آخر 10 مشاركات
وَرِيث موريتي(102) للكاتبة:Katherine Garbera(الجزء1 من سلسلة ميراث آل موريتي) كاملة (الكاتـب : Gege86 - )           »          سيكولوجية المرأة (الكاتـب : Habiba Banani - )           »          اصديق (انت)ام عدو؟ (الكاتـب : مجهولة. القدر - )           »          قدرها ان يحبها شيطان (1) .. سلسلة زهرة الدم. (الكاتـب : Eveline - )           »          أطياف الغرام *مميزة ومكتملة * (الكاتـب : rainy dream - )           »          طلب مساعدة (الكاتـب : ام هدى وعدنان - )           »          طريقة سهلة لعمل صينية أرز معمر مصري بخطوات سهلة (الكاتـب : الماخيكو 123 - )           »          صفقة زواج (56) للكاتبة jemmy *كاملة* ...a marriage deal (الكاتـب : Jamila Omar - )           »          كُنّ ملاذي...! (92) للكاتبة: ميشيل ريد *كــــاملة* (الكاتـب : Gege86 - )           »          سجل هنا حضورك اليومي (الكاتـب : فراس الاصيل - )

العودة   شبكة روايتي الثقافية > مكتبات روايتي > English Library > Fiction > Romance

إضافة رد

LinkBack أدوات الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
قديم 07-03-11, 01:22 AM   #11

Dalyia

إدارية ومشرفة سابقة وكاتبة بمكتبة روايتي وعضوة بفريق التصميم والترجمة و الافلام والسينما ومعطاء التسالي ونجمة الحصريات الفنية ومميز بالقسم الطبى

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
?  نُقآطِيْ » Dalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond repute
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Elk

J ORDAN WAS UP BRIGHT AND EARLY THE FOLLOWING MORNING. She drove the car over to Lloyd’s Garage and was parked and waiting for him to open his doors.
She hoped to get the car patched up* then drive to the grocery store she was told had a copy machine. If all went well* she could get one box finished and maybe half of another. Two of the boxes were filled to the top* and* fortunately* the professor hadn’t written on both sides of the paper because the pen he’d used on some of them had bled through.
The garage doors opened ten minutes after eight. After popping the hood and looking at the engine for about thirty seconds* the mechanic* a brute of a man about her age* leaned against the fender* crossed one ankle over the other* and gave her a slow and definitely creepy once-over while he wiped his hands on an oily rag.
He must have thought he’d missed something in his rude inspection because he gave her the once-over again* and then again. Honest to Pete* her car hadn’t gotten this much attention.
She was going to have to put up with the jerk because he was the only mechanic in town until next Monday.
“I’m pretty certain the radiator has a leak*” she said. “So what do you think? Can you patch it up?”
The mechanic had his name* Lloyd* printed on a strip of masking tape and stuck to his shirt pocket. The edges were curling up. He turned away* tossed the dirty rag on a nearby rack* and then turned around again.
“Can I patch it? Depends*” he drawled. “It’s egregious is what it is.”
“It is?”
“You know…salivient.”
Lloyd obviously liked to use big words whenever possible* even when those words didn’t make sense. Salivient? Was that even a word?
“But you can fix it?”
“It’s almost beyond repair* sweetie.”
Sweetie? I don’t think so. She silently counted to five in an attempt to keep her temper under control so she wouldn’t blow up. It wouldn’t do to alienate the man who could get her car running.
Good old Lloyd had worked his way down to her feet and was on his way back up when he said* “What we have here is a serious situation.”
“We do?” Determined to get along no matter how irritating the man was* she nodded. “You said it was almost beyond repair?”
“That’s right. Almost.”
She crossed her arms and waited for him to finish another trip down her legs and back. He should have them memorized by now. “Would you care to explain?”
“Your radiator has a leak.”
She felt like screaming. She’d already told him that.
“I could probably repair it temporarily* but I can’t guarantee it would hold*” Lloyd continued.
“How long will it take you to repair it?”
“Depends on what I find under the hood.” He raised his eyebrows meaningfully* and when she didn’t immediately react* he added* “You know what I mean?”
She knew exactly what he meant. Lloyd was a real degenerate. Her patience ended. “You’ve already looked under the hood*” she snapped.
Her obvious anger didn’t appear to faze him. He must be used to rejection* she decided. Either that or he’d stood outside in the sun too long and had fried his brain.
“Are you married* sweetie?”
“Am I what?”
“Married. Are you married? I need to know who to bill*” he explained.
“Bill me.”
“I’m just being hospitable. You don’t need to snap at me.”
“How long will the repair take?”
“A day…maybe two.”
“Okay* then*” she said pleasantly. “I’ll be on my way.”
He didn’t understand until she walked around him and opened the car door.
“Wait a minute. You’re leaving with a leak…”
“Yes* that’s right.”
He snorted. “You won’t get far.”
“I’ll take my chances.”
He thought she was bluffing until she started the engine and began to back out of the garage.
“I could maybe fix it by noon*” he blurted.
“Maybe?”
“Okay* for sure by noon*” he agreed. “And I won’t charge you much.”
She put the brakes on. “How much?”
“Sixty-five* maybe seventy* but no more than eighty. I don’t take credit cards* and since you’re from out of town* I won’t take a check. You’ll have to give me cash.”
Lured by the promise that she could have her car back by noon* she agreed* and handed the keys over to Lloyd.
She walked back to the motel but stopped in the lobby to speak to Amelia Ann.
“I have several boxes of papers I need to photocopy*” she said. “The grocery store near the Parson’s Creek bridge has a copier* but it’s quite a walk from here and I was wondering if there are any copy machines closer.”
“Let me do some checking for you while you go have some breakfast. I think maybe I can find one for you.”
The Home Away from Home Motel had a closet-sized coffee shop. Jordan was the only customer. She didn’t have much of an appetite and ordered toast and orange juice.
Amelia Ann came looking for her. “I only had to make a couple of calls*” she said. “And you’re in luck. Charlene over at the Nelson Insurance Agency has a brand-spanking-new copy machine. The company put it in last week* and it’s on trial* so they don’t care how many papers you have to copy just as long as you pay for the paper you use. Steve Nelson carries the insurance on this motel* so he’s not going to mind doing a favor.”
“That’s wonderful*” Jordan said. “Thank you so much.”
“I don’t mind helping out when I can. Charlene said to tell you the machine has a feeder* so it will copy lickety-split.”
The news just kept getting better. The insurance agency was only three short blocks away from the motel* and the copier was in a room all by itself* so Jordan wouldn’t bother Charlene or her boss while she worked.
The copy machine was an absolute dream* and she made quick progress. She was interrupted only once when a client of the agency* Kyle Heffermint* stopped by to get some figures. While Charlene was gathering them for him* he spotted Jordan in the copy room and took it upon himself to act as the welcoming committee for the town of Serenity. He leaned against the wall and chatted as Jordan continued to feed pages into the machine. Kyle was a pleasant man* and she enjoyed hearing all about the history and politics of the community* even though his habits of repeating her name and punctuating his comments by raising one eyebrow were a bit annoying. After she declined his fourth offer to “show her around*” Charlene came to the rescue and ushered him to the door.
Jordan had copied two full boxes before noon. Staggering under the weight* she carried the first and the second box of originals back to her motel room and then returned for the copies. She stuffed some of the pages in her tote bag with her laptop so she could start reading while she had lunch.
It was a quarter to twelve when she arrived at Lloyd’s Garage to find the coolant reservoir and most of the engine lined up on a tarp.
Lloyd was sprawled out in a metal chair* fanning himself with a folded newspaper* but the second he spotted her in the doorway he tossed the paper aside and jumped to attention. He put his hands up as though to ward off a blow and blurted* “Now don’t get yourself in a roar.”
The radiator hose was draped over the coolant reservoir in the center of the tarp. She stared at it while she casually asked* “What is all this?”
“Parts…belongs inside your car. I ran into a few problems*” he continued. He couldn’t quite look her in the eye. “I was wanting to make sure it was a leak in the radiator and not something else* so I pulled the hose to check for a tear and there wasn’t any* and then I decided to check the clamp* and it was okay* and then I decided I might as well check a couple of other things too. And what do you know…the leak turned out to be in the radiator after all* just like I suspected. Better safe than sorry* don’t you think? And I’m not charging extra for the extra work. A thank-you will be fine. Oh* and one more thing*” he added in another rush. “I’ll get it fixed by tomorrow noon* like I promised.”
She took a deep breath. “You promised it would be fixed by noon today.” She was so furious she’d been played* her voice shook.
“No* you made an assumption.”
“You promised noon today*” she repeated forcefully.
“No* I never said today. That’s where the assumption part comes in. I just said noon. I didn’t say noon today or noon tomorrow.” And without pausing for breath* he asked* “Since you’re going to have to stay in town another night and don’t know a soul* how about having dinner with me?”
Lloyd apparently lived in another dimension.
“Put it all back. Put it all back now.”
“What?”
“You heard me. I want you to put everything back where it belongs. Do it now* please.”
Lloyd must not have liked the look in her eyes because he took a hasty step back. “I can’t*” he said. “I’ve got another job to finish first.”
“Really? Then you weren’t taking a nap when I walked in?”
“I wasn’t napping. I was taking a break.”

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع
أنْت يـَـــا اللَّـه 【 تَكْفِينِي 】ツ

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-03-11, 01:24 AM   #12

Dalyia

إدارية ومشرفة سابقة وكاتبة بمكتبة روايتي وعضوة بفريق التصميم والترجمة و الافلام والسينما ومعطاء التسالي ونجمة الحصريات الفنية ومميز بالقسم الطبى

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
?  نُقآطِيْ » Dalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond repute
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Chirolp Krackr

She knew it would be pointless to argue with him. “When will my car be ready?”
“Noon tomorrow*” he said. “See what just happened here? I said noon tomorrow* so I can’t get out of it. Once I say something* it’s said.”
She blinked. What in heaven’s name was that supposed to mean? Maybe she hadn’t heard him correctly. “Once you say something…”
“It’s said*” he repeated with a nod. “And that means I can’t take it back.”
“I would like you to put it in writing*” she said. “Guarantee the time the car will be ready and the price*” she added. “Then sign it.”
“All right. I’ll do it*” he promised as he turned and went inside the shop. He came back out a minute later with a pad and a pen. He leaned against the car as he wrote and signed the guarantee. He even dated it without being asked.
“Satisfied?” he asked after he’d given her the paper and she’d read it.
She nodded. “I’ll be back here at noon tomorrow. Don’t disappoint me.”
“What are you gonna do? Hurt me?”
“I might.” She started to walk away.
“Hold on now.”
“Yes?”
“You’ve got to eat sometime. What about having dinner with me?”
She attempted to be gracious as she declined his invitation. She even went so far as to thank him for inviting her. He seemed placated when she left him.
Her steps slowed as she walked over to Jaffee’s Bistro. It was beastly hot. By the time she got there* she was dying from the heat and the humidity. How did the residents of Serenity stand it? The temperature on the thermometer outside the restaurant registered ninety-eight.
Angela was carrying a plate to one of the tables when Jordan walked in.
“Hey* Jordan.”
“Hey* Angela.” Good Lord* now she was beginning to sound like a local. The realization made her smile.
“You want your usual table? Let me just clear it for you.”
The restaurant was nearly full* and all the customers watched her as she made her way to the corner table. They were obviously curious about outsiders.
“Are you in a hurry* or can you do with iced tea for a little bit?”
“I can wait* and tea would be great.”
Angela brought the drink right away and then went back to helping the other customers while Jordan looked over the menu. When she had decided on a chicken salad* she put the menu down* opened her laptop and turned it on* and then spread out some of the research papers so she could start reading.
She made notes while she read so she could check the professor’s research when she got back to Boston.
“Your fingers are flying over those keys*” Angela said. “Am I interrupting your train of thought?”
“No* you’re not*” she said* glancing up from the screen.
“What were you doing?”
“I had been making notes* but just now I was merging my calendar with a spreadsheet. Nothing important*” she added as she closed the laptop.
“So you must know a lot about computers…you know* how they work and all.”
“Yes*” she answered. “I work with computers.”
“Jaffee’s got to meet you. He’s got a computer* but it won’t work right. Maybe you could answer a couple of questions for him after you have your lunch.”
“I’d be happy to help*” she said.
The restaurant had emptied by the time she finished her salad. Angela came out from the kitchen with the owner. She made the introductions* and Jordan complimented him on the restaurant.
“It’s a charming place*” she said.
“It’s named after me of course*” he told her with a grin. “My first name’s Vernon* but everyone likes to call me just plain Jaffee. I like it too*” he admitted. “Where are you from* Jordan Buchanan?” Jaffee had a wonderful twang in his voice* like a guitar string being plucked.
“Boston*” she replied. “What about you? Did you grow up in Serenity* or are you a transplant like Angela?”
“Transplant*” he replied* flashing a smile. “From another tiny town you’ve probably never heard of. I did a spell in San Antonio. That’s where I met my wife* Lily. She worked at the same restaurant* and you know…we kind of clicked. We’ve been married fourteen years* and we’re still clicking. What’s the weather like in Boston? Does it get as hot as it does here?”
The conversation about the heat lasted a good ten minutes. Jordan didn’t know anyone* aside from a meteorologist* who was more interested in the weather than Jaffee.
“Mind if I sit with you a spell?” he asked as he pulled out a chair across from her and sat down. “Angela said you wouldn’t mind answering some questions about computers.”
“I don’t mind at all*” she said.
“Did you like your salad? City girls always like salads* don’t they?”
She laughed. “This city girl does.”
Jaffee was such a nice man* and he was definitely in the mood to chat.
“I had quite a crowd here for breakfast. Always do. I don’t have half that many for lunch. Truth is* I barely break even in the summer months* even serving dinner* but come fall I do a real nice business. My wife has to come in and help out then. My chocolate cake is famous around here. I expect folks will come dribbling in later this afternoon for a slice or two. Don’t you worry though. I already put back a slice for you.”
She thought he was going to get up when he shifted in his chair. She reached for one of her folders so she could read another outrageous story about the saintly MacKennas and the demonic Buchanans.
Jaffee wasn’t going anywhere. He was merely getting comfortable. “Chocolate cake is how I ended up owning this coffee shop.”
She put the folder down and gave him her full attention. “How did that happen?”
“Trumbo Motors*” he said. “Dave Trumbo to be exact. He owns a dealership in Bourbon* which is about forty miles from here. Anyway* Dave and his wife* Suzanne* were vacationing in San Antonio* and they had dinner in the restaurant where I was working. I’d made my chocolate cake* and boy oh boy* did he take to it. He had three slices before his wife made him stop.” He laughed then. “He’s got a real love for chocolate* but Suzanne won’t let him have it very often. She worries about his cholesterol and such. Anyway*” he continued* “Dave couldn’t get that cake out of his mind* and he sure didn’t want to have to drive all the way to San Antonio* which as you know is quite a trek from here. So what did he do? He made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. First of all he told me about Serenity and how there wasn’t a good restaurant to speak of* and then he told me he went to his good friend Eli Whitaker. Eli’s a rich rancher who’s always looking for a good investment. Dave convinced him to give me start-up money. Eli owns this building* but I don’t have to pay rent until I start making a big enough profit. He’s what we call a silent partner. He rarely looks at the books* and some months when I get my bank statement* I see there’s been a deposit made into the account. He won’t own up to it* but I know he or maybe Trumbo is putting the extra money in.”
“They sound like good men*” she said.
“Oh* they are*” Jaffee replied. “Eli’s a bit of a recluse. He comes in here a lot* but I don’t think he’s left Serenity since he settled here fifteen years ago. You just might get to meet him this afternoon. Dave’s bringing him his new truck. Eli buys a new one every year.”
Jordan thought Jaffee was about to get up* so she reached for the folder again.
“Dave’s our best advertisement. The man loves his chocolate* and lots of folks come in because Dave told them how good the food is.”
“Does Trumbo Motors have a good mechanic?”
“They sure do. More than one.” Jaffee chuckled. “I heard Lloyd was giving you a hard time.”
Her eyes widened. “You did? How did you hear that?”
“This is a small town* and people like to talk.”
“And they’ve been talking about me?” She couldn’t keep the surprise out of her voice.
“Oh my* yes. You’re the talk of the town. Beautiful woman like you coming here* not putting on any airs at all* talking to ordinary folks.”
She couldn’t imagine whom he was talking about. She certainly didn’t feel beautiful. And what ordinary folks had she talked to* and what did he mean by ordinary?
“You look flabbergasted*” he said* grinning. “It’s different here than Boston. We like to think we’re more friendly* but the fact is we’re nosy. You get used to it* everyone knowing everyone else’s business. I’ll tell you what* when Dave gets here with Eli’s truck* he’ll come in for cake* and I’ll introduce you. I’ll bet good money he already knows about your car situation.”
“But you said he lives in another town…”
“He does*” he said. “He lives in Bourbon* but everyone in Serenity buys their cars and trucks from him. He’s got the best dealership around. I keep telling him he ought to go on television to advertise like those city fellas do* but he says no* he doesn’t want his picture taken. He’s camera shy I guess* and he likes dealing with the local folks. He’s always coming over to Serenity. His wife gets her hair and nails done over here too* so she hears the latest news from the other ladies in the beauty shop.”
Jaffee finally got around to his computer questions* and when Jordan explained what various commands were for* he seemed satisfied. He went back to the kitchen to start a sauce* but Jordan kept thinking about life in a small town. It would drive her nuts if everyone knew what everyone else was doing. Then she thought about her family* and she realized she already lived that life.
All six brothers were loving* sweet* and horribly intrusive. Maybe they had learned to interfere because of their jobs. Four were in law enforcement* though she probably shouldn’t count Theo because he worked for the Justice Department* and unlike Nick and Dylan and Alec* Theo didn’t carry a gun all the time. They were used to snooping into other people’s lives—but then again* as far back as she could remember* they always made sure they knew what she and her sister were up to. They used to scare the heck out of her high school dates. She would complain to her father* but that never did any good* and she thought that secretly he was on her brothers’ side.
Big families were just like small towns. No doubt about it. Just like the Highland clans she was reading about. According to the professor’s research material* the Buchanans were always interfering. They seemed to know every little thing the MacKennas did* and every little thing made them mad as hornets. They never forgot a slight. Jordan couldn’t imagine how they kept track of all the feuds going on.
Papers were spread out all over the table. She was trying to decipher some notes the professor had made in the margins. They didn’t make sense—numbers* names* dollar signs* and other symbols randomly scribbled. Was that a crown? Some of the numbers could be dates. Had something important happened in 1284?
She heard Jaffee laughing and looked up just as he came out of the kitchen. A man followed carrying a dinner plate with a huge slice of chocolate cake. Had to be Dave Trumbo.
The big man strode toward her with an air of self-confidence. His face was hard* as though each feature had been carved in stone. His shoulders were broad* and from the way he was dressed in a crisp white shirt* striped tie* dark gray pants* and black loafers* she knew he took time and care with his appearance. Trumbo was what her mother would call dapper. He removed his designer sunglasses and chuckled over something Jaffee had said.
He had a winning smile and an easy way about him. He looked her right in the eye as he shook her hand and told her how nice it was to meet her. Oh* he was smooth all right. She didn’t have to ask if he’d lived in Texas all his life. Dapper Dave had a slow Texas drawl. Noah was born in Texas and would occasionally slip into that drawl too* she remembered* especially when he was being flirtatious.
“Jaffee told me you were having some trouble with Lloyd* and I’m real sorry to hear it. If you want* I could have a talk with him. If he doesn’t cooperate* I’ll tell you what. I could have your car towed over to Bourbon and one of my mechanics could put it back together for you. It’s a shame you can’t just trade it in for a new car. I’ve got a deal on a brand-new Chevy Suburban no one could turn down.”
“Her car’s a rental* Dave*” Jaffee reminded him.
He nodded. “I know it is. That’s why I said it was a shame she couldn’t trade it in. You ought to go after the people who rented you that vehicle. It’s not right* doing business that way.”
Jaffee told Dave that she was from Boston* and she answered several questions about her city. Dave hadn’t been there yet* but wanted to take his family there for a vacation.
“Dave’s got a boy and a girl*” Jaffee interjected.
He nodded. “I sure do. It’s why I have to work so hard. I best eat this cake in the kitchen in case my wife happens by. She’s coming to town sometime this afternoon to get something or other done to her hair. She’s perfect the way she is* but she likes to keep up she says with the latest styles she sees in the magazines. If she sees me eating this cake* she’ll have a fit. She has me on a low-carb* low-fat* low-taste diet.” He patted his stomach. “I am getting a little thick in the middle* but this cake is worth a couple of extra miles on the treadmill.”
He didn’t look thick* he looked trim and fit. He wouldn’t stay that way though if he continued eating so much sugar. She spotted what she thought was the top of a chocolate bar wrapper sticking out of his shirt pocket. Dave did love his chocolate.
Jaffee turned to look out the front window. “Eli’s parking his truck across the street*” he said. “It looks brand-new.”
“It’s a year old this month*” Dave said. “Which is why he’s trading it in. Eli can afford any car he wants* and Lord knows* I’ve tried to get him to buy a luxury sedan* but he keeps on ordering the same pickup* just a new model* every year. He won’t even choose a different color. Always black.”
Jordan could see the rancher crossing the street. Eli Whitaker was a good-looking man—tall* dark* and admittedly handsome. She’d expected a rancher to be wearing cowboy boots and a Stetson* but he was dressed in jeans* a polo shirt* and tennis shoes.
He gave her a broad smile when Jaffee introduced her* and his hand felt warm when he shook hers. “It’s a pleasure to meet you* Jordan*” he said.
Jaffee quickly filled him in on the reason she was in town.
“Sorry to hear about your bad luck* but if there’s a good place in the country to get stranded* I think you’ve picked the right one. You’ll find the people around Serenity just about as hospitable as they come. You let me know if there’s anything I can do to help.”
“Thank you*” Jordan said. “Everyone’s been very helpful. My car should be ready tomorrow* and I’ll be on my way again.”
The three men stood at her table and continued to chat for a few more minutes* though they did most of the talking and she did most of the listening.
Finally Dave Trumbo said* “Well* it was a pleasure visiting with you* Jordan Buchanan* and next time you’re in this area* you be sure to drop by Trumbo Motors. No one undersells me*” he boasted. He threw his hand over Eli’s shoulder and said* “You want a piece of cake* Eli? Let’s go back to the kitchen and let this young lady get back to her homework.”
Get back to her homework? Did he think she was in summer school?
“That’s not homework* Dave*” Jaffee said. “Those are stories she’s reading about her relatives in Scotland. Stories from way back when. She came all this way to read these papers from some professor. Isn’t that right* Jordan?”
“Yes* that’s right. It’s Professor MacKenna’s research.”
Dave peered over her shoulder at what she was reading. “You understand all that?” he asked.
Jordan laughed. “I’m trying. Sometimes it’s not very clear*” she answered.
“Looks like homework to me. I’ll let you work in peace.” He turned and* with his hand still on Eli’s shoulder* headed toward the kitchen with Jaffee close behind.
Time got away from Jordan* and it was almost four o’clock when she gathered up her papers. Jaffee stood in the doorway watching her slip her laptop into her bag. He scratched the back of his neck and said* “Listen* about those commands…”
“Yes?”
“They’re not working. We’re kind of computer illiterate in Serenity* but we’re trying to catch up with the rest of Texas and the world. All the young kids learn about computers over in the consolidated schools* but we’re not quite there yet in Serenity. The town’s beginning to grow and we just got our first high school built* so we’re hoping to get some good teachers in here soon. Maybe they can even teach some of us old folks. I’ve got a nice big computer in the back* but it’s not responding to any of the commands you gave me. I did something…I don’t know what* and I ruined it.”
She smiled. “Ruined it? Unless you took a sledgehammer to it* it’s difficult to ruin a computer. I’ll be happy to look at it.”
“I’d sure appreciate it. I’ve put in several calls to computer technicians over in Bourbon* but they’re dragging their feet getting here.”
He’d been so nice to her* letting her hang out in his restaurant all day* it was the least she could do. She grabbed her bag and followed him into the kitchen. Jaffee’s office was in a little nook by the back door. The computer was archaic by today’s standards. There were cables running every which way. Most of them weren’t necessary.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-03-11, 01:25 AM   #13

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Chirolp Krackr

“What do you think?” Jaffee asked. “Can you save her and get her running again?”
“Her?”
“I sometimes call her Dora*” he admitted sheepishly.
She didn’t laugh. His face was turning red* and she knew it was embarrassing for him to admit he humanized the machine.
“Let me see what I can do.” She figured she had plenty of time to get back to the insurance agency and finish copying the papers in the last box. There wasn’t that much left to do* so if the agency closed* she could always finish in the morning.
Jaffee returned to his work in the kitchen* and she went to work rebuilding the computer. She removed every cable* tossed out two of them* and unscrambled and rerouted two others. Once that was done* it didn’t take her any time at all to get the computer running. Next she tackled the programs someone had installed for him. They too were archaic. Jaffee was trying to run three different ones* and all of them were complicated. Had she had the time and the equipment* she would have written a new program for him. She would have had fun doing it too* and oh* God* what did that say about her? She swore then and there that if she ever named her computers and humanized them* she’d pack it in.
Since she couldn’t install new software* she decided to try to simplify one of the existing programs.
The next time Jaffee checked on her he was thrilled to see the blue screen.
“You’ve got it working again. Oh* thank goodness. But what’s all that gibberish you’re typing?”
It would take too long to explain. “Dora and I are having a little chat. When I’m finished* the program will be easier for you to run.”
After the last customer had left at eight-thirty* Jaffee closed the restaurant and sat down with her to go over the changes she’d made.
She spent an hour helping him familiarize himself with his computer. He made copious notes on Post-its and stuck them on his wall. She had already programmed in her e-mail address so he could write to her with questions if he got into a bind* but he asked that she also give him her cell phone number just in case he couldn’t get the e-mail to work.
She thought she was finished* but he handed her a stack of e-mail addresses and begged her to put those in his address book. Eli Whitaker was at the top of the list. Dave Trumbo came next. She smiled when she read his e-mail address. DangerousDealer-Dave. She added it without comment and went on to the next one.
When everything was complete* Jaffee insisted on walking her back to the motel.
“I know it’s not that far and we’ve got streetlights* but I’m going to walk with you just the same. I want to stretch my legs anyway.”
It was still hot outside* but the temperature had dropped a little with the setting of the sun. When they reached the drive that led to the motel entrance* Jaffee wished her a good night and strolled on.
Jordan walked into the lobby thinking she could take a shortcut to her room. The lobby was packed with women.
Amelia Ann rushed forward to greet her at the door. “I’m so happy you could make it.”
“I’m sorry?” Jordan responded.
Amelia Ann’s daughter* Candy* sat at the front desk. She printed Jordan’s name on a pink name tag and hurried over to stick it on her shoulder.
“We’re happy you can join us*” Amelia Ann bubbled.
“What am I joining?” Jordan asked* smiling at all the women staring at her.
“I’m giving Charlene a late-night bridal shower. You remember Charlene*” she said in a whisper. “She let you photocopy your papers at the insurance agency where she works.”
“Yes* of course.” Jordan searched through the smiling faces for Charlene’s. “It’s so nice of you to invite me* but I don’t want to intrude.”
“Nonsense*” Amelia Ann protested. “We’d love to have you.”
Jordan lowered her voice. “But I don’t have a gift.”
“That’s easy to fix*” Amelia Ann said. “How about giving her a place setting of china? Charlene chose a real pretty pattern. Vera Wang.”
“Yes* I’ll be happy to—” Jordan began.
“Don’t worry about a thing. I’ll order it tomorrow* and I’ll add it to your bill. Candy? Go wrap another gift card and write Jordan’s name on it.”
Jordan met all twenty-three women and was thankful that they were wearing name tags too. For the next hour* she watched the unwrapping of the gifts while she drank sweet punch and ate mints and white cake with thick* gooey icing.
By the time she returned to her room* Jordan was on a sugar high. Then she crashed.
She slept hard that night* returned all of her phone calls the next morning* and didn’t leave the motel until after ten. Her plan was to walk over to the insurance agency to copy the rest of the papers* bring them back to the motel* and then run over to Lloyd’s Garage and wait there for Lloyd to finish the repairs. And he would finish them* she decided* even if she had to stand behind him and prod him with a crowbar. One thing was certain: she wasn’t going to put up with any more delays or surprises.
Her plan didn’t work out. Charlene gave her the bad news. “They picked up the machine and hauled it off about an hour after Steve told the salesman he wasn’t going to buy it. Did you have a lot more to copy?”
“A couple hundred pages*” she answered
She thanked Charlene again and retraced her steps to the motel. Okay* new plan. She’d get the car* check out the copy machine at the grocery store* and if that machine didn’t have the capability of feeding the pages in* she’d look for another one.
Lloyd was pacing in front of the garage. The second he spotted her he shouted* “It’s ready. All ready to go. Early too. I told you I’d fix it* and I did. Okay?”
He was a nervous twit. His hand trembled when he thrust the itemized bill at her. He was obviously in a hurry to get rid of her* for he didn’t even count the money she gave him.
“Is something wrong?”
“No* no*” he rushed out. “You can be on your way now.” Without a backward glance* he hurried back into the garage.
She put her purse and her laptop on the passenger seat next to her and started the engine. Everything seemed to be in working order. Lloyd* she decided* ranked up there with Professor MacKenna for weirdness. She was happy she didn’t have to deal with him any longer.
She drove directly to the grocery store and was elated to find a modern copy machine with all the bells and whistles. She was back in business. She thought she could have everything done in a couple of hours if she hurried. Then she’d call the professor and get his boxes back to him.
Better safe than sorry* she reminded herself. To be prepared in case the car acted up on the road again* she bought water and planned to stop at a filling station to buy some antifreeze for the radiator if it sprang another leak.
She carried four gallons of water* two in each arm* out of the store. The parking lot was deserted. No wonder. No one would choose to go grocery shopping in the god-awful heat of the day. Today was already a scorcher. She squinted against the sun bouncing off the cement. She felt like she was getting sunburned just walking across the lot. She placed the containers on the ground next to the trunk of the car. While she was digging through her purse for the keys* she noticed a piece of clear plastic protruding from the seam of the trunk and thought it was odd that she hadn’t noticed that before. She tried to pull it free* but it wouldn’t budge.
She found the key* slid it into the lock* and the lid sprang upward as she stepped back. Jordan looked inside…and froze. Then she very gently lowered the lid.
“No*” she whispered. “Couldn’t be.” She shook her head in denial. She was just seeing things* that was all. Her mind was playing tricks on her. It was all that sugar she’d eaten…and the heat. Yes* that was it. The heat. She’d had a terrible heat stroke and just didn’t know it.
She opened the lid again. She felt as though her heart had just stopped beating. There* curled up like a tabby cat inside the biggest Ziploc bag she’d ever seen* was Professor MacKenna. His lifeless eyes were open* and he seemed to be staring at her. She was so stunned she couldn’t breathe. She didn’t know how long she stood there staring down at the man* two seconds* maybe three* but it seemed an eternity before her mind would let her body react.
Then she freaked. She dropped her purse* tripped over one of the gallons of water* and slammed the trunk lid closed. No matter how desperately she tried* she couldn’t convince herself that she hadn’t seen a dead body in her trunk.
What in God’s name was he doing in there?
Okay* she was going to have to look again* but oh* Lord* she didn’t want to. She took a deep breath* turned the key again* and mentally braced herself.
Oh* God* he was still there.
She left the key in the lock* ran to the side of the car* and all but dove through the window to get her cell phone from the front seat.
Who should she call? The Serenity Police Department? County or local? The sheriff? Or the FBI?
Jordan knew two things for certain. One* she was being set up* and two* she was in way over her head. She was a law-abiding citizen* damn it. She didn’t carry dead bodies around in her trunk* and she* therefore* didn’t have the faintest idea what to do with it.
She needed advice—and fast. The first person she wanted to call was her father. He was a federal judge* so of course he would know what to do. But he was also a worrier* like most fathers were* and he had enough on his plate now with the explosive trial under way in Boston.
She decided to call Nick. He worked for the FBI* and he would tell her what to do.
The phone suddenly rang. The sound so startled her she let out a yelp and nearly threw the phone down.
“Yes?” She sounded as though she were being strangled.
Her sister was on the line. She didn’t seem to notice the hysteria in Jordan’s voice.
“You are not going to believe what I found. I wasn’t even looking for a dress* but I ended up buying two of them. They were on sale* and I almost got one for you too* but I thought our tastes are so different you might not like it. Should I go back and buy it anyway? The sale won’t last long* and I could always return it—”
“What? Oh* God* Sidney* what are you talking about? Never mind. Are you home?”
“Yes. Why?”
“Is anyone else home with you?”
“No*” she answered. “Why? Jordan* is something wrong?”
She wondered how Sidney would react if she told her the truth. Yes* something’s wrong. There’s a dead body in the trunk of my car.
Jordan couldn’t tell her. If Sidney did believe her* she’d only become upset* and there really wasn’t anything she could do about it from Boston. Besides* as dear as her younger sister was* she could never keep a secret* and she’d immediately find their mother and father and tell them. Come to think of it* she’d tell anyone who’d listen.
“I’ll explain later*” she said. “I have to call Nick now.”
“Wait. What about the dress? Do you want—”
Jordan disconnected the call without answering the question and quickly dialed Nick’s cell phone.
Her brother didn’t answer. His partner* Noah* did.
Dear God in heaven* she couldn’t catch a break to save her life.
“Hi* Jordan. Nick can’t talk right now. I’ll have him call you back. You still in Texas?”
“Yes* but Noah—”
“Great state* isn’t it?”
“I’m in trouble.”
The panic in her voice came through the phone loud and clear. “What kind of trouble?” he asked quietly.
“There’s a dead body in the trunk of my car.”
He didn’t miss a beat. “No kidding.”
Could he have been more blasé? “He’s in a Ziploc bag.”
“Yeah?”
She didn’t know why she’d felt the need to add that extra bit of information* but at the moment it seemed vitally important that he know about the plastic.
“And he’s wearing blue-and-white-striped pajamas. No slippers though.”
“Jordan* take a breath and calm down.”
“Calm down? Did you hear what I just said? Did you catch the part about the dead body in the trunk of my car?”
“Yes* I heard what you said*” he replied* his voice maddeningly unruffled. He sounded as though her news wasn’t such a big deal* which of course was ridiculous* but even so* the fact that he was so calm helped her get a grip.
“Do you know who he is?”
“Professor MacKenna*” she said. She took a deep breath and lowered her voice. “I met him at Dylan’s wedding reception. I had dinner with him last night. No* that’s not right. Two nights ago. I thought he was disgusting. He ate like a wild animal. It’s horrible to talk about the dead like that* isn’t it? Except he wasn’t dead…”
She realized she was rambling and stopped in mid-sentence. A minivan pulled into the lot and parked near the front door. A middle-aged woman got out* squinted at Jordan* and then went inside.
“I’ve got to get out of here*” she whispered. “I’ve got to get rid of him. Right? I mean it’s pretty obvious I’m being set up for murder.”
“Jordan* where are you now?”
“I’m in a grocery store parking lot in Serenity* Texas. It’s so small it’s barely on the map. It’s about forty miles west of Bourbon* Texas. Maybe I could dump the body there. You know* find an isolated spot and—”
“You’re not going to dump the body anywhere. Here’s what you’re going to do. You’re going to call it in* and so will I*” he explained. “I’m also going to get a couple of FBI agents over there within an hour* two tops. And Phoenix isn’t that far away. Nick and I will get there real soon.”
“I am being set up* aren’t I? Oh* God* I hear sirens. They’re coming for me* aren’t they?”
“Jordan* hang up now and call it in before they get there. If you’re arrested* you ask for a lawyer and don’t say another word. Got that?”
The wailing of the siren indicated the police were just a couple of blocks away when the 911 operator answered Jordan’s call. She quickly explained what the emergency was and then gave her name and location.
The operator was giving her instructions to stay where she was when a gray sedan came careening into the lot.
“The sheriff’s car just pulled in.”
“The sheriff?” The operator sounded surprised.
“Yes*” Jordan said. “That’s what’s printed on the side of the car* and I’m sure you can hear the siren through the phone.”
Jordan couldn’t hear the operator’s next question. The car screeched to a stop about twenty feet away* and a man jumped out of the passenger side of the front seat. He wasn’t wearing a uniform.
He ran toward her* a chilling look on his face. She saw something flying at her and instinctively turned away trying to protect herself* but the blow caught her on her right cheek and she went down.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-03-11, 01:25 AM   #14

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

T HE ARGUMENT WAS OVER JURISDICTION. JORDAN HEARD raised voices and opened her eyes just as a paramedic placed an ice pack on her cheek. She tried to push it away. She was dazed and disoriented.
“What happened?” she asked in a whisper as she struggled to sit up. The cement was burning her arm.
One of the paramedics* a young man dressed in a blue uniform* took hold of her arm to help her. Still feeling light-headed* she leaned against him.
“You got hit*” he said. “That’s what happened. When Barry and I pulled up* the Dickey brothers were here. We heard Sheriff Randy yelling at his brother* J. D.* because J. D. jumped out of the car and lit into you. He stopped yelling at him* though* when he saw me sprinting across the lot. Now he and his brother are arguing with Serenity’s chief of police.”
“What are they arguing about?” she asked. Her head was pounding* and her jaw felt as though it had come unhinged.
“J. D. insists that you were resisting arrest and that he thought he was helping his brother out when he hit you to restrain you so Sheriff Randy could get his handcuffs on you.”
Jordan grew more and more clearheaded by the second. “That’s not true.”
“I know it isn’t*” he whispered so the Dickey brothers wouldn’t hear him. “Barry and I heard your 911 call* and we got here as quick as we could* which really wasn’t any time at all because our little clinic is only three blocks away. We knew something had happened to you. One second we could hear you talking as clear as a bell* and the next second we hear what sounded like a half shout. You know what I mean?”
“He knocked the phone out of my hand.”
“He smashed it to bits is what he did. I’m afraid you’re going to have to buy yourself a new one. Right now they aren’t arguing about your phone though. Sheriff Randy is saying that you were in his county when you took off and headed over here. You’re in GradyCounty now*” he explained. “Randy Dickey is sheriff in JessupCounty* and how he ended up sheriff is a mystery none of us can figure out. He must have made a lot of promises. Anyway* Sheriff Randy’s jurisdiction ends at the foot of the bridge that crosses the creek. Once you get on that bridge* you’re in GradyCounty. We have a sheriff too* but he’s in Hawaii on vacation with his wife and kids* and we only see him once in a blue moon because he lives way east in Grady’s county seat.”
Barry* the other paramedic* had been listening to their conversation. He popped a toothpick into his mouth* parked it in the corner* and strolled over.
“The only reason Sheriff Randy comes around here is because his brother lives in Serenity. He likes to go fishing with him. Del* you ought to make her keep that ice pack on her cheek. It’s already swelling under her eye. I think we need to take her to the clinic and get an X-ray.”
“No* I’m okay. I don’t need an X-ray.”
“We can’t make you go with us*” Del said. “If you refuse treatment* there’s nothing we can do* but if you start feeling sick to your stomach or dizzy* you tell us* okay?”
“Yes* I’ll tell you.”
“Could I ask you something?” Del asked. “What was it like finding a body in your car? It would have given me a heart attack. Barry and I figure you didn’t have anything to do with the murder because* if you did* you sure wouldn’t have called 911* would you?”
“You look like you’re hurting*” Barry said.
“I’m okay. I’ve just got a little headache* that’s all* and I don’t want to take anything that might dull my anger. I swear to heaven—”
“Now* now* it’s not good to get all upset*” Barry said. “Especially after taking such a hit.”
Del motioned Barry closer. “If Maggie Haden could get away with it* she’d hand her over to Sheriff Randy and his brother in a heartbeat.”
Barry agreed. “She wouldn’t lose any sleep over it either*” he whispered.
“Who’s Maggie Haden?” Jordan asked. She was trying to see what was going on with the chief and the Dickey brothers* but the paramedics were blocking her.
“That’s her there. She’s the chief of police*” Del answered. “The chief and Sheriff Randy have a history. You know what I’m talking about? Everyone in town knows he got her the job.”
“She shouldn’t have gotten the job*” Barry grumbled. “She wasn’t qualified. Just because she was on the police force over in Bourbon doesn’t mean she should be the chief here in Serenity. But since nothing much ever happens here* I guess people don’t care if she knows what she’s doing or not.” He shifted the toothpick to the other side of his mouth and squatted down in front of Jordan. “It’s payback*” he whispered. “She wanted the job* and Randy owed her since he got married to someone else and left her high and dry.”
“How long has she been chief of police?” Jordan asked.
“About a year*” Del said.
“More like two years*” Barry offered.
“Don’t let the way she looks color your judgment. She’s a lot tougher than you’d think. She can be a real viper.”
Jordan leaned around Del to get a look. The chief had brassy* bleached blond hair and wore enough makeup to work in a circus.
“Getting the job of chief of police is a big deal around here. Serenity is kind of behind the times. The police station only just got a computer* and all the 9ll calls are routed through Bourbon.”
“I’m feeling much better now*” Jordan said. “And I’m tired of sitting on the ground and being a bystander. Please let me get up.”
Barry lifted her but didn’t let go of her. He insisted that she sit on the back bumper of the ambulance. “You lean on me if you feel dizzy.”
Surprisingly* she wasn’t at all dizzy* but her throbbing cheek reminded her that one of those brothers had punched her. Seething now* she was about to ask the paramedics which one was J. D. when Barry said* “Listen* if the chief does decide to hand you over* I’ll say we’re taking you to the clinic for an X-ray. I’m telling you right now* you don’t want to go anywhere with those brothers.”
“Okay*” she agreed. “You’re being very kind to me*” she said. “I appreciate it. I know it looks suspicious. I’m a stranger in town…”
“And there’s that body in your car*” Del reminded her.
“Yes*” she said. “But I am innocent. I didn’t kill anyone* and I assure you no one was more surprised than I was when I opened that trunk.”
“I’ll bet. My name’s Del* by the way. And he’s Barry.”
“My name’s Jordan Buchanan and—”
“We know who you are. The chief already got your driver’s license from your wallet*” Barry said. “She read your name out loud. You don’t remember? Del* maybe we should go ahead and get her head X-rayed.”
She hadn’t been aware that anyone had gone through her purse to get her identification. Had she been knocked unconscious? Maybe she’d just been knocked senseless. That’s what her mother used to ask her when she’d done something she didn’t approve of. Did you get knocked senseless?
“I don’t need an X-ray*” she said for the second time. “And I didn’t do anything wrong.”
“Looking guilty and being guilty are two different things*” Del said. He pulled the stethoscope from around his neck and handed it to Barry.
“I think you’re going to be okay*” Barry whispered as he folded the stethoscope and put it in the metal case before snapping it shut. “The chief knows that you weren’t over in Jessup County* and she also knows you weren’t involved in any car chase. There’s a witness.”
“And that witness is going to make it real hard for her to hand you over to the Dickeys.”
“She still might*” Del said.
“No* she can’t*” Barry argued. “Not with the witness. A woman coming out of the grocery store saw the whole thing. She also called 911* and she told the operator what she saw and how J. D. punched Miss Buchanan without any provocation. She said J. D. hopped out of the car like he had a swarm of wasps on his tail and grabbed her phone and punched her silly. Then he smashed her phone.”
“Miss Buchanan better hope that J. D. doesn’t get to the witness and scare the wits out of her so she’ll change her story.”
“It won’t matter. Every emergency call is taped* so there’s a record* and J. D. can’t change what’s already on the tape.”
The two men were talking about Jordan as though she weren’t even there. She was astonished that no one was doing anything about the body. She’d seen the chief of police glance into the trunk* but that was all. As far as Jordan knew* no one else had even looked. The paramedics certainly hadn’t. No one seemed interested in finding out who the victim was. She wondered when they were going to get around to that question.
“You think we’ll be taking the body to Bourbon?” Del asked.
“I’ll bet so. We’ll have to stick around until the crime scene people get here and the coroner releases the body.”
Weary of being on the sidelines* Jordan thanked the paramedics once again* and then walked closer to the chief and waited for her to acknowledge her.
One of the Dickey brothers noticed Jordan’s hands were free.
“Someone ought to put that suspect in handcuffs*” he said. “Someone who ought to know her job by now*” he added.
Jordan stepped forward. “Are you the one who hit me?”
He didn’t look her in the eye when he answered her. “No one hit you*” he snapped.
“For God’s sake* Randy* look at her face. Someone sure as hell hit her*” Maggie Haden yelled. “And there’s a witness.” Because the sheriff looked so surprised* she added with a nod* “Yes there is. A witness who saw your brother slap the cell phone out of this woman’s hand and then hit her with his fist.” Lowering her voice* she said* “So you can see nothing can be done or changed now. It’s too late. There could be a potential lawsuit over this.”
J. D. had been slouching against the hood of the sheriff’s car and shouting his jabs at the police chief* but when he heard about a witness* he lunged forward.
“What witness? Who saw what? If I’m going to be accused of something I didn’t do* I should get to know this witness’s name.”
“In good time* J. D.*” the chief said.
“Chief Haden* I want to press charges*” Jordan demanded.
“You be quiet*” Haden snapped.
“I want you to arrest him*” Jordan insisted.
The chief shook her head. “I don’t care what you want. Now keep your mouth shut.”
J. D. nodded his approval and then said* “Randy* doesn’t it seem curious to you that the chief is ranting about a little rough treatment subduing a violent suspect* and that suspect murdered a man. You can’t argue with that. The evidence is right there for anyone to see. The body ain’t in my car or yours* Randy. It’s in her car. And since when do we care about manhandling a murderer?”
The Dickey brothers were two of the most unattractive individuals Jordan had ever encountered. They were both built like used-up wrestlers who’d let their muscles go to flab. Their necks were thick* their shoulders round. J. D. was taller than his brother* but not much. Randy carried quite a paunch* and his face was elongated by a double chin. Both men had small eyes* but J. D.’s were set close like a ferret’s.
The chief of police finally turned her attention to Jordan.
“My name is Chief Haden*” she said. “And you are?”
Since she was holding Jordan’s driver’s license in her hand* the chief knew exactly who she was* but if she wanted to go through the formalities* Jordan wouldn’t argue. She told her her name and gave her address.
“I want some questions answered right here and now. Do you know who the man in the trunk of this car is?” she asked. “The deceased. Do you know his name?”
“Yes*” Jordan answered. “His name is Professor Horace Athens MacKenna.”
“How do you know him?” she asked.
Jordan quickly explained where and how she’d met the professor and why she was in Serenity. Chief Haden didn’t look like she believed a word Jordan was saying.
“You’ll be coming with me to the police station*” she said. “You’ve got a lot more explaining to do. We’ll wait here until the coroner arrives* so don’t give me any trouble or I’ll cuff you right now.”
Without a word* Sheriff Randy and his brother walked back to their car. J. D. had a disgusting smirk on his face.
“Chief Haden* may I ask you a question?” Jordan asked. She was still seething with anger* but she kept calm. Pleasant was too much to ask for.
“Make it quick.” The chief’s tone was snippy.
“How did the sheriff know there was a body in the trunk?”
“He said his brother got a tip on his cell phone. I can’t say if he’s telling the truth or not.”
Sheriff Randy ignored the comment. His brother didn’t. Whirling around* he shouted* “Did you just call me a liar?”
When the chief didn’t answer* J. D. said* “Are you going to take the word of a murderer over a law-abiding citizen?”
“The FBI can check the sheriff’s cell phone records and get a printout of all the calls both of the brothers received in the past twenty-four hours. That will be helpful* won’t it* Chief Haden?” Jordan asked.
J. D. snorted. “Yeah* right. As if the FBI would go to that kind of trouble for a homicide in this nickel-ass town. They won’t give you the time of day.”
“I already called them* and they’re on their way here*” Jordan responded.
She’d certainly gotten everyone’s attention with that statement.
“Why would you call the FBI?” the chief demanded.
“My brother Nick is an FBI agent. I talked to his partner and he assured me that he and Nick would be here shortly* but in the meantime* he’s sending over a couple of agents from the area’s district field office.”
Sheriff Randy didn’t seem to be fazed hearing the FBI was going to get involved. J. D.* on the other hand* looked startled and angry.
“She’s bluffing.”
Sheriff Randy continued on to his car. “Hold on there*” J. D. called out. “My brother has the right to question her.”
“No* he doesn’t*” Jordan said. J. D.’s eyes bored into her. She didn’t flinch. She knew he was trying to frighten her* but she wasn’t about to shrivel up or cower. Then he took a threatening step toward her. Bring it on* she thought. He’d caught her unaware with the first punch* but she wasn’t about to let that happen again. This time she would be ready for him.
“Maggie* are you gonna let the FBI come in here and tell you what to do?” J. D. whined. “After all Randy and I have done for you? You wouldn’t be such a hot shot chief of police if it weren’t for—”
Haden cut him off. “Listen here*” she said. “I’m not letting anyone tell me what to do. Randy?”
The sheriff turned back. “What* Maggie?”
“What are you doing all the way over here anyway? And how come you’re out of uniform?”
“I was planning to take the day off*” he said. “Can’t you see the fishing poles in my car? I came over to go fishing with my brother.”
“You always drive your pickup when you go fishing*” she pointed out.
“I didn’t today* did I?”
“No need to get snide with me. You ought to get on with fishing and let me do my job.”
“But the FBI…” J. D. began.
Jordan deliberately interrupted. “I hope your police station is large enough to accommodate my family. I’m certain by now all of my brothers have heard and are on their way. And I’ve got a lot of brothers. Funny thing is* most of them are in law enforcement. Theo* my oldest brother*” she said* her tone annoyingly cheerful* “he doesn’t like to boast* but he’s pretty high up in the Justice Department.” She stared at J. D.’s ugly face as she added* “The United States Justice Department. Alec is working undercover for the FBI now* but he’ll want to come here too. Oh* and then there’s Dylan. He’s a chief of police himself*” she continued. “I imagine he’ll want to have a little chat with Sheriff Randy and J. D. You see* none of them is going to believe that nonsense about a car chase* and like me* they’re going to wonder who’s lying and why.”
“You bitch*” J. D. snarled.
“Get in the car* J. D.*” his brother said. “Maggie* I want to talk to you in private.”
“You stay right where you are*” the chief said to Jordan. “Boys* you keep a watch on her*” she called out to the paramedics as she hurried toward the sheriff.
Jordan watched the two in conversation from where she stood. The chief got as close to the sheriff as she could and nodded several times* obviously agreeing to whatever he was telling her. Not good* Jordan thought. Not good at all.
A couple of minutes passed and then finally the Dickey brothers got in their car and took off.
Chief Haden looked disgusted. “I’m going to find out what’s going on here. What’d you do to provoke the sheriff?”
“I didn’t do anything*” Jordan countered.

As though Jordan hadn’t spoken* she continued* “You’re going to tell me why the sheriff wanted to take you with him for questioning. What is it he knows about you?”
Before Jordan could tell her that she didn’t have the faintest idea what was in either of the Dickey brothers’ twisted minds and she wasn’t about to start guessing* the coroner* wearing sunglasses and a Dallas Cowboys cap* pulled into the lot in a powder pink convertible.
Del took hold of Jordan’s arm. “Come on back to the ambulance and wait with us.”
Jordan went with the paramedic* but she kept her eye on Chief Haden* who was next to the rental car conversing with the coroner. When she was ready to leave* she shoved Jordan into the backseat of her squad car but didn’t bother handcuffing her. They drove to the corner and stopped. Haden called her deputy and left a message with his wife to find him and tell him to report to the police station as soon as possible.
“Tell Joe I’ve got a murder investigation.”
Jordan inwardly cringed over the glee she heard in the woman’s voice. The chief gunned the engine and roared through town with her siren blasting away.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-03-11, 01:26 AM   #15

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

T HE POLICE STATION WAS EXTREMELY SMALL. JORDAN THOUGHT it looked like an old western movie set. There were two desks with a waist-high wooden railing between them and a swinging gate to the inner sanctum with a tiny office the size of a toll booth at the back for the sheriff. A door on the left led to a hallway with a bathroom and a single jail cell.
There was only one other person in the station* a young woman sitting in front of a computer* crying. When the chief and Jordan walked in* she dabbed at her eyes with the cuff of her shirt-sleeve and lowered her head. Jordan heard the chief curse under her breath.
“Still having trouble* Carrie?”
“You know I hate this.”
“Of course I know. You’ve done nothing but complain since you took this job.”
“I didn’t take this job*” she muttered. “It was forced on me. And I haven’t complained all that much.”
“Don’t argue with me in front of a suspect.”
“Am I a suspect?” Jordan asked.
She expected the chief to tell her that of course she was a suspect. The body was in her car* after all. Then the chief would read her her rights* and she’d ask for an attorney.
None of that happened.
“Are you a suspect?” the chief repeated. She cocked her head and frowned as though she couldn’t make up her mind. “I’ll determine that after I question you.”
Jordan thought she was kidding* but the look on her face indicated she was* in fact* serious. Did she think that Jordan would willingly answer all of her questions and incriminate herself so that she could be arrested? Surreal* she thought. This was simply surreal.
The cell was real enough. It was tucked around the corner from the front office.
The chief led Jordan into the tiny room and then stepped out and closed the door. “I’m locking you in here so I’ll know you won’t be running away while I go back to talk to the crime scene people. I’m taking the key too*” Haden added* “just in case someone comes along and wants to let you out.”
Jordan didn’t say a word. She couldn’t. She was speechless. She needed to calm down and collect her thoughts* so she sat on the cot and placed her hands on her knees* palms up* her back straight* her focus on the stone wall across from her. After a few minutes she closed her eyes and tried to remember some of her yoga exercises to gain what her instructor had told her was inner peace. Okay* so inner peace was out of the question* but if she could get her heartbeat to stop racing and her breathing to slow down* then maybe she would be able to stop freaking out inside.
Two full hours* and then some* passed before the chief came back to the station. She opened the cell and dragged a straight-back chair in with her. Jordan could hear the chief’s assistant muttering in the other room* but she couldn’t make out what she was saying.
“Is your assistant crying?” Jordan asked.
The chief stiffened. “Of course not. That wouldn’t be professional.”
They both heard a sob.
“My mistake*” Jordan said.
“I’m going to be taping this interview*” Haden announced as she produced a small recorder and laid it on the cot.
The chief of police was incredibly inept. Jordan wanted to ask her if she had ever investigated a homicide before* but that question would only make her angry* especially if Jordan pointed out that she hadn’t been read her rights.
“I have questions to ask. Are you ready to give me some honest answers?” She didn’t wait for Jordan to respond. “You can start by telling me how you could be driving a car and not know there was a dead body in it.”
Her accusatory tone didn’t sit well with Jordan. “I told you* I picked the car up at the garage and didn’t look in the trunk until I was at the grocery store.”
“And this friend of yours* this Professor MacKenna* he meets with you one day and is found murdered two days later—and you have no idea how that happened* right?”
“I think I should have an attorney present if you’re going to continue with these questions*” Jordan said politely.
Chief Haden pretended she hadn’t heard her.
Two can play this game* Jordan decided* and she pretended she didn’t understand a single question she was asked from that point on.
Eventually the chief stopped in frustration. “I thought we could have a friendly conversation*” she said.
Jordan tilted her head and studied the woman. “You’ve locked me in a cell and you’re taping every word I say. That doesn’t seem very friendly to me.”
“You listen here. You aren’t going to be able to intimidate me like you did the Dickey brothers with your talk about the FBI and the Justice Department. You can get yourself an attorney when I say you can* and you might as well know that* because you aren’t cooperating* you are now making yourself a suspect in this murder investigation.”
She turned off the tape machine and finally got around to reading Jordan her rights. Then she dragged the chair out and slammed the cell door shut.
She poked her head around the corner an hour later and said* “Here’s a phone book. You can look through it and pick out your own attorney. You can even get one from back east if that’s what you want* but you’re going to sit in this cell until you answer my questions. I don’t care how long it takes.” She handed the book through the bars and said* “Let me know when you want to make your call.”
Could she be railroaded and charged with murder? If only Jordan had the approximate time the professor was killed* she would be able to figure out where she was and if anyone had seen her. She hoped he hadn’t been murdered during the night because she couldn’t prove she had stayed in her motel room. They could say that she jogged over to the professor’s house* killed him* but then how did she get the professor’s body into the trunk of her car* which was locked inside of Lloyd’s Garage? What was her motive? Would they make one up?
This was going nowhere. She didn’t have enough information to form any kind of a defense…or alibi. She didn’t even know how the professor had been murdered. She’d been too stunned to take a good look at him all wrapped up like leftovers.
She was completely out of her element…or out of her comfort zone as Noah would say. This was really all his fault* she decided* because he’d pointed out to her how dull her life was. She’d been perfectly happy not knowing she was boring. Now she felt powerless. In order to survive* the body needed water and food* but Jordan needed a computer and a cell phone too. Without all of her tech gadgets she was lost.
Jordan hated feeling out of control. When she got out of here…if she got out…she’d take a couple of years and go to law school. She wouldn’t feel so vulnerable if she knew the law* now* would she?
The chief interrupted her pity party. “Are you going to make the call to an attorney or not?”
“I’ve decided to wait for my brother.”
The chief snorted. “Are you going to hold to that story? You’re just stalling is all. You’ll change your mind soon enough because you’re not going to get anything to drink or eat until you start cooperating. I don’t care how long it takes. I’ll starve you to death if I have to*” she threatened.
“Is that legal?” Jordan asked sweetly.
Haden had a real mean streak in her. She poked herself in the chest as she said* “I can do anything I want in this town. Understand? I’m not as soft as I look.”
Jordan couldn’t resist. “No one could ever think you looked soft.”
She’d gotten a rise out of the chief. Her face colored. “I wonder how much sass you would have if I decided to turn you over to the Dickey brothers.”
She pointed her finger at Jordan and was about to threaten something more when she was interrupted by Carrie.
“Maggie?”
“I told you to call me Chief Haden*” she bellowed.
“Chief Haden?”
“What?”
“The FBI’s here.”

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-03-11, 01:26 AM   #16

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

“W here is she?” Nick asked.
“This is my investigation*” Chief Haden said. “The FBI has no place here.”
Nick and Noah had entered the police station expecting to deal with a competent law enforcement professional. They were mistaken. And neither of them was in the mood to put up with foolish territorial issues.
“He asked you a question*” Noah barked. “Where is she?”
“Never you mind where she is*” Haden countered. “Like I just told you* this is my investigation. You and your friend need to get out of my police station.”
Nick had already told her that Jordan was his sister* and he’d shown her his identification and credentials. Now it was her turn. She damn well was going to answer his questions.
Chief Haden would have taken a step back to get away from his anger* but the railing was behind her* trapping her. She knew she had started out on the wrong foot* but she wasn’t about to back down. The sooner the two of them realized who was in charge* the better.
The man who identified himself as Agent Nick Buchanan was intimidating and fierce* but he wasn’t nearly as frightening to her as the agent who walked in with him. There was something in his piercing blue eyes that told her not to get in his way. She knew it wouldn’t take much to get him to pounce* and she didn’t want to be the one he pounced on. Her only option was to strike first.
Nick was about to lose his temper when the young woman sitting in front of a blank computer screen piped up* “Your sister is sitting in a cell just around the corner. She’s doing okay* but wait until you see her.” She was winding a strand of her long curly hair around one finger and smiling up at Noah when she shared the information.
“My sister is locked in a cell?” Nick asked.
“That’s right*” the chief answered after flashing a glare at her assistant.
“What are the charges?”
“I’m not willing to share that information just yet*” she said. “And you’re not going to be seeing your sister or speaking to her until I’m finished with her.”
“Nick* did she just say* until she’s finished with her?” Noah asked. He sounded amused.
Nick didn’t take his gaze off the chief when he answered. “That’s what she said.”
The chief’s lower lip jutted out* and her eyes narrowed. “You don’t have any jurisdiction here.”
“The chief thinks she can mess with the federal government*” Noah remarked.
Haden was furious. The two agents were pressing in on her. She pushed through the swinging gate and stood alone near the doorway* blocking access to the cell.
The FBI agents were arrogant thugs* she thought* smart-mouthing her. The two of them were so full of themselves and so cocky the way they tried to throw their weight around. But they didn’t know who they were dealing with. The fact that a woman had risen to the position of chief of police in Serenity* Texas* should have been an indication to them that she wasn’t a powder puff. Even though Serenity was a bit-of-nothing town* she had had to work hard screwing others* both figuratively and literally* to get where she was. Two muscle men carrying badges and guns had rattled her for a few minutes* but she was back in control now* and they weren’t going to tell her what to do. Screw them. This was her town and her rules. She was the power here.
“I’ll tell you what you can do. You can leave your phone number with my assistant* and when I’ve finished interrogating my suspect* I’ll give you a call.” She addressed Nick. “Now go on and get out of my police station and let me get back to work.”
The suspect’s brother smiled at her. She thought he might start laughing. The possibility didn’t sit well.
“What are we gonna do about this situation?” Nick wanted to know.
Haden’s bravado ended abruptly. Noah started walking toward her. She stepped out of his way. If she hadn’t moved* he would have walked over her or through her. He didn’t leave any doubt about that.
Noah glanced over his shoulder at Nick and grinned.
Nick conceded* “Yeah* yeah* you’ve still got it.”
The “it” was spook tactics. Noah had always been able to freeze anyone* male or female* with one hard look. Nick* on the other hand* according to Noah* had still not perfected the art.
“You can get the key from her*” Noah said.
“You listen here. I’m not letting that woman out until she starts cooperating.” Haden’s voice was loud and surly.
On the other side of the wall Jordan patiently waited for someone to come and get her. She knew that Nick and Noah had arrived because she could hear the chief of police arguing. When she saw Noah* her shoulders sagged with relief. She was so happy to see him.
He was appalled by the sight of her. “What happened to you? You look godawful.”
“Thank you. It’s lovely to see you too.”
Noah ignored her sarcasm. Given the circumstances most women would have been a little upset* he thought* but Jordan wasn’t like most. As miserable as she looked* she could still give him attitude. He had to admire her spunk.
He leaned against the steel bars and smiled at her. “You want out of here?”
Exasperated* she replied* “What do you think?”
“Tell you what. You tell me what happened to that pretty face of yours* and I’ll let you out.”
She gingerly touched her cheek and winced. “A fist ran into it*” she said. “Is Nick still out there? I don’t hear him.”
“I can’t imagine you could hear anything over that woman’s screeching.”
“How did you get here so quickly? I thought you were going to send some agents from the district.”
“I was able to charter a small plane* so I didn’t need to call them.”
“Nick willingly got into a small plane? It takes a lot of coaxing to get him into a commercial jumbo jet. I can’t imagine he’d fly in a small one.”
“I didn’t say willingly* did I? I had to do some pushing and shoving.”
She was impressed. “Did he get sick?” she asked* smiling over the possibility. It was comical to see him turn green.
“Yeah* he did.”
She laughed. “I’m so happy you’re both here*” she admitted.
He shrugged. “You should be.”
His arrogance didn’t bother her so much today. She heard the chief’s raised voice again and asked* “What’s going on out there?”
“Nothing much. Your brother’s just having a little chat with the chief of police.”
“Chief Haden’s a real softie* isn’t she?”
Noah laughed. “She’s about as soft as a rattlesnake*” he said. “She’s trying to give my home state a bad name* but don’t you worry about her. Nick can handle her.”
Jordan stood and tried to brush the wrinkles out of her blouse. “Do you think you could find the key and get me out of this cell?” she asked sweetly.
“Sure enough*” he agreed. “Just as soon as you tell me whose fist ran into your face.”
At that moment Haden stormed around the corner* a sour look on her face* the key in her hand. She unlocked the cell door* muttered something under her breath that Jordan pretended not to hear* and said* “It’s been…suggested that we sit down and talk this out. You know…get to the bottom of this mystery.”
Nick was standing in the doorway. Jordan’s hair had fallen forward* partially covering her face* but when she brushed it back over her shoulder* he got a good look at her injury.
“What happened to you?” he demanded. “What son of a—”
“It’s okay*” she said quickly before he could finish his obscenity. “I’m fine* really.”
His eyes blazed with anger as he addressed the chief. “Are you responsible for this?”
“Of course I’m not responsible*” she snapped. “I wasn’t even there when the alleged incident occurred.”
“Alleged?” Noah spun around to confront Haden.
“Jordan* who hit you?” Nick asked.
The chief swung the door open as Nick posed the question. The woman wouldn’t move out of Jordan’s way* so Noah stepped forward* took hold of Jordan’s arm* and pulled her toward him.
“Jordan* answer me*” Nick demanded.
“His name is J. D. Dickey. I don’t know what the J and the D stand for. His brother Randy is the sheriff of Jessup County. The two of them were together in Sheriff Randy’s car. We’re in Grady County now*” she added.
“Why wasn’t the guy who assaulted you arrested?”
“I tried to press charges.”
“What do you mean* you tried?” Nick asked.
“I mean I tried. She wouldn’t let me.”
She’d rendered her brother and Noah speechless. They’d never encountered such incompetence.
They all filed into the outer office. Since there weren’t enough chairs to go around or the space to put them in* they ended up standing in a cluster near the assistant’s desk. Jordan noticed that Carrie was trying—without much success—to get Noah’s attention.
Maggie Haden made her way around the group to her office and sat on the edge of her desk tapping her foot impatiently while she listened to the conversation.
“We’ll get him in here*” Noah promised.
“Where exactly were you arrested?” Nick asked.
“Three or four blocks from here.”
“She was never arrested*” Haden called out.
“Then why was I locked in a cell? Remember what you told me? You weren’t going to give me anything to drink or eat until I answered your questions. You also said that you didn’t care if I starved to death.”
“I said no such thing.”
Carrie had been quietly content to stare up at Noah until she heard what the chief said. Her head snapped up* and for a second she stopped twirling her hair.
“Yes* you did. I heard you*” she said.
“I was bluffing*” the chief said.
“Bluffing?” Noah questioned. “Don’t we call that lying to a federal agent and obstructing justice* Nick?”
“That’s what we call it*” he agreed. “You want to arrest her or should I?”
“Now hold on.” Haden’s voice had risen an octave. “Your sister wouldn’t cooperate. I had to lock her up.”
“Jordan* is that true?” Nick asked.
“What do you think?”
“Just answer the question*” he demanded impatiently.
Nick was behaving more like a big brother than an FBI agent now* but she was still too thankful and happy that he was there to be bothered by his high-handed attitude.
“I requested an attorney*” she began* “and I also informed Chief Haden that I had called you. She then informed me that I wasn’t a suspect but that she was going to interrogate me with her tape recorder on* and when I wouldn’t answer her accusatory questions without an attorney* she changed her mind and decided I was a suspect after all.”
Turning to the sour-faced woman* she said* “I can’t remember. Was that before or after you threatened to hand me over to the Dickey brothers?”
All turned to stare at the chief* waiting for her explanation.
Haden’s chest heaved as she took a deep breath. “I did not threaten any such thing.”
“Yes* you did*” Carrie volunteered. “You said—”
The chief cut her off with a scorching glare. “Put a cork in it* Carrie* and get back to that computer. You’re on work release* not a vacation.”
Carrie’s face turned bright red. She lowered her head and stared at the keyboard. Jordan could see that she was embarrassed that Nick and Noah had heard what the chief said.
“I can’t work the computer. The stupid thing’s broken.”
Jordan felt sorry for her and wondered which would be worse* working for the chief from hell or going back to prison to serve out the rest of her sentence.
Carrie sounded pitiful. “I don’t know what to do.”
As galling as it was to inadvertently help the chief of police* Jordan couldn’t stop herself from helping Carrie. With a sigh* she reached around Carrie* hit two buttons* waited half a second* then hit a couple of keys* and the computer screen lit up.
Carrie looked like she had just witnessed a miracle. Wide-eyed* she stared at Jordan and whispered* “How did you do that?”
As Jordan explained* Nick argued with the chief about jurisdiction. The chief liked the word and used it as an answer no matter what question was asked.
“Has the coroner given you an approximate time of death for the victim?” he asked.
“This is my jurisdiction and therefore my case. You don’t need to be butting your nose in.”
“Why haven’t you brought J. D. Dickey and his brother in?” he asked.
“What business do you have with the sheriff?”
“What business did he have in Grady County?”
“This is my jurisdiction*” Haden huffed.
“When are you going to arrest J. D. Dickey?” he asked.
Haden’s cell phone rang. She turned her back on the agents and stepped around her desk.
She covered her mouth. “I know who it is*” she snapped under her breath. “You listen here. They’re pressuring me to arrest you.” Several seconds passed* and then Haden said* “For socking the woman. What’d you think they wanted me to arrest you for?”
“Doesn’t she know we can hear every word she’s saying?” Noah asked Nick.
“Apparently she doesn’t.”
Haden’s voice had risen. “And I’m telling you my hands are tied here. I’m doing the best I can.”
She disconnected the call and tossed the cell phone onto her desk. Nick waited until she turned around before he asked the obvious.
“Were you just talking to J. D. Dickey?”
“No* I wasn’t.”
“If you don’t bring him in* we will.”
“This is my jurisdiction.”
Nick asked her again if the coroner had given an approximate time of death for Professor MacKenna.
“I already answered the question. This is my jurisdiction and my case.” She folded her arms and began tapping her foot. “I want you to get out…”
“We are not going away*” Noah interjected.
“What was the cause of death?” Nick asked.
“My jurisdiction*” she repeated* dragging the word out.
And so it went. No matter what question was asked* jurisdiction was her answer.
Jordan felt as though she were watching a tennis match* her gaze bouncing back and forth between her brother and the chief.
Carrie touched her arm to get her attention. “How come I can’t get the printer to print?”
Jordan leaned over the desk and said* “Your printer isn’t hooked up to the computer.” Her attention returned to the ongoing argument.
Carrie distracted her again. “Can you fix it?” she pleaded.
“Yes* okay.”
“I found the manual for the computer*” she whispered. She was keeping her eye on the chief now* making sure she wasn’t listening. “But I haven’t read it. I told her I had but…you know. I got busy doing other stuff. I guess I should read it* huh?”
“That’s probably a good idea*” Jordan said. She walked around the desk and began hooking up the cable while Carrie continued to whisper.
“Your brother’s really good-looking* but he’s got that wedding ring on. It is a wedding ring* isn’t it?”
Jordan smiled. “Yes* it is.”
“Is his wife alive? I mean* some guys keep on wearing their wedding rings for years after their wives die.”
“Yes* his wife is alive* and yes* they’re happily married. In fact* he and Laurant are expecting their second child in three months.”
Carrie’s voice dropped lower. “Jaffee’s really nice-looking too. I mean* he’s losing his hair and all* but that makes him kind of sexy. I was walking past his restaurant on my break yesterday* and he and his friends were standing there talking to you. That rich rancher…you know who I mean…his name’s Whitaker…now* he’s really hot. He’s on the lean side* but I can tell he’s got muscles* and I like muscles. I bet he works out* don’t you think?”
Jordan didn’t answer* but Carrie didn’t seem to mind. “That one there though”—she nodded in Noah’s direction—“he’s got to be the sexiest man I’ve ever seen.”
Was there any man Carrie didn’t find appealing? Just how long had she been in prison? Jordan hoped the discussion had ended* but Carrie wasn’t going to let it go.
“I mean…don’t you think?”
“Yes* he is sexy*” Jordan replied.
“That’s what I thought.”
Jordan happened to glance up at Noah and realized he’d been watching her. Had he heard the conversation? She hoped not.
The chief was drawn away by another phone call* and Jordan seized the opportunity.
“Nick* what happens now?”
“We’re waiting for your attorney.”
“Who is he?” she asked.
“I haven’t met him* but he comes highly recommended.”
“Doctor Morganstern called him*” Noah told her.
Startled* she gasped and her hand went to her throat. “You told Doctor Morganstern about this? Why did you tell him?”
Dr. Morganstern was a brilliant man* and his opinion mattered to her. She didn’t want him to think less of her* or to think that she was somehow responsible for this mess.
“What’s the big deal?” Noah asked.
“You shouldn’t have bothered the doctor. He’s a busy man.”
Nick shook his head. “We work for him* remember? We can’t just take off without letting him know where we’re going. We had to tell him what we were doing and why.”
“Why does that bother you?” Noah asked.
“I just told you why. He’s a very busy man*” she said as she walked over to Noah and sat on the edge of the desk next to him. “It doesn’t really matter to me. I just didn’t want you to bother him. That’s all.”
He nudged her. “Yeah* it does bother you.” He leaned over and whispered* “You didn’t kill the guy* did you?”
“No* of course I didn’t*” she whispered back.
“Then you have nothing to worry about.”
“Tell that to the chief.”
“She isn’t your problem any longer.”
Before she could ask him to explain* Nick’s cell phone rang. He glanced at the number and told Noah* “Chaddick’s calling back.”
He flipped the phone open and said* “What have you got?”
Jordan tapped Noah’s arm. “Who’s Chaddick?”
“An FBI agent making some calls for us and checking some things out. He’ll come in on this if we need him.”
“I appreciate it*” Nick said into his phone. “Right. I’ll meet you there. I’ll give you a call when I’m leaving Serenity. You’re going to set it up? That’s great. Thanks again.”
Jordan and Noah looked at him expectantly when he ended the call.
“Strangulation*” Nick said without preamble.
“So it was up close and personal*” Noah remarked.
“A crime of passion*” Nick said. “Rope was used. Chaddick said some fibers were found imbedded in the skin.”
“It takes a lot of strength to strangle someone. I doubt Jordan has that kind of strength. Even coming up behind him* even with the element of surprise—”
“I didn’t strangle anyone.”
“Didn’t you notice his neck?” Nick asked. “Didn’t you see any bruising or discoloration?”
“No* I didn’t.”
“Were you wearing your contacts? Could you see—”
“Yes* I was wearing my contacts. I could see just fine.”
“Then how could you have missed—”
She cut him off. “Look*” she said* her irritation growing* “I was too busy noticing he was wrapped up like a sandwich. Oh* God* I’ll never eat anything from a Ziploc bag again.”
“Jordan* get a grip*” Nick said. “This isn’t the time to get all emotional. I know this is upsetting—”
“Upsetting?” She pushed off the desk and took a step toward him. “The way I feel goes way past upset.”
He put his hand up. “Calm down. I’m just trying to get as much information as possible before your attorney gets here. I wish your powers of observation—”

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-03-11, 01:27 AM   #17

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

She took another step in his direction. “You know what I wish? I wish I’d called Theo.”
Noah grabbed hold of Jordan’s arm and pulled her back. “But you didn’t call Theo. You called Nick. Take a deep breath* okay?”
He made her sit back on the desk. “What do you suggest we do about her?” he asked* motioning to the chief of police. The woman was pacing in her tiny office while she talked on the phone. “I think we should lock her up and throw away the key.”
“Jordan?” Carrie whispered her name.
“Yes* Carrie?”
“You shouldn’t get mad at your brother. I wish I had a brother who could have helped me when I got into trouble. I do have a brother*” she explained earnestly. “He drove the getaway car. He didn’t get away though. They caught him too.”
Jordan didn’t know what to say and so she simply nodded.
“Since you helped me with this stupid computer* I want to help you. Did you know that Maggie…I mean Chief Haden…used to live with Sheriff Randy Dickey? Everyone in town thought they would get married. She thought so too* but he married someone else. And you know what else I heard? Sheriff Randy had a connection through his new wife with one of the town council people* and he got them to give the chief of police job to Maggie so she’d have to move over here to Serenity. I also heard she was going to get fired from her old job anyway.” She placed her hand to the side of her mouth as though to share a secret and spoke just above a whisper. “She was mean back then too* and she did a lot of favors for the Dickey brothers.” She gave a wink and went on. “She let them get away with a lot of stuff. At least that’s what I heard.”
“What about her deputy? What’s he like?”
“Oh* he’s nothing like her. He should have gotten the job of chief of police. He has a lot more experience* and he’s worked here longer. I heard he’s looking for a job outside of Serenity.”
“I don’t doubt that. It would be pretty awful working for her.”
“I could find him for you.”
“You could?”
“I’m sure I could. Deputy Davis is kind of hardnosed about stuff* but he’s honest* and as far as I know* the only person he’s sleeping with is his wife. He treats me like a real person.”
“Would you like Carrie to get on the phone and help you find the deputy?” Jordan asked Noah.
“That’d be real nice*” Noah said* smiling at the young woman.
Carrie didn’t move. She just sat there staring at Noah as though she was in a daze. Jordan tapped her on her shoulder.
“He said that would be nice.”
“What?”
“It would be nice if you would find Deputy Davis.”
“Oh…okay.” Without looking* Carrie picked up the receiver on the other side of the desk and put it to her ear. The cord was too short to reach* so the phone came flying across* knocking a can of soda and a large stack of files to the floor.
“Shoot!” she cried as she jumped up and rounded the desk to clean up the mess. “I’m so stupid.”
Noah leaned down to help her. “No* you’re not. Accidents happen to everyone.”
“Especially me*” she said. She grabbed the Kleenex box off the desk and wiped up the spilled drink. “I’m so embarrassed. I must look like a lobster. I can feel my face turning red.”
Noah straightened a pile of folders and handed them to her. “I think it’s a very pretty face.”
When he took her arm to help her stand up* the rosy blush on Carrie’s cheeks turned a deep crimson. “Thank you*” she said.
“Do you think you could find the list of town council members?” Nick asked her from across the room.
Carrie’s attention swung to him. “I know I could. They’re in my Rolodex. There’s only three.”
“Let’s get them in here*” Nick said to Noah. “They’ll have to officially replace her.”
“You’re replacing Chief Haden?” Carrie asked.
The chief had just finished her call* and there was a smug look on her face until she heard a snippet of the conversation.
“No one’s replacing me*” she said as she stepped out of her office. Her frown was directed at Jordan. “I knew I was right about you. I just had an interesting talk with Lloyd. Remember him?” Chief Haden asked Jordan.
How could she forget? “Of course I remember him. He worked on my car.”
“He says you threatened him.”
Jordan was taken aback. “He what?”
“You heard me. He says you scared him.”
“I did not threaten him.”
“He says you did. He says you told him you were going to hurt him.”
Uh-oh. Jordan remembered the conversation. “I might have—”
“No more*” Noah said. “Jordan* I don’t want you to say another word.” Turning to Haden* he said* “Get Lloyd in here. Now.”
“You’re not telling me what to do.” Chief Haden started walking toward Jordan* her hand resting on the gun at her hip.
When Noah blocked her* she raised her arm and jabbed her elbow into his chest.
“That’s it*” Noah said. He latched on to her arm and turned her toward the door that led to the cell. “Chief Haden* you have the right to remain silent…”
Haden’s eyes became slits. “Don’t you tell me my rights.”
“I’m required to*” he said. “This is an arrest.”
Haden tried to pull away. She grabbed the handcuffs sitting on her desk. “This is outrageous.” Her voice turned into a hiss. “You have no grounds.” She swung the cuffs and struck Noah on the shoulder.
He grabbed the cuffs out of her hand* took the gun from her holster* and pushed her ahead of him. “Obstructing a criminal investigation and assaulting a federal agent…I think that’s enough.”
“I know people!” Haden yelled as he nudged her inside the cell.
“I’ll bet you do*” he agreed.
“Powerful people.”
“Good for you.” He slammed the door shut in her face. “You’ll be staying here until arrangements can be made to transfer you to a federal facility for processing.”
“This is bogus*” she said.
“You’ll be needing a lawyer. I’d get a good one if I were you.”
It finally penetrated that he wasn’t bluffing. “Now hold on here. Hold on now. Okay* okay* I’ll cooperate.”
Carrie watched wide-eyed. She wanted to stand up and cheer* but she knew the action might come back to bite her. Her parole officer had told her that her poor impulse control had gotten her into jail* and* if she wanted to change her life* she was going to have to learn to think before she acted. Besides* the chief would eventually get out of jail* wouldn’t she?
As Noah walked past Nick* he said* “Nothing I hate worse than a crooked cop.” He glanced out the window. A late-model sedan pulled up to the curb. A man emerged from the driver’s seat carrying a briefcase in one hand and holding a cell phone to his ear with the other.
Noah turned to Jordan. “Your attorney’s here.”

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-03-11, 01:27 AM   #18

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Chirolp Krackr

L OUIS MAXWELL GARCIA WAS THE EPITOME OF REFINEMENT. HE oozed confidence and charm. His smile was warm and somewhat sincere* and his manners were as polished as alabaster. Neither his designer suit nor his starched pinstriped shirt had a wrinkle anywhere.
After the introductions were made* the attorney insisted that they call him Max.
“Doctor Morganstern speaks highly of you*” Nick said. “Isn’t that right* Noah?”
Noah didn’t say a word. He simply moved closer to Jordan and folded his arms across his chest. His expression was impassive. Slow to warm to anyone* Noah always was skeptical* and Max* vouched for or not* had yet to prove his capability.
“We appreciate you taking this on and getting here so quickly*” Nick said.
Max’s gaze was locked on Jordan. “I could never say no to Doctor Morganstern.”
“Why is that?” Noah asked.
“He’s done a lot of favors for me over the years*” he said and then turned to Jordan. “Is there somewhere we could talk in private?”
Jordan thought about suggesting the chief’s office but quickly changed her mind. The small room with the door closed would be too claustrophobic.
“There really isn’t anyplace private here*” she said. “We could sit outside on the bench* I suppose* if you don’t mind the heat.”
Max had a lovely smile. “That’s not a problem for me. I’m used to the heat. Where’s the chief of police?” he asked then. “I should talk to him first and find out what the charges are. It would be nice if we had his cooperation sharing information.”
“Yeah* well* that’s not gonna happen*” Noah said.
“Chief Haden’s a woman*” Nick said. “And Noah’s right. She’s not going to cooperate.”
“And why won’t she?” he asked.
“She’s locked in a cell around the corner*” Nick explained.
Max asked the obvious. “And why is that?”
“I arrested her*” Noah said.
Jordan thought Max didn’t look the least surprised* but then as an attorney he was certainly adept at hiding his reactions.
“I see*” Max said. “And what was the reason for her arrest?”
Nick explained* and when he was finished* Max scratched his jaw and asked* “Are there any other surprises you would like to mention?”
“Did Doctor Morganstern explain why I needed an attorney?” Jordan asked.
“Yes* he did. He told me you found a little something in your car trunk.”
Carrie waved to get Jordan’s attention. “I’ve got Deputy Davis on hold*” she said. “Who wants to speak to him?”
“I will*” Noah said as he walked around Carrie’s desk and picked up the phone.
Max glanced into the hall that led to the jail cell. “I’m going to try to talk to the chief*” he said.
“Why?” Nick asked.
“I want to find out what she has.”
“You’re wasting your time.”
Noah’s conversation with the deputy lasted less than a minute. After he had identified himself* Noah told the deputy that his boss was under arrest and he needed to get to the police station as quickly as possible.
Max’s conversation with Haden lasted much longer* though it didn’t start out well. Jordan winced over the woman’s crude vocabulary* but within minutes Haden had stopped yelling* and she guessed that Max had somehow charmed her.
“What do you think?” Nick asked. “It’s gotten real quiet in there.”
“Maybe Max convinced her to be reasonable*” Jordan suggested.
“It doesn’t matter*” Noah said. “He’s wasting his time.”
“He won’t let her out* will he?” Carrie worriedly asked Jordan.
Max returned to the front office. “The chief of police doesn’t think she wants to get an attorney’s advice* and she agrees that it would be prudent to cooperate with the FBI. She’s also agreed to let us step outside and have our conference* and when we’re finished* we’ll sit down with her.”
Noah shook his head. “That’s not gonna happen.”
Max ignored Noah’s remark. “And what do you think about letting the chief off the hook?” he asked Nick.
Nick glanced at Noah before answering. Jordan thought her brother was a bit amused by the question. Did Max expect him to override Noah?
“My partner just told you that’s not gonna happen* and that means it’s not gonna happen.” Before Max could argue* Nick continued* “The deputy is on his way here. Jordan and you can talk to him.”
Max looked directly at Noah and said* “Doctor Morganstern warned me about you two. He said you’d give me trouble.”
Noah shrugged. “We don’t make trouble* but when push comes to shove* we shove. We get the job done.”
Max nodded and placed his hand on Jordan’s shoulder. “Shall we step outside?”
Nick opened the door. “Jordan* now that your attorney’s here* I’m going to drive to Bourbon and look at the body.” Turning to Noah* he asked* “You’ve got this covered* right?”
“I’ve got it*” Noah assured him.
Max picked up his briefcase and walked with Nick and Jordan outside. Noah followed and pulled the door closed behind him.
The stifling air took Jordan’s breath away. She didn’t think she could ever get used to this kind of heat.
After Nick had left* Max sat down on the bench next to her. He opened his briefcase* removed a notepad and pen* and was snapping the leather case shut when Noah began his interrogation.
“Where’d you go to law school?”
“Stanford. When I finished* I joined a law firm on the West Coast and worked there until four years ago.”
“Why did you leave?”
“I wanted a change.”
“Why?”
Max smiled. “I got tired of defending Silicon Valley boys who were stripping their dot-com companies. I decided to move back home and start over.”
Max’s answers were as rapid as the questions.
“I appreciate any help you can give me*” Jordan said* interrupting Noah’s interrogation.
“I’ll do what I can*” he answered warmly. He glanced up at Noah. “I’ll need to speak to my client alone.”
After scrutinizing the situation for a second* Noah turned to go back inside the police station. “Jordan* you need anything* you call me*” he said.
“I will*” she promised.
Unlike Noah* the attorney didn’t grill her for answers. He simply asked her to take him through the events* beginning with the wedding she had attended and her first encounter with the professor.
Max listened intently and made notes as she went through her actions that morning. When she reached the part about J. D. Dickey’s assault* Max raised an eyebrow.
“I told Chief Haden that I wanted to press charges*” Jordan explained. “But she refused.”
“Did she give you a reason why she wouldn’t arrest him?”
Jordan shook her head and explained what she had heard about the relationship between Haden and the Dickey brothers.
“I’ll definitely be speaking to Deputy Davis when he gets here*” Max said. “I assure you that J. D. Dickey can be brought in on charges. You’ll probably have to stay in Serenity a little longer than you planned…”
“I don’t know*” Jordan replied hesitantly. “I think I should just let it go* get out of town* and leave this whole nightmare behind me.”
“I understand*” Max said. He gave her a sympathetic look and touched her hand. “You just let me know* and we can see that Mr. Dickey pays for what he did to you.”
Noah stood at the window watching the conversation between Jordan and Max outside. Jordan kept her eyes on her knees as she talked* and he could tell she was recalling the details of her day. Max Garcia wrote on his pad and cast a caring glance at her from time to time. “Lawyers*” Noah mumbled with mild disgust.
Suddenly a car pulled up to the curb* and a man wearing blue jeans and a plaid shirt got out* walked over to Max and Jordan* and shook their hands.
Carrie looked through another window. “That’s Joe*” she said.
Joe Davis was a young man* but he already had deep worry lines in his forehead. He immediately spotted the gun when Noah walked out to join them.
“Are you the agent I spoke to on the phone?” Joe asked. “Clayborne* right?”
“That’s right*” Noah answered* stepping forward to take his hand. “I hope you’re nothing like the chief* because if you are* we’ve got a big problem.”
“No* sir* I’m nothing like her*” Davis assured him. “This is one hell of a mess. I was out on a friend’s ranch and my wife couldn’t reach me until I got back. I’ve had three calls from three council members. The president will be over shortly.”
“His reason for coming here?” Max asked.
“He wants to personally fire Chief Haden. They’ve been looking for a reason to get rid of her* and now with a false arrest and a failure to press charges I’d say they have grounds enough. They’ve all had to put up with complaints about her over the last year. In the past couple of months the complaints have escalated.”
“You’re the man in charge then*” Noah said.
He nodded. “I told the council members I would take over until they can find a replacement.”
Davis turned his attention to Max. “Is your client ready to talk to me?”
Jordan nodded. And the questions started all over again.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-03-11, 01:27 AM   #19

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
Chirolp Krackr

J . D. WAS IN A FRENZY. HE KNEW HE NEEDED TIME ALONE TO GET a handle on his temper before he did something else he would later regret. He drove down a dirt road on an isolated stretch of flat land outside of Serenity* his hands gripping the steering wheel* fishtailing around one curve and then another* damn near losing control of his truck as he sped on. Dust fanned out around the truck* and he could barely see where he was going because of the grime that covered the windshield. He almost drove into a gully but swerved to the right on two tires and bounced back onto the road. He slammed on the brakes then* jumped out of his pickup* and started kicking the door while he cursed his own stupidity.
He was in such a panic* it was hard to think straight. He knew he’d messed up* but he couldn’t do anything about that. It was too late. Randy was as mad as a hornet at him but had promised he’d try to smooth things over.
Damage control. That’s what it was all about at this point.
He knew what Cal would be saying to him right now if he knew about this terrible situation. His cellmate in prison would tell him to take responsibility for his failure and then try to understand what went wrong. Learn from your mistakes. When a job goes bad* it’s imperative to figure out what went sour before taking on another job. Any fool knew that. Yes* that’s what Cal would say. He was such a wise man.
And what had J. D. learned? He’d learned that he’d gotten too damned greedy. He’d had a real sweet life with his new career until the professor came along and put all sorts of big ideas into his head.
He hadn’t wanted the sweet life to go away* and he certainly didn’t want to go back to prison and this time maybe get stuck with the needle for premeditated murder.
Luck just hadn’t fallen his way* that was all. He’d gone back to Jordan Buchanan’s room at the motel twice but couldn’t get in. The first time* Amelia Ann had been inside running a vacuum. The second time* there had been a couple of electricians installing new lights outside the room’s door.
He stopped kicking his new truck and fell back against the fender. Wiping the sweat and dirt off his forehead* he tried to concentrate. The bitch had messed everything up. No* that wasn’t true. She’d complicated his life* but she hadn’t ruined it. He could still fix things. He’d fix her too* he decided. Yeah* he’d fix her.
First things first. He had to finish the job* and that meant keeping Jordan Buchanan in town until he could figure out what she knew. What were the possibilities that she knew why the professor had to be silenced? Zero to none* J. D. figured.
Still* he had to be certain.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-03-11, 01:28 AM   #20

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

T HE ORDEAL WAS FINALLY OVER* AND BY SEVEN-THIRTY THAT evening Jordan had been cleared of any and all charges. As soon as the new chief of police had been given the official time of death—with a three-hour window—and had checked Jordan’s alibi* she was free to go.
Jordan had accounted for her every moment the evening before. She realized how fortunate she was that she had never been alone* only when she’d gone to bed for the night* but Professor MacKenna had been long departed by then.
The president of the town council insisted on firing Maggie Haden while she was still behind bars. He also insisted that Chief Davis not let the woman out until he had left the station.
Maggie didn’t take the news of her termination well.
“You had to have known this was coming*” Davis told her.
Her response was predictably vile* and as she was gathering up her personal possessions and throwing them into a cardboard box* she went into a tirade about sexual discrimination.
“People have complained to the council about me because I’m a woman. You never could stand it that I got the job and you didn’t. You’ve been needling the council to fire me.”
“You aren’t going to take any responsibility for your actions today?” he asked.
“I’m getting a lawyer* and I’m going to sue every one of you. You won’t have a penny to piss on when I’m finished.”
“Listen here. You shouldn’t be making any kind of threats. It took a lot of fast-talking to convince Agent Clayborne to drop the assault charge. He could still change his mind.”
“It was a trumped-up charge.”
The box she’d filled was in the center of the desk. She looked down at the contents* then picked it up and hurled it against the wall.
“I don’t need any of this junk.”
“You need to leave here now.” Davis tried to take hold of her arm.
She jerked away. “Don’t get too comfortable sitting behind my desk. You won’t be chief of police for long. My attorney will force the council to give me back my job. I’ll be wearing my badge and gun before you know it. Then you’ll be officially terminated. My first order of business will be to get rid of you.”
Jordan had walked to the end of the sidewalk with Max to say good-bye* but she could still hear Haden’s voice loud and clear. Max handed Jordan his business card with all of his phone numbers* including his private cell number. He told her to call him anytime* night or day* if there were any other problems.
“I suggest you leave Serenity as quickly as possible*” he advised. “Whoever put the body in your car had a reason* Jordan. I wouldn’t stay around here to find out why. Leave the investigation to the local police. If Chief Davis needs help* he knows he can ask Noah or your brother.” He abruptly changed the subject. “I’ve got to get going* but I wanted to ask…”
“Yes?” she said* wondering why he was so hesitant.
“I’ll be in Boston next month for a conference* and if you’re free I’d love to take you to dinner.”
Noah had already thanked the attorney and was waiting by the door for Jordan to say her good-bye. She was smiling at Max* but there was something else in her expression. Surprise* he thought. Curious* he decided to find out what Max was saying to her. His cell phone interrupted. He would have ignored it* but then he saw the number and changed his mind. Nick was on the line.
Jordan tucked Max’s business card into her pocket and watched as he got into his car and drove away. She waved good-bye to him. For some reason the action bothered Noah. It seemed too…personal* too friendly. He wondered if Max had hit on her and decided that* yes* he definitely had. Jordan was a beautiful woman* and Noah had noticed that the attorney was noticing. That bothered him too. It wasn’t professional behavior for her attorney to take such a personal interest in Jordan’s physical assets. Oh sure* he’d done his share of noticing. But that was different.
The door behind Noah opened with a bang and Maggie Haden stormed out. She spotted Jordan at the end of the sidewalk and headed toward her.
Jordan turned around and saw blood in Haden’s eyes* but she didn’t back away or look for help. She could hold her own. She stood her ground and waited to see what the crazed woman would do. She was ready for anything.
She didn’t get the opportunity to find out. One second Haden was flying toward Jordan* and the next second Jordan was staring at Noah’s back. How he’d gotten in front of her so quickly was beyond her.
Haden was blaming her for everything but the heat. As a parting shot she yelled* “This isn’t over.”
“Yeah* it is*” Noah asserted.
Jordan tapped Noah on the shoulder* but he didn’t turn around until Haden was out of sight.
“Yes?”
“You didn’t need to get in front of me. I can take care of myself.”
He gave her the famous Noah Clayborne smile. “Is that right?”
He brushed the hair over her shoulder and gently patted the side of her face. “If you can take care of yourself* how come your cheek’s swollen?”
He had her there. “It was a surprise attack*” she said earnestly. “I wasn’t ready.”
Only after she gave her explanation did she realize how truly lame it sounded.
“I see. So when you’re ready and it isn’t a surprise* then you can take care of yourself? How much warning would you like to have?”
She didn’t think the sarcastic remark required an answer. Besides* she couldn’t come up with anything.
“Didn’t your older brothers teach you how to defend yourself?”
“Of course they did. They taught Sidney and me all about gun safety and shooting and fighting* clean fighting and dirty fighting.” She added* “And all sorts of other things we weren’t at all interested in.”
“Why weren’t you interested?”
“Because we were girls* and we liked girly things.”
“Is building a computer a girly thing to do?” he asked* smiling. “Nick told me you were always drawing and designing.”
“I still did some girly things*” she insisted. “But Sidney and I paid attention to our brothers’ lessons too. Really.”
He abruptly moved to another topic. “Are you hungry?”
“I’m starving*” she said. “And I’ve found the most perfect restaurant to take you to for dinner. You’ll love the food. Can we just take off though? Did Chief Davis—”
“He knows where you’re staying tonight. We can leave.”
The restaurant was just a couple of blocks away.
“My glasses are in my purse* and my purse is in my rental car*” she said as they walked along. “Do you think that when Nick drives back* he could bring them?”
“Nick isn’t coming back to Serenity.”
“Why not?”
They crossed the street and turned south. “Doctor Morganstern called him and wants to meet with him in Boston. Nick doesn’t know why.”
“Do you have to go too?”
“No*” he answered. “I’ve been ordered to stick with you.”
She pushed into his side. “You don’t need to sound so disgruntled. Am I such a pain then?”
Noah looked down at her. Ordinarily* he would have relished this situation* and even jumped at the opportunity to spend the night watching over a beautiful woman* but this was no ordinary situation* and Jordan was no ordinary woman.
“Am I?” she asked when he didn’t respond. He shrugged in answer. “Why would Nick ask you—”
“Nick didn’t ask me to stay*” he said. “Morganstern ordered me to stay with you.”
She tilted her head. “Why? I’ve been cleared of all charges. Yes* I know the professor was placed in my car* and I know what you’re thinking…”
He grinned. “I don’t think you do.”
“What about my rental car? Do you know when it will be released?”
“No* I don’t. An FBI agent from this district is driving another car here for us and picking up your things first in Bourbon*” he said. “A friend of his is following and will take him back home. He’ll call me when he gets here.”
“What about the rental agency?”
“They’ll have to figure out a way to get the car from Bourbon. It’s no longer your problem.”
“And why is that?”
“Nick had a little chat with the owner. As soon as he mentioned a lawsuit* the guy folded. Your brother’s law degree comes in handy on occasion.”
They reached Jaffee’s restaurant. Noah pulled the door open for her. There were only two tables occupied* and both were by the front window.
“Hey* Jordan.”
“Hey* Angela*” she replied.
The waitress was carrying an empty tray back to the kitchen.
“Your table’s ready*” she called out.
Noah followed her to the corner table. “You have your own table here?”
“Yes* I do.”
He laughed.
“I’m not teasing. This is my usual table. And watch. She’ll bring me my usual drink.”
Noah chose the two chairs with backs against the wall. Jordan noticed and thought that taking such measures was second nature to him now. Noah* she believed* would never be caught unaware.
Angela hurried over to the table with a glass of iced tea and two glasses of iced water. Smiling at Noah* she asked* “Now* what can I get for you?”
“I’ll have iced tea.”
She left to get his drink but paused in the doorway. Her gaze was on Jordan when she tilted her head toward Noah and gave the thumbs-up.
“I guess she doesn’t realize I can see her*” Noah remarked. There was laughter in his voice.
“She means well.”
Jaffee hurried out with menus. “Hey* Jordan*” he called from across the room.
“Hey* Jaffee.”
“Who’s this?” he asked bluntly as he handed them their menus.
Jordan introduced Noah. “You’re FBI* aren’t you?” Jaffee asked.
“Yes* that’s right.”
Jaffee nodded. “Is your brother going to be joining you?” he asked Jordan.
“You know about Nick?”
“Sure I do*” he answered. “Did you forget what a small town this is?”
“Nick got called back to Boston.”
“Are you her bodyguard?”
Jordan answered. “He’s my friend.”
“A friend with a gun?” Angela remarked as she joined the group.
Jordan took it all in stride when both Angela and Jaffee pulled out chairs and sat down.
“Start at the beginning* hon*” Angela said. “Don’t leave anything out.”
“I’ll bet you know more than I do*” Jordan replied.
“Probably*” she agreed. “But I want to hear you tell what happened. It must have been something finding what you did in your car.”
“They ought to be able to eat their dinner in peace first*” Jaffee said. “Then she can tell us what happened.”
Angela nodded. She pushed the chair back and stood. “Deputy Joe Davis came in.”
“He’s Chief Davis now*” Jaffee reminded her.
“That’s right* he is. And it’s about time too*” she added with a nod. “Chief Davis came in here to check on your whereabouts* Jordan* and we told him you were here until almost ten* and then Jaffee walked you over to the motel.”
“We told the truth*” Jaffee said* shooting a look at Noah.
“We didn’t have to lie*” Angela said.
Noah nodded. “That’s good to hear.”
“You two go ahead and look over the menu. I’ve got a real nice pot roast if you’re interested.”
As soon as Angela and Jaffee returned to the kitchen* Noah said* “Joe Davis asked me to go with him to Professor MacKenna’s house tomorrow morning. He’s hoping I’ll see something he missed.”
“Could I go with you?” She sounded so eager.
“I don’t see why not. I doubt Joe will mind. The detectives from Bourbon have already been through the place* but they didn’t find anything significant. Tell me* what did you think of the professor?”
“I guess you want the truth.”
“Yes* I want the truth.”
“He was a disgusting* gross* opinionated bore.”
He laughed. “Don’t hold back on me.”
“I’m not exaggerating*” she insisted.
She then told him about the dinner she’d suffered through* stressing the professor’s appalling table manners.
“I understand you were arguing with him?”
“Where did you hear that?”
“The waitress at the restaurant mentioned to Joe that you were shouting* and he mentioned it to me.”
“I was not shouting. Oh* wait. Yes* I was. That is* I raised my voice. I didn’t shout though. The professor was being horribly insulting to the Buchanans* and I felt it was my responsibility as a Buchanan to defend our good name.”
“You think maybe you overreacted?”
“No* I don’t. I’ll read you a little of his research* and then you can make up your own mind. His slanted research*” she thought to add.
Angela carried out their dinner* and they were left alone to enjoy their meal. Noah couldn’t believe how great the food was. “Jaffee could make it anywhere*” he said. “I wonder what keeps him in Serenity.”
“Chocolate cake.”
“Yeah?”
While they ate* she explained what Jaffee had told her. She also mentioned that Trumbo of Trumbo Motors and Whitaker* a wealthy rancher* had dropped by to say hey to Jaffee and have cake with her.
“‘Hey’?” Noah repeated. “Sugar* how long have you been in Serenity?”
“Two days.”
“Then what’s with the ‘hey’?”
“I’m blending in. I’m adapting to my environment*” she said and added* “and I’m not your Sugar.”
He shook his head and grinned. “You’re all sass* aren’t you?”
Angela removed their dishes* filled their glasses* and sat down at their table again. Not to be left out* Jaffee soon joined them.
“Dinner was wonderful*” Jordan said* and when Noah didn’t comment* she nudged him under the table.
He remembered his manners and gave sufficient praise* but he wasn’t looking at Jaffee. He was watching the door. The restaurant was rapidly filling up with townspeople. Noah didn’t like the crowd one little bit. He casually leaned back and shifted slightly closer to Jordan* and his hand moved closer to his weapon. He was ready for anything. A town meeting or a lynching.
Jordan noticed how tense he’d become and put her hand on his thigh.
“Hey* Jordan*” a young woman called out.
She smiled. “Hey* Candy.”

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)

أدوات الموضوع
انواع عرض الموضوع

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع