilted back against the wall. He was an older man with a big belly and melancholy eyes. His face reminded Genevieve of a hound dog's. His jowls extended past his chin* and when he smiled—which seemed to be most of the time—the folds of extra skin on either side of his face wrinkled up to his ears. He was very kind to her and Adam* and she liked him immensely. His voice radiated fatherly concern when he asked how he could be of help* and he listened patiently without interrupting once while Adam explained why they were there.
Two U.S. marshals leaned against the wall and listened. The men were so similar in appearance and attitude they could have been brothers. They were about the same height* nearly six feet* and had the same worn and world-weary expressions. The more muscular one was named Davidson* and the other was called Morgan.
Their presence should have been a comfort* but they made her nervous instead. Their gazes seemed to bore right through her. There was an air of danger about them as well. She couldn't even begin to imagine the horrors they must have seen that would have turned them into such frightening men. Her mind conjured up one horrible possibility after another* and before long she was fighting the urge to jump up and leave.
She really wished they would stop staring at her. She kept expecting one of them to pounce on her* and she glanced over at them every other minute just to make sure they hadn't moved.
Adam must have sensed her unease because he put his hand on her shoulder and gave it a little squeeze.
After he had finished explaining their circumstances to the sheriff* including details she wished he hadn't mentioned* Marshal Davidson suggested that Genevieve look through the posters of wanted men to see if Ezekiel was one of them.
The sheriff pointed to a knee-high stack of papers on the floor in the corner behind him. "There they are* but I'll wager you it will take you the rest of the day to sort through them."
"Adam* are you certain Jones and his friends are following you?" Morgan asked the question but watched Genevieve all the while.
"Yes* I made sure they could easily follow my tracks to Middleton."
Davidson took a step toward her. She visibly jumped and then became angry.
"Gentlemen* what are you staring at?" she demanded.
The marshals glanced at one another before turning back to her. Davidson raised an eyebrow and looked a little sheepish* but Morgan maintained his glacial expression. She didn't think the man had blinked in the past five minutes.
"I was looking at you* ma'am*" Davidson said.
"I wish you wouldn't*" she said. "I swear to heaven you make me want to confess to a crime just to get you to stop."
"Did you have a particular crime in mind?" Morgan asked. A hint of a smile crinkled the corners of his eyes.
The marshal became human to her. She began to relax. "No*" she answered. "I would have to make one up. Do you know how intimidating you are? Yes* of course you do. That's how you interrogate criminals* isn't it?"
"Genevieve* what are you talking about?" Adam asked.
"You wouldn't understand even if I tried to explain. You do the very same thing."
Davidson burst into laughter. "Ma'am* did you really impersonate Ruby Leigh…?"
"Diamond*" Morgan supplied with a grin.
"You sure don't look like the kind of woman who would go by such a name*" Davidson remarked.
She frowned at the marshal. "How exactly do I look?"
"Refined*" Davidson answered. "You're a lady* and I'm having trouble picturing you up on a stage in a saloon."
"I didn't impersonate anyone* at least not on purpose. Mr. Steeple tricked me. Adam* you really didn't need to tell the marshals I sang in a saloon."
He squeezed her shoulder again. Davidson came to his defense. "He was telling us how he first spotted Ezekiel* so he had to mention the saloon."
"I assure you I'm not in the habit of entertaining drunken men* and I only sang church songs."
"Did you really make all of those men cry?" Morgan asked.
"Not on purpose."
Her answer made them laugh again. Her embarrassment intensified. She waited until the noise died down before suggesting in a righteous stammer that they tell her what they were going to do about Ezekiel and his friends.
Norton reached over to pat her hand. "Don't you be worrying about it* little lady."
His condescending tone of voice didn't sit well with her. "Sheriff* Ezekiel Jones is coming after me. I have to be worried about him* and I also have to be worried about Adam. He's determined to go after all three of those horrible men. Please stop squeezing my shoulder*" she added with a quick glance up at Adam. "I don't want you to get hurt"
"My mind's made up*" he told her in no uncertain terms.
She turned back to the marshals. "Well?" she demanded.
"Well* what?" Davidson asked.
"I'm waiting for one of you to tell Adam he can't take the law into his own hands."
Morgan shrugged. His response wasn't what she was hoping for. Neither was his reply. "He seems real determined* ma'am* and I don't think anything I say will change his mind. I don't blame him for wanting to go after Jones. If the woman I loved were being threatened* I sure as certain would put a stop to it."
She didn't know if she should correct the marshal's assumption or not. Adam didn't love her; he was simply being compassionate by helping her. That was all.
"If Ezekiel's wanted for murder or any other crime* I'd be real interested in talking to him*" Morgan continued.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 04-03-11, 01:23 AM   #27

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

The marshal's casual attitude drove her to distraction. "I don't want you to talk to him. I want you to lock him up. If the murder he committed wasn't reported* then I shall press charges against him."
"On what grounds?" the sheriff asked.
"The man locked me in my room."
"Begging your pardon* but it's your word against his* and I don't think he's gonna admit locking you up*" the sheriff told her.
"The sooner you go through the posters* the better*" Davidson suggested.
"Yes* of course* but in the meanwhile* I want you to arrest Ezekiel and his two friends. I'll be happy to give you their descriptions."
"Now we're right back where we started*" the sheriff complained. "As I was telling you before* you just got to have grounds to make an arrest."
"Such as?" she asked.
The sheriff pondered the question a long minute before answering. "If one of them happens to take a shot at you* well then* we could nab him for attempted murder."
Davidson grinned. "I know it's frustrating* ma'am* but the law's the law. Maybe we could talk to him and scare him into leaving you alone."
"We ought to ask Ryan to have a word with Ezekiel*" Morgan told his friend.
"Adam* what do you think?" Genevieve asked.
She turned to look up at him and only then discovered he was gone. "When did he leave?"
She was on her feet and turning toward the door before the sheriff could answer her.
"He took off a few minutes ago*" he said. "Sit back down* ma'am. You got to start looking through the posters. These here are the latest ones* but if you think Jones might have committed a crime a while back* then I got to take you into the storeroom. I keep every poster I receive. Some go back as far as ten years."
"While you're looking through them* Morgan and I will stop by the telegraph office and send a couple of wires asking for information. Adam gave us a good description* and we should hear something back real soon. In the meantime* you're in good hands*" Davidson said.
"Are you boys headed back up the mountain?"
Morgan nodded. "Ryan's going to stick close to the doctor's house as long as there's a chance our witness will make it. If you run into any trouble* he'll lend a hand."
Genevieve watched the marshals leave and then turned to the sheriff and asked* "Mr. Steeple told me there were three marshals in Middleton. Ryan's the third one* isn't he?"
"Yes* ma'am. Morgan and Davidson are taking orders from him* and I heard Morgan say Ryan was senior man in charge. He's also the youngest."
"Is Ryan's first name Daniel by any chance?"
"It sure is*" he replied. "I don't expect I'll ever be calling him anything but marshal or sir. He ain't the type to get friendly with. Fact is* he scares just about everybody in town* and I imagine that's why Morgan suggested Ryan be the one to talk to Ezekiel Jones or Henry Stevens or whatever in tarnation his name is."
"What did Morgan mean when he said that Marshal Ryan was staying dose to the doctor's house?"
"He's over at Doc Garrison's house* waiting to see if poor old Luke MacFarland is gonna up and die on him. He's the only witness we got to the terrible trouble we had here the day before yesterday. What started out as a plain old bank robbery turned into a massacre. Luke was outside and saw what happened through the bank window. Before he passed out on us* he told Ryan and me he could identify the leader.
"The folks working at the bank handed the money over as meek as could be and then put their hands up to let the robbers know they weren't gonna be heroic and go for their guns. There weren't no call to shoot them down* no call at all* but that's what the robbers did. Frank Holden* the president of the bank* had six bullets in his head. There was blood splattered all the way up to the ceiling. It was a cold* vicious act* and five good men I called friends died like dogs."
Genevieve was sickened by the story. "Those poor souls*" she whispered. "If they didn't put up a fight* why were they killed?"
"They would have been witnesses* that's why. Luke and Nichols were watching all of it. Both of them got shot. Luke took a bullet in his gut* and that means he don't have much hope of lasting* which is a crying shame for his family. He's got a wife and four boys to feed* and if he dies* I don't know what will happen to them."
"What about the other witness?" she asked.
"Nichols took a bullet through his heart. Doc said he probably died standing up."
"I hope the marshals catch the men and lock them up for the rest of their lives."
"I'd ruther they strung them up*" Norton said. "You can understand now* can't you* why Davidson and Morgan are letting Adam take care of Ezekiel? They got their hands full trailing the gang. None of the marshals have had much sleep lately."
"Do you think they'll find the gang?"
"Maybe* and maybe not. There's over a hundred caves in these mountains* and they could be hiding out in any one of them. Eventually they'll get caught because they're bound to make a mistake. The five of them have been on a killing spree for over a year now. The man in charge is a clever devil to be able to elude Ryan for so long. The bastard always makes sure there ain't no witnesses* just in case he gets caught."
The sheriff stood up and stretched his arms wide. "If you don't mind being alone* I'd like to go over to the doc's house and see how Luke's doing."
"I don't mind*" she replied. "But if you happen to run into Adam* will you please tell him I'd like him to help me go through the posters?"
"I doubt I'll see him anytime soon*" the sheriff responded. "We both know he went looking for those fellas. Why* he's probably waiting by the hill outside of town. That's what I'd do if I wanted to nab someone coming from Gramby. The only way into Middleton is over that hill beyond the stable. I got a feeling he'll come back empty-handed by nightfall* 'cause if you heard there were three marshals here* this Jones fella probably heard the same thing."
Genevieve shook her head. "I don't think Ezekiel was in town long enough to talk to anyone. At least that's what Adam hopes. Sheriff* I'm worried about him. Ezekiel is terribly bold* and the two men riding with him wouldn't think twice about shooting a man in the back."
"I don't want you sitting in here fretting*" the sheriff told her. "Maybe I will mosey on up the hill and have a look around for Adam. He probably don't need my help though. From the looks of him* I'd say he could hold his own in any fight* even against three."
He showed her where the storeroom was located and then left her alone. At first sight* she thought the task was hopeless* for there were papers stacked everywhere. They lined the shelves to the ceiling* and more were on the floor. The dust made her sneeze* and some of the old posters crumbled when she touched them.
It wasn't as chaotic as she'd first thought though. The sheriff had separated the posters by the year they were received. She ignored the latest notices and* starting with the year-old fliers* worked her way back.
After three hours of searching* she was stiff from sitting on the floor* hungry* and covered with dust. When she stretched her legs out to get rid of a cramp in her calf* she knocked over a pile of posters she had yet to look through. With a sigh* she leaned forward to straighten them up* and then let out a whoop of joy. Ezekiel Jones's ugly face was staring up at her.
The drawing had done Ezekiel justice* because it captured the evil essence of the man right down to the detail of his beady* squinty eyes. He was wanted for murder and extortion* he was considered armed and dangerous—and she could certainly testify to those two facts—and there was a hundred-dollar reward for his apprehension. Several of the aliases he had used were listed at the bottom of the sheet* and in bold letters across the top was the notice that he was wanted dead or alive.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 04-03-11, 01:23 AM   #28

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

She was so excited with her discovery she could barely think what to do. Adam needed to see the poster as soon as possible. Surely then he would realize what a dangerous adversary he was up against. My God* the man really had committed murder. She had heard him boast of the heinous crime* but a part of her hadn't believed him. The poster removed all doubt. Ezekiel was a killer. Hopefully* after Adam had seen the poster* he would agree to let the authorities take over the hunt.
She grabbed her satchel and hurried to the front door and then decided it was foolish to carry Thomas's money with her. She ran back to the jail cells and locked the satchel inside one of them. She wasn't about to leave the keys behind* and so she slipped the heavy metal ring over her wrist and wore it like a bracelet. The keys jingled and jangled with each step she took down the boardwalk.
The streets and the boardwalk were crowded with people coming and going. She wasn't quite sure where Adam was* but she hoped he was waiting for Ezekiel near the base of the hills behind the livery stable. The sheriff had told them that the main road from Gramby led into Middleton from the north* and if Ezekiel was coming after them* he would probably use that route. Earlier she had hoped that Ezekiel hadn't heard that U.S. marshals had converged on Middleton* but now she prayed he had indeed heard* so that he would stay away. The thought of Adam taking on not one but three blackguards frightened her. He played by the rules. He would never shoot a man in the back. Ezekiel would.
The possibility terrified her* and before she realized what she was doing* she started running down the boardwalk toward the livery.
A shot rang out. The noise so jarred her she stumbled. She grabbed hold of a hitching post to keep from falling and dropped the poster. She scooped it up* folded it* and shoved it in her pocket as she squinted into the sunlight to see who was firing his gun. Someone shouted to her* but the words were drowned out by a hail of gunfire. The noise was explosive* the sound ricocheting from building to building. The men and women who had been strolling down the main thoroughfare ran for cover* and within seconds* the streets and boardwalk were deserted.
She was frozen with panic. She saw a man running down the center of the street toward the sound* his gun drawn. He was moving so fast into the sunlight he was almost a blur.
A yellow-haired woman poked her head out of the general store a few feet in front of Genevieve and shouted to her. "Get on inside here before you get yourself killed."
"The gang who robbed the bank came back* and now we're all gonna die*" another woman screeched from behind the first.
Genevieve turned to go inside. Then she stopped. Why would the robbers come back? They already had the money from the bank. What if it wasn't the gang…?
Adam. A chill went down her spine. Oh* God* what if Adam was in trouble? She had assumed he had gone in search of Ezekiel* but what if he had returned to town? She pictured him pinned down and surrounded by Lewis and Herman and Ezekiel* and* dear God* what if he had already been shot? She had to find out. She just needed to get close enough to see for herself that Adam wasn't involved.
She picked up her skirts and ran. The noise seemed to be coming from between two buildings on the next street. The sun was blinding her* and fear was making it hard to breathe. Panting* she raced forward as though his life depended on it. She was leaping off the boardwalk between the alley and the next building when she heard someone whisper her name. She stumbled as she turned to see who was there.
And then she screamed.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 04-03-11, 01:24 AM   #29

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

Chapter Twelve
Contents - Prev | Next
He had them right where he wanted them. Adam pressed back against the brick wall facing the street and quickly reloaded his gun. He was on the left side of the entrance to an alley that dead-ended* and he was feeling damned smug because he was certain he had all three of the bastards pinned inside.
His mood wasn't friendly. One of them had tried to ambush him behind the livery stable just as he had been dismounting* and if he hadn't thrown himself off his horse and to the ground in the nick of time* he would have taken a bullet in the back.
He wanted to get even* and though he fancied the notion of killing all of them* he knew he would have to settle for wounding one or two. It was his fervent hope that Ezekiel would become desperate enough to try to rush past him. There wasn't any other way out of the alley* and if Adam had to spend the rest of the day waiting to nab him* then that's what he would do.
He spotted a man running toward him from across the street. The stranger was wearing a badge* and
Adam assumed he was the third marshal he'd heard about. The lawman was tall* thick-shouldered* and had blond hair and blue eyes.
He seemed familiar* but Adam couldn't remember where he had seen him before. Adam nodded to him and was just turning away when he spotted a gold chain dangling from the marshal's vest pocket. What looked suspiciously like a gold compass case dangled from the end of the chain.
Recognition was immediate. "Son of a…" Adam whispered. The lawman was Daniel Ryan.
"Drop your gun*" Ryan roared.
Adam shook his head and went right on reloading.
The marshal aimed his gun at him and was repeating his command when a shot rang out. The bullet roared past Ryan's left shoulder. He dove for cover on the opposite side of the entrance* and like Adam* pressed his back against the wall.
His gaze was directed on Adam. "Who the hell are they?" he roared.
Adam quickly explained. When he was finished* Ryan asked him how many there were.
"Ezekiel was leading the way and his two hired guns were following him. When I turned the corner* I saw one of them run into the alley. I'm certain all three are there. They must have thought they could cut through* and now they're trapped. When they run out of bullets* they'll come out."
Ryan nodded. "I'll handle this. Just stay out of my way."
"No*" Adam answered. "You stay out of my way. You're Daniel Ryan* aren't you?"
"Yes. Who are you?"
"Adam Clayborne."
Ryan raised an eyebrow in surprise* and then a hint of a smile lifted the corners of his mouth. "You're Rose's son."
"Yes*" Adam agreed. "Nice compass."
"Yes* it is."
"The compass belongs to my brother Cole."
"It sure does*" Ryan agreed.
Before Adam could demand that he hand it over* Ryan shouted to the men in the alley. "Drop your weapons and put your hands up* or you're going to die."
A hail of bullets whizzed past in response. Ryan leaned in* shot twice* and then jerked back.
"How's your mother doing?" he asked in a voice as mild as the afternoon breeze.
"She's fine*" Adam replied a scant second before he moved forward* took aim* and shot. One of the men let out a loud wail of distress.
The sound made Adam smile. He pressed back against the wall and grinned. "One down* two to go."
"Stay out of this."
"No way."
"What's Cole up to these days?"
"Ranching."
"You ready to give it up?" Ryan bellowed. "This is the last time I'm gonna ask you."
"Go to hell*" one of the men shouted.
Ryan let out a sigh. "Seems like they want to die*" he drawled out.
Adam nodded. "It seems so."
"Less paperwork involved*" Ryan remarked. "So I might as well accommodate them."
"Ezekiel Jones is mine. If anyone's going to shoot him* it's going to be me."
Ryan shrugged. "Does Rose like living in Montana?"
"Yes* she does. She speaks highly of you* and she seems to think you're going to bring the compass you borrowed back to her*" he added* deliberately stressing the word "borrowed."
Ryan laughed. "I didn't borrow it. I took it."
"Give it back."
"I will when I'm ready. I've got some business to discuss with Cole* and as soon as I've finished up here* I'm coming to Rosehill."
"You'd better come armed then. You've made Cole angry enough to shoot you on sight."
Ryan smiled. "He doesn't have a problem killing* does he?"
"No* none at all."
"Good. That's what I heard. He's just the man I need."
"Need? What do you need him for? You can't possibly think he'd go to work for you."
"That's exactly what I think. I can be real persuasive."
The conversation was interrupted by gunshots from the alley. Ryan and Adam returned the fire. The sound was deafening. Both men fell back against the wall and reloaded.
"What exactly do you want Cole to do for you?"
"Kill some vermin."
Before Adam could question him further* one of Ezekiel's men shouted at them.
"We're coming out. Don't shoot."
"Drop your weapons and put your hands up*" Ryan shouted.
After giving the order* he motioned for Adam to stay where he was* and then Ryan moved back at an angle into the street.
Herman came strutting out of the alley first. He was closely followed by Lewis* who was limping. The two men had just reached the entrance when Lewis* using Herman as his shield* fired at Ryan and missed. The marshal shot the gun out of his hand a scant second before Adam slammed the butt of his gun up against the side of his head. Lewis crumpled to the ground.
In one fluid motion Herman dove for the ground and reached behind his back for his weapon. He was swinging his arm up with a gun in his hand before he hit the ground.
Ryan shot to kill. The bullet sliced through Herman's chest* propelling him backward. He died before his head struck the edge of the boardwalk.
Adam moved into the alley to search for Ezekiel. The bastard wasn't there. Muttering curses under his breath* he reholstered his gun and turned around. Ryan had moved to the center of the street and was staring at something in front of him. He looked as though he was ready for a shoot-out. His legs were braced apart* his back was rigid* and his hand hovered just above the hilt of his gun.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 04-03-11, 01:25 AM   #30

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

"Let her go*" Ryan shouted.
Adam ran forward* ignoring the signal the lawman gave him to stay where he was. Adam was about ten feet away from Ryan when he saw the two of them. Genevieve—his sweet* loving Genevieve—and Ezekiel.
The bastard had the barrel of his gun pressed against the side of her head and was slowly moving toward a covered buggy someone had hitched to the post in front of the general store.
Adam felt as though he'd just been run over by a train. His knees almost buckled* his heart seemed to drop* and he was filled with rage.
"No." The word was issued in a low* guttural moan.
Ryan was slowly edging toward Ezekiel. His attention was fully directed on him. Adam also moved closer* but his focus remained centered on Genevieve.
He knew she had to be terrified* but she was valiantly trying to hide her fear from him. Then he saw the tears in her eyes* and his rage became uncontrollable.
He wanted to kill the bastard with his bare hands.
He first had to get rid of the gun threatening
Genevieve. Ezekiel's left arm was wrapped tightly around her waist* and he was using her as his shield as he slowly pushed her forward to the side of the buggy. His right hand held the gun up against her head* and his finger was on the trigger.
"It's going to be all right*" Adam whispered so low she couldn't possibly hear him.
As if by some unspoken joint decision* both Adam and Ryan began to fan out in a V as they continued toward their prey. They were about fifteen feet away from Ezekiel when he shouted an order to stop.
"If you take another step* I'll kill her*" he screamed.
Adam could hear the panic in his voice and see the wild* frantic look in his eyes. Like a cornered rat* he was ready to strike. Adam didn't want to do anything that would provoke him into accidentally squeezing that trigger.
He'd never been so damned scared in his whole life. He hadn't told Genevieve he loved her* and* God* he needed to say the words at least a million times. He wanted to grow old with her and tell her each and every day for the rest of their lives how much she meant to him.
"Let her go* Ezekiel*" Adam pleaded.
"I'm getting out of here* and no one's going to stop me*" Ezekiel screeched. "I've got nothing to lose* and if you want her to live* you won't follow me."
"I can't let you take her with you*" Ryan shouted.
Ezekiel turned his head toward the marshal. "I'll kill her*" he yelled. "If my hand starts shaking* this gun's going to fire* and it'll be your fault. Both of you throw your weapons down and turn around."
"No." Genevieve screamed. "He'll shoot you in the back. Don't do it* Adam."
"Shut your trap*" Ezekiel hissed. "You brought this trouble on yourself. If you hadn't stolen my money…"
"It's Thomas's money* not yours. I'm taking it back to him."
"From your grave?" Ezekiel taunted. "You don't think I'll let you live* do you? You're a naive fool* Genevieve. Stop struggling*" he snapped when she tried to push his arm away.
"Let her go*" Adam implored.
The anguish she heard in his voice broke her heart. "I'm so sorry*" she whispered.
"I told you to drop your guns*" Ezekiel demanded once again.
"I can't do that*" Ryan called out.
Adam was slowly advancing to the left while Ryan angled to the right. The lawman extended his arm and aimed his gun at Ezekiel and Genevieve. Adam knew what Ryan was going to do. His blood ran cold. He looked at Ryan and saw that his blue eyes had turned as cold as frost.
"Don't do it*" he shouted.
"I can take him."
"No."
Ryan ignored him. He kept moving forward* trying to get a clear shot. He knew he'd get only one chance* and if Ezekiel's death wasn't instantaneous* Genevieve would also die.
"Stay where you are*" Ezekiel warned. His eyes darted back and forth between Adam and Ryan as he slowly pushed Genevieve closer to the buggy.
"This is your last chance*" Ryan called out. "Let her go now* or I swear to God I'll drop you where you stand."
Adam now wanted to kill Ryan. How dare he gamble with Genevieve's life? Adam didn't care that Ryan was right. He too knew Ezekiel would kill her as soon as he had the opportunity* but if Ryan's shot missed* or if Ezekiel's finger flinched* Genevieve would pay the price.
He couldn't let that happen. If keeping her safe meant that he had to die* then that was what he was going to do.
Adam started running toward the buggy* deliberately trying to draw Ezekiel's fire* and when he was about five feet away* he went for his gun.
The bastard fell for his ploy. Adam had made himself an easy target* and the temptation was too great for Ezekiel to resist. He swung his gun away from Genevieve and took aim.
Ezekiel was dead before he could squeeze the trigger. As soon as the barrel moved away from her head* Ryan fired. The bullet cut through the center of his forehead. Adam's bullet entered Ezekiel's forehead a hair's width away from Ryan's.
The force lifted Ezekiel off his feet and hurled him backward. Genevieve was thrown to one side. She screamed as she fell and then began to sob.
She had thought that Adam was about to die when he put himself in front of Ezekiel* and the terror and desolation she had felt in that terrifying moment had nearly destroyed her.
Adam gently lifted her up. She threw herself into his arms and continued to sob uncontrollably.
He held her tight and tried to get rid of his rage so that he could comfort her.
Both of them were shaking. "I thought I had lost you*" he whispered gruffly.
"It's all my fault. You should have stayed at Rosehill… I almost got you killed* and if you had died* Adam* I couldn't have gone on. I…"
"Hush* sweetheart. It's over now."
She jerked away from him. "How dare you take such a chance*" she cried out. "How dare you…"
She couldn't go on. Her sobs were heart-wrenching. He pulled her back into his arms and hugged her tight. He never wanted to let go.
"Don't cry* my love. Don't cry." He bent down and kissed the top of her head. "You were very brave."
"No* I wasn't. I was scared."
"I was scared too*" he admitted.
She looked up at him* her eyes wide. "You? Scared? I don't believe you. Nothing scares you."
He laughed. The sound was harsh to his ears. He used his thumbs to wipe the tears away from her cheeks and laughed again. "My hands are still shaking. I swear to you* Genevieve* no one is ever going to hurt you again."
She was safe. He kept telling himself that in hopes that he would get over his anger. He was still so furious with Ryan he could barely control himself.
She knew she would never be able to stop crying if she didn't move away from him* but she wanted to cling.
"I almost got you killed*" she said again. "Ezekiel was right. He told me I was a naive fool* and I was* Adam. I've been nothing but trouble to you. No man deserves such heartache."
He grabbed hold of her chin. "You didn't make me follow you*" he reminded her* and before she could argue the point* he kissed her.
She promptly burst into tears again. He was such a good man* and he was being so terribly sweet to her.
She looked down at Ezekiel and cringed inside. Adam took her hand and pulled her away. He was staring at the lawman who had helped him only minutes ago.
"Is he Daniel Ryan?" she asked.
"Yes."
"Does he still have Cole's compass?"
Adam nodded. "He told me he'll bring it to Rosehill*" he said.
"Why are you glaring at him?"
"He took a terrible risk with your life. If he had missed…"
"Don't think such thoughts. I'm thankful* and I must go to him and tell him so."
"No."
"Ezekiel told me he was going to kill me because I had caused him so much trouble."
"Ryan should have waited*" he stubbornly insisted.
The marshal heard his comment. "I knew what I was doing* Adam."
"The hell you did. You should have let me—"
Before he could continue* Ryan cut him off. "You were too emotionally involved. I wasn't."
"You're a coldhearted bastard."
Ryan stepped closer. "Damned right I am."
"You could have killed her. If Ezekiel had moved an inch or flinched* you would have gotten her."
"I waited for my shot."
"The hell with that logic."
Genevieve couldn't figure out what was happening. The two men who had worked together to save her life just moments ago were now acting as though they wanted to kill each other. It didn't make any sense. "Gentlemen* if you will please calm down and—"
"You didn't care if she lived or died. What kind of marshal are you? You're supposed to protect citizens* not shoot at them."
Adam shoved Ryan in the chest. Ryan shoved back. "I cared about her* but I don't happen to love her* and you obviously do. Understand the difference? Look at your hands. I'll bet they're still shaking."
"They're shaking all right* with the need to put my fist through your face. I swear…"
Out of the corner of his eye Adam saw Lewis* the man he'd struck unconscious* come up on his knees. He also saw the gun in his hand. At the same instant* Ryan spotted the flash of metal. Both men turned simultaneously and fired.
Adam's bullet shot the gun out of Lewis's hand. Ryan's bullet blasted a hole in his chest. Lewis swayed backward* then pitched forward to the ground.
Genevieve's hand flew to her throat. It happened so fast she didn't even have time to scream. Neither Adam nor Ryan seemed much perturbed by the interruption. They both watched Lewis for several seconds to make sure he wasn't going to move* then turned back to each other and resumed their heated debate as though nothing out of the ordinary had happened.
She took a step back from them and bumped into Sheriff Norton.
"How can they be so callous? They just killed a man." Her voice shook with emotion* and she was trembling from head to foot.
"It seems to me that man needed killing. He would have gotten one of them if they hadn't shot him* so you shouldn't be fretting about it."
"Why are they arguing?"
"Ah* it's just their way of letting off steam. I saw the whole thing from Barnes's porch. You had both of them real scared* ma'am. If that gun had gone off up against your head* it would have been a real mess."
The sheriff nudged Ezekiel's leg with the tip of his boot. "He don't look so dangerous now* does he?"
Genevieve wouldn't look at the dead man. She turned back to Adam just in time to hear him tell Ryan he should have tried to negotiate with Ezekiel.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)

أدوات الموضوع
انواع عرض الموضوع

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات