آخر 10 مشاركات
سعر حبوب #الاجهاض# #سايتوتك# (الرياض) (0563940846) الدفع عند #الاستلام# (الكاتـب : دكتور تركي - )           »          ليلة مع زوجها المنسي (166) للكاتبة : Annie West .. كاملة (الكاتـب : nagwa_ahmed5 - )           »          للحصول| حبوب سايتوتك في الرياض (0563940846) حبوب الاجهاض الاصلي للبيع في الرياض (الكاتـب : دكتور تركي - )           »          همسات حروف من ينبوع القلب الرقراق..(سجال أدبي)... (الكاتـب : فاطمة الزهراء أوقيتي - )           »          لعنتي جنون عشقك *مميزة و مكتملة* (الكاتـب : tamima nabil - )           »          أميرها الفاتن (20) للكاتبة: Julia James *كاملة+روابط* (الكاتـب : ميقات - )           »          اطلب الان| حبوب سايتوتك النهدي للبيع في الرياض 0563940846 حبوب الاجهاض المنزلي للبيع (الكاتـب : دكتور تركي - )           »          آسف مولاتي (2) *مميزة ومكتملة * .. سلسلة إلياذة العاشقين (الكاتـب : كاردينيا الغوازي - )           »          حبوب سايتوتك (الاجهاض) للبيع في #الرياض# (0563940846) للشراء؟ حبوب سايتوتك للبيع (الكاتـب : دكتور تركي - )           »          سيدتي| حبوب اجهاض |اطلبها الان| في الرياض 0563940846 حبوب سايتوتك الاصلي للبيع الرياض (الكاتـب : دكتور تركي - )

العودة   شبكة روايتي الثقافية > مكتبات روايتي > English Library > Fiction > Romance

إضافة رد

LinkBack أدوات الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
قديم 06-03-11, 10:15 AM   #21

Dalyia

إدارية ومشرفة سابقة وكاتبة بمكتبة روايتي وعضوة بفريق التصميم والترجمة و الافلام والسينما ومعطاء التسالي ونجمة الحصريات الفنية ومميز بالقسم الطبى

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
?  نُقآطِيْ » Dalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond repute
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

Chapter Six

Contents - Prev | Next

Guyton* the bailiff in charge of the entire manor* had been slain during the attack* as had Angus* the reeve* a first tenant in charge of cultivation of the lord's land. And there were others missing* unaccounted for* Elizabeth knew. New appointments had to be made* and soon* for Elizabeth could all but feel the chaos and confusion in the atmosphere.

Although her husband was in charge of all that transpired* Elizabeth knew it was also her responsibility to help in any way she could. Her mother had ruled with her father* at his side* and often remarked that it was her lot in life to ease the burden of leadership. Elizabeth could do no less.

The first thing she would do was what she had promised her husband. She searched out and found

Sara and placed her in charge of the arrangements for dinner. She felt confident that she could trust Sara to see that her orders were carried out* and when the servant had repeated each instruction back to her mistress* Elizabeth was content that all would go as planned.

"The fare will be meager by Belwain's standards* Sara. There would be sufficient quantities of shoulder of wild boar with pheasant pasties and pigeon pie* but no delicacies such as roasted peacocks or swans* nor poultry either. "Make sure that there is more than enough sweetmeats for dessert* and have the servants include cloves and ginger after that."

"We'll need plenty of ale* my lady* for the sweetmeats and the spices will make the men ravenously thirsty."

"That is the plan* Sara. Tell the servants that no cup is to be left unfilled. Enough ale will muddle their minds and loosen their tongues."

Sara nodded vigorously. "I see your plan* mistress* and I tell you I am greatly relieved. At first I could not understand how that… man could be allowed to sit at your father's table. Why* I thought it was sacrilege you encouraged*" she added in a whisper.

"There is reason." Elizabeth found herself comforting the old woman. "You must continue to have faith in me* Sara. Do not doubt my motives. Trust me." Familiar words* Elizabeth thought. Easily asked but quite difficult to give.

Elizabeth patted the woman on the arm and left the room. Her destination was the courtyard* where her husband was holding court. The villeins* those who worked for her father but had some rights of their own to the land* and the cotters* those who usually had no rights to any property but served the lord faithfully* had all been informed that Geoffrey would hear their disputes and offer decisions. Elizabeth was anxious to observe her husband* to see how he questioned* to have some insight on how he reached his decisions.

Geoffrey's back was to Elizabeth when she started down the steps. A long wooden table had been placed a little distance in front of the steps* and her husband sat in the same high-back chair that her father had used. Roger stood behind Geoffrey* his hand resting almost absentmindedly on the hilt of his sword at his side. There was a crowd gathered* all men* split into two sides in front of the table* with a cleared space in the middle. A lone man* Elizabeth recognized him as one of the leatherworkers* stood in the center* his head bowed.

The squire gestured to Elizabeth and pointed to a stool next to him. Elizabeth walked over to where the lad stood. "You are to sit here*" the squire informed Elizabeth.

"My husband's orders?" Elizabeth asked in a whisper so as not to interrupt the proceedings.

The squire nodded* pleased that his mistress understood.

Elizabeth turned and stared at the back of her husband's head* wilting him to look over his shoulder at her. So I also sit behind you* husband? Stand behind you* sit behind you* is that your way of thinking? she asked herself. Well* I think not* Baron Geoffrey. You have much to learn* husband mine* and the lessons will begin now.

Elizabeth smiled* more to herself than the grinning squire* and then lifted the wooden stool. The squire could do no more than gape as his mistress carried the stool to the table. Roger was watching her* Elizabeth realized* and she glanced up to see his expression. He gave her a small shake of his head* hoping she would understand that what she was about was not acceptable* but Elizabeth only increased her smile* nodding that she understood well enough. Roger's expression turned from a frown to a bland* almost bored expression it must have taken years to perfect* but his new mistress wasn't the least bit fooled. She could see the laughter in his eyes.

Oh* but she hoped Geoffrey wouldn't make a scene! Why* she didn't even know if he was inclined to beat his wife. And though she had heard that he had a fierce temper* she had yet to see it.

Well* it was too late for second thoughts now. She took a calming breath and placed the stool next to her husband. Smoothing her gown* she sat down and folded her hands demurely in her lap. Though she wished more than anything to chance a glimpse at her husband's expression* she did not. With total concentration she kept her gaze straight ahead and waited.

Geoffrey was in the middle of a sentence when his wife appeared at his side. He lost his train of thought as he watched her out of the corner of his eye take her place next to him. Her audacity stunned him into temporary speechlessness.

Elizabeth felt his anger blow over her like a hot wind and she braced herself for the explosion. Had she misjudged him so completely? she asked herself. She thought he would never make a scene in front of his men. Never mind* she told herself* what will be cannot be stopped. But if he does rant and rave* and if I am cast out and back inside* I will return to his side* again and again* until he must tie me in chains to keep me behind him.

Geoffrey refused to acknowledge his wife sitting beside him. He had no wish to cause a commotion* to give those watching the impression that his wife did not fear him* that she was disobedient. Later* he thought with a scowl* later he would see to her punishment.

Elizabeth felt the threat of immediate danger pass. The wind cooled the goosebumps on her skin. Odd* she thought* but she hadn't realized how nervous she had become. Why* she was almost frightened! Almost* she reminded herself.

It was hard not to smile* but Elizabeth did her best. It was not so very difficult training a new husband* not too difficult at all.

You have much to learn* Elizabeth* Geoffrey thought with irritation. He judged it would not be a difficult task* once his new wife understood his rules* his way of thinking. Not too difficult at all.

Geoffrey cleared his throat and tried to remember what he had been saying when the interruption occurred. "Where was I?" he muttered over his shoulder to Roger. The vassal bent down and said a few words into his lord's ear but stopped when Geoffrey nodded.

"The charge against you is grave indeed. Did you understand that it is forbidden to hunt in your lord's forest?"

"I understood the rules* Baron*" the leatherworker replied. "I have been a loyal freeman to Thomas Montwright for many years."

Several men in the crowd nodded their agreement. Elizabeth knew the man standing before her husband and wondered what charge had been brought against him. He was called Mendel* she recalled* and he possessed a gentle nature. She could not imagine Mendel guilty of any crime* grave or small. Elizabeth fought the urge to ask her husband who had brought what charges against the man* but decided to wait. Being throttled in front of a crowd did not appeal to her.

"The charge is hunting within the lord's forest*" Geoffrey restated* "and while it is my understanding that Lord Thomas* rest his soul* allowed the hunting of some animals* the deer was off limits to all but himself. Yet you were seen dragging the dead carcass."

"I do not deny it*" Mendel answered. "I did kill the animal* but there was good reason."

Elizabeth almost nodded her encouragement but caught herself in time. It was extremely difficult to stay an impartial witness to the proceedings* and she only then realized the weight her husband carried. Justice was a heavy burden.

"State your reason*" Geoffrey ordered.

"The deer was injured and in pain*" Mendel replied. "The front right leg was broken. I do not know how it happened* but when I came upon it* I could see the agony. I made a clean kill to stop the pain and was bringing the carcass when I was intercepted by your soldiers. That is the truth as I know it*" Mendel said.

"Is there one here who can give testimony to this man's good faith?"

"Aye* my lord*" called out a voice. The crowd parted* and Maynard* the stable master* walked to the center.

"State your case*" Geoffrey said.

"I have known Mendel many years* my lord* and have always found him to be honest and truthful."

"Roger? Did you check the animal as I instructed?" Geoffrey asked.

"Aye* Baron. The bone was broken*" he said.

"Tell me this* Mendel. Why were you in the forest? To hunt rabbits* perchance?" he asked* his tone mild.

"Nay* my lord. I have paid a pence and one-half for the privilege of keeping two pigs within the area* and I was but checking on them."

"Uhmmm*" Geoffrey grumbled. He stared at the man before him for a long minute while the crowd shuffled from foot to foot.

"I find you innocent* Mendel."

The crowd was pleased. A cheer rolled through the crowd and Elizabeth smiled her pleasure.

Elizabeth found herself content to sit beside her husband for the next two hours and listen as one after another came before their lord to state their grievances.

By the time court was done* Elizabeth had a better understanding of how her husband's mind worked. His questions were always direct and to the point; yet when two men told opposite stories* Geoffrey was quick to find the truth. Seeing him as judge made her feel more confident that he would be able to find and punish all those responsible for her family's deaths.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع
أنْت يـَـــا اللَّـه 【 تَكْفِينِي 】ツ

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 10:16 AM   #22

Dalyia

إدارية ومشرفة سابقة وكاتبة بمكتبة روايتي وعضوة بفريق التصميم والترجمة و الافلام والسينما ومعطاء التسالي ونجمة الحصريات الفنية ومميز بالقسم الطبى

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
?  نُقآطِيْ » Dalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond repute
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

The crowd began to disperse* and Elizabeth thought it wise to excuse herself before her husband turned his attention to her. She had no wish to push him too far with this first lesson in just where her place was.

She was* unfortunately* not quite quick enough. Her husband's hand rested on her arm like the weight of three trebuchets. "Because Belwain and his men are about* I have today allowed your bold behavior." He squeezed her arm and added* "I have made an exception* wife. Do you understand?"

"I hear you* my lord* though I do not know why you are so displeased. My mother always sat beside my father. It is the way of things*" she said* looking at him with innocence.

"It is not the way of things*" her husband answered. His voice had risen in volume and the scar on his cheek grew a starker white against his tanned skin* a dead giveaway* Elizabeth had learned quickly* that he was indeed angry. He applied more pressure on her arm* willing her to lose her calm expression.

"It is not?" Elizabeth asked with as much innocent surprise as she could muster. She placed her hand gently on top of his. "I have only my parents' example to follow* my lord."

Geoffrey released the hold on her arm and pulled his hand free. "It is not proper to touch as this in public* wife." He sighed when she did not agree with him* knew she did not from the look on her face. Why* she seemed fairly amazed with his statement. "This is not the time for a discussion* Elizabeth*" he decided aloud.

"Tonight I will take the time to instruct you in your duties and your place."

"I look forward to the lesson*" Elizabeth replied* trying hard to keep the irritation out of her voice. And tonight I will instruct you* my lord* she thought.

Geoffrey considered his wife* glimpsed her anger* and was surprised by it. Didn't she realize how patient he was being with her? He guessed she did not* and felt great frustration. She had been through a great deal and he knew her emotions were strained to the limit of her endurance. For that reason he would continue to be patient.

Where had he received his ideas? Elizabeth asked herself. Not to touch in public? To show no affection except at night* in the privacy of their bedroom? Ridiculous* she scoffed to herself. There was nothing wrong with husband greeting wife with a kiss* or wife placing a chaste kiss upon her husband's cheek when first they met during the day. Who had raised him? A pack of wolves perhaps? She knew his parents were now dead* Roger had told her that* but what were they like with each other when her husband was a little boy? Did they never show any affection for each other? Perhaps there was no love between them* she decided. But then* there is no love between Geoffrey and myself* yet. It was too soon for love* wasn't it? And wasn't the touching* the showing of consideration for each other* a necessary beginning for true and lasting love to grow? Oh* what a confusion! Elizabeth's head felt like it was spinning with all the rules her husband kept hinting at. Am I the one so amiss in my thinking? she asked herself. Is it wrong to wish for laughter and shared secrets* an occasional embrace to show a specialness for one's spouse? A longing for these very things brought loneliness and sadness. Without another word to her husband* Elizabeth stood up and took her leave* walking slowly back into the hall. Sara immediately intercepted her* and Elizabeth thankfully put her confusing thoughts concerning her husband and his behavior aside. There was work to be done.

An hour later* Elizabeth felt very much like a limp rag. It appeared to her that no order could be undertaken until Elizabeth herself said the words* sometimes again and again until the servants understood just what she wanted. Most of the servants were untrained in the tasks she requested* and Elizabeth kept her patience. They were doing the best that they could.

"If Gerty breaks another cup we will not have enough for the drinks* Sara*" Elizabeth muttered when she heard a third crash.

Sara might have answered but Elizabeth couldn't hear her over the wail coming from outside. She recognized the voice and knew little Thomas was terribly upset about something. Just as she was about to see what the problem was* the doors burst open and the little boy came flying into the great room. Roger was right on his heels* trying to grab the wolfhounds* who were busy nudging the youngster in his shoulder blades* propelling him along.

"They think you are playing* Thomas." Elizabeth found she had to yell over his screams to be heard. She grabbed Thor* the bigger of the two animals* by the fur on the nape of his neck* while she watched Roger lunge for and miss the other* falling to the floor with a loud clatter. She almost fell down herself when her brother tackled the back of her knees and clung to her skirts. "Stop that screaming*" Elizabeth yelled* "or I will give you something to yell about."

"Amen to that*" Roger muttered* struggling to stand up. It was a difficult task* for Garth* a most affectionate dog* was standing with front paws on the knight's chest to give him better advantage while he licked at the scowl on Roger's face.

"What is happening here?" Elizabeth and Roger both looked up and saw Geoffrey standing in the doorway. Even little Thomas peeked out from behind

Elizabeth's back to look at the lord. Elizabeth decided that her husband* legs braced apart and hands on hips* looked quite exasperated. But then* so was she. Another crash resounded in the background* and Elizabeth felt like grinding her teeth in reaction.

"Come here* Thomas*" Geoffrey commanded. His voice was harsh* and Elizabeth immediately wanted to shield her small brother from her husband's anger. She did not think that Geoffrey would harm the lad* but she worried that his hard words would upset her sensitive brother immensely.

Geoffrey pulled the dog off the knight with one sure motion. "Sit*" he told the animal* and praise be* the dog decided to obey. "I am waiting* boy*" Geoffrey told her brother* folding his arms across his chest.

Couldn't he use a little gentleness in his tone when addressing such a small child? Elizabeth asked herself. She frowned at her husband* hoping he would see her displeasure and soften his commands.

Little Thomas saw that both dogs had quieted* and making a wide circle around the dog his sister held* he ran to Geoffrey.

"Was that you I heard all the way from the walls* bellowing like an infant?" he asked the boy.

His reference to a baby had the desired effect. Little Thomas quit crying and wiped his tears away with the sleeve of his tunic. "I do not like them*" he stammered. "They want to bite my arms off."

Elizabeth could not keep silent any longer. "That is nonsense* Thomas*" she snapped. "See how their tails wag? They only do that when they are happy."

"I will keep the dogs chained a while longer* Thomas*" Geoffrey said. "But from now on* it will be your duty to take them their food and see that they have enough water. And if I hear that you have not done this duty* you will be punished. Do you understand me?"

"I will do it* my lord*" Thomas answered. "And I won't be afraid. If the dogs are tied* they cannot bite me."

Geoffrey let out a sigh and nodded. "No* they cannot bite you* and after you have seen to their food* they will grow to rely on you."

"Mistress?" Sara called from behind. "The new vat of ale has been spilled. It was an accident."

Elizabeth closed her eyes against Sara's excuse for yet another accident. "See that it is cleaned up* Sara*" was her only reply.

"I will chain the dogs*" Roger interrupted. "Lad* you come with me."

The call that someone was approaching the gates stopped the knight's action. He looked at Geoffrey and then grabbed Thomas* slinging him up and over his shoulder.

"We have company*" Geoffrey announced. He was looking at his wife as he spoke. "Your grandfather."

His calmly stated news lifted the fatigue and frustration from Elizabeth. Joy welled up and she all but hugged her husband. "He is truly here?" she asked in a breathless voice* smoothing her hair in an unconscious gesture.

Geoffrey watched the excitement in his wife with a hint of a smile. He was pleased that she was happy with his news* and decided that he liked it considerably when she smiled. Soon* he thought to himself* she will realize her good fortune* and she will smile like that at me. Not that it truly mattered* if she smiled or not. Still* it would make for an easier arrangement. He did not ask himself why that was so* why he liked to see her content* for he considered it insignificant. Happy or not* she belonged to him. That was the way of things. "You are pleased?" he found himself asking Elizabeth.

"Aye* my lord* most pleased*" Elizabeth answered* clasping her hands. She started to hurry past him then* intent on greeting her grandfather* but Geoffrey's hand stayed her.

"We will greet him together*" he announced.

Elizabeth realized that that was the proper way and nodded her agreement. Geoffrey let go of her arm and walked beside her to the top of the steps leading to the courtyard.

The gates opened with her husband's order* and her grandfather* riding a white charger Elizabeth had not seen before* came galloping into the courtyard. He was dressed* as he always was* in gray tunic and hose* with the fur of some wild animal's skin draped as a cape over his shoulders and around his feet. Another band of fur covered most of his white-blond hair* tilting over one blue eye like a patch. He stood proud and tall* this radical grandfather of hers.

If Geoffrey was amazed by the figure dismounting before him* he hid his feelings well. Elizabeth glanced up at him* a smile on her face.

Her grandfather was an extremely tall man with a gait as enormous as his build. As bold as ever* he smacked the back of his horse and sent him flying away and then turned to walk toward Elizabeth.

"I came as soon as your word reached me*" her grandfather began in his powerful voice. "You are the baron here?" he asked.

"I am*" Geoffrey acknowledged.

The giant nodded while he studied the man standing next to his granddaughter. When he was through with his appraisal* he nodded again and turned his attention to Elizabeth. "You have no greeting for your grandfather?" he asked in a soft voice.

He was watching her closely* saw the fatigue in her eyes* the lines of worry.

Elizabeth needed no further urging. Nor did she turn to her husband for approval. She ran down the steps and threw herself into her grandfather's open arms* clasping her hands behind his neck. "Thank God you have come*" she whispered into his ear as he lifted her high into the air.

"We will talk later* child*" her grandfather whispered back. In a louder voice he said* "You are well* little Viking?" using his pet name for her.

"I am no longer little Viking* Grandfather* but a Baroness. Put me down and I will introduce you to my husband*" she said. She glanced over at Geoffrey* read his scowl* and added* for his benefit and his pride* "My husband is a most patient man when my behavior becomes improper."

Although he knew the man holding his wife was her grandfather* he still found himself irritated that another touched her.

The grandfather placed Elizabeth back on the ground* gave her another enthusiastic hug* and then turned to Geoffrey.

Looking at the warrior* he said* "Granddaughter* was the marriage forced?" There was a hint of a threat in his voice* but Geoffrey remained composed. He too turned to his wife and waited her response. Her words would determine his action.

"No* Grandfather* it was not forced." She was looking at her husband as she spoke* her expression serious. "I am most content."

Geoffrey's shoulders seemed to relax a bit to Elizabeth's way of thinking* though he still did not smile. But then he rarely smiled* Elizabeth reminded herself. Why* coaching a bit of lightheartedness into his expression was as difficult as trying to force the sun to shine during a rainstorm. It was simply beyond her power.

Her grandfather's voice interrupted her wonderings. "Then* why the hurry* I'm asking. I would have liked to see you wed*" he said.

"There was so much chaos that my husband thought it best to hurry the vows. And it would not have been proper to celebrate the event after what took place here* Grandfather."

"Still another reason to wait*" her grandfather argued. He still hadn't taken his gaze from the tall warrior* and Elizabeth noted that the friendliness was gone from his tone. He antagonizes* Elizabeth realized as she watched him fold his arms across his chest and continue to stare at her husband. What was his game* his purpose? she asked herself* growing worried.

"It was my decision*" Geoffrey answered. His tone matched her grandfather's and Elizabeth thought the two resembled hostile opponents now. "Do not dare to question it."

Geoffrey well knew he was being tested* though he did not understand the reasoning. Regardless of the motive* it was time he showed this new challenger who was in charge.

"You do not kneel before me*" Geoffrey said. "You have failed to give me your pledge* though you know I am baron here." His hand settled on the hilt of his sword* a silent message that he was prepared to battle if necessary.

"I am an outcast*" her grandfather answered. "You would consider my pledge honorable? Binding?"

Geoffrey nodded. "I would."

The scowl left her grandfather's face as he considered his next move. "Know you all the facts* my lord? I am Saxon* full blood* and once a noble. Still you ask my fealty? I have no lands to protect."

"I would have your loyalty or your life. The decision is yours."

Elizabeth could not understand what was happening between the two men. Fear swept over her as she watched the mental battle going on between her husband and her grandfather. His life? He had demanded his fealty or his life? No* she wanted to scream* do not ask this. He is his own man* loyal to no one but his family. Family! Aye* she realized* that was the key to this frightening game the two played. Was Geoffrey demanding acceptance by asking the pledge? And if so* why?

Geoffrey witnessed his wife's distress and hoped that she would not interfere. It was imperative that he have her grandfather's trust and loyalty* and though he had not voiced his reasons to his wife* he expected her to keep her silence.

"Go to your husband." The quiet instruction was heard by Geoffrey.

Elizabeth felt torn in half between the two. She wanted the time to explain her grandfather to her husband* and to explain her husband to her grandfather* but there was no time. She let go of her grandfather's embrace and walked to stand on the step* beside her husband.

Silence filled the area as the two giants considered each other. It was a most difficult moment for Elizabeth. She did not know what she would do if her grandfather refused to bend to her husband's will* did not know if her husband would truly carry out his threat to do battle…

The game ended. With absolute ease* her grandfather flipped off his cap and knelt on one knee before her husband. He placed his right hand over his heart and said in a clear and forceful voice* "I* Elslow Kent Hampton* give you my loyalty and vow on this day nare to betray you."

It was an emotional moment for Elizabeth. She had never seen her grandfather so intent. His word was his bond* and all he had to give. It was his honor* his soul. Did her husband sense this about her grandfather? she wondered. No* he could not* for he barely knew him* she reminded herself. He could have no idea that her grandfather was as fiercely loyal as she was.

"Stand*" Geoffrey said. All harshness was gone from his voice and Elizabeth could tell he was pleased. Her husband walked down the steps and placed a hand on his new relative's shoulder. "There is much I would discuss with you* and before night arrives* now that I have your loyalty."

Geoffrey was not prepared for the mighty whack he received on his shoulder* nor the deep bellow of laughter that filled his ears* making them ring. "You will have my time* my lord* for time is all I have to give. And there is much on my mind also… much I would like to ask you."

"So be it*" Geoffrey responded.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 10:16 AM   #23

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

"You would have fought for my pledge?" the grandfather asked* chuckling.

"Aye* and won too*" Geoffrey replied* smiling.

"Do not be too sure of yourself. I've still strength left in these old bones. I'm thinking I'd have the advantage of the wisdom age gives." His eyes sparkled at Geoffrey's reaction.

The lord began to laugh. "Not a chance*" he replied. "I have the strength of younger bones* old man* and would have cut you down in one quick blow."

"Ha! We will never know for sure* now* will we?" her grandfather teased. He threw his arm around Geoffrey just as if they had been boyhood friends and changed the subject before her husband could answer. "Know you the treasure you have in your new wife?" he asked. And then* before Geoffrey could speak* he said* "I have a terrible thirst for a cool drink* Baron. Share a toast with me to your marriage."

Geoffrey was chuckling as the two men walked up the steps and disappeared behind the doors. Her grandfather was saying something in a low voice and then her husband's deep laughter reached her ears. He was actually laughing! Elizabeth looked to the sky and saw that the sun was shining. Amazing* she thought. There wasn't a single rain cloud in sight!

It was nearly the dinner hour* and still Geoffrey continued in deep conversation with Elizabeth's grandfather. They sat at the long table* across from each other* with cups of ale before them. Twice she tried to join them in their discussion but both times the talk would stop and both men would simply stare at her. They made it very obvious that they did not wish her present.

She knew the talk concerned Belwain and the "other" that Geoffrey had hinted at and decided that they were planning their course of action. God* give me the strength to see this charade through* to look at Belwain and not plunge my knife into his heart.

Elizabeth grew increasingly restless. She sought solitude and went for a walk* and although she could not bring herself to visit the graves* she headed in that direction. The sun was setting* casting an orange glow to the horizon. In the distance* on the knoll* she could see the wooden crosses anointing the freshly turned earth* marking the area where her family was buried.

"Granddaughter?" Her grandfather's voice intruded and she turned and watched him make his way to her.

"I was this very minute wishing you were by my side*" she said* smiling. "Grandfather* I am so very glad you are here." She grabbed his hand with both of hers and held it in a tight grip.

"You were going to the graves?" her grandfather asked.

"No*" Elizabeth admitted. "I cannot say good-bye yet."

"And have you wept for your parents* your sisters?" he asked* his voice soft.

"No. Perhaps when it is done* when Belwain is punished—"

"Do not wait*" her grandfather said* "cry for them now* before it becomes too bottled up inside you. It will tear at your insides then and make you a bitter woman. Your mother would not have wanted that."

Elizabeth considered his advice and nodded. "I will try* if it will please you* Grandfather."

"You always please me* Granddaughter. Don't you know that?"

Elizabeth smiled. What he said was true. He gave her his love without restrictions* without rules. And most important* he accepted her for what she was.

"You have a new life now* Elizabeth. Are you truly content with Geoffrey?" he asked.

"It is too soon to know that*" Elizabeth replied. She let go of his hand and the two began to walk* side by side. "I try to follow my mother's example in playing the wife* but find it a most arduous task. Geoffrey is nothing like father. He is so hard… like steel. And he covers his emotions so that I am never quite sure what he is thinking. I do not think he is content with me but that too is too soon to tell."

"What makes you think him discontent?" her grandfather asked. "You have only been married one day*" he said* trying not to smile.

"Almost two* Grandfather* but you are right* it is too soon to make such a judgment. Still there are his rules…" Elizabeth paused* gathering her thoughts. Was it disloyal to discuss her husband with her grandfather? she considered.

"Rules?" her grandfather asked* nudging her into a decision.

"Yes*" Elizabeth answered. "Rules of how I should act* what I should do. I think he considers me illprepared to be his wife* and in truth* he is right. It is but a role I play and I do not know how long I can wear the mask of deceit."

"I do not understand*" her grandfather said.

"I have not shown my temper once since meeting Geoffrey and have tried to act with great humility." She saw that her grandfather was about to laugh and frowned up at him. "I have been a gentle* obedient wife these past two days."

"The strain must be terrible*" her grandfather said* chuckling. His tone grew serious but the twinkle remained in his eyes when he added* "I do see your problem. You wish to be meek but find it not in your character."

"Exactly." Elizabeth was pleased that her grandfather understood. "It is most difficult indeed. To keep my thoughts inside."

"Is it that you wish to be master here?" he teased*

"No* of course not!" Elizabeth was surprised by his question. "Please do not jest with me. I am most serious."

"Then what is it you wish?"

Elizabeth stopped walking and turned to her grandfather. "To be a good wife* to rule with my husband* to stand at his side."

"And you do not think this will come to pass?" her grandfather asked.

"Nay* I do not*" Elizabeth answered* shaking her head for emphasis. "He would have me locked inside the walls* without a comment of my own* I fear. And when he discovers I have no talent with the needle* or with the household affairs* he will undoubtedly despair. Oh* but I wish I had spent more time with my mother. It will mean nothing to Geoffrey that I can hunt with the best of his men and bring down as many kills. Worse* when he sees me without my mask* I fear he will—"

"Why do you think he married you?"

"Because of my father* and his failure to help him in his time of need*" Elizabeth responded. That was such an obvious conclusion she couldn't understand why her grandfather hadn't realized it.

"Think you he marries each time there is a situation like this?"

"Well* of course not* but this is the first time he has been called on to—"

"Elizabeth* you confuse yourself with your thoughts and conclusions. Your husband was not at fault for what happened here. The safety within these walls fell to your father. A trap was laid for him* and there wasn't any way that Geoffrey could have prevented what occurred." Her grandfather sounded a little exasperated and Elizabeth grew irritated.

"Then why do you think he married me?" she asked.

"I do not think that Geoffrey does anything he does not want to do. I think he wanted you for a wife."

"Because I was his responsibility*" Elizabeth added. "He felt it was his duty." Elizabeth sighed and added* "Honor is the reason* he is an honorable man."

"I agree that he does not know you in full yet* but I believe he will be most pleased when you remove your 'mask' and be yourself. Do not try to imitate your mother. In time you will learn the duties of being a good wife* just as Geoffrey will learn how to be a good husband."

"Do you like him* Grandfather?" Elizabeth asked. His answer was important* as she valued his opinion. He was an astute judge of character* and not easily fooled. She hoped his reply would be favorable to Geoffrey* admitted that she wished him to admire her husband. Why* she couldn't explain.

"Yes* I do like him. He seems an honest man. He is much younger than the other barons of his stature* from what I was able to learn. And much favored by the king himself."

Elizabeth swelled with pride* as if it was she who was receiving the compliments. She nodded and said* "Roger hinted that he saved the king's life."

"I would believe it*" her grandfather agreed. "He seems to possess many good qualities* Granddaughter."

"But there are faults too*" Elizabeth said to counter the praise. She did not wish her grandfather to become overly impressed* to place her husband upon a pedestal. He was* after all* only a man. And pedestals could crumble. "He is very stubborn."

"And you are not?"

"No! I am a most agreeable person."

"Then you will have no problem adapting to your baron's rules?" her grandfather teased.

"I did not say that*" Elizabeth replied* laughing at the way her words had been twisted. "Perhaps it will be easier if I ignore the rules completely. What say you to that?"

"He will not be so easily led* Elizabeth*" her grandfather warned. "But there will be joy in the battle* I believe."

"Have you seen your grandson?" she asked* changing the subject.

"Aye* he was brought to me*" her grandfather answered. "He did not recognize me and I felt like weeping like a woman when he did not."

Elizabeth could not imagine her grandfather weeping and shook her head. "You carry your grief inside you too* Grandfather. Why* in all these years* the only time I have seen you cry was when you bested my father and laughed so hard that tears rolled down your cheeks."

"I will miss them all*" he said in a quiet tone.

"Even my father?" Elizabeth asked.

"Especially your father. I'll miss our battle with words* the jests we played on each other. He was a worthy opponent and a good husband to my daughter. She was happy."

"Yes* they were happy." Elizabeth nodded* feeling the sadness in her shadow.

"I have a heavy heart that little Thomas does not remember them. Heavy* indeed."

"But* Grandfather* he saw it happen. And it was too much for him*" Elizabeth replied. "Geoffrey says in time he will remember* when his mind stops protecting him from the horror."

"We will find the ones who did this*" her grandfather muttered. "They will all die."

"Did Geoffrey tell you his thoughts? I believe Belwain is the one responsible but he considers my uncle only a follower. He hints of another who would have equal gain."

"Aye* we talked and he shared his thoughts. He believes we must not rule out all the possibilities."

"And what do you think* Grandfather?"

"I am an old man and need time to think on this*" her grandfather stalled.

"You only remember your age when it is convenient*" Elizabeth replied.

"And you know me well*" her grandfather answered. "Tell me this. Do you remember the stories about Hereward the Wake?"

"Only that when the battle for control of England was waged* it was Hereward who fought the longest."

"He was a powerful Saxon noble and held out the longest against the invading Normans. He fought near the fens around Ely."

"I have heard ballads sung in his praise*" Elizabeth whispered* "though I do not think our king would be pleased if he heard them. The songs glorify his enemy. Why do you bring this up?" she asked* frowning. "What has Hereward the Wake to do with Montwright? There is a connection?"

"Perhaps*" her grandfather said. "Hereward is long dead* but there are still his faithful followers. And more have recently joined their ranks* those who wish William removed from power and the return to the old ways. Geoffrey knows of this band of men and must consider that Montwright was attacked to cause havoc."

Elizabeth's eyes widened while she considered what her grandfather said. "How do you know of this group of rebels?" she asked after a time.

"I was asked to join with them*" her grandfather admitted. He watched Elizabeth closely* judging her reaction.

She was horrified. "It is treason you speak*" she whispered. "Oh* but you would not—"

Her grandfather smiled and said* "No* I would not. It is not honorable* for I had already accepted William."

"Did you tell Geoffrey that you—"

"No* I did not mention that I was approached by one of their leaders* child. But I did tell him that they were a threat* to be careful. I feel caught in the middle of this struggle* Elizabeth. Some of the leaders are old men now* displaced and full of hatred for all they had to give up. I do not feel loyalty to them but I am not inclined to name them either."

Elizabeth took hold of her grandfather's hand again and squeezed it.

"Why do these rebels persist* Grandfather? William has been our king for many years now. Can they not accept him?"

"There have been several uprisings over the years* many in the first two years of William's rule* but nothing I fear on the scale that is soon to come. Greed is the motivation* I think. These men do not wish for a better way of life for all* only themselves. They make rash and foolish promises to all who will listen* even promising that when William has been dethroned* the danegeld will be done away with."

"But wasn't there a tax levied in the time before William?" Elizabeth asked. "Called by another name perhaps* but—"

"It is not significant* child. What matters is that they are all fools* these rebels* but with a deadly purpose."

"I am frightened for you* Grandfather. Will there be penalty for not joining with this band?" Elizabeth found herself wringing her hands and stopped herself.

"I do not know*" he whispered. "Perhaps it is no coincidence that my only daughter and most of her family were murdered just days after I refused. I do not know*" her grandfather said* "but as God is my witness* I will find the truth."

Both Elizabeth and her grandfather could hear the footsteps on the path behind him. They turned as one and saw that Roger was approaching.

"Roger comes*" Elizabeth said. "Have you spoken with my husband's vassal yet? He is usually by my husband's side."

"I have met him*" her grandfather answered. He said no more until Roger stood before them.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 10:17 AM   #24

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

"The Baron wishes to speak to you*" Roger said* addressing Elizabeth.

Elizabeth nodded and started down the path. Her grandfather did not follow and she turned* waiting for him. "Grandfather?"

"You go on* Elizabeth. I will visit the graves first. I would say good-bye to my daughter."

Elizabeth nodded* knew that he needed to be alone for a few minutes. She motioned Roger to her side and walked beside him back to the hall.

"Is it true that my husband saved the king's life?" she asked.

"Aye* and he was only a boy at the time*" Roger said.

"Tell me* please*" Elizabeth asked.

"There was poison in the wine that Geoffrey carried to William*" he said. "Geoffrey knew this as he had seen the deed done by one of the nobles. As he approached William's place* he tripped and the wine spilled to the floor. William was angry over the clumsiness and was about to punish the lad when one of the dogs began licking the wine from the floor. Within seconds the dog went into fits and died. It was obvious to William that the wine was the reason. He made everyone save Geoffrey leave the hall and then questioned the boy. The plot was uncovered and the guilty punished."

"Why did he not just yell out what he had seen?" Elizabeth asked.

"He had only been a page in William's court a short time* but already knew not to speak unless asked. It was a rule he would not disobey."

"Aye* my husband seems to place great import on rules*" Elizabeth said* smiling to herself.

"It is the way of things*" Roger announced* borrowing his lord's phrase. "Without rules there would be chaos."

"But being rigid at all times*" Elizabeth began* "seems most predictable. Surprises are sometimes a nice change from the daily hardships. Don't you think?"

Roger glanced over at his mistress and shook his head. "Surprises imply that one is not prepared. Geoffrey is always prepared."

"Therefore nothing can surprise him?" Elizabeth asked.

"Nothing."

"You make my husband sound most predictable* Roger."

"It is a compliment I give him."

Elizabeth did not agree that describing her husband as predictable and rigid was a compliment. Rigidity left little room for spontaneity. No* it was no compliment* she decided. In truth* it sounded quite dreary.

"And do all follow his rules* Roger?" she found herself asking.

Roger looked surprised by her question. "Of course*" he said. "He would have it no other way. Nor would we! He is our lord* our leader."

"Do not frown so* Roger. I was not discrediting my husband or your loyalty. I merely wish to learn as much about my husband as I can."

Her explanation placated the knight and he relaxed his scowl.

She decided to change the subject and said* "Roger* I wish to thank you for your guard over my brother. I know you do this because my husband ordered it* but it must be a hardship and I—"

Roger coughed and Elizabeth guessed it was with embarrassment. "I do my duty*" he muttered* "and would give my life to protect the boy."

Elizabeth smiled and knew that what he said was true. "My worry is lessened because you are in charge of him*" she admitted. "Tonight—"

"He will be well guarded*" Roger interrupted. "Have no fear concerning him."

"With you about* I have no fear. Thank you* Roger."

He was about to say that he did only what his lord ordered* but recognized the lie. He would protect the boy whether he was ordered to or not. Had not his new mistress helped him in his hour of need? When his lord lay near death and he had no notion as to what to do? And now he had an opportunity to lessen her fear. He could not refuse* nor did he wish to. She had captured his loyalty.

He nodded* indicating that he had heard the remark. Compliments make him feel awkward* Elizabeth decided. For that reason she did not smile or make a jest about his discomfort but changed the subject once again. "I fear my parents' room will be overrun with rats." She sighed and continued* "It must be made ready for my grandfather* and I am sure he has no liking for their company." Her chattering ceased when the only reply she could get from Roger was a recognizable grunt* telling her that he was not interested in mundane household matters* she surmised.

They reached the doors and Roger escorted her into the hall where her husband waited. There were several of Geoffrey's men in the room* all wearing serious expressions. There was tension in the air and Elizabeth knew the talk was concerned with grave matters.

Later she would excuse her behavior on her nerves* the tension that was building up inside her over the coming encounter with Belwain* but that was only half the truth* she admitted. He just looked so forceful standing there* so rigid. And those hands* those velvet hands he held in such iron fists upon his hips* as if he was just about to let go with some great wrath. Oh* he was predictable* this new husband of hers* she thought as she stood at the entrance and waited for his attention. Predictable indeed. And that* she later told herself* that was the other half of the reason. He was so sure of everyone's reactions* and yes* their behavior too. He was too sure!

She was through waiting. She knew he saw her out of the corner of his eye as he listened to what one of the knights was saying. She tried to listen too* but the distance was too great and the knight's voice too low.

When Geoffrey nodded to his vassal* Elizabeth took that as his dismissal and started across the hall. He turned to watch her* his expression well hidden* as usual. Could he read the determination in her eyes? She hoped not* and suddenly increased her pace until she was almost running. She threw herself into his arms. Geoffrey's reaction was instinctive; he placed his hands on her waist to steady her* a most surprised look on his face. She saw it and was immensely pleased. I am not so predictable* she wanted to shout* not so easily molded* husband.

She was not done. Before he could mask his reaction and stand her away from him* she clasped her hands behind his neck and stretched up on her tiptoes to place a kiss on his cheek. "Good evening to you* my lord*" she whispered. She let go when she felt his intake of breath but continued to smile. Taking a step back* she tried to assume what she hoped was a subservient and obedient stance* though she had no previous practice in the art of docility* and said* "You wished to speak with me?"

The lilt in her voice* the sparkle in her eyes… Geoffrey felt as if the sun had just penetrated the walls* amazed at the joy she brought into the room. He glanced around and saw the soldiers watching and smiling.

He could not allow it* of course* should not* this independent streak in her* this need to disobey his most explicit order to behave in public with absolute decorum. Why* she was openly defying him! Aye* that was the truth* he decided. She wished to irritate him* but for what purpose? What was her game?

Her manner told him she awaited his reaction. He was about to chastise her with hinted threats he would carry out later* to give her what she expected. The teasing challenge in her eyes stopped him. It is what she expects* he realized.

His expression had turned back to the mask and so Elizabeth was quite unprepared for what happened next. Without saying a word* Geoffrey placed his hands on her shoulders and pulled her to him. Her reaction pleased him* and he favored her with a smile of his intent seconds before his mouth settled on hers. It was no gentle kiss* not from start to finish. His mouth opened on hers* demanding a response. She felt overwhelmed and quite embarrassed* felt his hands holding her hips against his in a most intimate way. She tried to pull away but could not. He was too strong.

How dare he? she demanded as she tried to push his tongue away with her own* how dare he maul her like this?

Her anger kept her from responding for a time* but then that too dissipated* and the warmness of remembrance* last night's passion* filled her. She found herself responding in spite of her intentions. And that was more humiliating than being kissed so passionately in front of an audience.

Geoffrey found her resistance fade and relaxed his hold. He continued to take his fill but stopped when he found himself more affected than he wished. The taste of her was intoxicating* he decided.

He kissed her once on the forehead after releasing her lips and chuckled out loud at the dazed expression on her face.

"You forget yourself*" she whispered in a furious voice* pushing at his hands* which still lingered on her hips.

"I never forget myself*" Geoffrey answered* grinning. "You have indicated by your embrace that you have a desire to be treated as a—"

It was as far as he got. Elizabeth's foot came down on his with a gasp of outrage. "Whore?" she interrupted. "You were going to say whore? Well* you are very mistaken* Baron. I wish for affection and you give me a mauling."

He continued to smile and her temper exploded. "Fine* lord and master! I have learned this lesson. In future there will be no display of affection. None! I will give you the cold indifference you seem to wish."

It was a wonderful exit line* Elizabeth thought* but found that her husband disagreed. He wouldn't let go of her.

"I have heard of your temper* mistress*" he said. His voice was gentle and soothing* the exact opposite of the anger she had thought her words would have caused. "Perhaps later we might find time to discuss this unladylike bellowing of yours. You are lucky that you find yourself married to such a mild-tempered husband."

She could only listen to his words with an open mouth* could not think of a single retort to his ridiculous analysis of his temperament.

And then he was gone* exited from the room* and only the echo of his deep laughter remained.

Elizabeth shook her head with despair. So much for predictable* she thought. Aye* she repeated. Predictable indeed!

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 10:17 AM   #25

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

Chapter Seven

Contents - Prev | Next

When Elizabeth had finished her duties helping to clear the varmint and the clutter from her parents' room* she went to her own bedroom. More dust had settled on her than the dustbin. She washed and changed into a gown of pale green* with an overtunic a shade darker and decorated with silver threads circling the top. Sara helped her fix her hair into a coronet atop her head* saying it looked quite lovely* even with the wisps of curls that kept slipping out.

Elizabeth waited until Sara had left the room before tying a second knife to a piece of ribbon and securing it under her gown around her thigh. She then clipped the silver chain that went with her overtunic* her bliaut* around her waist* letting it ride low* just above her hips* and slipped the other dagger in place there. She would use it to cut the meat* as it was the only utensil used and each carried his own* and no one would consider it unusual for her to carry it. But I could also use it to kill Belwain* she considered* if there be a need.

Little Thomas and Geoffrey's main squire* Gerald* were waiting in the hall when she opened the door. Behind them stood three soldiers* all holding drawn swords. "With your permission* we are to wait in your room until the visitors have left*" the squire announced. "I am to keep your brother company and they*" he said* motioning to the guards with a tilt of his head* "they will watch the door."

Elizabeth took a step back and allowed the two to pass by. She patted her brother on the top of his head and said to Gerald* "There is a chess game and checkers too* in the chest next to the fireplace."

"I am quite good at both games*" the squire boasted.

"I do not know how to play*" her brother answered.

"Of course you do* Thomas*" Elizabeth replied. "You have just forgotten. In time you will remember."

She shut the door behind her and slowly walked to the landing. From the sounds coming from below* she knew Belwain and his men had arrived. She hesitated at the top step* felt her courage try to desert her* and admitted that she honestly did not know if she would be able to see the evening through without trying to kill her uncle.

She touched the dagger at her side* patted it as if it had life* and whispered* "Our time will come."

"Who are you talking to?" her grandfather asked from behind.

Elizabeth turned and tried to smile. She was relieved to see him* knew that he would help her get through this evening. "My dagger*" she said. "I console my weapon. You do not think me crazed?"

"I do not*" he answered* shaking his head. "And does your dagger have a name?"

"You tease me*" Elizabeth said. The smile was more natural now for her grandfather.

"I do not tease*" her grandfather answered. "It is most common to name your sword or your dagger."

"I thought only kings named their swords."

"They also* child. Do you remember the tales of the mighty king Charlemagne?" With her nod* he said* "There are songs about his love for his sword* named Joyosa. Truly."

"Roland's name for the sword at his belt was Durindana* and there are songs about it*" she volunteered.

"So you are not so daft to talk to your dagger* Elizabeth*" her grandfather said. "I wager your husband talks to his*" he added.

Elizabeth doubted that but said* "I know he places great pleasure on his weapon but I do not think he talks to it." She found herself chuckling over their ridiculous conversation. "Knights are filled with superstition* I think. To name their weapons* to—"

"It is most serious* this work of killing or being killed. The knight knows that without his weapons he is powerless. That is why he honors his equipment. Every item in his stock has its significance."

"You are making fun of me*" Elizabeth said. "I do not believe you."

"Your education is lacking* Granddaughter*" her grandfather answered. He took hold of her hand and started down the steps. "Take the knight's spear*" he said. "Now* that is a most useful weapon* is it not?"

"Aye."

"The straightness of the spear symbolizes truth to the knight's way of thinking and its iron head suggests strength."

"So a curved spear would never do*" Elizabeth said* smiling at her absurd remark.

"Of course not*" her grandfather answered* "and it would be most ineffective."

"What about the other'stock'?"

"The helmet indicates modesty* and the spurs diligence."

"My husband does not always wear his helmet so he is not modest?" she asked in a teasing tone.

"Do not bait me when I try to teach you something." Her grandfather's voice was full of laughter.

They had reached the bottom of the steps and started into the great hall. He felt his granddaughter increase her pressure on his arm and knew her stress. Still* his voice continued in the same light tone as he said* "Now* the shield is almost as important to the knight as his sword* though he does not have it buried with him* of course."

"And what does the shield remind the knight of?"

"That by using it he has saved his body and therefore remembers to use his body to protect his lord. In your husband's case* his lord is King William."

"What about the bow and arrows that you made for me? What do they represent?"

"You know that the soldiers do not use the small bow*" her grandfather chided her. "They are fitting for a knight's use."

"My father thought my new weapon—"

"Ineffective?"

"Actually* he called it stupid* useless."

"Enough! You wound me* for I carved the arrows myself* and well you know it!" He laughed then and added in a whisper* "Why do you think I gave you such a bizarre present?"

"To irritate my father* of course*" Elizabeth answered* smiling. She was looking into her grandfather's sparkling eyes and hardly noticed that they stood in the center of the room* surrounded by Geoffrey's men and Belwain's soldiers.

"I admit it*" he answered* chuckling.

"And that is why you gifted me with the dogs. They were so small when I first began to care for them* but you knew* didn't you? You knew how huge they would become."

"I did* indeed*" her grandfather immediately answered. "Though I did not share the information with your father."

"I am surprised he did not challenge you." Geoffrey's statement turned her grandfather's attention to him. He stood to Elizabeth's side* a smile of greeting on his face.

"It was all a game we played*" her grandfather explained. He took Elizabeth's hand* resting on his arm* and placed it on Geoffrey's. "Thomas not only looked forward to my visits* but he demanded them." Elizabeth showed her surprise and her grandfather nodded. "It is true. He would send for me. Did you think I just appeared when the fancy took me?"

She nodded and he continued* "Thomas would send word to me that I was being remiss in my duty as father to his wife. I would then travel to Montwright and he would act as surprised as everyone else when I arrived."

Her grandfather winked at her and turned back to Geoffrey. "I have gotten her down the steps* my lord. I leave the duty of removing her dagger to you."

Geoffrey nodded and pulled Elizabeth close to his side. "You have no wish to offer me a greeting this evening?" he asked in a soft voice.

"I do not*" Elizabeth replied. "And I will keep my dagger at my side."

"Only if I allow it*" her husband said in a mild tone. "I do not like your hair twisted like that on top of your head. Wear it down when we are together."

Elizabeth's hand automatically went to her hair. Then she realized his aim. "You are as bad as my grandfather* my lord. You confuse me with nonsense when more serious matters need be discussed. You truly do not like my hair this way?" she couldn't help but ask* and almost bit down on her lower lip for her foolishness.

"I do not*" Geoffrey answered. "And your garments do not please me much either*" he added. He saw his wife's back arch in protest and did his best not to smile. "Tomorrow we will see about having new chainses and new bliauts fashioned for you."

"Is there anything you do like about me?" Elizabeth asked. She let her irritation show by jerking her hand from his arm.

"Perhaps*" Geoffrey answered. "I will have to think on it and advise you later."

His strategy was working. He was forcing his wife to think of other matters and hoped* when she came face to face with Belwain* she would not have had time to build her rage. She was like a small fire now* and as long as he and her grandfather continued to throw bits of water in her direction* she could not grow in intensity* becoming an inferno of emotion* out of control.

Elizabeth looked around the room and saw that Geoffrey's men were being friendly with the new soldiers. Everyone held cups of ale and already a free atmosphere prevailed.

"Where is he?" There was no inflection in her voice when she asked the question.

"Outside*" her husband informed her. "He is seeing what repairs and changes have been made."

"Perhaps it would be best if I went outside to greet him*" Elizabeth suggested in a flat voice.

"I think not*" Geoffrey replied. At her questioning look* he continued* "I have your word that you will not try to harm him* and I know you will keep it."

"Then why—"

"Come with me to the table*" he said* dismissing the subject. "You are not to leave my side this eve."

Elizabeth nodded and once again took hold of Geoffrey's arm. The crowd parted as they made their way to the long table and sat down. Geoffrey leaned toward his wife and whispered* "Look about you* wife. Do you recognize any of the men?"

"Not yet*" she answered* turning her face so that she was just inches from her husband's. She felt very safe sitting so close to him* and that gave her the courage to look around the room* to study each newcomer. "So many wore hoods*" she reminded her husband in a whisper.

When Geoffrey took hold of her hand and casually wrapped his arm around her waist* she knew that Belwain had entered the hall. She felt her husband's hand rest on the hilt of her dagger.

Elizabeth straightened her shoulders and gently removed her husband's hand from her waist. "You will trust me as I trust you in this matter?" she asked.

Geoffrey looked down at his wife and nodded.

She turned away from him then and watched her uncle walk toward her. Roger was at his side* wearing a look of disgust.

Her gaze was as cold as winter's sleet* her eyes unblinking* as she studied her uncle. He was dressed as a rooster* in bright reds* except for the brown stain in the middle of his bulging stomach* and Elizabeth thought that he strutted like a rooster too.

Belwain glanced at her and found her stare unnerving. He faltered in his steps and turned to look at her husband.

"Good evening* Baron*" he said when he reached the table. He had to turn to his niece and acknowledge her* though he dreaded the task. "You are looking well* niece."

Elizabeth did not answer him* only continued to stare. Belwain cleared his throat and sat down opposite the pair. "My heart aches for your loss* Elizabeth. I* too* feel a great sadness*" he added in a hurry.

A goblet of ale was placed before him and he grabbed at it* almost overturning it in his haste and nervousness. He downed the contents in two huge gulps and tried to cover the belch as he wiped his face with the edge of his sleeve.

"Where is the boy?" he asked then.

"You will not see him." Elizabeth's voice was hard.

"It is past his bedtime*" Geoffrey stated* his tone almost pleasant.

I cannot do this* Elizabeth decided as she watched the man sitting so calmly across from her. I cannot share a meal with this vile creature. She turned to look at her husband* willed him to understand* and then started to stand. Geoffrey would not allow it. He placed his hand on her shoulder and held her down* though to Belwain* who was watching the couple closely* it looked like an awkward show of affection on the lord's part. Belwain's eyes darted from one to the other and back again* his mind racing with his thoughts. Thank God I did not speak my true feelings concerning Elizabeth to her husband* he thought with a shiver. For some reason* the Baron has found favor with the bitch and would probably be outraged if he knew what I thought of her.

Belwain looked at Elizabeth and smiled. What a shame she did not die with the others* he thought. Such a disobedient* outspoken child* always so unimpressed with his attempts to win her favor. She seemed able to look through his exterior* and know his hatred. He didn't like her* aye* he did hate her… all of them* he thought. They were all trying to do him out of what should have been his. And when I am in charge here* she will be gone with the Baron. That* too* was a shame* he decided. He would have liked the chance to make her as miserable as she was now making him. To finally get even with her. He would wipe that expression of cold disdain off her face* skin and all* and then marry her off to one of his friends. Their sadistic ways with women would teach her a lesson she would go to hell with. His smile increased at his fantasy and he almost chuckled out loud. He caught himself in time and coughed.

"Have you given consideration to my rightful request?" Belwain asked Geoffrey* being sure to stress the word "rightful."

What request? Elizabeth asked herself. She turned to her husband and awaited his answer.

"This evening is not the time to discuss the law and your request*" Geoffrey answered. He motioned to his servants and pointed to Belwain's empty cup.

Belwain knew better than to press his issue. He nodded his agreement. He could wait. And he would win* no doubt about that* he thought. The law was on his side.

He looked at Elizabeth again and had to quickly pull his gaze away. She knows* he thought* but she can do nothing! His eyes became slits and his shoulders began to tremble with suppressed laughter. He felt himself grow hard with his thoughts and slid his hand between his legs hidden beneath the table linen. There is nothing she can do* he repeated as he stroked himself* nothing. You have no proof* slut* his mind screamed with glee.

Oh* that he could tell her! Yes* he would say* I helped with all of the planning and more! It was I who gave the design and the flaws of your fortress* and my only remorse is that I could not be here when they were all killed. Still it gave me great pleasure just to hear the telling… such pleasure that it took all three of his male companions to catch his orgasms* one after the other. It was the greatest day of his life* he decided.

He chanced a look at the Baron and his smile vanished. She has gotten to him* the whore! She has turned his head with false stories about me* that is why he looks upon me with such disgust.

But no matter* he consoled himself. The law be the law* Baron. There is nothing you can do either; you are too honorable* he thought* and almost snorted aloud. You would have proof before you challenge or deny.

Elizabeth found that she could not look at her uncle a second longer. She kept her gaze downcast and did not say another word until the meal was done. She refused to touch the food. It was tainted* with Belwain sitting at the table. She had no stomach for it but noticed that Belwain ate as if it was his last meal on this earth. And well it might* she thought just to ease her torment. Perhaps Geoffrey would change his mind* see that Belwain was the only one behind the murders. She knew she fooled herself* knew Belwain wasn't the only one involved. Her husband's reasoning made sense. Belwain was stupid* too stupid… but God's truth* the waiting was becoming unbearable.

When the meal was over and the table cleared* Belwain stood and strutted around the room. He grows more cocky with each drink* Elizabeth saw* and dresses the fool.

She closed her eyes against the sight of him and wished it was possible to close her ears as well. The noise from too much drink was becoming deafening.

And then she heard it. The laugh. It was more like a screech* unusual in sound* but one she had heard before* the day of the massacre. Her eyes flew open with the recognition and she tried to find the one making the sound. There were too many blocking her view. She would find him* she would* she told herself. She stood* jarring her husband with the force* but her eyes were not on him. She continued to search the room* watching and waiting.

The sound issued again* and she found him. He stood near the archway* laughing* with a group of men. She memorized his face and sat back down. Outwardly calm* she turned to her husband and said* "By the door. He was there."

Geoffrey had turned when his wife jumped to her feet. He saw the paleness in her face* the tension in her posture. He felt like drawing his sword and standing in front of her* to protect her* but he could not. Not if they were to find proof. And so he continued to sit* keeping his expression almost bored if Belwain or any of the others should chance to notice his wife's strange behavior.

He was visually relieved when she spotted one of the attackers. He did not ask her if she was certain* for he knew she was. "Did I not tell you that your uncle was a stupid man?" he asked.

Elizabeth could not answer. She kept her eyes centered on the soldier.

"A fool would bring the very ones back into the nest*" he muttered.

"He wore a mask*" Elizabeth said* turning back to her husband. "But his laugh was high-pitched and unusual… and I remembered it. What will you do now?"

"I will see to it*" Geoffrey answered. His tone was grim* but his words told her nothing.

"You do not answer me*" Elizabeth returned. She found that tears were clouding her vision and knew that she had reached her limit of endurance. She had to dab at the corners of her eyes with the back of her hand to stop them from touching her cheeks.

Geoffrey brushed her cheek with his hand and caught one of the tears. "Do not let him see you cry. It would give him pleasure and he would smile. And then I would have to kill him* and our plans to find the other would be at an end."

Elizabeth was overwhelmed by his tender words* his gentle touch. She looked deep into his eyes* read the tenderness there* and in that instant she glimpsed the inner man* usually so well hidden behind the tough exterior.

She was about to say* "You would do this for me?" but did not* for she knew that he would. Instead she whispered* "You forget yourself* my lord. I have told you that I never cry."

She gave him the gift of her smile then* and Geoffrey felt it was the finest of all gifts he had ever received. He had to stop himself from touching her. Lately* he realized* he found himself touching her* patting her* even kissing her in front of an audience. He knew better* but when she was about* he did not seem to care. She will have me acting like a pup following her about if I do not watch myself* and my men will no longer follow me. He cleared his throat to shake his thoughts free and said* "And you forget yourself* wife. I have told you to trust me."

"I do trust you*" Elizabeth said in protest* "and I honor your decisions. If I did not* Belwain would be dead by now."

Geoffrey had to smile. Her thoughts concerning her capabilities pleased him. He stood up and took hold of her elbow. "You have shown considerable courage tonight* Elizabeth* though I expected no less* you understand. Still* I would tell you I am pleased."

"So you have found something about me that pleases you?" Elizabeth remarked* agreeing to his lightened mood.

When Geoffrey admitted that what she said was true* she said* "Then perhaps* since you are so well pleased* you will tell me what you are about to do with—"

"I will tell you soon*" Geoffrey interrupted. "I must see to the necessary preparations first. Now I think it is time for you to retire. The songs grow raw and your presence dampens the men's moods."

"Dampens their moods! You think I care that—"

"The ale has loosened their tongues*" Geoffrey interrupted in a low voice. "And once you have gone* their talk will become more free* less guarded."

He was right* she admitted. "I will wait until you are done here*" she said. "No matter how late* I will wait up for you. And then you will tell me your plans?"

"We shall see*" Geoffrey stalled. He walked by her side all the way to their bedroom. She did not try to kiss him when they reached the door* and he found himself disappointed. He had grown used to her inappropriate displays* and that puzzled him. But there wasn't time to understand it. He had much to do* and before the night was done.

Elizabeth found little Thomas curled up in a ball and sound asleep in the middle of her bed.

"He calls out in his nightmares*" the squire named Gerald told Elizabeth.

"Thank you for your assistance this evening* Gerald*" Elizabeth said. "I did not worry knowing that you watched over my brother."

The squire blushed with her praise. He offered to carry the child to his quarters but Elizabeth told him that her grandfather or Roger would take the boy to his room.

When she was alone* she found that her hands shook. She took off her shoes and sat down on the bed to unwind her hair. Where had her grandfather disappeared to? she wondered. She had meant to ask Geoffrey if there was a reason for his absence during the dinner* but never got the chance. It was just as well that he had taken his leave* Elizabeth decided* and it was most probably his own idea. She couldn't imagine him keeping his temper around her uncle.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 10:18 AM   #26

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

Her brother's sleep became fitful. Elizabeth stretched out beside him and patted his back whenever he would cry out. Her voice seemed to soothe him and his breathing became more regular. Within minutes Elizabeth too was sound asleep.

Geoffrey did not return to their room until the early hours of the morning. He found his wife asleep* fully clothed* on top of the covers* with her brother cuddled up to her side. He saw that she was barefoot and smiled. She seemed more vulnerable without her shoes on* he thought as he lifted the little boy and carried him to the door* where Roger stood* waiting. "Take him to his grandfather and let him sleep with him*" he ordered in a soft tone.

He shut the door and turned back to his wife. She looked so peaceful* so very innocent in her sleep. He found it difficult to undress* preferred instead to look at her and dropped his sword in his clumsiness. It clattered against the stone floor* making a sound Geoffrey thought was loud enough to wake the dead. His wife's only reaction to the jarring noise was to roll over onto her stomach.

He finished stripping and began to undress Elizabeth. The small clasp on the back of her gown defied his awkward fingers but he persisted until he had it opened. Geoffrey paused in his chore to touch her soft* flawless skin* noticed that goosebumps appeared wherever he touched her* and most especially on the base of her spine. Elizabeth began to shiver and Geoffrey hurried to finish the task. He pulled the undergarments from her body and then had to pause once again. He grinned when he caught sight of the knife secured to her thigh* shaking his head at her precaution. She places great store in her own ability to defend herself* he thought* and wondered if she ever considered the possibility that the knife could easily be taken from her and used against her. Probably not* he decided. It pleased him that she thought herself so capable* but it made his work all the more difficult too. Weren't women prone* by their nature* to swoon at the sight of battle* and cling* with gratitude* to their protectors? Wasn't it a fact that they were weak and found their strength in their knights? Well* he decided* somewhere along the way* his Elizabeth had failed to learn this most important information concerning her nature. No one had instructed her* told her that she was weak and in need of constant direction. Odd* but that forgotten lesson pleased the lord. It was enough that he knew she needed him… even if she did not!

After talking with her grandfather* Geoffrey had a clear idea of just where his wife had formed her radical opinion of herself. Aye* Elslow was quite a character* in both his dress and his mannerisms* but filled with loyalty and other redeeming qualities too. It is good that I do not judge a man by his appearance* Geoffrey thought* praising himself and knowing it.

Geoffrey yawned for the third time. He was thankful that his wife slept* and had no wish to wake her. She would want her questions answered then most probably* and he was too fatigued to give her the long explanations needed. Under ordinary circumstances* he would not discuss such matters with his wife* but in this instance* it was her right* her family buried at the south end of the courtyard.

Elizabeth shivered again. Lifting her* Geoffrey pulled the cover back and placed her beneath the spread. He found he had to discipline himself against the urges filling his mind and body when he touched her. She needs her sleep* he told himself even as he trailed his fingers down her thigh. With a sigh of acceptance* he turned back to his fallen sword. He picked it up and stationed it by the other side of the bed and then joined his wife.

His back itched where the wound healed and he stretched back and forth several times before he got settled. He was about to pull his wife into his arms and let her sleep against him* but Elizabeth had the same idea and was quicker. She turned and snuggled up against him* throwing her leg over his thighs too quickly for him to dodge or protect himself. The result was a loud groan* as her aim was most accurate.

Elizabeth tried to stop the giggle but found it impossible.

"You are awake* wife?" The surprise in his voice made her laugh all the more.

"How could I not be?" she asked him.

"For how long?" he asked* pushing her onto her back so that he could look into her face.

"From the moment you opened the door* my lord*" Elizabeth admitted. She grinned and tried to roll back into his arms but Geoffrey pinned her to the bed with his hands* a look of exasperation in his eyes.

"And yet you let me undress you when you should have undressed me?" he asked* his voice gruff.

"Is that another rule* husband?" Elizabeth teased.

"It is*" Geoffrey announced. "And you have broken it." His eyes teased* as did his chest* rubbing against her breasts in slow motion.

"And the penalty* husband?" Elizabeth whispered* finding it difficult to continue with the teasing tone. His nearness was making her warm all over* and she found she wanted him to kiss her.

Geoffrey read the desire in her gaze and smiled. "I will let you decide the punishment* wife*" he said in a husky voice.

"I shall have to kiss you* my lord*" Elizabeth said with a mock sigh.

"And that is a punishment?" Geoffrey inquired with a raised eyebrow. His voice was gruff* his eyes full of golden chips.

Elizabeth did not answer* only continued to look at her husband with a look that made the fire in his loins explode into passion. Slow down* he told himself* go easy for her benefit. He took a shuddering breath and rolled onto his back* "Then give me a kiss* Elizabeth. But first* first you must call me Geoffrey."

"Why?" Elizabeth asked. She leaned up on one elbow and considered her husband.

"I like the sound coming from you* and you do not say it enough."

"As you wish* Geoffrey*" Elizabeth whispered into his ear. She pulled back* saw that he smiled* and was pleased. "And now I shall kiss you*" she told him. "Do I have your permission* Geoffrey?" she teased.

"You have it* Elizabeth*" Geoffrey replied.

"Then come here* my lord*" Elizabeth said* waiting.

Geoffrey did not move. Elizabeth began to drum her fingers on his chest* but that didn't get much of a reaction either.

"I am too weary*" Geoffrey announced. "You will have to come here."

"Too tired to turn to me?" she asked* trying to sound irritated.

"Aye* that is the truth*" Geoffrey said. "Besides* you are to come to me. Always* Elizabeth." His voice grew intense and Elizabeth puzzled over what he was trying to tell her.

Elizabeth sat up in bed and pushed her hair over her shoulders. Geoffrey had to stop himself from reaching out to touch her. He wanted her to be the aggressor but could not explain his reasoning* only that he wished her to take from him. He placed his hands behind his head and smiled at her.

The anticipation of touching him excited her. Still* it was best not to appear overly eager* she cautioned herself* for if he knew his effect on her* he would have another weapon to use against her. No* that would never do* she concluded. First* before she showed her emotions* she would make him want her as much. Perhaps* she thought with newfound confidence* even more.

She placed her hands on either side of his chest and slowly leaned down toward his mouth. But when she was just a breath away from touching him* she changed her course and kissed him on his chin. He was in need of a shave and his new growth of whiskers tickled her lips. She smiled to herself and kissed him again* on his chest* allowing her breasts to caress as her hands could not. Geoffrey did not say a word but his breathing became more rapid and Elizabeth knew he was not impervious to her. Her mouth moved lower* to the nipples hidden beneath the thick mat of hair on his chest* and her tongue circled each in a motion that caused her husband to flinch. But still he kept his silence* and Elizabeth let out a low* throaty laugh. She felt like a temptress and a nymph too* full of absolute power over the man responding to her. It was an exhilarating feeling.

Geoffrey's hands touched the sides of her face and he gently pulled her up. "I am still waiting for my kiss*" he said* his voice deep and velvet.

"Here?" she asked with innocence* pointing to his lips. "Or here?" she suggested* touching the tip of his nose. "Or perhaps*" she whispered* sliding her hand below his waist* "here?"

Geoffrey's gaze told Elizabeth he could not remain passive much longer. She was pushing his control away* touch by touch. He knew her game and was amazed by her uninhibited display; his mind would have allowed her to continue* to see just how far she would go* but his body was demanding with his need* becoming more painfully insistent with each passing second. "You will kiss me now*" he ordered* caressing her shoulders to soften the harshness in his voice.

"As you wish* Geoffrey*" Elizabeth whispered. She was no longer smiling as she reached up the length of him and touched his mouth with her own. The kiss ended the game for both of them. Her mouth opened for his tongue* her hands cupping his face to hold him still. And then the embers of passion ignited and Elizabeth too lost her control. She couldn't seem to get enough of him* tugging at the hair on the back of his head to keep him prisoner.

Geoffrey rolled her onto her back and covered her with his body while he continued to kiss her. The taste of her* sweetened by the ale* made him thirsty for more. His hands stroked and touched* rough in hurry* and when his hand slid between her thighs and he felt the wetness there* he knew her passion matched his own.

He could wait no longer. Nor could Elizabeth. She parted her legs and arched against him* eager to have him inside her. Geoffrey was breathing so heavily that he could not speak* could not form the words to tell her how very much she pleased him* could only groan with his need. He thrust deep* shuddering for control* and heard her cry out. Her nails scraped his shoulders as she tried to push him away.

"You hurt me* Geoffrey*" she sobbed into his ear as she continued to struggle against him.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 10:18 AM   #27

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

He heard her and immediately stopped all motion. Lifting himself on his elbows* he looked into her eyes* saw the tears streaming down her face. "Shhh*" he comforted* "it will not last long* Elizabeth. The pain will be gone." He leaned down to kiss her but she turned her face away.

"I am too sore*" she whispered* "you must stop." She was crying now* both from the pain and from the need so conflicting inside her. "But I don't want you to stop either* Geoffrey."

He could not stop* wanted to tell her he could not* and knew she would not understand. She was too innocent of men to understand. Sighing* he rolled with her to his side* willing himself to keep his patience* keeping inside of her by holding her firmly by her hips* whispering all the while words he hoped would soothe her.

Geoffrey pulled her leg up and rested it on his hip. "It will be better now*" he said* and when the sobbing stopped* he knew he was right. He kissed her then* a long* intense kiss meant to melt away her resistance and rekindle her passion* and after a time* Elizabeth began to respond. Her hands quit pushing against his chest and began stroking again. And the soreness was gone* or unnoticed* with her renewed passion.

"It is better?" he asked* thinking that he could not remain still inside of her much longer.

Elizabeth moaned a reply and her hips began to move against him. It was all the urging that Geoffrey needed. His mouth covered hers* capturing her moans while his hands pulled her hips closer. He meant to move slowly but could not* thrusting again and again* deeper and deeper still. He heard her cry out again and thought that he caused her more pain* but still he could not stop until the explosion rocked him from the mountaintop he had just climbed. He felt her shudder beneath him and only then realized that he had rolled her onto her back and that her legs were clenching him with the force of her reaction.

When his breathing calmed and he felt her relax beneath him* Geoffrey said* "You are all right?"

She nodded against his shoulder and Geoffrey relaxed. He rolled to his side and pulled her next to him* glancing down into her eyes. They were still glazed with passion* causing Geoffrey to think that she remained unfulfilled. "I have not satisfied you?" he asked* concern in his voice. Elizabeth adjusted herself to his side and settled her head on his shoulder. "I am most satisfied* Geoffrey*" she whispered. Her voice was full of wonder and sleepy pleasure. He worries that he does not please me* she realized* and felt a glow of contentment warm her. Soon* she thought* he will realize how much he is beginning to care for me. And one day* she considered* one day he will say the words.

"And have I satisfied you?" she asked* though she knew in her heart that she had. She had heard him cry her name and felt his strength explode into fragments just seconds before her own explosion. Aye* she had remembered calling his name too.

Elizabeth was sound asleep before Geoffrey voiced a reply. He chuckled to himself and closed his eyes. Contentment was here* in this room. It was there* whenever Elizabeth was by his side. He admitted it without argument and fell asleep with a smile on his face.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 10:19 AM   #28

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

Chapter Eight

Contents - Prev | Next

Elizabeth opened her eyes the following morning with a thousand questions floating through her mind. Geoffrey was still sound asleep* one arm holding her prisoner against him.

She decided to let him sleep a while longer and took great pains not to disturb him as she slipped out of bed. Clothes were spewn about the floor* and once Elizabeth was wrapped in her robe* she quietly saw to cleaning up. She would have to tell him that he snored* she thought* smiling to herself. He won't like hearing that* she knew* and that pleasured her all the more. Ah* but she loved to tease her husband! Too much of her grandfather's character in her* she supposed with a shrug. And he was the master of the game. Geoffrey was such an easy victim* with such a serious disposition and an inclination to scowl most of the day. Why* his very personality made it most appealing to try to goad him* she admitted without guilt.

Elizabeth walked over to the window and lifted the piece of fur. Looking out* she saw that it was a grand day indeed* if the warmth of the air and the brightness of the sun were any indication. It felt as hot as summer* the gentle breeze upon her face.

Grand* she thought again* for today she would find some answers. Her gaze turned to the forest's edge* to where her uncle and his men camped. Today he would receive justice* she thought as she scanned the area. Something was wrong but her mind could not grasp what it was. She shook her head and cleared her thoughts. The men were gone! No* that cannot be* she argued with herself. She ripped the fur from the wall and leaned out for a better look. The facts did not change. Belwain and his men were gone* fled during the night.

Enraged* she turned to her husband. God but he would be furious* she predicted. Why didn't the warning sound when Belwain broke camp? Why wasn't her husband informed? "Geoffrey! They are gone!" she yelled the news. "All of them gone."

Her husband's reaction did not please her. He opened one eye* scowled* and rolled over onto his side* away from her.

He does not understand* Elizabeth thought. She raced over and knelt on the bed* poking him in the shoulder* and repeated* "They are gone* Geoffrey. Wake up and clear your head. You must get up now. You must… do something."

Geoffrey groaned* making a sound like an angry beast* and rolled onto his back. "Quit bellowing*" he yelled.

"You do not listen. Belwain has gone* fled*" Elizabeth said again* and still did not lower her voice. "You must get dressed. We have to go after him. We—"

"I know he has gone*" Geoffrey said. At her look of astonishment* he sighed and got out of bed. "I sent him back to his home."

She could not believe what she was hearing. He had let Belwain leave? "And the soldier I pointed out to you last evening?" she asked in a subdued voice. "You let him leave also?"

"I did*" Geoffrey answered* yawning. He walked over to the chest and bent to splash cold water on his face from the basin placed there the night before.

Elizabeth watched him. She tried to keep calm* thinking that Geoffrey must have had good reason. A rage was building inside her but she kept control.

"Will you tell me why you allowed this?" she finally asked. She was still kneeling on the bed but now her head fell forward with undisguised despair* the long strands of golden hair shielding her torment from Geoffrey's gaze.

Geoffrey heard the threat of anger in her voice* and never at his most pleasant early in the morning* he found himself yelling an answer. "Always you question me* woman! I know the import to you* and for that reason I will tell you what plans are being carried out." He came back to the bed and lifted her chin with his hand. "But you will calm yourself and let me wake up first? Do you understand this* wife?"

Elizabeth listened to the clipped speech* so cold and hard* and could only nod. She was too incensed to answer him. Well* the gentle warrior has turned into the angry beast again* she thought. So be it* she decided* and I will match him word for word* shout for shout* if his answers and his explanations do not appease me. There has been enough blind obedience and trust he so easily demands. Yes* he orders me to trust* yet he gives me no reason to do so. No more! I will conform to his will no longer. "I have given you my trust* husband* and I would know now if it was a mistake." Her voice was as hard and as cold as his.

Geoffrey ignored her outburst and continued dressing. She knew that he had heard her* he would have had to be dead not to have heard her* but his face was turned from her and she could not see his reaction to her demand. Well* she would have his reaction* his attention. She got off the bed and went to stand in front of the door* blocking it* and stood there with her arms folded in front of her. Let him see my defiance* let him taste my rebellion. I will have my answers!

When his sword was securely anchored at his side* Geoffrey walked over to his wife and gave her his total concentration. His expression hid nothing* for he wanted her to know just how furious her words had made him. Acting much like the hawk he was named for* Geoffrey's arms flashed out and grabbed her by the shoulders before she knew what he was about. He literally hauled her off her feet so that her eyes were just inches from his. "Never*" he said in a harsh whisper that chilled her to the bone* "never demand." He shook her once and she could feel his hands trembling against her skin. He looked ready to explode* Elizabeth thought* noticing that the golden chips in his dark eyes now resembled chips of ice; yet she refused to use caution. She opened her mouth to protest* to tell him that it was her right to know what he intended* but Geoffrey shook her again. "Do not say a word to me unless it is an apology."

Elizabeth promptly shut her mouth. There would be no apology* save one he should rightfully give her* she decided.

"So be it*" Geoffrey muttered. He knew from the look on her face and the angry glaze darkening her eyes that he would get no apology. He had never laid a hand in anger on any woman* but God's truth* this brazen wife made the thought less repugnant. He shook his head again* disgusted with his own thoughts. "You have the stubbornness of a mule*" he muttered. He placed her back on the floor* out of the door's path. One final glare* and he was gone.

"So be it*" he muttered on his way down the steps. The stubborn wench! Oh* but she could infuriate him like no other. He made the vow that she would pay the price for her stubbornness* her disobedience. He would keep her waiting all through the day before he spoke to her again. By nightfall* he predicted she would apologize.

He slammed out of the great doors and called for his horse. A hard ride through the forest would clear his mind and rid him of his anger. It was either that* or go back to the bedroom and throttle his wife. He smiled at that ridiculous thought* knew he could never harm her* and felt some of his frustration evaporate with the sun's rays. Ah* wife* he thought as he slowed his pace to the stable* there is much for you to learn about humility.

As soon as the door slammed shut* Elizabeth began to jerk her robe off. She muttered and swore—in Latin* should anyone chance to overhear her—all the while that she dressed. A dark blue tunic fit her mood* as somber in its cut and design as her thoughts. She was so angry she found it difficult to know what to do. She needed to get outdoors* feel the sun on her face and the wind lift her hair* feel the freedom she could only find riding hard and fast on her mare. The exercise would calm her* bring her reasoning ability back.

She didn't do more than brush her hair before she headed for the stable* pausing only long enough to gather her small bow and arrows. The bow she slipped over her shoulder* the arrows she secured in the pouch her grandfather had fashioned for her. She clipped the leather pouch to a thin* knotted rope and then slipped it over her head and under one arm.

Geoffrey was just leaving the stable when Elizabeth arrived. He did not acknowledge her* though he was immensely pleased that she had come in search of him. Already she seeks me out to give me her apology* he thought with satisfaction.

Her husband rode past her without a word* and that suited Elizabeth just fine. She didn't even give him more than a passing glare as she ordered her mare saddled for her.

Geoffrey was gone before she commanded the stable master to saddle her horse. The stable master incorrectly assumed that the lord had given his permission and hurried to do Elizabeth's bidding. No doubt the master was waiting outside for his wife.

The doors to the walls were being pushed shut when Elizabeth galloped full speed through the narrow opening.

She would not ride far* she reasoned as she raced down the winding road* knew even in her anger and frustration how foolish it would be to take such a chance. No* she would only make a half-circle of the area* stay within sight of the walls for protection* where the outlaws would never dare to venture.

Geoffrey paused in his ride* heard the sound of horse and rider approach* and turned back. The sight of his wife riding at a neck-breaking pace down the winding road almost unsaddled him. A yell of fury escaped him before he remembered he was ignoring her* and he found he had to shake his head again at his own behavior. He goaded his stallion and took out after his wife* hoping to intercept her before she reached the narrow path only wide enough for one horse.

Elizabeth saw Geoffrey approach and braced herself for another confrontation. She pulled her mare to a stop* gasping for breath* and waited.

"You defy me again* wife*" Geoffrey bellowed when he was within earshot.

"I do not*" Elizabeth yelled back. "You never—"

"Silence!" It was a roar she could not dismiss. She nodded agreement* finding herself quite afraid suddenly. The outlaws now seemed preferable to her husband* she thought a little desperately. Would he beat her? she wondered. The look in his eyes when he reached her side told her he was capable of it. Still* she did not think he would. It was a common enough practice for husbands to batter their wives into obedience* but Geoffrey was no common husband.

"You will not hit me." Her calm statement was like a slap at Geoffrey's pride. Of course he would not* he almost yelled. He took a deep breath and grabbed the reins she clutched in her hands.

"I would not*" he admitted in a low voice. "I am a reasonable man* Elizabeth* and reasonable men do not beat their wives. They may wish to* but they do not."

He waited for her to absorb what he had just said and then continued* "Now tell this reasonable man why you ride unescorted. Were you thinking to catch up with me?"

She dared not smile. Odd* but she wanted to* and realized her anger was gone. She saw the control he was seeking to maintain and decided that meekness was called for. The problem* of course* was that she wasn't sure if she knew how to show meekness. "My answer* if I tell you the truth* will probably anger you*" she said with eyes downcast.

"Impossible*" Geoffrey contradicted. "I cannot become any more angry. And you must always tell me the truth* Elizabeth."

"Very well*" Elizabeth said with a sigh. "I was not trying to catch you* Geoffrey. I just needed to ride* to feel free from my worries and my burdens for a time*" she admitted with a rush of honesty and an open gaze. "I do not like yelling at you… or you yelling at me. It is most distressing for a new marriage."

The intensity of her speech astonished him* pushing all residues of his anger aside.

"It is important that we try to keep our silence when we think harsh words. I learned that from my mother* Geoffrey. Elsewise this marriage will be most unpleasant. You would say things that you would later regret but then it would be too late. The hurt would have already been inflicted." She graced him with a small smile then and added* "Of course your words could not hurt me as I* I mean* we do not share a deep love like my parents. But if that is to happen* I mean… Oh* I make a mess with my explanation." She busied herself with arranging her hair behind her shoulders* embarrassed that she had spoken such thoughts. It was too soon to tell him such things.

"It is your wish that we love each other?" He seemed amused at his question and Elizabeth thought that his eyes fairly sparked with arrogance.

"I did not mean that*" Elizabeth stammered. "I only wish to get along with you* and not as your servant* Geoffrey. I am your wife and should stand beside you… not hovering somewhere in the background. I think your ideas about marriage most unusual."

"This is my opinion of your views* wife. It is your ideas that are most unusual*" he argued in his defense. "And it is because you are so very difficult to deal with that I find myself losing my patience. Think this will change when you are settled in my home?"

Elizabeth shrugged a reply. "It would seem that you are the one with the problem* my lord* for you have just admitted that you have trouble keeping your patience." She smiled at her logic and the expression on his face. "I will be happy to help you overcome this problem*" she added* "if you will allow it."

"I am not the one with a problem*" Geoffrey responded. He smiled and said* "You try to make me yell again* don't you? What is your aim?"

Elizabeth did not immediately answer. She lifted her shoulders and turned her gaze away from him.

"You bite the lion and chance being swallowed by him*" he said* rubbing his chin.

"And you are the lion* my lord?" Elizabeth asked* thinking to set another trap.

"I am*" Geoffrey acknowledged* seeing the sparkle in her eyes and wondering at the cause.

"Then that makes me your lioness* does it not?" she inquired with a soft voice.

"I had not considered it* but yes* it would make you my lioness*" he said with a chuckle.

"Interesting*" Elizabeth told her husband. "Did you know that the lioness is the one who hunts and brings the food to her husband?"

"Only because he allows it*" Geoffrey stated with conviction.

"And will you allow it for this one day?" she asked.

Geoffrey frowned. "What is it you ask of me?"

"To ride with me into the forest. I will hunt for you and fix your meal and then we will return to our duties." And perhaps* she thought* you will tell me your plans for Belwain when we are alone and you are not distracted.

Geoffrey threw back his head and laughed* causing his mount to prance in agitation. "You think you are so capable?"

Elizabeth nodded and he laughed all the more.

There was much work to be done* orders to be given* Geoffrey knew* weighing his responsibilities against the pleasure his wife was offering. Ah* but it was too good an opportunity to let pass by* Geoffrey decided with extreme smugness* this chance to show Elizabeth her limits as a woman.

"Lead the way* lioness*" he said* throwing the reins back to her. "Your lion is hungry."

Elizabeth laughed with delight* feeling very much like a child about to play a new game. All the problems would still be there when the game was ended* but the respite was welcome. For this one day* Elizabeth decided* she would rest from her burden. And show this arrogant husband a thing or two in the process.

She spurred her horse into motion* anticipation taking hold. Geoffrey stayed right behind her* letting her set the pace* as she rode into the forest* her golden hair flying with the wind behind her. He caught her laughter and found himself laughing too. Her enthusiasm was catching* he thought to himself* feeling a lightness of spirit he hadn't known he possessed.

Elizabeth finally grew tired of the race and pulled to a stop. She slid from her horse before her husband could reach her side. It was she who grabbed his hand and led him to a sturdy-looking tree and commanded him to sit and rest while she saw to their food.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 10:19 AM   #29

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

He could not allow that and said as much. "I will not interfere with your hunting but I must stay by your side. That is the way of it*" he added when he saw she was about to protest.

"Then do not make a sound or you will have no dinner*" she warned.

Geoffrey watched her take an arrow and position it against the string of the puny bow* and he could not contain himself. He started to laugh again. "You intend to use that… toy to catch our game?" he asked. "I do*" Elizabeth snapped.

"Then I will surely go hungry*" Geoffrey predicted* though he admitted he didn't mind.

Elizabeth ignored his barb. She walked a short distance from the horses and then stood* as still as the tree beside her* waiting. The arrow was ready… If only the rabbit would cooperate!

So intense* Geoffrey thought as he watched his wife. He stood a short distance behind her* listening to the sounds of the forest* his hand in position above his sword. When would she give up this pretense? he asked himself. Admit that she was ill-prepared and needed his assistance? It would be a while longer* he predicted* for she was most stubborn. He sighed and shifted his weight* prepared to outwait her. Elizabeth turned then and glared at him and he ceased his noise.

She didn't miss the smug look on his face* but wished she had. So smug* so sure of himself and his ability only. He waits for me to fail so that he can gloat* she thought. He prepares his laugh and his barbs.

If she had to stand there all day and into the night* she vowed she would. Failure could not be allowed* not if she was to keep any of her pride.

Her prayers for victory were finally answered. A fat* though nimble rabbit raced across the small clearing; Elizabeth took aim and sent the arrow whistling through the air* and if Geoffrey had so much as blinked* he would have missed the kill. The rabbit collapsed to the ground* nailed to the earth by her arrow.

His mouth opened before he had a thought as to what he would say. Truth was* he admitted with a bit of sheepish astonishment* he was fairly speechless.

Oh* how she longed to look back over her shoulder and see her husband's reaction! She did not* of course* as she wished to act most blase about her accuracy* and she knew that if she looked at him* he would read the gloating victory in her eyes. She pulled another arrow from her pouch and positioned it against the tensed string of the bow* keeping her smile to a minimum.

Elizabeth waited until her arms began to ache and then she changed her strategy. Ever so slowly she began to walk into the denseness* hoping to startle game into motion. Her aim worked* and Elizabeth felled another rabbit.

When she had gathered both rabbits* she turned to her husband and smiled. "I am most fortunate that the rabbits do not know I use a toy* my lord. Don't you agree?"

Geoffrey laughed and said* "They are most stupid animals* wife* but even so* I must tell you* well done."

Elizabeth made a formal bow and replied* "I thank you for the compliment* Geoffrey. I do believe it is your first. You have my appreciation for your kind words." Elizabeth's eyes sparkled with merriment. She felt like throwing her head back and laughing* just for the sheer joy of it.

"I would rather have your kiss*" Geoffrey said* and only then realized how very much he wanted to touch her.

Elizabeth almost asked him if he had forgotten that it was daylight and that he had informed her that kissing was only for the privacy of their bedroom. He was breaking one of his rules* and that fact pleased her. "Then you shall have it* husband*" she answered. She dropped the rabbits and walked over to him* swinging her hips in what she hoped was a provocative manner. Placing her hands on his shoulders* she concentrated on her task* wetting her lower lip with the tip of her tongue before she pulled his head down to hers. Their lips met in a long* searching kiss that left them both unsatisfied. And so they kissed again. The playfulness was suddenly gone and Geoffrey became demanding* wrapping his arms around her and pulled her up against his chest. Her reaction to his forcefulness was an uninhibited enthusiasm; her arms clung to him while her tongue circled and entwined with his in this sensuous battle for fulfillment. He turned her and braced her against he bark of a tree* never breaking his hold on her lips. Stroking her breasts through the material did not appease his appetite* nor did her motion with her hips* rubbing so seductively against his own* give him respite.

He growled low in his throat and Elizabeth whimpered an answer. The need to touch her satin skin drove all thoughts aside. He lifted the hem of her skirt with both hands until the material was caught at her waist and then caressed the smoothness that was Elizabeth* pleasured beyond belief when he felt her tremble beneath his hands. He leaned one arm above her head against the bark* trying to ease the growing ache in his loins. He pulled his mouth free and rested his head against the side of her face* breathing heavily into her ear. "This is foolish* wife. We must stop. It is not safe here." His voice* harsh with frustration and need* sounded as if it came from a great distance.

Elizabeth kissed the side of his cheek* her tongue stroking the line of his scar. "It is safe*" she whispered. "It is always safe when I am with you." She caught his mouth then and kissed him hungrily. "Please* Geoffrey*" she moaned when he tried to pull away from her.

"There are other ways to ease your torment*" Geoffrey whispered in a rough voice. He captured her mouth in a devastating kiss that promised fulfillment and slipped his hand beneath her undergarments. When he touched and began to stroke the dewy softness between her legs* she cried out in ecstasy. Geoffrey's tongue began to slowly move in and out of her mouth while his fingers imitated the motion below. And then Elizabeth's hips began to arch more forcefully against his hand; she buried her head in the cup of his shoulder* trembling against the need and desire coursing through her body. Release came in such a rush* shaking Elizabeth with such force that she collapsed against Geoffrey.

Geoffrey thought that he could withstand the sweet torment of holding Elizabeth so near and giving her the pleasure he wished her to have* but found that it was not enough. He held her tightly against him until her breathing slowed and the trembling had stopped* and then stood back from her. Without a word* he began to take his clothes off* wilting her with his gaze to do the same.

She was quicker than he* standing proud though shy before him* her clothes at her feet.

Geoffrey took his time looking at her* his passion warm and full of promise. Elizabeth's breasts were heavy with need* the nipples erect and waiting* straining for his touch.

His control amazed her. She watched him place his tunic upon the ground and turn back to her* and was almost overwhelmed by the sheer beauty of his body. He seemed the Viking god her grandfather had told her stories of* she thought* for he was surely as magnificent in build. And he belongs to me* she thought with wonder* just as I belong to him.

Geoffrey's hand reached out for her and Elizabeth rushed into his embrace. He seemed content to hold her against him* rubbing his hands down her back with a sigh of pleasure* as he inhaled the sweet scent.

He knelt down beside his tunic and pulled her down beside him* resting her on her back before stretching out beside her. His movements were slow and almost lazy now as he trailed the tip of his finger over one breast and then the other.

Elizabeth pulled his head down and kissed him passionately on the lips* willing him to lose his control. "God's truth* Elizabeth* you make my blood boil with my need for you*" Geoffrey whispered.

"It is the same for me* Geoffrey*" Elizabeth admitted* blushing. "I fear you think me wanton*" she added. She parted her legs and tried to pull him on top of her* but Geoffrey held back.

"Not yet*" he whispered as his mouth traveled to her breasts. His tongue began to stroke first one and then the other* always close to the nipples but never touching. He was driving her crazy with his tender torture and she found herself pulling at his hair to stop him. She heard his soft laughter and then his mouth gave her what she wanted* what she silently begged for* as he touched the nipple with his tongue and then took it into his mouth.

Elizabeth sighed her pleasure* let the exotic feeling surge through her body* content.

Her limbs felt blissfully lethargic. Geoffrey leaned up and stared into her eyes* knew that he pleasured her and determined* before he took his fill* to show her more of this new sexual world he had introduced her to.

The need to taste her drove him on. His mouth trailed light* feathery kisses in a circle* around her navel and then slowly moved downward. He found the heat* the wetness he had caused* hidden by the triangle of blond curls* and began to make love to her with his mouth* his searching tongue.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 06-03-11, 10:20 AM   #30

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

Elizabeth was shocked by the initial touch* did not know that man and woman worshiped each other in such a way* and began to protest. The words died in her throat* washed away by the waves of pleasure her husband caused. She clutched at his shoulders* straining against him as she fought the tension she felt building inside. "Geoffrey!" It was a demand* softened by her gasp.

Her husband knew what she wanted* what she needed to find her release* but held back* keeping her on the brink of the summit until he was sure she was completely out of control. Her throaty moans and the motion of her hips against him told him that it was time. He lifted his head and looked into her passion-glazed eyes as he thrust his fingers inside the velvet heat just once. Elizabeth's entire body arched in splendor. She shook with the force of her climax and then felt herself floating in a sea of colors* all exploding and blending and finally fading.

She opened her eyes to see her husband smiling with arrogant satisfaction.

"You think me terrible?" she whispered with embarrassment.

"I think you beautiful*" Geoffrey answered. His voice shook and Elizabeth felt a rush of gratitude for the control he had exercised.

And now it was his turn* she decided. She wasn't sure what she was to do but continued to look directly into his dark gaze as she said* "And does the wife touch her husband in the same way?"

"Aye*" Geoffrey replied in a low growl.

"Like this?" Elizabeth asked* taking hold of his hand. She slowly touched one of his fingers with the tip of her tongue and then slipped the whole of it into her mouth and began to suckle it.

Geoffrey's control snapped. His growl of pleasure was her only warning before he covered her with his body and thrust into her. His mouth captured her moans as he continued to plunder her body and her soul* pushing harder and harder.

Elizabeth wrapped her legs around his powerful thighs and rode with him on the journey toward fulfillment yet again. He was the warrior now* intent on his victory* but Elizabeth was there with him* sharing in his ultimate conquest.

"My gentle warrior*" she whispered when the storm was ended and the sun was again allowed to shine.

Geoffrey heard her and smiled. He rolled to his side with a contented sigh and said* "You are wrong* wife. I think perhaps you are my gentle warrior* with your dagger at your side and another hidden beneath your skirts; aye* you would be a warrior if you could* but you have set yourself an impossible task* for you will never be able to shed your gentleness."

He kissed her temple after his speech* saw that his words had affected her* for her eyes were filled with tears* and felt most content. He was finding it easier and easier to tell her what was inside him* and admitted that he felt no foolishness with his confessions.

"This lion grows hungry*" he yelled with mock fierceness* slapping her soundly on her hip.

"This lion is always hungry*" Elizabeth laughed* rubbing her hip. She stood when he did and only had to hug him twice while they dressed.

"It is most difficult for you to keep your hands off me*" Geoffrey said with extreme smugness in his voice. "Do not pretend such outrage*" he added with a chuckle when she tried to glare at him. "I will have to get used to this clinging nature of yours* I imagine*" he added with a feigned sigh.

"And is that so terrible* husband?" Elizabeth asked. She picked up the rabbits and turned away from him* looking for a spot to set the fire.

"No* only foreign* that is all*" Geoffrey answered. "I will skin the game while you gather twigs for the fire*" he announced.

Elizabeth nodded and threw the rabbits to him.

"Why is it so foreign?" she asked. She made a basket out of the hem of her skirt and began to fill it with bits of branches as she talked.

"What?" Geoffrey asked. He was squatting on the ground* a small hunting knife in his hand* and glanced up to look at her. He smiled when he saw that she was barefoot still and thought that she looked like an enchanting wood nymph.

"This showing of affection* Geoffrey… there was none between your parents?"

Geoffrey was surprised by her question* but lost his train of thought as he appreciated the enticing curve of her ankles. "Put your shoes on before you hurt yourself."

"After you answer my question*" she replied in a saucy voice. She saw that he continued to stare at her legs and smiled. "I like to go barefoot."

"They died before I had much memory of them*" Geoffrey answered. "Now put your shoes on or I will do it for you."

Elizabeth dropped the hem of her dress and the twigs fell beside Geoffrey. She spotted one shoe by the base of the tree but couldn't locate the other. "Then who saw you raised?" she asked as she knelt and burrowed under a thorny bush. The tip of her dark boot was visible and she had to flatten herself on the ground to wiggle close enough to reach it. It wasn't a very dignified position* but necessary. And Geoffrey observed the whole scene.

"You were overly zealous in removing your clothes*" he remarked with a chuckle. "Always in such a hurry*" he chided. The sparkle in his eyes matched his voice and Elizabeth found herself agreeing.

"I hate to wait for anything*" she answered with complete honesty. She sat on the ground and shook her boots free of any surprises before slipping her feet into them. "And I especially hate having the subject changed all the time. Now answer me* please."

"Answer what?" Geoffrey asked. "Who raised you?" She couldn't keep the exasperation out of her voice.

"The king himself*" Geoffrey answered. "Throw me your dagger*" he ordered* "mine is too large for this task." He was still squatting in the middle of the small clearing* looking at the arrows he had just removed from the game* studying how they were fashioned. "Did your grandfather design these?" he asked when he saw that she was watching him.

Elizabeth stood up and began to brush the dirt from her skirt. "I made those*" she boasted* "once my grandfather showed me the way. They are most effective* are they not?"

"That they are* though too puny for a knight to carry*" Geoffrey said.

Elizabeth handed Geoffrey her dagger and then knelt down beside him. She began to arrange the twigs in a circular stack and then asked* "How old were you when you went to the king? Did you become his page?"

"One of many*" Geoffrey answered. "I was six* maybe seven years old."

"Six! But that is too young. You must be at least eight years old to become a page* is that not so?" She sat back on her heels and frowned.

"Aye* that is usually the way*" Geoffrey acknowledged* "though some leave their homes by the age of seven. In my case* there was no one else* save the king* and he was a close friend of my father's."

"Tell me about your parents. Do you remember what they looked like?" she asked. "No I do not remember*" Geoffrey answered in a gruff voice. He seemed irritated by her question and Elizabeth wondered at his reasoning. "Now quit your chatter and see to my food*" he ordered.

They did not say another word until the meat was cooked and eaten. Geoffrey ate most of the game and Elizabeth was content to nibble on one of the roasted legs.

Geoffrey removed a small sheep's skin from his saddle and offered Elizabeth a drink. Thinking it filled with water* Elizabeth took a large swallow and promptly choked. Geoffrey grabbed her by the shoulders and began to whack her on her shoulders and she didn't know which was worse* to die from lack of clean air* or from being beaten to death.

"Always in a hurry*" Geoffrey snapped when she had stopped coughing and could hear him. "It is amazing that you have lasted this long." He shook his head and then decided to shake her too.

"I thought it was water*" Elizabeth said in her defense. "And I was thirsty. And you have probably made my shoulders black and blue with your help."

"Your face is still bright red*" Geoffrey said* ignoring her sarcasm. Why* he had barely tapped her between her shoulder blades* but then he had come to realize that his wife tended to exaggerate. It was a fault he would have to tolerate. "Come and sit down*" he said* hauling her up into his arms.

He lifted her high into the air and then pretended that he was about to drop her to the ground* but his wife was not amused by his play* only glared at him and held on tighter.

He sat down and leaned against the tree* holding her in his arms. Elizabeth rested her head against his shoulder with a sigh. For long minutes they were content to keep their silence* each thinking his own thoughts.

Now is the time for me to bring up the subject of

Belwain* Elizabeth thought. His mood is light and perhaps he will be more receptive to telling me his plans.

"Your brother will go to the king to be his page. I have not decided on the time yet. Perhaps in the fall." His statement jarred Elizabeth and she spoke before thinking* "You would not! He is still a baby. And I have heard terrible stones about the king. I will not allow it." She knew as soon as she said the rash words that her husband was not pleased. She felt him tense beneath her. His arms tightened around her.

Before he could answer her* Elizabeth said* "I know I cannot allow or disallow* but I cannot believe that you would do such a cruel thing. Surely you jest?" Her voice was soft and hopefully sincere. She lifted her head and looked at him* tracing a finger along the wrinkle on his brow his frown caused. "Being his guardian now* I feel this responsibility* and since he is so much younger than I—"

"Elizabeth*" Geoffrey said her name as a sigh* "I am the boy's guardian now that I am your husband* and I am also his overlord in future. Now what nonsense is this about the king? You should be proud that your brother will join his court. Don't you know the honor I bestow upon him?" He removed her hand from his brow and held it against his chest. Her touch had an unsettling effect on his senses and he needed to be clearheaded when dealing with his argumentative wife. Elizabeth nodded while her mind sought a way to make him understand her position.

"What stories have you heard about William?" he asked with mild interest. He pulled her back against him and began to rub the goosebumps from her arms.

"He has a terrible temper and is not of a forgiving nature*" Elizabeth said. "I do not want my little brother placed in such harsh conditions. He has been through too much already."

"There are those who say I have a terrible temper*

Elizabeth* and yet you do not seem afraid." He chuckled with his statement* secretly pleased that she had never shown fear of him.

"But they do not know you as I do*" Elizabeth stammered* "and you are reasonable. You said so yourself. But King William—"

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)

أدوات الموضوع
انواع عرض الموضوع

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات