آخر 10 مشاركات
[تحميل] جنون المطر ( الجزء الأول) للكاتبة الراااائعة/برد المشاعر(مميزة) (الكاتـب : فيتامين سي - )           »          484 - أحببت عدوي - آن ماكاليستر ( عدد جديد ) (الكاتـب : Breathless - )           »          117 - توأم التنين _ فيوليت وينسبير ج2 شهر عسل مر ((حصرياً)) -(كتابة /كاملة بالرابط) (الكاتـب : SHELL - )           »          476 - امرأة ورجلان - د.م ( كتابة / كاملة )** (الكاتـب : أميرة الحب - )           »          الغيـرة العميـــاء (27) للكاتبة الرائعة: فـــــرح *مميزة & كاملة* (الكاتـب : فرح - )           »          رواية أسمعُ عواء الهوى (الكاتـب : روز علي - )           »          نعم يا حبيب الروح (17) الجزء1س عائلة ريتشي-للآخاذة أميرة الحب*مميزة -حصرية**كاملة* (الكاتـب : أميرة الحب - )           »          آسف مولاتي (2) *مميزة ومكتملة * .. سلسلة إلياذة العاشقين (الكاتـب : كاردينيا الغوازي - )           »          فلتسمعي أنين إحتضاري *مميزة ومكتملة* (الكاتـب : مروة العزاوي - )           »          77. متى تذوب الثلوج - سارة كريفن - دار الكتاب العربي (الكاتـب : بلا عنوان - )

العودة   شبكة روايتي الثقافية > مكتبات روايتي > English Library > Fiction > Romance

إضافة رد

LinkBack أدوات الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
قديم 07-03-11, 12:47 AM   #21

Dalyia

إدارية ومشرفة سابقة وكاتبة بمكتبة روايتي وعضوة بفريق التصميم والترجمة و الافلام والسينما ومعطاء التسالي ونجمة الحصريات الفنية ومميز بالقسم الطبى

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
?  نُقآطِيْ » Dalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond repute
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Chirolp Krackr

“I hope you will make the announcement soon* Laird.”
Colm responded sharply. “What is it you have to report?”
As he asked the question* he noticed two horses tethered to a tree branch* and from the markings on their hindquarters he knew who they belonged to.
“What in thunder are the Boswells doing here?”
“Spreading lies.”

“What say you?”
“The lies about Lady Gabrielle have reached our clan* and two men from the Boswell clan are responsible. Kinnon Boswell claimed that he needed to speak to his cousin Rebecca* who as you know is married to one of our soldiers. He told the guards manning the tower that the matter was urgent* yet when he was allowed entrance* he didn’t bother to go to her cottage. It seems both he and his friend Edward were determined to see Lady Gabrielle.”
Furious* Colm demanded* “Did they see her?”
“No* they did not*” he assured him.
Colm relaxed. “Then they just might get out of here alive.”
Braeden continued with his report. “I was in the west field training the younger soldiers when one of Lady Gabrielle’s guards came to me and told me there was a problem.”
“Which guard?”
“Lucien.”
“At least one of them is learning to follow the chain of command*” he said drily. “What did he tell you?”
“He asked me if we were allies with the Boswells* and when I asked him why he wanted to know* he explained that he was about to kill two of them.”
“Did you let him?”
“No* but I swear to you* Laird* when I heard what they were saying about Lady Gabrielle* I wanted to. I was about to throw them out when you returned.”
“Where’s Gabrielle now?”
“In the great hall.”
“Find the Boswells*” he ordered* “and bring them to me. I want them to tell me what they’ve been saying about Gabrielle.”
After giving the command* Colm continued on. He was in a hurry to get to Gabrielle before she heard about the Boswells. Gabrielle had been through enough heartache. She didn’t need any more.
Damn it all* this was his fault. He should already have married her. That was the only sure way to stop this slander. No one would dare say a word against his wife…unless* of course* he had a death wish.
As he approached the courtyard* Colm spotted Gabrielle. Her back was to him and she was talking to someone. A few steps farther* Colm saw the Boswells facing her. He cursed as he quickened his step. The young men seemed so intent on what they were telling her* they didn’t notice him. Nor did they hear Lucien and Faust coming up behind them. The guards were running toward the two men* but stopped when Gabrielle raised her hand slightly to signal them.
The action was noticed by Kinnon. He took a step toward her and asked* “What are you doing?”
She smiled as she answered. “Saving your life.”
Edward was slow to catch on* but Kinnon was more astute. He whirled around and came face-to-face with Lucien. Instantly he turned back to Gabrielle and with a shaky voice said* “I was only telling you what everyone else was saying about you. I thought you would want to know. They can’t kill us for that* can they?”
“They can’t* but I can*” said Colm. Had he not been so angry* he probably would have thought their reaction to his voice comical. They jerked back and bumped into each other looking for a way to escape.

Gabrielle feared Colm might actually carry through on his threat and kill the Boswells* and she didn’t want that to happen. Kinnon and Edward were stupid young men with nothing better to do with their time than to come all this way just to see her reaction to their stories* but they should not have to die because of their ignorance.
They should have to do some squirming* though.
“Laird* I’m so happy you’re home*” she said ever so sweetly. “Come and listen to the stories the Boswells are telling me. You’re certain to be amused.”
Kinnon’s face looked like it had been scorched by the sun* while Edward’s appeared to have lost all color. He resembled a corpse. ’Twas the truth* he smelled like one* too.
“I doubt I’ll be amused*” Colm said.
He threw his arm around her* pulled her to his side* and kissed her while the Boswells watched with wide eyes and gaping mouths. Then he turned and gave them his full attention.
“I will hear what you have said to Lady Gabrielle* soon to be my wife.”
“Soon to be…” Kinnon swallowed hard.
“Your wife?” Edward said. “We didn’t know. We never would have…”
“You would not have slandered Lady Gabrielle? Is that what you mean to say?” Colm asked.
He was so furious he could barely keep from strangling the fools. He was inadvertently squeezing Gabrielle instead* and only when she pinched him did he realize what he was doing and loosen his grip.
“We wanted to see what she looked like. We had heard she bewitches men and we wanted to see for ourselves*” Kinnon explained.
“We were only repeating the stories we heard*” Edward said* his voice so high-pitched it neared a screech.
Lucien and Faust moved closer to Kinnon and Edward* who surely felt them breathing down their necks. Both guards were watching Colm* hoping that he would give the signal to dispose of the pests.
Gabrielle felt the Boswells had been sufficiently punished. “Kinnon and Edward have both convinced me that I am an amazing woman. It seems that I have given birth to four children* out of wedlock of course* and all in the span of one year*” she explained. “And with four different men.” She laughed before adding* “I must be very affectionate.”
“The stories are falsehoods*” Kinnon stammered. “We realize that now. Don’t we* Edward?”
His friend nodded vigorously. “We do. Yes* we do.”
“If we are allowed to leave* we promise never to say another word about Lady Gabrielle.
Except praise*” he hastened to add. “We will praise her. That’s what we’ll do.”
“Lucien* Faust* step back. Gabrielle* go inside*” Colm ordered.
Gabrielle wanted to ask him what he was going to do* but knew it would be improper to question him in front of outsiders. He wasn’t going to kill them* was he?
She took her time walking away. The Boswells had said terrible things* even repeating words she knew had to be foul because of their leers and dark laughter. She shouldn’t feel sorry for them* but she did.
Colm noticed she was dragging her feet and decided he would have to have a word with her about her obedience. When he gave an order* he expected it to be followed immediately.
And quickly. She obviously didn’t know that. She was half English* he reminded himself* and perhaps that was why she was so headstrong.

He turned his attention to the Boswells* shaking in their boots.
“When you wake up* you will go to your laird* and you will tell him what happened here today. I will know if you don’t tell him every word you said to Lady Gabrielle. You will also tell him that the only reason I let you live was because you made my future wife laugh.”
Edward nodded. “We’ll tell our laird every word*” he vowed.
Kinnon scratched his chin. “Laird* did you say when we wake up? Are we to stay—”
He never finished his question. Colm moved so fast* neither Kinnon nor Edward had time to react. One second they were standing* and the next they were crumpled on the ground.
Lucien nodded approval while Faust grinned.
Colm stared down at the Boswells as he ordered* “Tie them to their horses and get them the hell off my land.”
Walking toward the forge a few minutes later* Colm was still furious. How dare the Boswells* or anyone for that matter* say slanderous things about Gabrielle? Anyone who met her knew she was an innocent* sweet* kind woman. He should have killed them* he decided.
Gabrielle may have been upset* but it certainly would have lightened his mood.
He stopped abruptly. When had that happened? When had her feelings become important to him?
Colm tried to put Gabrielle out of his thoughts. He had work to do. He reached the forge and spent an hour with the smith discussing modifications he wanted made to the sword blades and then walked up to the crest overlooking the field where the men were sparring. The younger warriors were training. They held shields* but none of them were using them properly. A few were actually using them as weapons while their swords hung idly at their sides.
They shouldn’t be training with any weapon yet* Colm concluded. They were too inexperienced. Braeden was bellowing at them* but wasn’t getting the results he wanted.
When one of the younger ones made the mistake of grinning* Braeden promptly knocked him to the ground. Why was it that the inexperienced were the most arrogant? On a battlefield they would be a hindrance* and the seasoned warriors would have to protect them as well as fight the enemy. The distraction could prove deadly.
Stephen and Christien walked over to stand beside Colm.
“Lucien told us what happened to the men from the Boswell clan*” Stephen said.
Colm didn’t acknowledge the comment. Then Christien said* “Why didn’t you kill them? I would have.”
“Our princess would have been unhappy if they were killed*” Stephen explained. “I think that is why they’re still alive.”
The three remained quiet as they watched the exercises on the field. One young soldier dropped his sword.
“For the love of God*” Colm muttered. “I should let them kill each other and be done with them.”
“They should first learn to fight with their bare hands. They shouldn’t be fighting with weapons.” Christien voiced the criticism.
Colm nodded. Weapons could become crutches* and if disarmed* the warrior would be powerless against his enemy unless he possessed other skills. What in God’s name was Braeden thinking to let them use swords? By day’s end there would be severed limbs everywhere.

There were over a hundred clansmen on the field now* and that number didn’t include the unskilled beginners. Braeden couldn’t be in five places at the same time* and Colm realized he needed to delegate more responsibility to other worthy* seasoned warriors. No one would want to take on the beginners. Colm started back down the hill when an unexpected solution presented itself.
“Stephen* I think it’s time for you and the other guards to earn your keep here.”
“What did you have in mind?”
“I’ve yet to see your skill on the field. Tomorrow you will spar with some of my warriors.
If I think you’re up to the duty* you will help train the young ones.”
Colm didn’t have to look at Christien to know he was smiling. Come morning he would knock some of that arrogance out of him.

G ABRIELLE HAD BEEN IN A FINE MOOD UNTIL SHE STEPPED outside to get a bit of fresh air and met the Boswells. Kinnon and Edward had taken delight in sharing the stories they’d heard about her. The tales were so outrageous she couldn’t help but laugh.
The humor of the situation eluded her now. How could anyone get joy from saying terrible things about another person? There was no excuse for such cruelty. She pondered the sad fact as she climbed the stairs and entered the great hall. Her frame of mind had turned quite gloomy.
Though it wasn’t logical* she decided to place the blame for her misery on Colm. She had been living with the MacHughs for two weeks* and if their laird had bothered to tell his clan that he was planning to marry her* word would have spread to the other clans by now* and the Boswells wouldn’t have dared to taunt her.
But he hadn’t told anyone* had he? There was only one conclusion she could draw from his silence. He didn’t want to marry her* and he was so dreading it* he couldn’t bring himself to say the words. He didn’t even like being in the same room with her. Aside from lecturing her every now and then about something he felt she’d done wrong* he hadn’t had a decent conversation with her.
On one of her many walks with Father Gelroy she had discussed her concern about Colm.
The priest suggested that she try to be more understanding. Colm’s responsibilities as laird of his clan were sizable.
“I do realize his clan comes first*” she told him* “and I am an outsider.”
“They will come to love you*” he assured her.
She wasn’t as certain. Patience wasn’t one of her virtues. She decided she would give Colm one more week to make a formal announcement.
“One week. Then I’ll leave this place and go where he will never find me.”
Voicing her thoughts made her feel better and more in control. She straightened her shoulders and walked across the hall to the bench where she’d left her needlework.
“Did you say something?” Liam MacHugh asked the question.
Gabrielle was so surprised and pleased to see him* she didn’t mind that he had heard her mumbling to herself.
“Good day to you* Liam*” she called out.
Colm’s brother had been sprawled in one of two tall chairs flanking the fireplace. He stood as she crossed the room.
“Lady Gabrielle. Please* come and sit with me.”

She took the chair on the other side of the hearth and noticed that Liam didn’t grimace when he sat down. The cuts on the backs of his legs had obviously healed. There were a few wounds still visible just below his knees* but she didn’t think he would carry the marks the rest of his life. The deep cuts on his back* however* would surely leave scars. Lucky for Liam* his face had been untouched. He actually looked quite fit.
“Father Gelroy has told me all about you*” he said* smiling.
“How is it that I have been here two weeks* and this is the first I’ve seen you?”
“I didn’t want to see anyone until I was stronger. I’ve been up and about.”
“Are you feeling better?”
Her concern seemed genuine to him. “Yes*” he assured her. He studied her face for several seconds and then asked* “And how is it that you seem so familiar to me? I know we have never met* for I would remember such a beautiful woman. Perhaps I dreamed of you. The guards who traveled with you watched over me while I slept. I must thank you for allowing them to do so.”
“They didn’t need my permission* and they are the ones who should hear your gratitude.”
“Yes* you’re right*” he agreed. He then repeated what the priest had told him about the royal guard and was curious to hear more. He was also interested in hearing about St. Biel* and Gabrielle was happy to answer his questions.
She liked him. Unlike his brother* Liam was easy to talk to and quite charming. Women must flock to him* she thought* because of his easy smile and his good looks. He also had a roguish sense of humor. He made her laugh telling stories about pranks he and Colm pulled when they were boys. Spending the afternoon with Liam was the most pleasant time she’d had since arriving at the MacHugh holding. Best of all* Liam never mentioned the reason she was there* and for that she was most thankful.

GABRIELLE WAS ACCUSTOMED to eating her meals alone. That evening both Colm and Liam joined her. Colm* sitting at the head of the table* and Liam* sitting at the opposite end* stood when she entered the hall with Father Gelroy trailing behind. Liam beckoned to her while Colm* stone-faced as always* simply waited for her to sit down. She made a choice without giving it much thought. She smiled at Liam as she walked to Colm and took the seat adjacent to him.
Father Gelroy glanced in both directions before taking a chair next to Liam.
The room was quiet until Maurna carried in trenchers fashioned from day-old bread and filled with herring* salt cod* mutton* and salt beef. Last to be placed on the table were fat loaves of fresh brown bread. Still hot from the oven* the bread’s aroma filled the hall.
Determined to engage Colm in conversation* she asked* “Laird* how did your hunting go today?”
“As expected.”
She waited for him to elaborate* but he didn’t seem inclined. She took the wedge of bread Father Gelroy offered her and tore off a piece as she tried to think of something else to talk about.
The men ate their meal in silence* while* occupied in thought* she continued to tear the bread into shreds.
Finally* Gabrielle spoke. “What are your plans for tomorrow?”
“Why do you ask?”
“I was but curious.”

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع
أنْت يـَـــا اللَّـه 【 تَكْفِينِي 】ツ

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-03-11, 12:48 AM   #22

Dalyia

إدارية ومشرفة سابقة وكاتبة بمكتبة روايتي وعضوة بفريق التصميم والترجمة و الافلام والسينما ومعطاء التسالي ونجمة الحصريات الفنية ومميز بالقسم الطبى

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
?  نُقآطِيْ » Dalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond repute
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Chirolp Krackr

Father Gelroy began to tell an amusing story* and Gabrielle looked down at the table.
She’d torn the bread into a million crumbs and made a mess. Thinking no one had noticed* she scooped up the crumbs and dropped handfuls onto the trencher.
Once the priest had finished his story* she turned to Colm and asked* “Is the weather unusually mild this time of year?”
“No.”
Gabrielle was frustrated. Nothing was working. Surely there was a topic that would get his attention. She moved on to a question about the new addition being built.
Liam was talking quietly to the priest* but he heard what she asked and leaned forward to answer.
Gabrielle sighed and reached for another wedge of bread* but Colm stopped her by putting his hand on top of hers. His voice was whisper soft. “Why are you so nervous with me tonight?”
Tonight? She was always nervous when she was with him. But why? There was no reason for this feeling* unless* of course* it was a purely physical reaction* which didn’t make any sense at all. Of the two brothers* Liam was the good-looking one. He was the complete opposite in appearance and temperament from his brother* and yet it was Colm she was attracted to. There had to be something wrong with her* she decided* to prefer such a flawed and rude man.
“Gabrielle* answer me.”
“Should I give you one-word answers like you’ve been giving me? I have been trying to have a decent conversation with you.”
Liam interrupted them. “Colm* did you find out anything about Monroe?”
“There are rumors but nothing of substance yet.”
Liam looked from the priest to Gabrielle as he explained. “Laird Monroe was murdered.”
“We know*” Father Gelroy said. “Lady Gabrielle was supposed to marry the laird.”
“That’s right* she was. I heard about the marriage before I left the Monroe holding* not long before I was ambushed.”
“May I ask why you were there?” Gelroy said.
Liam smiled. “I was meeting someone.”
“Who?” Gelroy prodded.
“Just someone.”
The priest was about to ask another question* but Liam stopped him when he said* “A woman* Father. I was meeting a woman. I won’t give you her name.”
Gelroy blushed. “If only there was a chapel* you could go to confession.”
Liam shrugged. “Did you hear that the Monroes are fighting over who will be the next laird? Braeden believes there will be war among them.”
For the next ten minutes the brothers debated who should take over leadership of the clan.
“Do you think they will ever find out who killed the laird?” Gabrielle asked.
“We won’t rest until we find the culprit*” Liam said.
“We?” Father Gelroy inquired.
“Lairds Buchanan* Sinclair* Maitland* and MacHugh*” he answered. “They have already come together to share information.”
Gabrielle hoped there would be justice for Laird Monroe. “No man should die from a knife in his back*” she said.

“It is a cowardly act*” Colm agreed.
She stared at his hand resting on top of hers. It was twice the size of hers and warm* wonderfully warm. How could a simple touch please her so? Was she so starved for affection that his nearness would evoke such a reaction? He probably wasn’t even aware of what he was doing. Disgusted with herself* she turned away from him and listened to Fathery Gelroy telling about life at the abbey.
At every opportunity* Gelroy would make a comment or two about the benefits of having a chapel for the clan. He gave several examples* thinking he was being subtle.
“A chapel would provide a holy and proper place to hear Liam’s confession and to absolve him of any sins he may have committed with the Monroe woman*” he assured Colm. “And you* Laird*” he continued* “I could hear your confession anytime you wished…even twice a day if necessary.”
Gabrielle burst into laughter. “Father* I think perhaps you should just ask our laird to build you a chapel.”
Our laird?” Liam asked.
She lifted her shoulders and looked at Colm. “It would seem that you are Father Gelroy’s laird now…and mine as well. Is that not so?”
His expression was inscrutable when he answered. “It is so.”
Liam frowned. “Am I missing something here? Why is it so?” he asked. “And are you thinking about building the priest a church?”
“Perhaps*” he allowed.
“There are souls in need of saving here*” Gelroy said with a pointed look at Liam.
“Building a church will save our souls?” Colm asked* grinning.
“It would be a step in the right direction. Your clan would have to be encouraged to go inside* get down on their knees* and pray God’s forgiveness for their past sins.” Wagging his finger at Liam* he added* “And mean it…with a sincere heart. After what happened to you* I would think you would want to be in God’s good graces.”
In the blink of an eye the conversation turned serious. “Colm* Father has not been able to tell me how I got from Finney’s Flat to the abbey.”
“You could have walked*” Gelroy suggested.
“No* I could not.”
Gelroy sighed. “I have already explained that I cannot tell you.”
“But you know* don’t you?” Colm asked.
“Have you found the men who hurt Liam?” Gabrielle asked in a rush.
“You would know if I had.”
“But you won’t give up searching* will you?” she asked.
“No* I won’t.”
“You’ve still to answer my question* Father*” Liam said. “You do know how I got to the abbey* don’t you? Were you perchance near Finney’s Flat when I was there?”
“You cannot think this dear priest had anything to do with—”
Colm squeezed her hand. “No* we don’t think he was involved. It’s our hope that he might have seen the men who tried to kill Liam.”
“I was at the abbey before Liam came to us*” Gelroy said.
“I know you’re holding something back* and I want to know what it is*” Colm demanded.

Gabrielle’s mind raced. She had hoped to have a private moment with Colm to tell him that she was the one who shot Liam’s attacker and that her guards had carried him to Arbane Abbey* but now he was forcing the issue.
“I must tell you—” she began.
He shot her a daunting look that stopped her from continuing. “I’m talking to the priest* Gabrielle. It’s time for the truth.”
Father Gelroy seemed to shrink in his chair* recoiling from the laird’s anger.
“Well* Father* what is it? Are you going to tell us* or do we have to resort to more forceful measures?” Liam asked.
Gabrielle bolted to her feet* upsetting her chair in her haste.
“I cannot believe you would ask Father Gelroy to tell you what he cannot.”
“Cannot? Or will not?” Liam asked.
“Cannot*” she snapped* glaring at him. “I will not allow you to bully Father Gelroy. He’s a man of the cloth. He has explained more than once that he cannot tell you. Leave him alone* or you will have to answer to me.”
Before anyone could respond to her outburst* Braeden appeared at the stairs and called out.
“They’re ready* Laird.”
Colm reached down and picked up Gabrielle’s chair and moved it to the side.
“Come with me* Gabrielle*” he ordered as he took her hand and pulled her behind him.
He didn’t explain where he was leading her* but she was happy to oblige. A moment alone with him would give her the opportunity to explain what had happened at Finney’s Flat.
They were halfway to the entrance when Colm called over his shoulder* “Liam* I’m marrying Gabrielle.”
Liam was stunned. “You’re getting married?”
Gabrielle’s reaction was more intense. “You didn’t even tell your brother? I’ve been here two weeks* and you couldn’t make time—”
He was all but dragging her toward the steps now. “I have seen my brother as often as you have in the past two weeks.”
“That isn’t an acceptable excuse*” she muttered.
Exasperated* he pulled her along down the stairs. “I don’t make excuses.”
A soldier stood at the door. When he saw them coming* he bowed to Gabrielle and pulled the door open. She thought his action most peculiar. He should have shown deference to his laird* not her.
A blast of cold air brushed over her face. Colm let go of her and walked outside. He stopped on the top step and beckoned her to come to him.
The golden light of sunset spilled over a sea of faces watching her. The courtyard was filled with his clan* and more of them covered the hills beyond.
Gabrielle was so shocked* she could barely keep her wits about her. There seemed to be a thousand men and women staring at her. She tried to catch her breath. No one was smiling.
She noticed that right away. Oh* no* had the Boswells gotten to all of these people? She pushed the horrid thought aside. But why did they all look so somber? Since they were crowded together* she couldn’t see if they were holding anything in their hands.
She moved closer to Colm. Her arm brushed his. She looked up and whispered* “Am I about to be stoned again?”

“For the love of…” He stopped. He couldn’t be angry with her. Of course she would expect the worst. He hadn’t told her what was going to happen* and God knows* after what she’d been through in the last few weeks* why wouldn’t she be frightened?
“Do you think I would let anyone harm you? You belong to me now* Gabrielle.”
Colm turned to his followers* raised one hand high into the air* and said* “After much deliberation* Lady Gabrielle has finally agreed to become my wife. I am fortunate to marry such a passionate and spirited* beautiful and innocent lady. You will welcome her and honor her as you honor me.”
The crowd erupted into cheers and shouts. All of them were smiling now. Colm pulled her into his arms* tilted her chin up* and kissed her.
She was overwhelmed. He only kissed her long enough for her to want more* and when he lifted his head* she trembled. The noise swirled around her* and there was but one thought in her mind: there weren’t any stones.

C OLM HADN’T GIVEN HER ANY WARNING. HAD GABRIELLE known he was going to call his clan together to make his announcement* she would have changed her gown and brushed her hair. She didn’t even have time to pinch her cheeks to give them color. The door opened* and there they all were* staring at her.
An astonished Liam had followed them outside and stood on Colm’s right as he spoke to the clan. Liam seemed pleased by what he called “remarkable news.” Once the cheering had died down and the crowd had dispersed* he slapped his brother on the shoulder and hugged Gabrielle.
“I thought Gabrielle was our guest because of the help her guards gave me at the abbey* but it appears there’s much more to this visit.” He laughed and gave Colm a shove as they headed back inside. “You’ve been holding out on me* brother. Just how long did I sleep?
Evidently I’ve been missing a great deal. I must hear the details.”
“I’ll explain another time*” Colm said.
Liam took Gabrielle’s hand and with a wink said* “Are you sure you’ve chosen the right MacHugh* Gabrielle? Colm can be a bear to live with* you know. Perhaps you should reconsider.”
Colm answered. “There is nothing to reconsider* Liam. Gabrielle is quite happy.” He turned to her. “Aren’t you* Gabrielle?”
“Why…I…” How could she answer him? Happy? With all that had occurred in the past two weeks* thoughts of happiness had not entered her mind.
Liam saved her from coming up with an answer. “Need I pester Lady Gabrielle for details?”
“No* you need not*” Colm replied firmly.
Gabrielle was relieved when Liam bid them good night and went upstairs. She didn’t want to answer any questions. There was a more pressing matter on her mind. The time had come for her to face Colm with the truth. She needed to be alone with him. Her heart started pounding.
“Colm…”
“You look exhausted* Gabrielle. Get some rest.” Dismissing her* he headed for the door.
She followed him. “May I have a word with you? There is something I must tell you.”
“Can it wait?” He pulled a torch from its wall bracket to take outside.

The door swung open and Braeden and Stephen entered. She hoped they would pass through* but neither did. They waited to speak to Colm. He was a busy man with many responsibilities and burdens* she reminded herself.
“I wanted to…that is to say…I suppose I could wait until tomorrow. Perhaps early in the morning?” she asked.
Colm nodded* and Gabrielle* feeling weak with relief because she wouldn’t have to tell him tonight* hurried up the steps.
Father Gelroy was waiting to offer his congratulations* but she didn’t give him the chance.
She motioned for him to come closer and then whispered* “I’m so sorry I haven’t told Colm yet. I have twice tried to explain that I and my guards brought Liam to the abbey* but both times we have been interrupted. I think it best if I tell him in private. You had to suffer his anger* and Liam’s* too* because of the promise I forced on you.”
“The longer you wait* the harder the telling.”
“Yes* I know* but I do dread it.”
“Laird MacHugh will be pleased to know that you found his brother and sought help for him.”
“There is more to the telling than you know* but have no worries. By tomorrow night* Colm will know everything.”
“As will I?”
“Yes.”
She had hoped to tell him in confession* but if she did* she would have to say she was sorry for taking a man’s life* and God would know she wasn’t sincere.
That man had really needed killing.

MAURNA WAS THRILLED that Gabrielle was going to marry their laird and told her so several times while serving breakfast.
“No one believed that foolishness the Boswell boys were spouting* and we were right not to pay them any mind since our laird is making you his wife. He declared you innocent* milady* but we already knew it. Didn’t we* Willa?” she called over her shoulder.
The cook peeked out from the buttery. “We did. We surely did.”
“I thank you both for your faith in me.” Gabrielle stared down at a bowl of what appeared to be a thick gray paste.
“No lady as holy as you are would commit such terrible sins* and besides* our laird wouldn’t be marrying you if those sins were true…which they aren’t*” she hastened to add.
Willa brought out bread and put it next to the paste. “You eat up now. You could stand to put some fat on those bones.”
Gabrielle didn’t want to hurt the cook’s feelings* but she had to ask what the paste was before she put any of it in her mouth. It would be more hurtful* she thought* if she started gagging.
“What do you call this* Willa?” she asked.
“Breakfast.”
Maurna brushed some crumbs from the table onto her open hand. “You take your bread* and you dab it in the mush.”
“Mush?”

“It’s good for you* milady*” Willa insisted. “It’s made with cooked oats and some of my special spices.”
“We’ll leave you alone so you can eat while it’s warm*” Maurna said.
Gabrielle reluctantly picked up her spoon and dipped it into the thick goo. “Maurna* could you explain what you meant when you said no one was as holy—”
“As you are.”
“Why would you think I was holy?”
“Not just me* milady. Everyone thinks it.”
“I think it*” Willa said.
“I’m supposing it’s because you spend so much of your time walking with Father Gelroy.
You’re praying with him* aren’t you?”
She laughed. “Goodness* no. Father has been rather lonely* and that is why I’ve been walking with him* but we’re both getting accustomed to our new surroundings and feeling more comfortable now. Everyone is so friendly.”
The two women beamed at her praise for their clan.
“Your breakfast is getting cold on you*” Willa warned.
“I thought I might wait for our laird.”
“He’s been up and gone quite some time now.”
When the women left her alone to eat the mush* Gabrielle forced herself to try it and was surprised that it wasn’t vile. In fact* it didn’t have much taste at all.
She finished quickly and then went looking for Colm. The man must get up at the crack of dawn* she thought.
Faust caught up with her as she was heading to the stables. “Where are you going* Princess?”
“I’m looking for Colm.”
“He’s in the fields with his soldiers. Would you like to sit on the hill and watch the sparring?” he asked eagerly.
Faust obviously wanted to watch* and since she couldn’t talk to Colm until later* she decided to accommodate her guard.
“Lead the way* Faust.”
“I think you will enjoy watching* Princess. I know I will.”
“I don’t understand your enthusiasm. You’ve seen my father’s men training nearly every day at Wellingshire.”
“They did train almost every day* and for good reason* for they* like all good vassals* must keep their skills sharpened.”
“I know that* in England* a knight’s primary duty is to protect his liege lord. I think it must be the same here.”
“No* it’s different. I think as long as they win* most barons don’t care how many men die fighting for them* but MacHugh would take it as a personal affront if he lost one man or twenty.”
She lifted her skirts and quickened her step to keep up with him. “Do you think you will learn new techniques by watching today?”
“Perhaps* but that isn’t the reason for my eagerness. You will understand soon enough.
We’ll sit high on the hill between the two fields where we’ll have a good view.”

Faust led her up a worn path winding through the trees; it was a steep incline. When she reached the ridge* a panoramic view of the fields opened up below her.
There were two fields almost of equal dimension and separated by mounded stacks of hay.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-03-11, 12:49 AM   #23

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

On one side the archers practiced accuracy. Their targets were so far away it was difficult to see the center. Next to them men were throwing axes at targets. As far as she was from the field* Gabrielle could still hear the whistle of the heavy weapons slicing through the air. On the other field* men sparred with swords and shields. Circling them were rows of clansmen* young and old* waiting for their chance to demonstrate their skills.
There were at least a hundred men on the field* yet she easily spotted Colm. He was by far the most impressive warrior there. He stood at the far end of the circle* arms across his chest and feet braced apart. Even from her vantage point* Gabrielle saw his scowl* indicating he didn’t like what he was seeing.
She stared in fascination. His bronzed skin glistened with sweat* and the bulging muscles in his upper arms and legs exuded raw power. While she knew it was indecent for her to notice such things* she couldn’t make herself look away.
“Would you like me to fetch a blanket for you to sit on? Or do you think you will not want to stay that long?” Faust asked.
“I don’t need a blanket*” she replied* sitting down. She tucked her legs under her and adjusted her skirt; all the while her violet blue eyes were fixed on Colm.
“Do you see Stephen? He stands next to the laird.” Faust pointed him out.
“I see him. What’s he doing?”
“He’s watching Lucien spar.”
She searched the field and located her guard. “And why is Lucien sparring?”
“The laird invited him to*” Faust answered. “If he thinks we are capable* he will have us train the beginners. His seasoned warriors find it all beneath them* though of course they would do whatever their laird ordered them to. Stephen says the laird wants us to earn our keep* and we are happy to oblige.”
Gabrielle watched Lucien. Her guard’s movements were fluid and graceful. He held his own against the MacHugh soldier without seeming to exert much effort. Neither gained an advantage.
“Stephen bested all the others with bow and arrow. The laird wouldn’t give him time to fetch his own* so he had to use Braeden’s. I think you could best them all* too* Princess.”
She laughed. “Your faith in me is misplaced. Tell me this* Faust* what did the laird and his commander think of Stephen defeating their soldiers?”
“They were impressed with his skill. Braeden and Stephen aren’t adversaries. They respect each other’s ability and have* in fact* become friends of a sort. The laird has placed Stephen in charge of training the young ones with bow and arrow under Braeden’s watchful eye.”
“What about you?” Gabrielle asked.
“I will spar tomorrow.”
“You needn’t sit here with me. You will know I’m safe. You can see me from either field.”
“The distance is too great.”
“If I can see Colm’s frown* you’ll certainly be able to see me.”
“Tomorrow will be soon enough to take my turn. Besides* Christien will be fighting soon* and I don’t want to miss that. Lucien’s almost finished*” he added with a nod toward the guard. “I think he’s going to let the MacHugh soldier best him this day.”
“Why would you think that?”

“He should have finished him by now. He’s holding back because the man he fights is older by at least fifteen or more years. Lucien won’t humiliate him in front of his laird. It’s what I would do.”
Next to the combatants* Stephen had made the same observation. He stepped back and spoke to Braeden. A few minutes later* Colm stopped the match. New opponents moved forward to take their places on the field.
“Lucien* come here*” Colm commanded.
The guard ran to him. “Yes* Laird?”
“Stephen has suggested that you didn’t put your full strength in your fight. Is that true?”
“It is.”
Colm expected to hear an excuse and was surprised by his honesty. “Give me your reason.”
“He is my elder by many years. I didn’t want to embarrass him.”
“That is the most ridiculous reason I’ve yet to hear. Am I to assume that if an old man were to attack Gabrielle* you would be considerate of his age as you try to protect her?”
“No* I would kill him if he tried to harm my princess* no matter what his age.”
“You insult my clansmen when you do not give your best. Tomorrow I will see that you do.”
Colm gave the command* and the swords and shields were put aside. There would be hand-to-hand combat now. Groups of experienced warriors took the field. Each man’s goal was to pin the other to the ground. Cunning as well as raw strength were required* and several times during the challenges Colm intervened to show the combatants their mistakes.
Christien joined Stephen to watch. “They don’t fight like us.”
Colm heard his remark and called to him. “Show me the difference.”
“I’m sorry* Laird* but I must decline.” He sounded disheartened when he added* “I cannot fight you.”
Astounded by the guard’s refusal* Colm asked* “Why is it you think you have a choice?”
Stephen stepped forward to explain. “Now that you are betrothed to marry our princess Gabrielle* none of her guard can fight you.”
Christien nodded. “We must protect you now just as we protect our princess.”
Braeden took offense. “The laird’s warriors protect him.”
Stephen nodded. “Yes* and we protect the man who will marry Princess Gabrielle.”
Christien glanced up at the crest of the hill where Gabrielle was sitting. “Besides* she would not like to see us sparring with you. She is beginning to have affection for you.”
Colm looked up and saw Gabrielle watching. She was beginning to care for him? Not likely. The guard was wrong. A woman who cared about a man didn’t run him in circles and ignore his every command.
He pushed his thoughts aside. “If you cannot fight me* Christien* then you will fight someone else.”
He motioned to one of his clansmen. A thick-necked warrior immediately stepped forward.
“Ewen* tell Christien how old you are.”
“Laird?”
Colm repeated the command. Ewen* though puzzled by the odd order* quickly obeyed. He and Christien were only months apart in age.

“I trust Ewen isn’t too old for you to fight*” Colm said sardonically.
The two men went to opposite sides of the field. Braeden gave the signal* and Ewen* head down* charged. Christien met him in the center* and before the MacHugh soldier could get in a punch* Christien spun on one foot and used the flat of his other foot to slam him to the ground.
Christien waited several seconds to see if Ewen was going to get up. When he didn’t* the guard walked over to him and offered him his hand. Ewen pushed his hand aside* stood* and shook his head to clear it. He charged again. And again. It was painful to watch* and irritating as hell for Colm. After Ewen had been knocked to the ground for a fourth time* Colm strode onto the field* hauled the battered man to his feet with one hand* and gave him a good shove.
“Four times Christen has flattened you the very same way. Haven’t you figured out that you need to come up with another way to attack?”
Ewen frowned. “I knew he was going to kick me with his foot again* but I thought I could be quicker.”
Colm shoved him again. “Obviously you were not quicker* were you?”
“No* I wasn’t.”
“Why didn’t you try to block the attack?”
Colm showed him how it could be done* but Ewen was a slow learner* and twice more Christien knocked him down using the same method.
Three other soldiers met Ewen’s fate. Then the more experienced clansmen challenged Christien. The second man not only blocked his attack* but he landed a good punch to the guard’s middle. Christien fell to the ground. The next time Christien changed his maneuver and felled this worthier opponent.
Colm ordered Christien to try both techniques on him so that he could show his soldiers how to block the attack and gain the advantage. The laird was much quicker than Christien.
The third time Colm sent the guard flying backward* Christien landed on his stomach* rolled over* and sat up. Blood trickled from the corner of his mouth. He wiped it away* looked up at Colm* and began to laugh.
“Again* Laird?” he asked as in one motion he gained his feet.
“This isn’t a game* Christien*” he snapped. “Tomorrow you will help train the younger soldiers.” He pointed a finger at him and added* “Before then* I suggest you rid yourself of your arrogance. In battle* these men won’t get second chances. It’s your duty to teach them how to survive. When they’re ready* Braeden and I will teach them how to win.”

A FTER THE TRAINING SESSION* COLM WENT TO THE LAKE and washed the sweat from his body* then headed toward the great hall. He was walking past the stables just as Gabrielle led her horse out of a stall. The steed was already saddled.
He stopped outside the gate and watched her. She brushed a loose strand of hair from her face as she closed the gate behind Rogue.
“Where do you think you’re going?” Colm asked.
Startled* Gabrielle glanced in his direction. “Good day to you* Colm.”
If she was trying to get him to waste his time on pleasantries* she was in for a disappointment.
“I asked you a question.”
“I’m going riding. Rogue needs to stretch his legs.”

“And where exactly are you planning to ride?”
“Here and there.”
“Across Finney’s Flat perchance?”
It seemed he could read her mind. “Yes. I thought I would pay Laird Buchanan a visit. I would like to meet his wife. I am related to her* if you’ll remember.”
“No.”
“No* you don’t remember?”
“No* you’re not to leave this holding. You can ride in the hills here* but you will not leave the mountain.” Clasping his hands behind his back* he said* “I will have your word.”
She bowed her head. “As you say.”
Colm turned away from the stables and started toward the courtyard* then stopped. He turned and looked at his betrothed. She stood next to the horse* holding Rogue’s reins and waiting for Colm to walk away. He knew exactly what she was doing. Once he was out of sight* she would head to Finney’s Flat.
“Oh no* Gabrielle. You’re not pulling that on me again.”
“Excuse me?”
He walked back to her. “Don’t play the innocent with me. I know that ‘as you say’ means that you’re going to do whatever you damn well want to do. You will now give me your promise. You will say ‘I give you my word*’ and you will mean it.”
Gabrielle was not about to let him intimidate her. He wasn’t the only one who had something to be cross about. She took a bold step toward him.
“You were supposed to set aside a moment of your time this morning* for I have something important to tell you* but when I came downstairs* you were gone. Did you wait at all?”
He stepped in her direction.
“I couldn’t spend half my morning waiting for you to wake up. Get up earlier* and I’ll listen to what you have to say.”
Stubbornly* she moved forward. “You are an aggravating man.”
“And you have yet to give me your promise.”
“I promise*” she said with a hint of defiance.
They were now so close she felt his warm breath. “I want your promise to set aside some time tonight*” she said. “I must speak to you in private.”
“Tell me now.”
“This isn’t private.”
He put his hands on her shoulders and pulled her toward him. “I don’t know how I will ever get along with such a stubborn woman.”
His mouth brushed hers when she whispered* “I don’t either.”
He meant to give her only a brief kiss* but once his mouth covered hers* his intentions changed. Her lips were so soft and warm. At his insistence* she opened her mouth for him* and the kiss deepened as he wrapped his arms around her and pressed her tightly against him.
For Gabrielle* the world ceased to exist. There was only Colm’s magical touch. She returned his kiss with a passion she hadn’t known she possessed.
He came to his senses before she did and abruptly ended the kiss. He took a deep shuddering breath. She was so dazed she didn’t realize she was clinging to him until he gently pulled away.

Colm had to put some distance between them before he gave in to temptation and kissed her again. He knew exactly where that would lead* and he wasn’t about to dishonor Gabrielle and take her to his bed before their marriage* but she wasn’t making it easy for him to walk away. No woman had ever affected him so deeply.
He grabbed her horse’s reins* pulling Rogue closer to lift Gabrielle onto the saddle. With a slap on the horse’s hindquarters* Colm sent her on her way.

C OSWOLD’S SEARCH FOR GABRIELLE BEGAN THE MOMENT she was banished.
He spent several days canvassing the area around the abbey* but she was nowhere to be found.
His spies told him that Percy was also in pursuit* but it wasn’t long before he gave up. No surprise there* Coswold thought. Percy was* and always would be* a quitter. He had* no doubt* returned to King John to whine about how unjustly he’d been treated.
Coswold was not that easily discouraged. Thinking that Gabrielle had no alternative but to go home* he headed south* speeding in the direction her servants had taken. He intercepted their caravan near the English border where they had made camp for the night. After hours of threats and bullying* Coswold was finally convinced they knew nothing. He allowed the frightened band of travelers to continue on their journey* but not before he confiscated Gabrielle’s trunks* claiming that they should be held at Arbane Abbey until such time that Gabrielle would come to fetch them.
Frustrated but not deterred* he returned to the Highlands. Gabrielle was hiding somewhere in this uncivilized* godforsaken land* and Baron Coswold would find her.
In the week that followed* he spent most of his time watching and listening. The rumors were many* and with each scrap of information Coswold became more convinced that Gabrielle had remained in the Highlands.
One rumor persisted. Coswold heard thirdhand that Gabrielle had been taken in by the MacHugh clan* but he was unsure how to make certain the information was correct. The Highlanders were a close-knit group* and Coswold knew that if he sent out inquiries on her whereabouts* word would reach Laird MacHugh in no time at all* and the laird would hide Gabrielle away where no one could find her. The risk was too great. The baron had spent a good deal of time coming up with a plan to lure Gabrielle into the open.
He was ready for his next step: verifying that Gabrielle was indeed with the MacHughs.
For this* he called on Laird MacKenna. The laird knew men who would not be recognized in this part of the Highlands and who would do anything for money. Once MacKenna’s men were gathered in front of him* Coswold explained what he wanted done.
“The plan is simple*” he told the men. “You will carry Gabrielle’s things to the MacHugh holding. You will insist on seeing Gabrielle before handing them over. Explain that you must be certain she receives them.”
“But what if they won’t let us see her?” one of the men asked.
“Tell them the order came from the abbot. That her trunks had been returned to the abbey and that he had been holding them in safekeeping until he knew where she was.”
“What do we do when we’ve seen her?”
“You do nothing*” Coswold stressed. “Leave her things with her* return to me* and receive your payment.”
“Payment of gold and women?”
“Yes.”
“What if she ain’t there?” another asked.

“Then you will bring her things back to me.”
“Will we still get paid in coin and women?”
Coswold assured them that they would* and sent them on their way. He didn’t anticipate any problems. His plan was flawless.
Nothing could go wrong.

T WO MORE DAYS PASSED WITHOUT THE PROMISED MEETING* and Gabrielle still hadn’t had an opportunity to speak to Colm in private. No matter how early she got up in the morning* he was already gone. And when he came in late at night* he took his meals alone* then disappeared.
She was beginning to think he never went to bed* but he didn’t look as if he lacked sleep—unless she considered his mood an indicator. In the brief encounters they’d had in passing* he’d either ignored her or had grumbled about something she had done to displease him.
She had convinced herself that he was deliberately avoiding her* but then Maurna changed her mind. The housekeeper was in a chatty mood as she swept the hall on that third morning.
“The laird has not had a minute’s peace since Liam was taken*” she said* shaking her head.
“He says he won’t rest until he finds the men responsible. He’s led men out every day looking for anyone who knows something.” Maurna moved a stool aside as she continued. “And then word came three days ago that thieves had stolen cattle from Seamus MacAlister’s valley* so the laird and his men have been out searching for those culprits as well. He didn’t find them until yesterday…and if those worries aren’t enough* he arrived home last night to find a war brewing between Heckert* the smith* and Edwin* the butcher. Those two are always at odds about something…”
She chattered on and on about various incidents involving the laird* and Gabrielle listened patiently. She was tremendously relieved to discover that she was not the reason he was absent* but she was also anxious to find a time to talk to him. Gabrielle was becoming desperate to unburden her conscience.
She felt so alone. There was no one she could confide in or share her problems with. Most nights she would have supper with Liam* and spend the evening playing a table game. His favorite was Fox and Geese* and he would rush to get the board and pegs the minute the trenchers had been cleared away. Gabrielle enjoyed his company* but their conversation never turned to serious matters. She couldn’t tell him about her role in his rescue. Colm was the laird* the man who had taken her in* the man who would marry her. She should first tell him her startling news.
She didn’t want to burden Father Gelroy with her worries. There wasn’t anything he could do about it anyway* except worry with her* and what would that accomplish? She had not spent much time with the priest these last few days. Now that he was trusted by the clan* he was invited into their homes to eat with the families and to bless their children. He was kept very busy and seemed to thrive on the new demands on his time.
Nor could she talk with her guards. It wouldn’t be proper to pour her heart out to them.
She would never burden them with her problems.
She fretted in silence.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-03-11, 12:49 AM   #24

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Bravo

Her main concern was for her father. Was he safe? Or had the king already imprisoned him? Oh God* she prayed* please keep him from harm. Had Baron Geoffrey had time to gather his vassals* and if he did* would they fight against the king’s favored barons and their armies? Brodick had suggested that once her father heard that Gabrielle was still in the Highlands* he would rush to the Buchanans. But she had heard nothing from them. If her father was safe* why hadn’t he sent word?
Gabrielle couldn’t wait any longer. Tomorrow she would go to the Buchanans. Brodick knew her father* and he might offer some suggestions to help find him.
She didn’t worry that Colm would deny her permission to leave the holding because she wasn’t going to ask him.
Gabrielle strolled toward the fields as she formulated her plan. Cheers coming from the hill drew her attention. She looked to its crest. Several people—some old* some young—were gathered under the tree where she had recently sat with Faust* watching Colm and his soldiers’ exercises.
A girl running to join her friends paused long enough to curtsy to Gabrielle* then dashed away as her friend called to her. “Liam is back in training today*” she announced. “He’s feeling ever so much better.”
And he was looking ever so much better to the girls* too* Gabrielle thought. Eventually Liam would settle down* and God help the woman he chose for his wife. Most certainly she would have her hands full with his mischief.
Gabrielle hurried down the hill. Her stomach grumbled* reminding her that it was the noon hour. Maurna had served her that paste for breakfast again* and Gabrielle had been unable to make herself eat more than two bites. Willa had urged Gabrielle to eat it all* claiming it would stick to her ribs. Why Gabrielle would want that to happen was beyond her. She thought the very idea disgusting.
She had almost reached the courtyard when a woman approached from behind and tapped her on her shoulder.
“Lady Gabrielle?”
Gabrielle turned. “Yes?” There was a time when she would have had a ready smile* but no longer. She had since learned caution and was now wary meeting anyone new.
“I haven’t had a chance to meet you*” the pretty woman said. “My name is Fiona* and I come from the Dunbar clan. My father is Laird Dunbar. I was recently married. Devin* my husband* is one of Laird MacHugh’s most trusted clansmen.”
“It is my pleasure to meet you.” Gabrielle was polite but tentative with her response.
Fiona didn’t smile. She was a hearty woman* with a ruddy complexion* freckles* and green eyes the color of new grass. Her long* red* curly hair was* without a doubt* her best feature.
Her eyes slanted down at the corners* giving her a look of overwhelming sadness.
“By now I’m sure you know who my sister is.”
“No* I don’t believe so. Is she also married to a MacHugh?”
Fiona acted surprised* though Gabrielle could see through her pretense. “What is it you wish to say to me?” Gabrielle asked.
“My sister Joan is betrothed to Laird MacHugh.”
Had the woman wanted to shock Gabrielle* she’d accomplished her goal.
But Gabrielle recovered quickly. “Be sure to give your sister my congratulations.”
Fiona’s eyes widened. “Yes…I will.”
As Gabrielle walked away* Fiona called out to her* “You’ll be able to meet her yourself soon. Joan will be here in a few days.”
Gabrielle pretended not to hear. She saw Lucien waiting for her in the courtyard and rushed toward him.

“Princess* your face is bright red* but it isn’t warm enough today for the sun to burn you.”
“The wind makes my face red*” she explained* surprised at how calm she sounded. Inside she was seething. “Do you happen to know where Laird MacHugh is?” I wish to kill him* she silently added.
“No* I don’t. Would you like me to find him for you?”
She shook her head. “No* I’ll let him live a little longer.”
She didn’t realize she had spoken the thought out loud until Lucien asked her to repeat it.
“I’ll find him later*” she said. Then I’ll kill him.
“Did you want to go riding this afternoon?”
“No* I think I’ll stay inside and finish my needlework. It’s relaxing and gives me something useful to do.”
“If you don’t need me* I’ll go help Faust. He’s making arrows and fashioning them like the MacHughs’. Theirs are so much stronger and thinner* which allows for more distance and speed. You’ll have to try one* Princess. You’re sure to be impressed.”
“There is that much difference?”
“Let me get one of mine and one of theirs to show you.”
A short time later Lucien came into the hall carrying two arrows. He placed them on the table. Gabrielle had just finished eating a wedge of coarse brown bread with honey. She pushed her trencher aside and took the MacHugh arrow in her hands to feel the weight.
“The shaft is thinner* but seems to be strong. The fletchings are strange to me.”
Maurna heard her mistress’s comment. She hurried to the table to clear away the food* and leaning over Gabrielle’s shoulder said* “Looks to be from a goose to me.”
Their attention was drawn to the stairs* as Colm and Liam entered the hall together.
Gabrielle placed the arrow on the table and turned to the brothers.
“There is good news*” Liam said. “Your clothes and much more will arrive shortly. There is quite a procession of men carrying the goods. Surely they can’t all be garments* can they?”
Gabrielle was puzzled and directed her questions to Colm. “How is that possible? The staff took my possessions back to Wellingshire. How can they be here now?”
“They came from the abbey*” he explained.
“Did my father send them back? Is there word from him?” Her face lit up with excitement over the possibility.
Colm hated to disappoint her. “No* there is no word from your father.”
Her eyes quickly filled with tears. “I had hoped…”
Liam elbowed Colm and tilted his head toward Gabrielle.
“Come here* Gabrielle*” Colm commanded.
She blinked her tears away* straightened her shoulders* and crossed the room to face him.
“Yes?”
“Perhaps you will hear something from your father tomorrow*” Liam suggested when Colm stayed silent.
“Perhaps*” she said softly. And perhaps the sun will turn black tomorrow* too* she thought.
Colm tilted her chin up. “Brodick and I are both trying to find out where he is. I know it is difficult* but you must be patient.”
“He could still be at Wellingshire.”
He nodded. “I have sent a messenger into England.”

“You have?”
She was so surprised by his thoughtfulness* she didn’t know what to say or think about him. Had she been wrong to judge him so harshly? Maybe he wasn’t such an ogre after all.
Then she remembered Joan.
When Gabrielle’s tear-filled eyes squinted into a frown* Colm was perplexed. Now what was wrong? He would never understand her. He had thought she would be happy to hear that he was trying to find her father. Aye* she should be damned pleased. She certainly shouldn’t be looking like she wanted to strangle him.
Gabrielle decided that now wasn’t the time to talk to him about Joan. She would need privacy for that discussion as well.
“Colm* do you remember I asked for a moment alone with you?”
“I remember.”
“I’m going to need a lot more time.”
Liam nodded to Lucien* then went to the table and poured himself a goblet of water. He noticed the arrows. “What are those doing here?”
Lucien answered. “I wanted to show the differences between the two. Princess* if you don’t mind* I will go help Faust now.” Her loyal guard bowed to her and left the hall.
Colm picked up both arrows. “Who do these belong to?” he asked.
“What color is the marking on the fletching?” she asked.
He turned an arrow over in his hand examining it.
Thinking he didn’t understand what she meant* she walked over to him* leaned into his side* and pointed to the color in the center of each feather. “Saffron. See? Saffron is Lucien’s color.”
“Why did he mark it?” Liam asked.
“So that he would know it belonged to him. When we practice* sometimes our arrows are so close together on the target* the only way to know who is dead center is by the color.”
“You use a bow?” Colm asked.
“Yes* I do. I don’t always practice with my guards* just sometimes. If you’ll excuse me* I’d like to go upstairs and find my needlework. I seem to have misplaced it.”
She was halfway across the floor when Colm ordered her to stop.
“What color does Faust mark his arrows with?”
“Red.”
“Christien?”
“Green.”
“And Stephen?”
“Purple.”
“And yours?” he asked.
“Blue. I mark mine blue.”
Colm stood watching the stairs for a long minute after she had left. Then he went to the stone mantel and picked up the broken arrow he’d pulled from the dead man at Finney’s Flat.
The marking was blue.

C OLM HELD THE PROOF IN HIS HANDS* AND YET HE STILL couldn’t believe it.
Was it possible? Had Gabrielle been at Finney’s Flat* and had she witnessed the atrocity?
His sweet and gentle Gabrielle had taken one of her arrows* notched it to her bow* and shot the bastard in the chest.
No* she couldn’t have done it. She didn’t have the stomach for killing.
Yet the proof was in his hands.
“Colm* what’s the matter with you?” Liam asked. “You’ve been staring at that broken arrow for a good long while.”
His mind racing* he didn’t answer his brother. He remembered how Gabrielle had jumped to her feet to defend the priest when he’d been prodded to tell them how Liam had gotten to the abbey.
She was there…and so were her guards. Had Stephen or one of the others used one of her arrows to make the kill? Aye* that’s what must have happened. Gabrielle didn’t have the mettle to take a life.
Colm called to Maurna* asking her to tell Gabrielle he wanted to speak to her. The housekeeper saw the look in her laird’s eyes and hurried to do his bidding. Something had riled his temper* and she hoped to heaven Lady Gabrielle wasn’t the cause. The genteel lady would be most upset if the laird raised his voice to her.
Maurna tapped on Gabrielle’s door. “The laird’s waiting to talk to you.”
The housekeeper opened the door and peeked in. Gabrielle sat on the bed with her needlework in her lap.
“Milady* I think there’s some trouble brewing. The laird’s unhappy about something. I wouldn’t make him wait on you.”
Maurna continued to whisper advice as she followed her mistress down the stairs. “If he shouts* don’t you pay any mind. He won’t hurt you.”
“Has he ever shouted at you* Maurna?”
“No* he hasn’t* but there’s always the worry that he might. I’d probably faint dead away.”
Gabrielle thought the housekeeper’s concern for her was sweet. “Don’t worry. I won’t faint.”
“Even so* you might want to sit down while he tells you what’s bothering him* just in case you get lightheaded. I don’t want you bumping your head falling down. ’Course our laird is quick. He’ll probably catch you.”
Maurna didn’t follow Gabrielle into the hall. “Maybe it’s not about you* milady. Maybe he’s displeased about something else.”
Colm was talking to his brother when Gabrielle walked in. Liam stood and smiled at her* and she could see how tired he was. Getting back his strength was an arduous task. She then turned her attention to Colm. He wasn’t smiling.
“Did you wish to speak to me?” she asked.
“Come closer. I have something to show you.” He held up the broken arrow. He expected an immediate reaction* but she looked only mildly curious. “Do you recognize this* Gabrielle?”
She moved closer* saw the markings* and said* “It’s one of my arrows.”
“It’s broken.”
“I can see that it is*” she agreed. “Where did you find it? I haven’t hunted with my bow and arrows since I came here.”

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-03-11, 12:50 AM   #25

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Chirolp Krackr

“I found it at Finney’s Flat.”
“At Finney’s…” Her eyes widened* and she took a step back. “At Finney’s Flat* you say.
How did it get there I wonder.”
“I thought perhaps you could tell me. Would you like to know exactly where and when I found it?”
She already knew. “It’s broken* Colm. You might as well throw it away.”
Liam leaned back against the table* desperately trying to follow the tense conversation.
“Will one of you tell me what’s going on?” he demanded.
“This is the arrow I pulled out of the dead man at Finney’s Flat* Liam. He was on the ground by the hole the bastards had dug for you.”
“Are you saying…”
Gabrielle glanced at Liam and said* “It’s my arrow. That is what Colm is saying.”
“You will now answer my questions without hesitation*” Colm ordered. “Were you at Finney’s Flat?”
“Yes.”
“When I was there?” Liam sounded like he was choking.
Impatience made her voice sharp. “For God’s sake* Liam* try to keep up. Yes* I was there when you were.”
“Which one of your guards killed the bastard with your arrow?”
“None of them did. I killed him.”
Hearing a loud gasp* Gabrielle saw Maurna and Willa peeking out from the buttery.
She leaned around Colm and called out* “The man really did need killing.”
Willa’s head was bobbing up and down* and Maurna’s mouth was gaping open.
Colm threaded his fingers through his hair in agitation. “All this while I’ve been trying to find out…why in God’s name didn’t you tell…” He shook his head in a futile attempt to clear it and said* “Were you ever going to tell me?”
“I have been trying. I’ve asked you over and over again for a moment of your time.”
“There is a difference between sweetly asking me for time and telling me the matter was of the utmost importance.”
She poked him in his chest. “How was I to know which magical words I should use to get your attention?”
She was aware that she sounded like a shrew. Maurna had worried how Gabrielle would react if the laird shouted at her* and now she was raising her voice to him.
Stephen took this most inopportune time to enter the hall. “Princess* is there a problem?”
She didn’t answer. Colm did. “Damn right* there is.”
Gabrielle turned to Stephen. “He knows*” she said on a sigh.
“Ah.” Her guard looked at Colm as he asked her* “Did you tell him?”
“He figured it out. It was my arrow* Stephen. We forgot to remove it.”
“The arrow. Of course. I never thought about the markings. I cannot believe I was so careless.”
“You were busy carrying Liam from the field. Do not fault yourself. Colm was bound to find out eventually* and I had already decided it was time for me to tell him the truth.”
Colm eyed both of them skeptically. “And just why did you keep this a secret?”

Stephen answered. “We didn’t know who the men were or where they came from* and therefore we didn’t know what the repercussions would be once the body was found.”
“You were concerned about the ramifications because you killed the man?” Colm asked Stephen.
“No* because I killed the man*” Gabrielle answered.
“Is this true?” he asked Stephen.
“Yes*” he said. His pride was evident when he added* “Princess Gabrielle is more accurate with her bow than we are. There was no time to waste or consider consequences. The coward had raised his sword and fully intended to cut Liam in half. She stopped him.” Nodding* Stephen said* “It was a clean* quick kill.”
Gabrielle watched Colm’s face intently as he mulled over what they were telling him.
What must he be thinking of her now? Since he’d met her* she had gone from a whore to a cold-blooded killer. What lovely words to describe the woman he was to marry. She almost felt sorry for him.
Colm put his hands on Gabrielle’s shoulders and forced her to stand in front of him. “You will explain everything that happened. And when you are finished* Stephen will give me his accounting.”
Gabrielle was relieved to finally get it all out in the open. She quickly recounted what she could remember* beginning with her goal to see Finney’s Flat.
“As we approached the clearing* we heard voices* so we hid and didn’t make ourselves known.”
“Did you see any faces?”
“Not at first. They wore robes with hoods. But a couple of them pulled the hoods back* and we did see them.”
“And what about names?”
“Yes* they were arguing with one another* and they used their given names* but we didn’t hear any names of clans or families. The leader’s name was Gordon. He’s the man I killed.”
“What were they arguing about?”
Gabrielle glanced sympathetically at Colm’s brother before answering. “They wanted Liam to wake up so he would know he was being buried alive* and they argued over how they would put him in the grave.”
“But they weren’t going to bury him until they saw you on the ridge* Laird*” Stephen interjected.
Colm clasped his hands behind his back and paced to the hearth. Deep in thought* he stared at the fire. “Did they say why they needed to see me there?”
“Yes* Laird*” Stephen answered. “Liam was the bait. They were using him to get to you.”

C OLM VOWED HE WOULD FIND THE BASTARDS. HE DIDN’T care how long it took—one year* ten* or a lifetime—he would keep hunting until he had killed every last one of them. And before they died* they would tell him the name of the man who gave them their orders* for surely such a deliberate attack by strangers was masterminded by someone with something to gain. By all that was holy* there would be justice.
As it turned out* it didn’t take a lifetime or even a year. Just one afternoon. And Colm didn’t have to hunt them down. They came to him.

AFTER STEPHEN AND GABRIELLE had reported what they had heard at Finney’s Flat* Liam paced back and forth venting his fury.
“You heard what Stephen said. They spoke our language* but their accent was different* more guttural. They must have come from the lowlands or the border. I say we call together all of our men and our allies and tear apart every inch of land from here to the border until we find them. Bury me alive? Cut me in half? Son of a whore!” Liam’s anger and his impatience for reprisal spilled out in every word.
Arms folded* Colm stood quietly in front of the hearth. He allowed his brother to voice his rage until Liam began describing how he thought each of his attackers should die.
“Gabrielle doesn’t need to hear this* Liam.”
“They’ll suffer. I swear to God* they’ll scream for mercy*” he vowed. Spent now from his tirade* Liam dropped into a chair.
“You know we’ll find them*” Colm said.
“Yes*” Liam answered. “I know.”
With tempers at last under control* the two brothers began to formulate plans.
Since Colm was occupied with Stephen and Liam* Gabrielle thought this might be the perfect time for her to slip away. Twice she had tried to leave the hall* and twice Colm had pulled her back. He finally anchored her to his side by putting his arm around her. She wasn’t going anywhere until he allowed it.
Poor Father Gelroy strolled into the hall seeking his noon meal and was immediately stopped and questioned at length. The priest looked relieved that the truth was out at last* then looked appalled when he found out Gabrielle had taken a man’s life.
Gabrielle felt worn thin* but she was also relieved that it was all finally out in the open.
Telling Colm the truth had been exhausting work. She leaned against him and relaxed. The terrible burden had been lifted and given to him. She didn’t doubt that he would find the men who hurt Liam and was thankful he had stopped his brother from describing the gruesome manner in which they would die.
When Colm let Stephen return to the field and Father Gelroy was allowed to go to the kitchens in search of food* Gabrielle was finally alone with him* but not for long.
He let go of her. “Gabrielle—” he began.
Maurna interrupted. “Begging your pardon* Laird* but they’re here. If you don’t have time now* I could stand them in the corner and let them squirm until you’re ready to punish them.”
Following on Maurna’s heels was another servant. “The winch is broken* and the men can’t get the big stones up to the top. They’re thinking you should look at it.”
Colm nodded. “I’ll be there in just a minute* Emmett.”
Gabrielle could have taken her leave then* but she stayed where she was and watched as Maurna half dragged* half pushed two little boys into the hall. Both had their heads down.
Colm dismissed Maurna and ordered the boys to tell him what they had done.
He towered over them* and Gabrielle could only imagine what they must be thinking when they looked up at such a giant. Neither seemed afraid* though* as each tried to outtalk the other.
Colm raised his hand. “One at a time. Ethan* you will go first* and Tom* you will stop staring at Lady Gabrielle and pay attention to me.”
“Yes* Laird* but is she your lady?” Tom asked.
“Yes she is* now be silent while I hear what Ethan has to say.”
“Yes* Laird* but are you going to marry with her?” Ethan asked.

Colm showed remarkable patience. His expression was stern* but the boys felt comfortable with him or they wouldn’t have asked so many questions.
Gabrielle thought they were the most adorable boys. They couldn’t have been more than five years old* and though they weren’t identical* it was apparent they were twins. Both had freckles and big brown eyes with a bit of the devil in them.
Three times Colm had to remind them why they were there* and finally Ethan told his story.
“See* Laird* what we did was…” he began.
Those were the only words Gabrielle understood. Tom kept interrupting and correcting* and the story became so convoluted that by the time they finished* she didn’t have the faintest idea what their transgression was.
Then Tom* a bit more precocious than Ethan* felt he should have a turn. His explanation was just as nonsensical.
The boys were in constant motion* rocking back and forth and side to side* elbowing each other and peeking at her.
Apparently Colm understood what they had told him. “You will not go into the kitchens unless you are invited.”
“Yes* Laird* but could we go inside when we want to play with the cat?”
“No* you may not.”
“Yes* Laird*” Ethan said. “But could we maybe look inside sometimes?”
“You may go into the kitchen only when you are invited by Willa. Do you understand?”
“Yes* Laird*” Tom said. “But could we—”
“No* you could not. Now you will go to Willa and you will apologize to her.”
The boys nodded their heads. “Yes* Laird*” they recited in unison.
“And then you will go to your aunt and apologize to her.”
“Yes* Laird* but we didn’t spill her flour.”
“You will apologize for getting into mischief.”
“Yes* Laird* but could we—”
“Enough* Tom.” His tone was deliberately harsher* and he got just the reaction he wanted.
Their eyes widened* and they nodded again. Liam coughed to cover his laughter.
Colm said* “I don’t want to hear any arguments. I will decide what your punishment will be. Come back to me tomorrow* and I will tell you what you must do.”
The boys ran toward the buttery and then made a detour to the table* where Liam was sitting.
“Liam* are you better now?” Ethan asked.
“Yes* I am better.”
“Can we see your back?” Tom asked. “Where you got hurt?”
“No* you cannot.”
“Yes* Liam* but could we see—”
Liam smiled at the boys and tousled their hair. “You have done something very good today.”
The boys beamed at the unexpected praise.
“We have?” Ethan asked in astonishment.
“Yes* you have*” Liam said.

“What did we do?” Tom wondered.
“You have shown me that there is still innocence in the world*” Liam explained. “Now leave before the laird decides what your punishment is.” As soon as they were out of sight* he said* “They lighten my mood.”
“They do not seem overly contrite*” Gabrielle remarked.
“That’s because they aren’t*” Colm answered.
“What punishment will you give them?” Liam asked.
“I’m open to suggestions. So far they’ve been banned from the stables* the fields* the hills beyond* the armory* and now the kitchens.”
“Where is their father?” Gabrielle asked.
“Gone.”
She assumed that meant the man had died and didn’t ask for further explanation.
“Begging your indulgence* Laird* but about that winch…” Emmett* who had been waiting patiently in the corner* said.
“I’m coming*” Colm answered.
Liam pushed himself up from the chair and walked over to Gabrielle. Colm was heading for the stairs* but stopped cold when Liam pulled Gabrielle into his arms and hugged her.
Gabrielle was so startled she stiffened for a few seconds.
“What do you think you’re doing?” Colm demanded.
“Showing Lady Gabrielle my appreciation.”
Colm felt a rush of possessiveness. No man had the right to touch what belonged to him* not even his brother.
“Let go of her.”
Liam ignored him. He kissed Gabrielle’s forehead* leaned down close to her ear* and whispered* “Thank you.”
Just as Colm was about to rip Liam away from Gabrielle* his brother let go and walked out of the hall.
At first* Gabrielle was taken by surprise by Liam’s sudden gesture* but as he left* she realized that showing his gratitude was actually a sweet* thoughtful thing to do. He had been quite gentle when he pulled her to him.
Colm was far from gentle when he grabbed her and wrapped his arms around her. He started to say something* then changed his mind and kissed her instead. His mouth took absolute possession in a kiss meant to melt any resistance she might have had.
Each kiss was more wonderful than the one before* but what happened after remained the same. Colm walked away without sparing her a backward glance* leaving her dazed. Gabrielle stared after him as he disappeared from view. She didn’t think she was ever going to understand him.
With the weight of a heavy burden lifted from her shoulders and most of the afternoon still ahead of her* she decided to get some fresh air and walked to the stable to give Rogue a sweet treat. Then she went in search of Faust and Lucien. She found them sitting on a knoll behind the keep* working on their arrows. Lucien was using a rag to oil the shaft of an arrow while Faust attached the fletching to another arrow. She sat next to Faust and helped with the feathers. The two men spoke in their native tongue* and she listened while Faust told Lucien that Colm now knew that they’d been at Finney’s Flat. After a pleasant hour had passed* Gabrielle asked the two guards if they would ride with her outside the holding. Lucien wanted to keep working* so Faust saddled two horses for them.
Gabrielle could tell Rogue was eager to run. As soon as they were past the fortress wall* she turned north* gave him his head* and let him race to the top of the first hill* then she slowed his gait as she rode beside Faust into the open countryside.
“Should we head back?” Faust asked after a few minutes passed. “The caravan with your trunks should be here soon. I wonder if the abbot remembered to send the statue of St. Biel.
Father Gelroy will want to put it in front of the chapel.”
“The chapel that doesn’t exist yet*” she said. “It can stay in the storage room until one is built.”
“Maybe someday your father will send the larger statue of our saint* the one that stood in the courtyard outside your mother’s room. It was a gift from your grandfather before she left St. Biel.” A fleeting look of sadness passed over his eyes when he added* “There should be snow in the mountains of St. Biel by now.”
Gabrielle could see that the guard was becoming nostalgic and perhaps a little homesick* and she felt a pang of guilt for pulling him even farther from his homeland.
“You will return soon* I think*” she said.
He smiled. “That is what Stephen says* but you must be married before we leave…”
“And you must know that I will be safe.”
“We already have faith that your laird won’t let any harm come to you.”
“Soon then you will be complaining about the bitter cold and snow.”
He nodded. “Soon.”
They rode down the hills and continued on to the ridge overlooking Finney’s Flat.
Gabrielle knew the sentries wouldn’t allow her to go farther. She slowed the pace to accommodate the curve in the trail. They rounded a hill to where the path straightened* and Gabrielle suddenly pulled hard on the reins. A procession was heading in their direction.
Three narrow carts laden with trunks and bundles led by a half dozen men on horses were less than a stone’s throw away.
“Oh God*” she whispered.
Before Faust could ask what was wrong* she jerked on the reins to turn Rogue around and goaded him into a gallop.
Faust raced to keep up. When they were almost back to the holding* he called to her*
“Princess* what is wrong?”
“Those men…they’re here. I cannot believe my eyes. Call the others. Hurry* Faust.”
When they reached the stables* Gabrielle jumped down and handed Rogue’s reins over to a stable boy. Had she had her wits about her* she would have ridden to the courtyard* but she ran instead. Questions raced through her head. She had to be sure. Were these the same men?
And if they were* what were they doing at the MacHugh holding? This didn’t make sense.
Gabrielle had to be certain before she condemned them. Faust hadn’t recognized them because he had stayed with the horses in the forest* but the others had gone with her to the clearing at Finney’s Flat. They had seen some of the men* but not as clearly as she had. If only she could hear them speak* then she could know for certain. She would recognize their voices.
Faust called the other guards with two long piercing whistles. Stephen was instructing the young MacHugh warriors and had just notched an arrow to his bow when he heard the whistles. Without a word of explanation* he dropped the bow and arrow and ran.

Christien was just about to show a soldier how to use leverage against an opponent in hand-to-hand combat. When he heard the whistle* he tossed the young man to the ground and leaped over him on his way toward the sound.
Lucien and Faust were with Gabrielle by the time Stephen and Christien arrived. With her guards surrounding her* she told what she had seen.
Stephen agreed that she must be certain before she told the laird.
“They would be fools to come here*” Lucien said.
“That is exactly what I was thinking*” she said.
“But Princess* why would they be afraid to come here? They don’t know we saw them*”
Christien pointed out.
“Did any of you see their faces clearly?” she asked.
“I didn’t see them. I stayed with the horses*” Faust said.
“I didn’t see all of them*” Stephen replied. “I remember moving behind you so you could have a clear shot with your arrow. The hoods of their capes still covered them.”
“I don’t know if I would remember what they looked like*” Lucien admitted.
“The princess saw all of them* and she will remember*” Christien said. “Trust yourself*” he told Gabrielle.
“When I hear their voices* I will be certain.”
The sound of the horses’ hooves on the drawbridge drew their attention. The caravan had arrived. Sentries stopped them at the gate. Only the horses pulling the carts were allowed to cross* and the men riding their own mounts were ordered to leave them outside the walls and walk the rest of the way. The men on foot walked ahead of the carts and made their way up the incline toward Gabrielle and her guards. The closer they came* the faster Gabrielle’s heart raced. When they were close enough for her to see their faces clearly* fear gripped her.
Unaware that they were walking to their doom* the men laughed and talked to one another.
Gabrielle heard their voices* but she already knew: they were indeed the same men.
Stephen didn’t take his eyes off them as he asked* “Princess?”
“Yes* now I’m certain*” she whispered.
The guards moved protectively closer to her.
“Faust* go and find the laird.”
“That be her?” one of the men asked.
“They told us she’s got black hair and is fair to look at*” another said. “If those men would move away from her* I could get a good look.”
“We can’t give over the trunks until we know for sure it’s her.”
One man dropped his voice to a whisper. “Let’s get this over with quick. I ain’t stayin’
around to meet the laird.”
Colm had been working with the stonemasons on the winch at the side of the keep. He rounded the corner with a frayed rope in his hands just as Faust called to him.
The visitors formed a line in front of the first cart. The tallest stepped forward and with an air of importance announced* “We brung the Lady Gabrielle’s trunks. We’ll leave them if you will tell us if that woman be her.” He pointed to Gabrielle.
No one answered him.
Colm walked over to Gabrielle. “What’s this?” he asked.

His nearness gave her strength* but she couldn’t stop her hand from trembling when she touched his arm. “I would like you to meet the men who have brought my things to me.” She took a step forward* but Stephen stopped her from taking another. “I am Lady Gabrielle.”
The spokesman eyed MacHugh nervously as he said to Gabrielle* “Then these be your trunks.”
“Yes* they are.”
“We brung them from the abbey.”
Gabrielle turned to Colm. “These men will be of interest to you.”
Colm looked them over. “Why is that?” he asked.
With her back to the infidels* she whispered* “They like to dig holes.”

“Y OU’RE CERTAIN OF THIS* GABRIELLE?” COLM ASKED.
“Yes.”
Gabrielle couldn’t tell what Colm was thinking. She whispered* “Do you want me to give you their names? I remember all of them.”
He didn’t look at her when he answered* “That won’t be necessary. Go inside* Gabrielle* and stay there.”
His control amazed her. She knew rage had to be surging through his veins* but he wasn’t letting anything show.
Without being asked* Christien ran in search of Braeden* feeling the laird’s commander should know what was going on.
As Lucien and Faust were escorting her inside* Gabrielle looked back over her shoulder.
Colm walked toward the condemned men. With terror-stricken eyes* they retreated and scrambled around the carts* only to find dozens of armed MacHugh warriors coming up the hill behind them.
The door closed behind her* and she climbed the steps to the great hall. She didn’t hear any sounds coming from outside—it was deadly quiet—and neither guard would allow her to look out the window. One hour passed* then another and another. And still not a sound from outside. Despite Lucien’s and Faust’s attempts to divert her attention* Gabrielle’s apprehension grew.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-03-11, 12:51 AM   #26

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Chirolp Krackr

As the sun was setting* Stephen came into the hall. He was alone.
“Princess* your trunks have been placed in the storage room.”
“Thank you. Tomorrow will be soon enough to go through them. Do you happen to know if Colm will be coming soon?”
“The laird has left the holding. I doubt he’ll be back tonight.”
“Milady* your supper’s on the table waiting for you*” Maurna announced.
“I thought I would wait for the laird and his brother…”
“They have both left the holding*” Stephen said.
“Just the two of them?”
“No.”
He would say nothing more.
Gabrielle learned more from Maurna than from any of her guards.

“A fair number of our clansmen went with our laird. And the strangers who brought your things went with them* too. From the looks of things* I don’t think they wanted to go* but you can’t say no to the laird* can you?”
It was apparent that Maurna didn’t know who these strangers were or what they had done* and Gabrielle wasn’t about to tell her.
She went to bed early that night* but sleep didn’t come until the early-morning hours.
Colm didn’t return to the keep for five long days and nights. And when at last he came* he didn’t make a big announcement of his arrival. Gabrielle came down the stairs one morning and there he was* standing in front of the hearth. She was so surprised to see him* she nearly tripped on the last step. She nervously smoothed her gown and adjusted the braided belt resting on her hips. Had she known he was back* she would have taken more time and care with her appearance. She would have worn her emerald green gown* not this faded blue one* and she would have bound her hair up with a pretty ribbon. She wouldn’t have let it hang down around her shoulders.
She knew she looked drab* but it was actually his fault* she decided* because he hadn’t given her any warning.
“You’re home*” she said.
Colm turned and his fierce eyes hungrily took her in. Damn* but he had missed her. He missed her smiles* her frown* her laughter* and most of all he missed kissing her.
He wasn’t much for honeyed words. “You sleep your mornings away* Gabrielle.”
“You cannot even say hello to me before you begin to criticize?”
“Are you ill?”
“She’s not sleeping at night* Laird.” Maurna made the announcement as she carried a pitcher to the table. She placed it next to four goblets* bowed to her laird* and added* “Some nights she doesn’t go upstairs until the wee hours of the morning.”
“How do you know when I go upstairs?” Gabrielle asked.
“Garrett told David* and he told Aitken* who told my man* who told me.”
“But how would Garrett know?”
“He knew because Nevin told him. Do you want to know how Nevin knew?”
Dear God* no* she didn’t. She had a feeling this litany could go on all morning.
“Gabrielle* come here*” Colm ordered.
She crossed the hall to stand in front of him. She leaned up on tiptoes and kissed him full on the mouth. It was quick* but still a kiss. She stepped back* looked up at him* and said*
“Welcome home* Laird.”
And that* she believed* was a proper greeting. She folded her hands and waited for him to do the same.
“Why aren’t you sleeping at night?” he asked.
Ignoring the question* she asked* “Are you happy to be home? And if you are* you should tell me so. It is the courteous thing to do.”
“Yes* I am happy to be home* you daft woman. Now answer my question.”
Since he’d been smiling at her when he called her daft* she didn’t take offense.
“I don’t know.”
“Could you be worried about something?”
“Could I be worrying? What could I have to worry about? Could it be that I fear for my father since I have no notion of where he might be? Or might it be that my future husband leaves and doesn’t return for days on end? Could I be worried that something might have happened to him?”
“You would worry about me?”
She jabbed him in the chest. “And you call me daft?” She took a deep breath before continuing. “Yes* I was worried about you* but you were last on my list of worries.”
“You lie* Gabrielle* and not at all well.”
“I know you don’t want to marry me*” she began* “but—”
“I will marry you*” a voice from the entrance called.
Liam strode into the hall.
“No* you will not marry me* Liam*” she said in exasperation. “And I am trying to have a private conversation with Colm. Please leave.”
Colm put his arm around Gabrielle and pulled her close. “Lady Gabrielle has agreed to marry me.”
“Yes* I know she has* but you don’t want her* and I do*” said Liam. “She didn’t save your life* she saved mine* and I am forever in her debt.”
Colm was getting angry. “Do you think I would give her up to you or to any other man?”
“Then you do want her?” Liam retorted.
“Damn right* I do!”
Liam nodded* and with the most satisfied grin he said* “You might want to tell her so.”
Gabrielle and Colm heard him laughing as he descended the stairs.
Colm turned her in his arms and looked into her eyes. “I will never let you go* Gabrielle.”
She didn’t know what to say* which was probably just as well* because he didn’t give her time to do more than open her mouth.
His mouth covered hers* and his tongue thrust inside* demanding a response. She wrapped her arms around his neck and moved restlessly against him as his mouth slanted over hers again and again. Their kiss became carnal. She aroused him as no other woman could* and Colm knew if he didn’t stop now* he would lose all control.
When he ended the kiss* Gabrielle’s heart was pounding. She could barely catch her breath. She was jerked from her daze by a man’s voice.
“Laird* begging your pardon* but there are more problems with the winch.”
The stonemason was standing directly behind her. Colm waved the man away.
“Gabrielle* I noticed you haven’t asked me what happened when I left here.”
“Would you tell me if I asked?”
“No.”
“Then it is good that I don’t ask. I don’t think I want to hear what happened to those men. I might have nightmares.”
“Rest easy*” he said. “I did not have them buried alive.”
“That is exactly what I was worried about. You know my thoughts as well as I do. Liam was so distraught* and he threatened to do such terrible things.” She sighed. “But you did not bury them alive.” She tilted her head and studied his face for several seconds then dared to ask* “What did happen to them? Did you let them return home?”
“No.”
She knew not to prod him* fearing he would tell her exactly what the punishment had been.
Colm wasn’t the forgiving sort* nor was Liam.

“Were you able to find out who sent them after Liam?”
Before he could answer* two more clansmen came into the hall* begging his attention.
Colm ignored them* but Gabrielle couldn’t. “Your clan makes many demands on your time.”
“Yes* they do.”
“You’d best go.”
He nodded. “Yes* I’d best go.” He grabbed her hand as he walked past her and pulled her along. “Saddle my horse*” he ordered one of the men waiting. To another* he said* “I will not listen to any problems until this afternoon. Make that clear to those waiting.”
Gabrielle stepped out of the way to let a clansman carrying a bag of grain over his shoulder enter the open door of the storage room.
He nodded his greeting to her and turned to Colm. “Would you like me to help carry Lady Gabrielle’s clothes upstairs?”
Colm looked into the room and saw the trunks stacked on the floor. “You carry far too many possessions*” he criticized.
Gabrielle laughed. “Does everyone think these trunks are filled with gowns?”
The young man nodded. “The English have need for more than we do.”
“And the MacHughs have need to make judgments without knowing the facts*” she countered. “If you have a moment* I would like you to open one of my trunks.”
“For what purpose?” Colm asked.
“Open one and see for yourself.”
She had captured his curiosity. “Which one would you like me to open?”
“You choose.”
Colm pulled one trunk down from the stack and was surprised by the weight.
“Danen* grab one end*” he ordered.
“English clothes weigh more than a trunk filled with stone*” Danen grunted.
“Clothes don’t weigh this much* even English clothes.”
There were four latches. Colm unlocked each one* then lifted the lid. Bags stuffed full were packed inside.
Gabrielle suggested he use his dagger to pierce the cloth* and when he did* grains of salt spilled out.
He was astounded. “You bring salt.”
“Yes. Salt was one of my gifts to Laird Monroe* and now it’s yours.”
“Salt is more valuable than the most precious jewels*” Danen stammered. His green eyes were bright with excitement. “And much needed. Isn’t that true* Laird?”
Colm agreed with a nod. “Are all these trunks filled with salt?”
“All but one. You are pleased?”
“I am. If anyone had known what was inside these trunks* they never would have gotten here.”
He latched the locks and walked outside. A stable boy led Colm’s horse across the courtyard. The skittish animal had tried to rear up twice before Colm calmed him. The Black* as he was called* was a magnificent animal. He was twice the size of Rogue* but Gabrielle doubted his disposition was half as sweet. Colm lifted her onto The Black* then swung up behind her and took the reins.
“Where are we going?” she asked.

A woman carrying a basket hurried toward them. “Laird* if you have a minute* I need but a word about—”
“It will have to wait.”
He wrapped his arm around Gabrielle’s waist and held her tight against him as he nudged the giant horse forward. Gabrielle couldn’t imagine what had come over Colm. He wasn’t running from her to take care of the demands of his clan. Nay* he seemed now to be running from his clan to be with her.
Once they’d cleared the moat* Colm gave The Black a kick and raced into the wind. They didn’t stop until they reached a crest overlooking a beautiful glen with a brook meandering through it. He dismounted and lifted her to the ground. His hands lingered on her waist before he moved away.
“Come sit with me. We need to talk*” Colm said.
His tone worried her. “Is it bad news you have? Is that why you wanted me alone* so I wouldn’t disgrace you by weeping in front of your clan?”
“You could not disgrace me.”
She sat down by a tree and adjusted her skirts to cover her ankles. “I have learned to expect the worst.”
He knelt on one knee in front of her and cupped her chin in the palm of his hand.
“I brought you here so that we would not be interrupted* which* as you surely have noticed* happens quite frequently in my holding.”
“It happens because you don’t delegate. You should* you know. If you would give Braeden and the others* including your brother* more responsibility* you not only would take some of the burden off your shoulders* but you also would show them you have trust in them.
You aren’t the only one who can make a good decision.”
“I did not bring you here to have you lecture me.”
“But you will consider what I have said?”
He sat down next to her and leaned back against the tree. “I will*” he said* stretching his long legs out in front of him* then crossing one foot over the other.
He looked relaxed* she thought* but then so did lions before they pounced.
“If it were good news* you would have told me by now.”
“It’s neither good nor bad. Here is what I know. The men who brought your trunks would never have come to my home if they had known anyone had seen them at Finney’s Flat. I had the opportunity to question them at length.”
She didn’t ask him to explain what he meant by opportunity. “And they answered your questions?”
Did she possibly think he had given them a choice? Of course they had answered his questions. He made it all but impossible for them to refuse.
“They all insisted that they never knew the name of the man who hired them. Only their leader knew.”
“Gordon. He was their leader* and I killed him.” She patted his knee as though to console him. “I’m sorry.”
“Sorry about what?”
“Sorry you won’t ever find out who sent them after Liam.”
“MacKenna sent them.”
“But how…”

“I will explain* and you will hold your questions until I’m finished.” He waited for her nod and then said* “Baron Coswold had your trunks taken to the abbey. Almost immediately after you left the abbey* he and his soldiers began their search for you. So did the other one.”
“Percy?” Even his name repelled her* and she shivered with disdain. “The two of them are demons.”
“From what I understand* they have both been chasing rumors* trying to find you.
Coswold heard that you might be living with my clan* and he needed to find out for certain before he acted. What better way than to send your trunks with men who would report back to him.”
“The abbot didn’t send them?”
“At Coswold’s urging* he did. But I’m sure the abbot thought he was doing a kindness.
The problem was finding men to take them. Coswold couldn’t send Englishmen. They never would have gotten this far* and if by chance and luck they did* they would never have made it back to report to him.”
“But how did he…” She realized she was once again interrupting and stopped.
“The men Gordon hired didn’t know MacKenna was paying them* but MacKenna knew who they were. Gordon gave him their names.”
“How did you get this information?”
“It’s amazing what a man will remember when pressured to do so. The one named Hamish told me he heard Coswold and MacKenna had come to some sort of an arrangement. He called it a pact. Coswold knew King John wouldn’t give you to him* and so he promised you to MacKenna. He would get Finney’s Flat* and in return Coswold would be able to see you whenever he wanted. It’s my understanding they intended to share you.”
Gabrielle felt ill. “I did not think these men could sicken me any more than they already have* but now you tell me they meant to share me? As they would a wife? Oh* my God…”
She tried to get up* but Colm gently pulled her down beside him. “Another one of the outcasts admitted he overheard Coswold whispering to one of his confidants. Yes* Coswold wanted you in his bed* Gabrielle* but he also wanted information he believes you hide.”
Colm thought it peculiar that Gabrielle didn’t ask him if he had any idea what kind of information Coswold thought she might have.
“You know what he wants* don’t you?” he asked.
“Yes.”
“Gabrielle?”
She rested against his side. “He wants the treasure of St. Biel.”
She told him the legend as it had been told to her countless times.
“It is said that St. Biel’s King Grenier did not send all the gold to the pope* but hid it away.
It is also believed that the treasure is so vast* whoever finds it will have the power to rule the world. No one has ever found it* but it makes an interesting story.”
“So why does Coswold believe it exists?”
“I don’t know.”
“And why does he think you know where the treasure is?”
“There are some who believe that the secret was passed down from the king to his daughter* and she in turn passed it down to her daughter…”
“Did your mother ever talk about this treasure?”

“She told me all the stories. She thought that greed is why some believe this legendary treasure exists.”
“What about the people of St. Biel?” he asked. “Do they believe the myth?”
“Some do* others don’t. They have few needs. They have enough food to eat with fishing and hunting* and enough wood to heat their homes. They live a simple but rich life.”
“In other words* they wouldn’t want the gold.”
He had wrapped his arm around her waist* and she stroked it with her fingertips while she thought about her mother’s homeland. Her touch was as light as a feather* but had a powerful effect on him.
“Now it is my turn to ask you questions* Colm. You said that Coswold needed to be certain I was living with your clan before he acted. What does that mean? What do you think he intends to do?”
He shook his head. “I have yet to find out what is in his twisted mind* but I will* Gabrielle.”
“In the name of King John* he banished me* remember? And Percy was united with Coswold in condemning me. Yet you say* as soon as they left the abbey* they began to search for me?” Her fingers traced the scar on his hand. “How did you know I was innocent? You said you knew that Isla had lied.”
“The moon. She said the moon was bright and that she was able to see you* but it rained that night* Gabrielle. There was no moon. I know because I was searching for Liam* and it was too dark to continue. I had to wait until morning light.”
“I don’t think the monk lied. I believe he saw me when I went to look in on Liam.”
“That is what I think as well.”
“Are you betrothed to another woman?” She blurted the question before she lost her courage. “Lady Joan? Did you promise to marry her?”
“I was going to marry her.”
“When?”
“Three years past.”
“What happened?”
“Her father decided another alliance would make him stronger* so she was married to Laird Dunbar. Like Monroe* he was an older man.”
“She’s coming here* isn’t she?”
“I had not heard this* but she will be welcomed. Her sister is married to one of my men.”
The question she most wanted him to answer she couldn’t ask. Did he love Joan? And if Gabrielle asked* would he tell her the truth?
“What will you do about MacKenna?”
“Kill him.”
“Then you will go to war against the MacKenna clan?” she asked* and before he could answer* she added* “What if Coswold adds his army to MacKenna’s?”
“You will not worry about Coswold or Percy*” he replied. “They have no power over you.”
If that were true* why then was she so afraid?

K ing John was demanding an accounting* and Baron Coswold was fit to be tied. He had been ordered to meet with John at Newell’s castle* where the king was taking his leisure after a failed campaign against the Welsh. A large number of John’s barons were so incensed by their king’s attacks that they threatened to rise up against him. Coswold expected John to be in one of his black moods.
Percy had also been summoned to Newell’s castle to give his version of what had taken place at Arbane Abbey* and Coswold could only imagine the lies his enemy would tell.
Coswold allowed Isla to accompany him. He had grown accustomed to talking to her about his worries without concern that she would repeat anything he said. Her station in life was solely dependent upon his good graces* and she would do nothing to jeopardize it.
She took good care of him. She saw to his every comfort and made certain the servants ran his home to his liking. Coswold never walked into a chilled room or picked up an empty goblet. She knew what foods he liked and what foods he avoided. Coswold also knew that eventually he would have to take a wife so that he would have heirs* but even then he planned to keep Isla around to continue to do his bidding.
She had become even more solicitous since he’d allowed her to go with him to Arbane Abbey* and now she could barely hide her excitement. He knew why. She had heard that Percy would be there with the king. Oh* what a fool she was to think she would ever have a future with Coswold’s enemy. Back at Arbane Abbey when Isla had accused Gabrielle of whorish behavior* at first Coswold was annoyed at the spectacle* but then he realized it might be used to his advantage.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-03-11, 12:51 AM   #27

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Chirolp Krackr

“Are you eager to see Baron Percy again?” he asked her on the trip to Newell’s castle.
“It is true that I am.”
“Isla* he doesn’t even speak to you.”
“Yes* he does*” she insisted. “Upon occasion.”
“You waste your time longing for him.”
She hid her smile. “There is talk that he will soon be married.”
Coswold shrugged indifference. “Then he must have given up on Lady Gabrielle. It’s about time. He could never have her.”
“I think he wants another now*” she said.
He raised an eyebrow. “How would you know this?”
“Gossip*” she said hastily. “Have you heard from the men you told me you sent on an errand? You seemed to be worried when they didn’t return immediately.”
Coswold had told Isla he had hired men to take care of a matter for him* but he hadn’t told her what the errand was.
“No* I have not heard a word. It has been long enough for them to return to me. It is as though they* like my underling* Malcolm* have vanished into thin air.”
Isla knew Malcolm was afraid of Coswold. She had seen the big* ugly man at Coswold’s side and knew that he would kill if that was what her uncle ordered. Isla had heard that Malcolm had struck Lady Gabrielle with his fist. She was only sorry Malcolm hadn’t disfigured Gabrielle. Isla hadn’t any guilt over the pain her lie had caused.
“When did you last see Malcolm?” she asked* trying to sound concerned.
“We were searching the hills to the west of the abbey. One minute he was riding beside me* and the next time I looked* he was gone.”
“What were you searching for* Uncle?”

“Never you mind. Ah* we have finally arrived. You will be as quiet as a mouse if you are in the presence of King John. It is already going on sunset. I doubt I will have my audience with him until tomorrow.”
Coswold was very much mistaken. The king wanted to speak to the baron the minute he arrived. Coswold was not even allowed time to wash the dust from his hands.
Isla followed her uncle to the main hall* but stood just inside the door. She stood so close to the curtains that* had she wanted to* she could have hidden herself behind them without even being noticed.
The hall was three times the size of Coswold’s hall. It boasted two fireplaces* one on each end. The king sat behind a long table covered by a white cloth that was so long the hem touched the floor.
His Highness wore scarlet robes* identical to the color of the wine he spilled on the white cloth when he slammed the goblet down and stood.
John was not a handsome man. He was of average size with a protruding stomach* but to Isla he appeared a towering giant. She believed him to be as powerful as God* for he could destroy an entire country with one command. John had already proven to the world that he did not fear the pope. In fact* he profited from his own excommunication by confiscating church revenues. It was said that King John could steal the purity from a saint.
The dais John stood on made him appear much taller than Coswold* who bowed and then knelt before him. John had just given the baron permission to stand when the doors opened and Baron Percy strutted in. A woman about Isla’s age followed. Dressed in fine clothing* she wore sparkling jewels around her neck and in her hair. She did not look to be related to Percy* but then Isla didn’t look anything like her uncle. Perhaps the woman was a cousin or even* like Isla* a niece.
The woman was far too arrogant* though. She didn’t hide in the shadows but knelt next to Percy and waited until John motioned both of them to stand.
John spoke to Percy first. “I see you have come to your senses and heeded my command*”
he said* nodding at the woman standing next to the baron.
“Lady Beatrice* go and make yourself comfortable in your chambers.” Percy clapped his hands* and two servants immediately appeared to show the lady the way.
Once the elegant woman was out of sight* John discarded his manners. “Do you know the trouble you have caused me?”
“I did what you would have wanted me to do*” Percy said.
“Give me your accounting now*” the king commanded* “and I will decide if what you did was right or wrong.”
Percy quickly recounted what had happened at the abbey. “No one was more surprised than I to learn that Lady Gabrielle had acted as a common whore. I knew that you would want to punish her* and I wanted to bring her to you so that you could decide her fate.”
“Now it is your turn* Coswold.”
The baron explained what had happened after Monroe’s murder was discovered* and when he was finished reciting his version of the events* he said* “I did not think you would want to waste your time with a whore. I knew what must be done.”
“And what was that* pray tell?”
“I banished her. In your name* I took everything away from her. She no longer has a king or a country or a family to call her own. She has been cast out into the wilds. I believe her punishment to be worse than a quick execution. Wouldn’t you agree* my lord?”

John rubbed his chin. “I do agree*” he said at last. “I find it difficult to believe that Baron Geoffrey’s beautiful daughter would ruin herself. I will lay siege to Wellingshire and kill her father* for he did not do his duty and protect her innocence. She has no value to me now.”
He picked up his goblet and took a long swallow. Wine dripped into his beard* and he used the back of his arm to wipe his chin.
“Perhaps you* too* Coswold* are now over your infatuation with Gabrielle? Percy has moved on* and I suggest you do the same.”
Coswold turned to Percy. “What do you have to smirk about?”
“I am to marry Lady Beatrice in two months’ time. She brings a handsome dowry to our wedding. Most handsome.”
Isla covered her mouth to stop herself from screaming. No* it couldn’t be true. Percy was to marry her. He had promised.
When Coswold left the hall with King John* Isla didn’t follow. Frozen in the shadows* she stared at Percy* who had remained behind.
Percy had seen Isla cowering by the window and decided to get his talk with her over and done with now. He needed to make certain she wouldn’t cause him any problems. And if he must threaten her* he would. He walked to the dais* reached up* and poured himself a goblet of the king’s wine. He didn’t bother to turn around when he said* “Isla* come out of the shadows so that we may talk.”
Her legs were stiff as sticks as she crossed the hall. “Who is Lady Beatrice?” she demanded.
“She is my future wife. You heard the conversation. I will be married to her soon.”
“But you don’t love her. You love me. You said you did* and you promised to marry me.”
“Lower your voice*” he snapped. He could see she was losing control. “Do you want King John to hear you? You could be locked away in prison for the rest of your miserable days because of what you have done.”
“What I have done?” she screamed.
He slapped her across the face. “I told you to be quiet! And you know good and well what you did. You destroyed Lady Gabrielle’s life with your lies. You were her accuser.”
Isla covered her cheek with her hand* though she was numb to the pain. “You told me what to say* and you promised that if I did exactly what you instructed me to do* you would then marry me.”
“I would never marry you. You repulse me* Isla. You are Coswold’s niece.”
She began to sob. “But you promised…”
She grabbed his sleeve* but he pushed her back. “Get away from me.”
“I lied for you.”
“Yes* you did*” he admitted. “But no one will ever know the truth now* will they?”
“Why? Why did you have me do it? Why did you want to destroy Lady Gabrielle?”
“I knew I couldn’t have her* and I wanted to make sure Coswold couldn’t have her* either.
Then do you know what I planned to do? I was going to find her and take her to my home. I’d use her every night. Picture it* Isla. I would touch her* caress her* worship her…”
She tried to hit him* but he laughed as he fended off her attack.
“What a pathetic creature you are…and so gullible. I knew Coswold would come up with a surprise* and he didn’t disappoint me. He arrived with a brand-new writ signed by the king.
But I was prepared. I had you. Aye* you were my little surprise if all else failed. And you came forth at my signal just as I had instructed you. If I couldn’t have Gabrielle in marriage* I would get her another way.”
“I will tell everyone what you did*” she threatened. Her devastation had turned to rage.
“Don’t you mean what you did? If you tell anyone you destroyed Lady Gabrielle with your lies* you will be condemned.
“I told you that I might need you to lie so that I could get Finney’s Flat and barter it away for gold* and you and I could live a rich* happy life together. How stupid you are. Did you not think that King John would take the land back? Ah* I can see from your eyes that you had not thought it. But then I didn’t expect you would. You were fool enough to think I could love you. Why not believe everything else I told you?”
“If you want Gabrielle so much* why are you marrying this Beatrice woman?” Isla sobbed.
“She has wealth*” Percy admitted. “She will be very useful to me. And someday I’ll resume my search for Gabrielle. I don’t give up easily. Your uncle should know that.”
“I will tell King John that you made me lie.”
He snorted. “He won’t believe you.”
“Are you so certain I won’t believe her* Percy?”
The baron dropped his goblet* so shocked was he to see His Highness standing in the doorway. “You misunderstand our conversation*” Percy stammered. “What did you hear* and I will explain—”
“Silence!” the king shouted.
He motioned to two guards. “Make certain Baron Percy stays quiet while I speak to this woman.”
Isla was terrified* but her fury at Percy overrode her desire to save herself. Her head was bowed* but out of the corner of her eye she watched the king as he climbed three steps and sat in his royal chair.
“Get to your knees in front of me and tell me about this lie*” he ordered her.
She threw herself to the floor and confessed everything* begging for mercy at the end.
John was seething. He called Coswold back into the hall and made Isla repeat her story. Isla couldn’t look at her uncle* so great was her shame and her fear.
“Get her out of my sight*” the king ordered* and as his soldiers were storming toward her* Isla cried out* “Have mercy* please. What is to become of me? Where will I go?”
John motioned to the guards to wait. He eyed Isla coldly. “Did you ever worry what would happen to Lady Gabrielle? Did you wonder where she would go?”
Isla pointed to Percy. “He made me lie.”
She was dragged out of the hall* screaming and crying. When the door closed behind her* John considered his barons.
Neither Coswold nor Percy said a word. They waited to hear what their king would decide.
Coswold worried the king would blame him for Isla’s conduct* and Percy worried his lands would be confiscated.
“Surely both of you are aware of the trouble I face these days. The nobles have been released from their oaths to me because of my excommunication. There is unrest and talk of conspiracy. I must be on guard day and night. Now one of my most powerful barons* Geoffrey of Wellingshire* will plot against me because of you* Coswold* in my name banished his daughter. At this moment Geoffrey surely is gathering his forces.”
“Kill him and be done with the worry*” Percy suggested.

“You fool. Geoffrey has many influential friends who will be as outraged as he is. They will join him in fighting me. Would you have me kill them all? And will you and Coswold pay their tax to me?”
“You know we cannot*” Percy said.
“I have enemies who aid Phillip of France. He would have my crown. I don’t need more problems. Where is Lady Gabrielle now? Is she still alive?”
“I believe she is living with a clan high up north. They are a primitive group.”
“Do you know if any man has claimed her for his own?”
“No* but what would it matter? You could force her to come back to England*” Coswold said.
John shook his head. “You have taken my power over her away* you fool. When you announced that she has no country* you also announced that she does not answer to me.”
“But you could still force her—”
“Quiet.”
John considered the problem for several minutes before coming to a decision. “I must first make peace with Baron Geoffrey before he gathers allies against me. I will send word to him that I have found out the truth about his innocent daughter. Gabrielle will be given Finney’s Flat. If she isn’t married* I will find a suitable husband for her.”
“And if she is?” Coswold asked.
“Then Finney’s Flat will be my wedding gift to her.”
“Laird MacKenna would take her for his wife now that she has been proven innocent*”
Coswold said.
The king stood. “I believe you did not have a part in this treachery of lies* Coswold. You will continue to be my humble servant. As for Percy* I think you should have time to consider your transgressions. He motioned to his guards. “Take him away.”
As Percy was being escorted out of the hall* Coswold stepped in front of him. Percy glowered at his enemy.
“This isn’t over*” he hissed.
Coswold smirked. “I think it is.” In a whisper* he added* “And I win.”

C OLM WAS HEADING OUTSIDE TO GIVE ORDERS TO HIS men as Gabrielle was coming down the stairs.
“Good morning*” she called out. “It’s going to be a fine day today* isn’t it?”
He stopped and waited for her to reach him. She was a bonny sight to be sure. Her gown was a royal blue* and though he would have preferred her to wear his colors* she still looked beautiful. Had they already been married* he knew exactly what he would do at this very moment. He would pick her up* carry her back to his bed* and take his time removing her clothes.
There was no way he was going to make it five more months without bedding her* and he decided that as soon as he returned home* he would order the priest to bless their union. When Colm first took her in* Brodick had suggested that Colm delay the marriage* warning that if Gabrielle got pregnant immediately after the wedding* some might believe the babe was from another man. Colm had another solution. He would know the babe was his and kill any man who suggested otherwise.

He thought about telling her now that he would marry her as soon as he returned* then changed his mind. He’d explain while the priest prepared for the ceremony.
“Liam is in charge while I am away* and if you have any problems* go to him. He will know what to do*” he told her.
“May I ask where you are going?” Gabrielle said.
The question puzzled him. He had already made his intentions clear to her. Had she forgotten so soon?
“To war* Gabrielle.”
She nearly fell over. “Now? You’re going to war now?”
“Why do you act so surprised? I told you what I was going to do.”
She grabbed his arm and held tight so that he wouldn’t get away from her until he had properly explained. “You said you were going to kill MacKenna.”
“Ah* so you do remember. Now let go of me so that I may—”
“You can’t just go to war* Colm.” Gabrielle couldn’t believe what she was hearing. Had he gotten up this morning* eaten his breakfast* called his men to arms* and now thought he would ride into battle? “You are not prepared.”
“How am I not prepared?”
Had he never gone to war before? Was that why he didn’t know what he was supposed to do?
“You haven’t declared war first*” she instructed. “Then you must spend weeks* if not months* on preparation. There are weapons to be made and packed in a wagon* food to pack as well to sustain your men during battle* and all other necessary equipment must be carefully placed in wagons and taken along for your comforts.”
He contained his laughter and asked* “Explain these necessary comforts to me.”
She thought about what the nobles took with them when they went to war. “You will need a strong tent so that you will be sheltered from the rain* and a rug to place inside the tent so that you will not have to step barefoot on the hard ground when you get out of your bed.”
“And do I take my bed with me?”
“Some would.”
“What about wine? How many barrels should I take with me?”
“As many as you think you will need*” she said. “There are rules* Colm* even for you to follow. In a civilized war—”
“War is never civilized* and you have just described to me how the English prepare for war. By now you should have noticed that I am not English.”
“You still must prepare.”
“I have my sword* my bow* and a sound horse. I have no need for more.”
“Then I will pray that you finish your war before you get hungry or thirsty.”
She tried to walk away* but he grabbed her and kissed her soundly.
“Will you come back to me?” she asked.
“I will.”
And then he was gone.

COLM AND HIS SOLDIERS had been gone from the holding for four days and nights when Lady Joan Dunbar arrived to pay her sister a visit.

Gabrielle was most curious to meet the woman Colm had intended to marry. She made up her mind that* no matter how pretty Joan was or how sweet her disposition* she would not be jealous of her. Colm obviously cared about the woman* or he wouldn’t have agreed to marry her. He might even have loved her. But Gabrielle would not be jealous.
Colm didn’t love Gabrielle. He had simply been trapped by a stupid debt. He never would have given her a second glance otherwise.
Did Joan love Colm? How could she not? He was a handsome* virile* strong man—a protector. And if Joan loved him* so what? Gabrielle still wouldn’t be jealous.
Perhaps she and Joan could even become friends. It would be nice to have a woman with whom to talk of matters that men would have no interest in. And she and Joan did have one thing in common: Colm. Yes* they just might become friends.
But that was not to happen. After spending five minutes with the woman* Gabrielle knew they would never be friends. The reason was simple: Lady Joan was a bitch* and a mean one at that.
Fiona introduced her sister. Joan was much taller and thinner than Gabrielle. She didn’t seem to have many curves. She was more statuesque. Her hair was so long it touched her waist* and the color was as pale as her complexion. Long lashes fanned across her azure eyes.
She was pretty* and she knew it.
Joan kept sweeping her hair over her shoulder with the back of her hand in a dramatic gesture meant to draw attention to her curls.
“This is Lady Gabrielle* Joan*” Fiona said. “I explained to her that you and Laird MacHugh were to marry and then Father formed an alliance with Laird Dunbar and forced you to marry him.”
Joan stared at Gabrielle as she asked her sister* “Did you also explain that my husband is dead* and I am now free to marry Colm? And did you explain that I fully intend to do so?”
Lady Joan didn’t get quite the reaction she expected. Gabrielle was so surprised by what she’d said* she burst into laughter.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-03-11, 12:52 AM   #28

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Chirolp Krackr

“Stop laughing*” Joan demanded. “I haven’t said anything amusing.”
“I would offer you my condolences on the loss of your husband* but you seem to have gotten past mourning him.”
Joan wagged a finger at Gabrielle. “I’ve heard all about you.”
“It’s odd that I haven’t heard anything about you.”
“Maybe that’s because I’m not a whore.”
Gabrielle shrugged* and that action further incited Joan’s anger.
“Colm won’t marry a whore* and that’s what you are.”
Gabrielle knew that Joan wanted her to defend herself* but she wasn’t going to accommodate her. “Enjoy your visit*” she said and then walked away.
That night* as Gabrielle was pulling the covers back* she thought about Joan and what she had said.
One day* after she was married to Colm* she would tell him she had saved him from a fate worse than death. Aye* she’d saved him from Joan.

T HE WAR WASN’T CIVILIZED. IT WAS BLOODY AND HARD-FOUGHT.
MacHugh made no pretense of a surprise attack. He had made sure that MacKenna knew he was coming by sending word to surrounding clans that he was ready to avenge his brother.

When the news reached the MacKenna holding* the laird rallied his soldiers to battle* but he hadn’t had time to call his allies. He swore that the MacHughs would never step foot on MacKenna land. MacKenna would meet the enemy head-on and make the first strike.
MacKenna never varied his strategy* believing what had worked in the past would work again. He would strike and retreat* again and again* with wave after wave of assaults.
Although his men weren’t as well-trained* they were twice in number* and he could move fresh troops in after each wave. He had another advantage as well: his archers. As the MacHughs poured down the mountain and crossed the flats* there would be no place to hide.
Even if they managed to reach the border of the flats* his archers would be waiting to finish them off.
Colm counted on MacKenna’s stupidity.
It never occurred to Laird MacKenna that the MacHughs could cross the flats in the dark.
Even fools would never try to ride across what they could not see. Without light* their horses could stumble and falter. But the MacHughs didn’t ride their horses* they silently led them across. By morning light they had made a wide circle and were in position behind their enemy. They advanced* forcing the MacKennas to engage in battle or run. Most of them ran.
Once they flushed the MacKennas into the open* they fought with their swords and with their fists. The battle was quickly won* for the MacKennas fought like the cowards they were.
One even tried to use another as a shield against MacHugh’s sword. Colm killed them both with one hard thrust* his blade cutting through two bodies just below their hearts.
Colm was always the first to go into battle. He led his men. MacKenna was always the last* fighting only when there was little actual danger of getting killed.
Bodies covered the field like rushes. Every dead MacKenna was turned over in search of the laird. But he was not to be found. Colm stood in the middle of the carnage* his sword dripping MacKenna blood* enraged that MacKenna had slipped away.
“Find him!” he roared.
The MacKenna keep was blocked off. The hunt continued.
Colm found his enemy three long days later* hiding like a coward in a grotto near the bluff overlooking Loch Gornoch. With swords drawn* two of MacKenna’s soldiers stood guard in front of their laird.
Braeden leaped from his horse and ran to Colm’s side.
“Stand back*” Colm ordered. His eyes locked on MacKenna as the two MacKenna soldiers ran for their lives.
Grasping his sword in both hands* Colm raised his arms high over his head.
The last image Owen MacKenna saw was a looming shadow.
The last sound he heard was the music of the sword.

G ABRIELLE STOOD AT THE WINDOW IN HER CHAMBER and watched a group of boys fighting with wooden swords. She heard one of them yell that it was his turn to play Laird MacHugh* and she soon learned that meant he got to win. There were always two winners on their pretend battlefield* Colm and Liam. She wondered if the laird and his brother knew how much they were admired by their clan.
The mischief-makers* Ethan and Tom* stood on the sidelines begging to be allowed to join in* but the older boys kept pushing them back and ignoring them. She was surprised the little ones gave up so easily. They put their heads together* giggled loudly* and then took off running around the side of the castle. They had already moved on to their next adventure.

Hearing the children’s laughter lightened Gabrielle’s mood. She had been so melancholy since Colm left* and he had been gone such a long time. Was he safe? Please God* keep him safe.
She knew what evil MacKenna was capable of* for there was proof that he had plotted Liam’s torture and murder. In the last few days she had heard numerous stories about Laird MacKenna* and each one painted a picture of a tyrant who used others to carry out his sadistic plans. His loyalty to his clan went only as far as the benefit he received personally. If his followers displeased him* they were expelled* or worse* killed. He even used women and children as shields against hostile neighboring clans. Housing them near the fortress walls* he made sure any laird who dared attack the MacKenna holding knew they were first killing these deterrents.
As Gabrielle listened to each horrendous tale* she thought back to the man she had met at Arbane Abbey. Laird MacKenna’s generosity to the monks had no doubt been part of his scheme. The abbot had been deceived* and so had she. At his introduction* Gabrielle had thought the man amiable and attractive* and now that she knew the truth* she admonished herself for making judgments based on appearance. She had been wrong about him* and she had been wrong about Colm as well. Had she only looked at Colm’s rough exterior* she would never have seen the heart of the man.
She tried not to think about MacKenna and what must be happening* but late at night when she was huddled under the covers* sleep would elude her* and her imagination would run rampant. All sorts of horrible images would come into her mind. She would imagine Colm lying injured* all alone* with no one to help him.
The possibility that he might die was too unbearable to consider. His clan needed him.
Shoving one worry from her mind* it settled on another. Why hadn’t she heard from her father? There had been enough time for him to have gotten word to her or to the Buchanans.
The longer she waited to hear* the more convinced she became that Wellingshire was under siege and that King John’s soldiers had taken him captive. Gabrielle knew her father would never surrender.
So many were suffering now…and all because of a lie. Gabrielle hoped that one day she would know why the woman had said such heinous things about her. How could she so blithely destroy someone she didn’t know? Where was her conscience? Had Isla felt any remorse? Or had she* like so many others* discovered a way to justify her evil deeds?
Gabrielle didn’t have any answers. She knew only that fear could paralyze her if she allowed it. She needed to keep busy. If she worked hard enough and moved fast enough* there would be no time to worry.
Now* as she straightened up her chamber* she said another prayer that God would watch over her father and Colm.
Feeling a chill in the air* she went to the window to lower the tapestry. Before the heavy fabric fell into place* she glanced once again at the boys playing below. Something caught her eye and she quickly pushed the curtain back.
“Oh* dear Lord.”
She picked up her skirts* threw the door open* and ran as fast as she could. She nearly broke her neck flying down the stairs.
Liam was in the hall when he heard her shout. He kicked a chair out of his way as he came running. “Gabrielle* what’s wrong?” He caught her as she tried to run past him.
“Ethan…Tom…with swords*” she gasped.
“Yes* I saw the boys playing outside* but what—”

“Real swords*” she stammered. “They’ve got real—”
She didn’t have to continue. Liam understood what she was trying to tell him. He was much faster than she was and had already vanished down the second set of stairs. Gabrielle pushed a clump of hair out of her eyes and took a deep breath* then picked up her skirts again and chased after him.
There weren’t any blood-curdling screams* which was a good indication the boys hadn’t cut themselves. Still* she wanted to make certain they were all right. By the time she reached the first floor* she had picked up a good amount of speed. The door was just closing as she ran outside. It struck her on the hip* knocking her off balance and sending her spinning down the steps into the courtyard. She might have been able to save herself from falling on her face if her legs hadn’t gotten caught up in her gown. She tripped over her own feet and once again went flying through the air* though this time she was sure to land on her head.
Colm saved her from breaking her neck. He had Tom wrapped firmly in one arm when he saw her. Tossing the boy to Christien* he grabbed for Gabrielle and she landed against his chest with a thud.
Gabrielle uttered an unladylike expletive she hoped no one heard* looked up* and only then realized she was in Colm’s arms. She was so happy to see him* she kissed him. He hadn’t shaved* and she felt the bristles of his beard against her cheek. He squeezed her just enough to let her know he was happy to see her* too. At least that is what she wanted to believe.
She stepped back. “You are well?”
“Yes.”
“And the battle?”
“Finished.”
“And the outcome?”
“As expected.”
She knew he wasn’t going to tell her anything more* and though she thought he could have been a little less rude about it* she was too happy to see him to let it irritate her.
Liam walked past them with Ethan tucked under his arm. The boy was yelling for Liam to put him down so that he could get his sword. With Tom in tow* Christien followed them inside. The child chattered away and didn’t seem to mind that the guard paid no attention.
For a moment Gabrielle and Colm were alone. “I have missed you*” she said.
She hoped he would tell her that he had also missed her* but he only gave her a quick nod.
And then he broke her heart.
“Gabrielle* I know I told you I would marry you in six months’ time…” he began.
“Yes* and a month almost has already passed.”
“It doesn’t matter how long it’s been. I can no longer keep my promise.”
Willa stopped him from saying more. “Laird* begging a minute of your time…” she called as she approached* wiping her hands on her apron. “Those little imps have been at it again.
They’ve gotten into the pens in the back and terrorized my poor hens* and now they won’t lay their eggs. I swear I saw one of them hide when Ethan and Tom ran past. I’m afraid you’re going to have to ban them from the yard.”
“All right* Willa. I’ll take care of it*” he answered.
Out of the corner of his eye* he saw others coming—the stonemason holding yet another shredded rope in his hands* the smith with the new sword blade ready to be inspected* the young soldier—all with immediate problems to be solved.

He answered several questions and then motioned to everyone else to wait so that he could finish explaining to Gabrielle what he planned to do. She was nowhere in sight.
“What the…Gabrielle!” he shouted.
“Begging your indulgence* Laird* but I think your lady is making her way to the stables*”
the soldier said.
“I saw her guards following*” another volunteered.
“Ah* hell.” She was at it again. The woman was forever trying to leave him.
Calling for Braeden to take over and answer the remaining questions* Colm headed for the stables.
Gabrielle had disappeared before he finished his statement* and therefore she did not understand what he had been trying to tell her—that there would be no marriage in five months because he could not wait five months to bed her* and that the last month had been torture and he couldn’t continue this way. He couldn’t be in the same room with her without thinking about what he wanted to do to her. It was getting ridiculous. She would walk up the stairs; he would walk down. She walked into a room; he walked out. She had no idea the power she held over him* and so he had done everything he could to stay away from her.
Since she was so innocent* she couldn’t possibly know how her touch affected him. But after they were married* he would take his time showing her how crazed she could make him.
He caught up with her as she was opening Rogue’s stall. He reached around her and kicked the gate shut* then ordered her guards to leave. Without questioning* they filed outside and waited at the stable doors.
Colm wasn’t gentle as he forced her to turn around and face him. There were tears in her eyes.
“You are not leaving*” he told her.
“As you say.”
“No* you are not leaving me.”
“But Colm—”
“You are not leaving me.” His voice shook with emotion.
She pushed against his chest* but she couldn’t budge him. “I cannot stay here*” she cried out. “I can’t. I won’t be able to stop chasing you and kissing you and demanding your attention. I know you think you can keep avoiding me* but you can’t* Colm. I can be relentless when it’s something I want.” She took a breath and whispered* “And I want you.”
And there it was* out in the open for him to accept or reject. She looked up at him. He’d gone completely still. She wasn’t even sure if he was still breathing. She knew she’d shocked him by pouring her heart out to him. It was unseemly for a lady to admit she felt passion* but it was too late to take the words back* and Gabrielle wouldn’t have wanted to anyway.
“You say you cannot marry me* and I will accept your decision*” she said. “But if I stayed* it wouldn’t matter if we were married or not. I would still chase you* and eventually I would wear you down. You could not get away from me.”
He stroked the side of her face with the back of his hand as he struggled to find the words to give her. “There are times I don’t know what to think of you. You constantly astound me.
You save my brother’s life* and ask nothing in return. I offer you marriage* and you worry that I will ruin my life. You have been dragged through Hell* and you show only kindness.
Now you think I reject you* and you open your heart to me. I don’t know how this miracle came to pass* but I cannot imagine living the rest of my life without you. I want you* Gabrielle* and I will not wait five months to have you. We will marry now.”

T HE WEDDING WOULD TAKE PLACE IN TWO WEEKS. IT WAS AS long as Colm was willing to wait* and he believed fourteen days was more than enough time to prepare for the celebration.
Maurna and Willa were frantic. Everything needed to be perfect for their laird and his bride. Maurna took charge of the women who would give the keep a proper scrubbing while Willa and her helpers began making their special recipes. There would be pheasant* fully dressed and trimmed; stuffed pigs; pullets* of course—four dozen would do nicely—meat pies; and berry tarts. Honey would be mixed in almost every sweet dessert. The best wine would be served.
“You’ll be a vision* milady* floating down the stairs in your finery*” Maurna said. “Father Gelroy will hear you say your vows outside in the courtyard. There will be pretty flowers to garnish your hair and more flowers will be strewn in a circle around you and our laird* and the priest as well. Father thought the ceremony should take place at Arbane Abbey. As he explained* you are a princess of St. Biel and should have a royal wedding* but our laird wouldn’t hear of it. He isn’t explaining why* but Willa and I think it’s because he knows his clan would want to join in the celebration.”
“It will be a grand day*” Willa predicted* “and here before you know it.”
The best-laid plans had a way of changing.

GABRIELLE RECEIVED JOYOUS NEWS from her father. Laird Buchanan came to the MacHugh holding to tell her that he had received a message from Baron Geoffrey.
“Your father is well. He has not been harmed by the king* nor have his estates been seized.
He knows that you are living with the MacHugh clan* and he wants you to know that he will be here soon to see you* and to explain what happened with the king.
“There is more news*” he added* looking at Colm. “Your father believes you will be going home with him.”
“He knows I have been banned. Why would my father think I could go into England with him?” she said.
Brodick had no answer.
Not an hour later* while Colm and Brodick discussed the trouble the new Monroe laird was stirring up* one of the MacHugh soldiers on duty at the drawbridge came to the gate of the courtyard to announce that an envoy from King John was asking permission to speak to Lady Gabrielle.
“There are a bishop and three other holy men* along with a few servants* traveling with the envoy*” he said. “They insist that you will want to hear what they have to say. They brought a scroll with them and a gift for Lady Gabrielle.”
“And soldiers?” Colm asked. “Did the envoy bring the king’s soldiers as well?”
“He did* Laird. Twelve in all. They have already placed their weapons on the ground to show their good intentions.”
Colm scoffed. “The English don’t have good intentions.”
Colm was going to refuse to let any of them cross his drawbridge* but Brodick urged him to reconsider. “Aren’t you curious to know what they have to say? And if you don’t like what you hear* you could always—” He stopped when he realized Gabrielle was listening.
Colm gave his order: the soldiers would remain outside* but the others could come forward.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-03-11, 12:53 AM   #29

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Chirolp Krackr

The shout to lower the bridge echoed down to the guards.
“Gabrielle* go inside*” Colm said.
“As you say.”
She wanted to stay. She was as curious as Brodick to find out what the envoy had to say* but she would not oppose Colm in front of his ally and friend. Besides* she knew protesting wouldn’t do any good. Once Colm had his jaw set* nothing could change his mind.
Although no command was given* MacHughs began to line up on either side of the worn path from the drawbridge to the courtyard. Most were armed and ready for any outcome.
Gabrielle thought they were being overly cautious. What harm could one envoy* some holy men* and a handful of servants cause? None of the priests or servants would be armed* and the envoy would not dare to carry a sword. To do so would be a grave insult to the laird.
Stephen appeared at Gabrielle’s shoulder and explained what was happening as they made their way into the castle. “It is believed that the procession is coming for you* Princess* with the intent of taking you away. The clan knows there are English soldiers waiting outside the walls* and word has spread that the envoy brings news to you. He could be carrying an order for you to return to England.” He nodded toward the men standing on either side of the path.
“The MacHughs are letting it be known that they will not let you be taken away from them without a fight.”
“These men came here unarmed* and are few at that*” she said.
“But they will report back to the soldiers waiting outside the walls* and those soldiers will tell King John what has happened here today.”
“There has been so much deceit of late. How can we even be certain the envoy comes from King John?”
“We must assume that he does and be prepared*” Stephen answered gravely.
Just as he reached for the door* Liam pulled it open and came outside. He nodded to Gabrielle* stepped aside so that she could pass* then crossed the courtyard to take his place beside his brother.
They were a fearsome sight. Colm stood in the middle of the warriors. Liam and Braeden were on his left* Brodick to his right. Christien and Lucien joined the line next to Braeden.
Faust went to the opposite side to stand beside Brodick.
“Go and take your place with the others*” she said to Stephen. “I will stay inside and cause you no worry.”
Stephen bowed his head and turned to do as she asked.
The door had just closed behind her when it was flung open again as Father Gelroy ran inside* looking like a pack of wild dogs was on his heels.
“The bishop has come*” he told her* “and I’m not ready to receive him!”
He rushed ahead of her to the steps. Then* remembering courtesy* Gelroy stopped suddenly and let her go in front of him. But as soon as they reached the second level* he cut around her and raced up the next flight. He didn’t have time to change his robes* but wanted to at least wipe the dust off and wash his hands and face.
Gabrielle paced in the hall while she waited for someone to come and tell her the news.
Panting from his haste* Father Gelroy joined her a moment later. “I’m to stay with you until I am called outside. Our laird will not allow felicitations until the envoy has explained the purpose of his visit.”
“I would stand by the window so that I would see what is happening*” said Gabrielle* “but those outside would also see me. It would be unseemly.”

“Aye* it would*” the holy man agreed.
“And it would be wrong to try to overhear what is being said* but if you were to stand slightly closer to the window* you couldn’t help but hear some of the conversation. I do not see any wrong if you were to just happen to walk toward the window…”
Gelroy nodded. “No* no* of course it wouldn’t be wrong* and I am certainly in need of fresh air.”
The priest positioned himself at the edge of the window with the hope he wouldn’t be noticed.
“I’m just in time to see the procession*” he reported. “There is pomp and splendor. The bishop is dressed in his rich finery* riding a docile horse. He’s not a young man* but he’s not so old* either.”
“And the envoy?”
“Walking he is* with a scroll tucked under his arm. His clothes are unremarkable* and I must say he seems the jittery sort* for he keeps darting quick looks to his left and right. I think the poor fellow believes he will be pounced on any minute.” Gelroy chuckled as he added*
“And well he could. I remember such a feeling myself.”
“What of the others?” she asked.
“It is quite a procession. First comes the bishop* then the envoy* then* one at a time* the monks* and last the servants. I recognize a few faces. They are indeed from the abbey.”
Gabrielle kept edging closer to Gelroy* hoping she could sneak a peek. The priest shooed her back.
“The bishop can see straight through this window* Lady Gabrielle. Do not let him see you.”
“Then tell me what is happening now.”
“The bishop is still atop his horse* but he has stopped. A servant is coming forward to take the reins and aid the bishop.”
Gelroy made the sign of the cross and folded his hands as though in prayer. Then he explained. “The bishop decided to give his blessing. If he had hoped the lairds would bow to him* he was mistaken. None of them have moved.”
The bishop didn’t seem offended that Colm and the others didn’t drop to their knees. The servant stood by his side and held the reins* but the bishop didn’t dismount.
The envoy came forward. Assuming the warrior standing in the center of the stone-faced men to be Laird MacHugh* he addressed him.
“His Highness* King John of England* sends word to Lady Gabrielle. She is here?”
“She is*” Colm answered* “but you will give me the king’s message* and I will then decide if you can speak to her.”
The envoy was quick to agree. He cleared his throat* straightened his shoulders* and took a step forward. He then began his rehearsed speech as a herald would do* in a loud booming voice so that many would hear.
“There has been a terrible injustice done to Lady Gabrielle. She has been wrongly vilified and persecuted. His Highness now knows and has absolute proof that the lady is innocent. The king wants it known that Baron Geoffrey of Wellingshire will be lauded and richly respected for his vigilance over his daughter* and Lady Gabrielle* a treasure to England* will from this day forward be called Princess Gabrielle of St. Biel and friend to England’s king.”
The envoy paused to await a response. It was not long in coming.

“Every man here knows Lady Gabrielle is innocent. We do not need your king to tell us so*” Colm said.
“King John will be pleased to hear that you and others have seen through the treacherous lies told and wrongly believed by many. He wishes to prove his sincerity.”
“And how will he do that?” Colm asked.
The envoy held out the scroll so all could see the seal was unbroken.
“To prove sincerity*” he repeated* “and in hopes of forgiveness for this grievous injustice* His Royal Highness hereby confers the land known as Finney’s Flat to Princess Gabrielle. He has signed his name and affixed his royal seal as his solemn promise that the land will never belong to England again. He also has had it written that God may strike him if he does not keep his word.”
The envoy took another step forward and with both hands held out the scroll. Colm took it and handed it to Liam. “Why do these priests travel with you?” he asked.
“For protection* Laird MacHugh*” he answered. “It was hoped…sincerely hoped…that you would hear the message from my king and not harm the messenger.”
Colm glanced at Brodick before speaking to the envoy again. “Holy men would not save you from my fist if I were displeased with your message.”
The envoy swallowed loudly* and the bishop* hearing what the laird had just said* gave yet another blessing. “And are you displeased* Laird?” the envoy asked.
“No* I am not* and I do not kill messengers* even when the news is not to my liking. You are welcome here as long as it takes you to refresh yourselves. The others* too.”
The envoy was weak with relief. “I thank you* Laird* but there is more of the apology to give* and more needs said about the gift. His Highness wishes to hear Princess Gabrielle has forgiven him. She must say the words to me so that I may say them to my king.”
“My clan will also hear this apology from your king.” He signaled to Braeden* who shouted the command.
Within minutes men* women* and children surrounded the courtyard and stood silent* watching.
“Go and get your princess*” Colm ordered her guards.
The door was thrown open and held by two of the men who had been standing guard. A moment passed and then another as all eyes watched the entrance.
And then Gabrielle stepped out into the light. An aid sounded a herald’s trumpet as the envoy said* “Hail to Princess Gabrielle.” He then dropped to his knees and bowed his head.
The visitors from the abbey also fell to their knees to show their respect.
Startled* Gabrielle looked at Colm* uncertain of what to do. It was not appropriate for these men to kneel. Colm wasn’t giving her any help. He simply stared at her and waited for her to come to him.
She didn’t disappoint him. Liam moved back so that she could stand beside Colm.
“You must give them permission to stand*” Stephen instructed in a whisper.
Her cheeks flushed with embarrassment. “You may stand.”
She surprised everyone then when she gave the envoy instructions. “You bow to Laird MacHugh* for you are on his land by his good graces* but you do not kneel to me. If the laird wants you on your knees* he will tell you so.”
A murmur of approval came from the MacHughs.

Colm gave the envoy permission to speak* and the envoy repeated his prepared speech.
The cheers were deafening when he finished. He waited until the noise had died down and then asked* “May I tell His Royal Highness that you forgive him?”
Gabrielle was about to answer the envoy and tell him yes* she did forgive the king* but something held her back. Was this another trick?
“I will consider it. You will have your answer before you leave here.”
The envoy looked shocked that she didn’t immediately agree* but bowed to her wishes. “I will await your answer.”
Liam took Gabrielle’s hand. “You have always had the acceptance and respect of this clan* but now you have their love.”
Colm knocked his hand away. “You will give your love to another and leave Gabrielle alone.”
Liam laughed. He winked at Gabrielle and said* “As you say* Laird.”
“Laird* we must celebrate*” Braeden said* “for now we have a princess and Finney’s Flat.”
Colm agreed but didn’t want any of the outsiders to come into his home* not even the bishop. With the weather pleasant and no rain cloud in sight* he called for tables and benches to be carried outside and a barrel of ale to be brought from the buttery.
The bishop was finally removed from his horse* and he and his monks were given places at the table. Still suspicious of their English visitors* the MacHughs were reticent to be welcoming to the envoy and his men.
Gabrielle was even more wary than the MacHughs. She kept an eye on the envoy as he made his way through the gathering crowd. Distracted* she barely paid attention to the conversation next to her until she heard Colm praise Father Gelroy. With each word he said* the priest seemed to grow taller.
“Perhaps soon* Laird* you will wish to build Father Gelroy a chapel*” Gabrielle suggested.
“Perhaps*” he replied.
“The statue of St. Biel the abbot has kept safe for you is soon to come here*” the bishop said. “Perhaps you will name your chapel after the saint. I have not heard of him*” he admitted* “but so many were sainted before my time. Would you know how many miracles he has performed?”
Gabrielle didn’t have the faintest idea. Father Gelroy saw her hesitation and said* “St. Biel was a good and holy man. I’m certain the royal guards could tell us the number of miracles.”
When the bishop left to get refreshment* she whispered to Gelroy* “I am ashamed that I have forgotten so much about St. Biel. I* too* will seek instruction from my guards.”
Father Gelroy spotted Maurna carrying out a tray of food. “Yes* yes*” he said* dismissing the talk of saints. “The meal is ready.”
Gabrielle looked around in astonishment as MacHugh women carried huge trenchers filled with meat pies and bread and game birds. One of the women crossed to the courtyard with yet another tray. Everyone was bringing food to share.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-03-11, 12:53 AM   #30

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~

She looked around for Colm* but he had disappeared. As she set out to find him her way through the gathering throng was interrupted by well-wishers who wanted to congratulate her.
She was patted on her back* her arms* and once on her head by a robust woman.
When she finally had threaded her way to the side of the castle* she looked for a quiet spot.
She needed time to think. Something in the back of her mind gnawed at her. Although the envoy’s announcement was good news* something wasn’t right. What that was she didn’t know.

Colm found her sitting on a stone. “Gabrielle* what are you doing?”
“Pondering.”
He pulled her into his arms* kissed her* and then tried to get her to go back to the celebration.
“I think there may be trickery by King John* but I don’t know what it might be*” she told him.
“I will read the scroll carefully* and if you like* I will ask Liam and Brodick to read it as well*” he assured her. “You are right not to trust.”
As Colm went to find Brodick and Liam* and head inside* Gabrielle returned to the feast.
Maurna forced her to sit and taste some of the offerings. Since she had prepared one of the meat pies* she insisted that Gabrielle be given a good helping.
Conversation whirled around her. There was much excitement about the MacHughs owning Finney’s Flat. They could triple their crops even if they let some of the ground lie fallow. Their joyful enthusiasm made her smile. But still she kept a skeptical eye on the envoy.
Why would the king give her Finney’s Flat? And how were his lapdogs* the barons* involved? For surely they were. Aye* if there was trickery* they were behind it. The king called the land his gift. The first time she’d heard of Finney’s Flat* it was to be her dowry. But now? What could the reason be? Certainly not the king’s generosity. He didn’t know the meaning of the word.
He wanted her forgiveness. There it was. Suddenly she knew exactly what was in the king’s mind. She slapped the top of the table causing quite a startle* then jumped to her feet and stormed over to the envoy.
The celebrating crowd might not have noticed Gabrielle’s behavior* but all of them saw her guards racing to her. By the time she reached the envoy* Christien was standing beside her.
“Stand*” she ordered the envoy.
The laughter died down and a hush fell over the people
“You will answer my questions*” she demanded. “Do you go directly back to King John?”
“No* I first go to the abbey*” the envoy answered* glancing around at the startled faces staring at him. “I will stay the night there and then continue on my journey.”
“Are there barons also waiting to hear what news you bring?”
“Yes* Princess* I’m certain there are.”
“Perhaps those barons are Coswold and Percy?”
“I do not know all who anxiously wait to hear that you have forgiven King John.”
Frowning* he added* “And that is why I wait as well.”
The crowd edged closer. Gabrielle saw Joan watching her and the bishop standing beside her.
“I know what the king and his barons are about*” she said* her voice rising with her anger.
“If I accept the king’s apology* I am also accepting his rule. Is that not true? I am no longer free of him.”
The envoy looked at his shoes when he spoke. “I cannot lie* and so I will tell you that Finney’s Flat will be a dowry for you to bring to the man the king will choose for you to marry.”
“But if I don’t accept his apology* then Finney’s Flat returns to the king?”

“I am not certain* but there would be the possibility.”
If a bread crumb were to drop to the ground* it would have made more noise than the clan.
“Did the king not consider that I might already be married?”
“He did* and if you were* then Finney’s Flat would belong to your husband* and the king would not interfere.”
Gabrielle looked around her and raised her voice to proclaim. “I am married this day.”
The envoy took what she said as true and asked* “To Laird MacHugh?”
“Yes*” she answered. “Finney’s Flat belongs to him.”
“You are not married this day!” Joan shouted. “You cannot deceive us. You boldly tell a lie in front of the bishop. You will burn in hell for such an offense.”
Incensed* Gabrielle brushed past the envoy. “I am married this day.”
Joan backed away as Gabrielle came closer. The anger she saw in Gabrielle’s eyes frightened her* and she feared she would strike her.
“I am married this day* and Finney’s Flat belongs to Laird MacHugh*” she repeated.
A rumble of agreement rolled through the crowd* growing louder and louder until the sound was deafening.
Once the noise had died down* Gabrielle spoke again. “Would you like proof? All of you wait here* and I will get it for you.”
“We know you are married this day and Finney’s Flat belongs to our laird*” a man called out.
“Aye*” another called and another.
Gabrielle stopped in front of the envoy. “But you* I think* require proof.”
The envoy nodded. “I must be able to tell King John with a certainty that you are married.”
He could feel the heat of the crowd’s anger and called out* “And Finney’s Flat will be Laird MacHugh’s.”
Christien ran ahead of Gabrielle and held the door for her. “Is the proof inside?” he asked* grinning.
“Yes*” she answered.
Followed by her guards* Gabrielle ran up the stairs* paused to make herself presentable by smoothing her bliaut and pushing a strand of hair behind her ear.
“Are you ready to be married this day?’ Stephen asked.
She nodded.
In the hall* Colm had just finished reading the scroll. He was handing it to Brodick while Liam and Father Gelroy* goblets in hand* waited their turn.
Gabrielle took a deep breath and entered the hall. “Colm* may I have a moment of your time?”

G ABRIELLE WAS INDEED MARRIED THIS DAY.
The ceremony was performed in front of the hearth in the great hall. There wasn’t any pomp or splendor befitting a princess from St. Biel and a powerful laird from the Highlands.
It was done quickly and quietly. Even though it was nearly impossible for anyone to see into the hall from outside* Gabrielle insisted that the tapestries be pulled down to cover the windows that faced the courtyard below and those that overlooked the back garden and the lake beyond. She wasn’t taking any chances that the envoy or the bishop or that horrid woman* Joan* might see what was happening.
Since Brodick was her only relative in attendance* it became his duty to give her to Colm and grant permission for the marriage to take place when asked to do so by Father Gelroy.
Liam and Gabrielle’s royal guards were witnesses.
Gabrielle didn’t think she was nervous* but apparently she was* for when she was told to place her hand in Colm’s* she trembled as though she had just suffered a terrible fright. The priest began his prayer* and the impact of what she was doing suddenly overwhelmed her. Her knees went weak and she could barely breathe. A vise was crushing her chest. She was becoming Colm’s wife* now and forever.
In a daze* she watched as Colm placed a length of his plaid over their joined hands. He tilted her face up and looked into her eyes as he spoke his vows* and for the life of her* she couldn’t comprehend a word he said. She had forgotten any Gaelic she ever knew. Then it was her turn. She whispered her vows in her mother’s language. Father Gelroy stopped her and asked her to start over.
“I don’t understand what you’re saying* Princess Gabrielle*” he explained.
Neither did she. She knew she had promised Colm something. She just couldn’t remember what it was. Had she said that she would love and cherish him? Or had she thought that she should? And had she told him that she would be faithful and true? She hoped she had* but she couldn’t be certain. For all she knew* she had promised to clean his stables for the rest of her days.
Bewildered* she looked at the priest. He didn’t have an appalled look on his face* which she took as a good sign.
Now and forever* until death do they part.
The prayers were finished* and the blessing was given. She was as stiff as a board as Colm gathered her into his arms* but once he lowered his head and kissed her* she came alive again.
His warmth stopped her trembling* and the tenderness in his kiss melted her fears.
“You are now man and wife.” Father Gelroy was beaming his approval as he made the announcement.
Congratulations weren’t shouted but given in hushed voices. The guards each made a low bow to their princess and her new husband and then* at Gabrielle’s insistence* went down to the courtyard to join the clan’s celebration. Colm allowed Liam to kiss Gabrielle’s hand* but that was all he would permit* and Brodick snatched her away from Colm long enough to hug her.
“We must toast this marriage*” Liam said.
“What a lovely suggestion*” she blurted out. “Another time perhaps?”
She grabbed the priest’s arm and pulled him toward the stairs as she gave him instructions on what he should say to the envoy. “You will please tell the envoy that yes* you did marry us* but you won’t—”
Colm stopped her. Throwing his arm around her and anchoring her to his side* he said* “I will take care of this matter. There is no need to rush.”
She didn’t agree. She had told the envoy that she would bring him proof of her marriage.
Surely he would be suspicious if she made him wait long.
She bowed her head. “As you say.”
Liam burst into laughter* and when Brodick asked what was so amusing* Liam was happy to explain.

“To Gabrielle* ‘as you say’ means that she doesn’t agree and will do the complete opposite. She thinks to placate Colm with those words* but we have all caught on to her real meaning.”
Brodick nodded. “‘Yes’ means ‘no*’ and ‘no’ means ‘yes’?” He pounded Colm on the shoulder. “At least she tried to placate you. My wife doesn’t pay any attention to what I say.”
Brodick didn’t seem to be bothered by his wife’s willfulness. In fact* he looked pleased by it.
“Laird MacHugh* do you want me to go outside and have a word with the envoy?” Gelroy asked.
“You will stay here*” Colm ordered.
“But when I do face him* will you tell me what I am to say?”
“You will tell the truth*” Colm said* “but you won’t mention when the ceremony took place.”
The laird’s frown still had the power to make Gelroy shake in his boots. He tried not to let it show as he waited for his next instruction.
Liam insisted upon a toast. He ran to the buttery and returned with a jug of wine. Pouring each of them a full goblet* he wished the couple a long and happy life. “And as you say* Gabrielle* to a perfect marriage*” he teased.
Gabrielle was puzzled. A perfect marriage? Had she said something about their marriage being perfect?
“Colm* did I promise that when I spoke my vows?” she asked. “If I did* I am very sorry.
Our marriage will not be perfect* and I cannot promise there will be no trouble. Look at the deception I have caused on this our wedding day. I didn’t lie to the envoy* but I did mislead him. And I corrupted your clan as well* for I made them complicit in my deception. Do you not wonder what I will do tomorrow?”
Had she expected Colm to be sympathetic to her distress* she was mistaken. He thought her guilt amusing.
“Deceit? Trouble? You have already become a MacHugh*” he laughed.
He kissed her again and then grew serious. “You will tell me now what wedding gifts you want from me. On this your wedding day* I will refuse you nothing.”
She didn’t have to think about it long. “I would like you to build Father Gelroy his chapel and pledge to have it finished by this time next year. He will need it to have a fine altar and sturdy benches.”
Gelroy was overwhelmed by her thoughtfulness and generosity. Colm didn’t seem at all surprised. “It will be done. What else would you like?”
Again there was no hesitation. “Tradition is important to me*” she said. “And so I would like you to give me the same gift my father gave my mother.”
He waited for her to tell him what it was* but she didn’t say another word.
“When am I to know what this gift is?” he urged.
“Eventually.”
The envoy was waiting with the bishop for Gabrielle to return. His face whitened when he saw Colm striding toward him.
“Lady MacHugh has told me you require proof that she is my wife. She did tell you we were married* did she not?”
“Yes* Laird…that is* Laird* another did suggest the possibility that perhaps—”

“Do you know how fortunate you are to still be standing? You should be dead* for you have insinuated that my wife lied to you. Is that so?”
“No* no* I didn’t think so. Another did perhaps think that—”
“My wife does not lie.” His voice had turned deadly.
“Yes* Laird. She speaks only the truth.”
Gabrielle moved closer to Colm. She stared at the envoy and no one else. She didn’t know if Joan was still in the crowd watching* but she hoped she had left and wouldn’t cause any more trouble.
Father Gelroy stepped forward. “I know for a fact that Laird MacHugh and Lady MacHugh are married. I am the priest who administered the holy sacrament. I heard them speak their vows to each other* and I blessed their union.” With a dramatic gesture to the sky* he said* “May a bolt of lightning strike me down this very second if I am lying.”
He raised his eyes to heaven and waited* then nodding said* “God knows I am telling the truth* and so should you.”
The bishop wanted to get back to the abbey before nightfall so he could sleep in his own bed instead of the hard ground. “I will testify that Father Gelroy speaks the truth. This issue should now be settled to everyone’s satisfaction.”
The envoy was convinced. “I am satisfied. Because of this marriage* you now have Finney’s Flat* Laird MacHugh.”
“Our laird also has the treasure of St. Biel*” Gelroy said* smiling with relief at Gabrielle.
The priest did not think he needed to explain his meaning. Everyone who looked at Gabrielle could see what a treasure she was.
Gabrielle blushed at the priest’s compliment. “I think not* Father. My husband will have to be content with the land* for he will not get a treasure.”
“As soon as possible*” said the envoy* “I will have heralds sent to each clan to announce that Princess Gabrielle has been proven innocent of the accusations made against her* that your marriage is valid* and that Finney’s Flat is now yours.”
“You have the power to proclaim this?” Gelroy asked.
“I do.”
A few minutes later the envoy and the bishop took their leave* and Gabrielle was never so happy to see anyone go. Now she could relax. Or so she thought.
One worry left* and another arrived. This was her wedding night.
The MacHugh clan was slow to disperse. They had much to celebrate. Their laird had returned victorious over their enemies* the MacKennas; their holdings now included Finney’s Flat; and their beloved laird had taken a wife. As Father Gelroy reminded them* they were truly blessed. With dusk approaching* the festivities began to die down. The tables and benches were returned to the castle* and the people made their way to their cottages weary* but happy.
Liam and Colm walked with Brodick to the stables* as it was time that Brodick headed home as well.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)

أدوات الموضوع
انواع عرض الموضوع

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات