آخر 10 مشاركات
254 - أين ضاعت إبتسامتى ؟ - كارول مورتيمر ( تصوير جديد ) (الكاتـب : marmoria5555 - )           »          251 - زائر الليل - كيم لورنس (الكاتـب : PEPOO - )           »          378 - جراح تنبض بالحب - ساره وود((تم إضافة نسخة واضحة جداااااااا)) (الكاتـب : أميرة الورد - )           »          1051 - العروس الاسيرة - روزمارى كارتر - د.ن (الكاتـب : امراة بلا مخالب - )           »          ليلة مع زوجها المنسي (166) للكاتبة : Annie West .. كاملة (الكاتـب : nagwa_ahmed5 - )           »          أغنية التمنيات -إيما دارسي - عبير الجديدة(عدد ممتاز) (الكاتـب : Just Faith - )           »          74 - زهرة النسيان - مارغريت بارغيتر (الكاتـب : فرح - )           »          أمِـير الأحْـلَام - فانيسَا غـرَانت - عَدَد ممتاز (الكاتـب : Topaz. - )           »          أيام البحر الأزرق - آن ويـــل -عبير الجديدة -(عدد ممتاز ) (الكاتـب : Just Faith - )           »          اقوى من الحب - ازوكاوود - عبير الجديدة(عدد ممتاز) (الكاتـب : Just Faith - )

العودة   شبكة روايتي الثقافية > مكتبات روايتي > English Library > Fiction > Romance

إضافة رد

LinkBack أدوات الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
قديم 07-02-11, 04:06 AM   #21

Dalyia

إدارية ومشرفة سابقة وكاتبة بمكتبة روايتي وعضوة بفريق التصميم والترجمة و الافلام والسينما ومعطاء التسالي ونجمة الحصريات الفنية ومميز بالقسم الطبى

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
?  نُقآطِيْ » Dalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond repute
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

When they were back in the truck, he turned to her before starting the motor.
“Paula—”
“I know what you’re going to say,” she interrupted him. In the semidarkness of the
cab her face looked flushed. “Don’t you start treating me like a piece of crystal
or I couldn’t take it.”
“Actually my intention was the exact opposite.” He leaned across and pulled her
into his arms. For a long time he simply rocked her, wanting to give comfort. “You
were magnificent in there,” he whispered into her silky blond hair. “The guys
didn’t know what hit them.”
“That guy was so angry. The poor thing.”
“You hit a nerve. Dr. Bader will no doubt explore it with him in private. You were
good for the group.” You’re good for me, Mrs. Olsen. I wish to hell you weren’t.
With reluctance he let her go and turned on the ignition. “I’m hungry. What about
you?”
“I’d enjoy a hamburger.”
“Good.” They pulled out of the parking lot and headed for the nearest drivethrough.
A few minutes later they had their food and were on their way back to
Cody. He looked over at her. “What are you thinking?”
She’d been munching on a French fry. “That every man who has seen military action
has hang-ups. On a surface level I think I already knew it, but tonight opened my
eyes a little more to the fact that Brent wasn’t a unique case. That helps me. And
I learned something else.”
Pleased to hear that much of an admission, he said, “What was that?”
“From the beginning you were willing to admit your PTSD terrified you. I find it
even more humbling that you could admit it to me. That makes you very special.”
“I hardly had a choice after you caught me in the act,” he said before pulling up
in front of her apartment.
“You mean in the act of doing something selfless?” She smiled gently. “Thank you
for letting me come to the session tonight. It’s given me a lot to think about.”
She didn’t know the half of it. “I’d like to thank you again for the lovely day at
your cabin.”
“Come up any time you want to paint, whether I’m there or not. This weekend if
you’d like. The columbines should be out. Whites, blues, purples…”
“Oh I’d like—” she blurted, then paused. Looking disappointed, she said, “Maybe one
day I’ll take you up on your generous offer, but it’s my father-in-law’s birthday
Saturday. I promised to drive to Garland on Friday and stay until Sunday night.
They wish I lived there so they could see more of Clay. Naturally he’s the joy of
their lives.”
Of course she wanted to be around Brent’s parents. It kept his memory alive.
Walker’s hand tightened on the steering wheel. To enjoy Paula’s company meant
dealing with a crowd of three. What was he doing? You’re a fool, Cody.
“Will you be going to Hugo for the rodeo?” Her question seemed to come out of the

blue.
“No. My hazer and I will be competing at the Last Stand Rodeo in Coulee City,
Washington.”
“Sounds like you’ve got your work cut out for you, then.” She averted her eyes and
opened the door. “No—please stay where you are. I’ll see myself to the door.”
PAULA LET HERSELF INSIDE the apartment. “Angie!” she exclaimed. “Where’s Katy?” Her
friend was sitting on the couch going through a packet of correspondence.
Angie put it down. “I got accepted back into the nursing program and want your
advice to make some decisions fast, so I told Katy she could go home. Don’t worry.
I paid her. Danice is in the guest bedroom asleep in the playpen.”
“I’m so glad you’re here.” She sank down in one of the chairs facing the couch.
“What’s wrong?”
She bit her lip. “Everything.”
“Maybe you shouldn’t have gone to that support group. I was afraid it might upset
you too much.”
Paula shook her head. “That part was fine. Enlightening even. If we had time, I’d
tell you what went on, but I know you need to talk.”
“We’ve got all night. Tell me what happened.”
After Paula finished relating the details, Angie said, “I’m impressed with Walker.
He’s the opposite of Brent.”
“In what way?”
“Instead of trying to shield you, he took you with him and threw you in the deep
end of the pool, watching to see if you could swim. I guess he doesn’t know yet
that you were a champion swimmer for the University of Idaho.” Angie sat forward.
“So what’s really going on with you and Walker Cody?”
“Nothing.”
Her brows lifted. “I thought you just spent the past four hours with him.”
“We don’t have a normal relationship. I don’t even know what you’d call it.”
“Then what’s the problem, aside from the fact that you feel you’re betraying
Brent’s memory for being attracted to him?”
She stirred restlessly. “I wish I felt this attraction for anyone else… Matt
Spurling—”
“Oh, Paula, you should hear yourself. Whatever isn’t going on between you and
Walker, it’s not for the lack of chemistry.”
“I realize that.” Her head lifted. “He’s gone back to competing in the rodeo.”
“That’s what Codys do.”
“It’s dangerous. His best friend died in the box.”
“So if you were ever to really care for him, you could lose him like you did
Brent.” Angie could see right through her. “Do you know how crazy that sounds? Your
mind has gone from A to Z and the two of you haven’t even dated!”
Paula bowed her head. “I told you I’m a mess.”
“That’s because you’re stuck in a groove going nowhere. If you’d allow yourself to
get to know him, you’d discover he has flaws like every guy. Maybe you’d be turned
off by them and all this premature angst over death wouldn’t be the major issue.”
Her friend was right. “You always make good sense, Angie. How am I going to handle
it when you’re not downstairs anymore?” She stood up. “I’ll get us a couple of diet
sodas from the fridge, then I want to hear about your plans.”
“Before we change the subject, one piece of advice from soon-to-be Nurse Gregson
here.”
“What?”
“Remove your widow’s shroud and give yourself permission to take up your life
again, even if Brent can’t. He wouldn’t want you to remain in limbo, Paula. You
know he wouldn’t.”
“LADIES AND GENTLEMEN—you just saw Walker Cody from Markton, Wyoming, who won his
world title in 2004. Tonight he stopped the clock at 3.9 seconds, fastest time here
at the Coulee Last Stand. With this kind of momentum, he’s set for the Canyonlands
Rodeo in Utah next weekend. Tonight Bobby Rich, number three in the world standings
from Reno, Nevada, was just one-tenth of a second behind him at 4.0. This is steer
wrestling at its best.”
Walker could hear the announcer as he walked Peaches to the trailer parked behind
the arena. Boyd walked alongside him leading his horse Jester. He kept glancing at
Walker. “It was the best night for you yet. What’s wrong?”
“3.9s aren’t fast enough or anything close, Boyd. The Cody Roundup is only five
weeks away. I’ll have to put up a time of 3.4 or a 3.5 if I hope to win, and it’s
not going to happen.”
“That’s no way to talk. You beat everyone out there tonight.”
“The steer cooperated and you’re still the best hazer around. I’m the problem,
Boyd. Let’s face it. I’m an old man and have set myself an almost-impossible task
by starting to compete so late in the season. No matter how much practice we’ve
been putting in for the past three weeks, I can’t seem to shave off any more time.
That 4.0 I got in Redding was a disaster!”
“Look, Walker, you can tell me I’m out of line if you want to, but there’s
something else eating at you and it’s putting you at a psychological disadvantage.”
“I don’t want to talk about it.”
“That’s what I mean. You’ve let something build in your head without dealing with
it. That’s why you feel like you’re off your game.”
Paula was in his head. That’s what was wrong. Damn if she hadn’t messed with his
mind since the first time he’d looked into those soulful blue eyes of hers. After
the other night he decided he was through with her, but he hadn’t counted on this
emptiness.
“Why don’t you come with me? I’m meeting some of the guys over at Phil Kennard’s
trailer and we’re going into town.”
“Thanks for the invite, but I’d be lousy company.” Walker didn’t want to be with a
bunch of younger guys on a Saturday night. He wanted to be with Paula, but not if
she couldn’t get over Brent.
“Then why don’t you charter a plane and fly to the ranch tonight? I’ll drive the
horses back tomorrow.”
“You shouldn’t have to do it alone.”
“I’ll find someone to go with me.”
“You’re a good man.” He breathed in deeply. “If I can arrange it, I think I will
get out of here tonight.”
“There’s nothing like your own bed if you need a good night’s sleep. Do you ever
get one? You know—since you’ve been back from Iraq?”
“Sometimes,” he answered honestly.
Though Walker’s bedroom in the trailer was separate from the living room hide-a-bed
where Boyd slept, they were close enough that he had to be aware when Walker had
one of his more restless nights.
He’d told Boyd to be prepared in case he had a flashback, but to his surprise and
relief, there hadn’t been any while they’d been gone. In fact there’d been no
incidents for quite a while. Staying physically fit really seemed to help.
Walker felt his friend’s compassion. “What can I do to help?”
“Hang in there with me. If we can hold our own next weekend, there’ll be another
ten thousand dollars for you.”
“Why do you keep trying to throw your share of the money at me?”
“Because I don’t know anyone else who’d be able to put up with me.” He patted
Boyd’s shoulder. “I’ll see you at the ranch on Monday.”
PAULA AWAKENED EARLY Sunday morning realizing she couldn’t stay at her in-laws any
longer. She’d had a wonderful time with them. Clay had loved being with his
grandparents, but the desire to visit Walker’s cabin and finish her painting was so
strong, she found herself packing and ready to leave by nine.
Brent’s folks were understanding about her need to get back home because of work.
It wasn’t a lie, exactly. She always had a landscaping project waiting for her. But
work wasn’t what was driving her as she loaded up her Toyota and left the sleepy
little hamlet for the drive back to Cody.
A series of puffy white clouds had lined up in perfect rows across the blue sky.
The smell of freshly cut summer grass made her inhale deeply. She heard the sound
of a tractor in the distance and the chirping of birdsong filled the car. It would
be hot later, but right now the temperature and soft breeze were so delightful, she
didn’t need the AC.
The route took her through Powell with its recent attendant memories of going there
with Walker. Within the hour her heart picked up speed as she passed beneath the
arch to the Cottonwood Ranch. She took the outer perimeter road that wound up the
base of Carter Mountain. Soon she reached the dirt road and began the climb,
leaving the storybooklike clusters of immaculate ranch outbuildings behind.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع
أنْت يـَـــا اللَّـه 【 تَكْفِينِي 】ツ

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-02-11, 04:06 AM   #22

Dalyia

إدارية ومشرفة سابقة وكاتبة بمكتبة روايتي وعضوة بفريق التصميم والترجمة و الافلام والسينما ومعطاء التسالي ونجمة الحصريات الفنية ومميز بالقسم الطبى

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
?  نُقآطِيْ » Dalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond reputeDalyia has a reputation beyond repute
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

When she’d scaled the final rise and spied his black truck parked outside the
cabin, her heart thudded so fast, she could hardly breathe. He was supposed to be
in Coulee, wasn’t he? Maybe he’d driven there with someone else and had left his
truck here.
“Do you remember this place?” she asked Clay, stopping in front of the spruce tree
because one of the squirrels was scurrying around the branches, another precious
memory associated with Walker. Her son smiled when he saw it and pointed his hand
in its direction.
“Yes, that’s right,” she whispered. “We were here before.” She stood still until
the squirrel disappeared in the upper branches, then with Clay in her arms, she
crossed the distance to the cabin. In case Walker was inside, she knocked on the
door then waited a full minute. Maybe he needed time to answer it. If he was
asleep, then she didn’t want to knock again and wake him up.
She tried the handle. To her surprise the door gave. She poked her head inside.
Silence greeted her ears.
Her glance darted to the picnic table. The case of pastels she’d given him had been
left open. A few of them lay next to his drawing pad. Over on the counter she saw a
jar of Tang with a mug next to it and an opened package of peanuts, the kind you
bought at a convenience store. His breakfast, or a snack?
She didn’t dare go inside in case she wakened him and triggered a flashback because
he thought someone was trespassing. Maybe he’d gone for a morning hike and would be
back soon, so that was why he’d left the door unlocked.
The best thing to do was get Clay settled in his swing so she could work on her
painting. Maybe she’d see Walker before she left for the apartment.
While she was getting things out of her car, she heard footfalls behind her and
turned around. Against the sun’s rays she saw the silhouette of a tall flesh-andblood
man coming toward her carrying a fly rod in one hand and a fish chain with
three ten-inch-size trout in the other. “Walker…”
“Good morning.” His deep voice sounded gravelly.
“I decided to take you up on your offer.”
“So I see.” His eyes glowed an intense green. She knew then that she hadn’t done
the wrong thing. “If I’d known I was going to have company this morning, I would
have caught more.” Clay ran toward him and grabbed his leg in a bear hug.
Walker chuckled. “I’d like to hug you, too, sport, but I’ve been cleaning fish.
Come with me.” He more or less dragged Clay along. Her little boy thought it was a
game and clung harder, giggling all the way inside the cabin.
He rested his pole against the cabin, then went inside with the fish. While he
washed his hands, he looked over at her. “Did you have a nice visit with your inlaws?”
“We had a good time, didn’t we, Clay? His grandparents spoiled him silly, but then
that was the whole point. Did you decide not to go to Washington this weekend?”
“No. I was there for two nights of competition and flew back late last night. Would

you like breakfast before the artiste gets started outside?”
She couldn’t repress a smile. “I would never turn down a fresh catch of trout.”
His restless gaze wandered over her. She thought maybe he was glad to see her. “I
presume everything but the kitchen sink is in your car.”
Paula burst into laughter and nodded.
“I’ll bring it in.” He gathered Clay in his arms. “Come on, little guy. We’ve got
work to do.”
As they disappeared out the door, Paula opened the tablet on the table, curious to
see what he’d added. The newest page contained an asymmetrical, dark gray blot with
a purple dot at the center that took up most of the eight-by-ten paper. The next
one was the same gray blot with a larger, dark purple smudge in the center.
Three more pages revealed the same gray blot, but the purple smudge was getting
bigger. She wasn’t surprised to see the next page revealed a perfect circle in
purple. Another page was scribbled crimson red with an outline of purple. She
flipped to the next drawing. Here he’d used what looked like his thumb to smear
colors cascading down the page like a waterfall.
On the far left he’d chosen sunny yellow, next to it a pale blue, then a chalky
white followed by a bright blue, an azure blue and a dark purple. But across it
he’d punctuated the whole thing with a horizontal slash of black. He’d done it with
such flourish and violence, it could be his signature.
She quickly shut it and moved the tablet and pastels to the other end of the table.
For someone who didn’t know how to get started, he’d expressed a lot of emotion
there.
By the time Walker returned with Clay, she was setting the table. Having done all
this before, they worked in perfect harmony. Before long both of them were replete
with the pan-fried rainbows he’d skillfully filleted.
“That was fabulous, Walker. Clay ate his share, too. It was his first taste of
trout.”
“Fish puts hair on your chest,” he teased him. After ruffling his blond curls, he
pulled her sleepy boy out of his swing. In the process Clay’s cowboy boot caught
the hem of Walker’s loose-fitting beige T-shirt, lifting it. For a moment Paula
glimpsed the widespread scar tissue on part of his chest and running along his side
to his hip beneath his jeans.
Walker intercepted her glance before putting Clay down so he could run around. She
felt his defenses go up, but they couldn’t hide the vulnerability in his eyes. Who
would have guessed what this strong, spectacular man kept locked up from the world?
Without saying anything, she walked Clay into the bedroom. After changing his
diaper, she put him down for a short nap in the playpen. When he curled up with his
blanket, she drew the baby oil out of the bag and joined Walker, who was finishing
the dishes.
“What have you got there?”
“Come in the living room when you’re through and find out,” she urged him.
That brought him out of the kitchen in a hurry. “What’s going on?”
“I would like to do something nice for you, but it requires you to lie down on the.
couch on your side with your head at this end.” Unmistakable shock broke out on his
face. “Come on. Don’t be shy. I won’t do anything you don’t want me to do.”
The vulnerability in his eyes was suddenly replaced by an expectant light. “I
thought I’d experienced everything there was to be experienced, but I must admit
this is a first.” His voice penetrated to her insides.
She smiled an almost-invisible smile. “Take off your boots and shirt. You’ll be
more comfortable.”
“Yes, ma’am.” He pulled them off in no time and stretched out so his scarred side
was accessible to her. It pleased her that the jade was still fastened around his
neck. Walker’s hard-muscled body with its smattering of black chest hair had a male
beauty she’d rarely seen in any other man. He had to know what she was thinking
because his eyes never left her face.
“The doctors who put you back together with these skin grafts did amazing work. I
have a younger cousin who was burned in a grass fire and had grafts done on his
back. For several years after that my aunt rubbed oil into them. My mom and I took
turns helping her when we could. He said it made a big difference in his comfort.
Would you trust me to do that for you?”
“What do you think?”
Her brows lifted. “Just checking.” She reached for the baby oil, then knelt down
and began to smooth it into his skin the way she’d been taught to do. Paula lost
track of time as she gently massaged every part of the scarring that was exposed.
“I smell as sweet as Clay,” he muttered.
“You do.” She laughed gently. “How does it feel? Am I hurting you?”
“If this is pain, then never let it stop. I think I died and woke up in paradise.”
Her throat swelled. “You deserve to experience relief after what you’ve
sacrificed.” She rubbed her hands over his strong arm and shoulder, then inched
along to his back and neck. With each movement she could feel the tension go out of
him. No matter how small, this was one thing she could do for him, wanted to do for
him. “When do you get relief?” he asked sometime later when she’d thought he’d
drifted off.
“Every time Clay snuggles against me.”
“There’s nothing like a warm, loving body, is there?”
“No,” she whispered. It shocked her to realize she was aching for him to pull her
into his strong arms and kiss her.
“Were you very much in love with your husband?”
The question shattered the moment for her. “Yes.”
But with her hands still on Walker’s body, it came to her how far she’d come from
eighteen months ago when she couldn’t have imagined a scene like this with another
man. It hadn’t been in the realm of possibility.
Paula got to her feet. She needed to wash the oil off her hands. Walker dressed and
followed her into the kitchen, his expression inscrutable. When it came to women,
it appeared he tended to play his cards very close to the chest. Maybe he’d left

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-02-11, 04:07 AM   #23

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

someone special behind who still had a hold on him. Paula sighed. Forget doing any
painting today.
She turned to him. “I didn’t mean to stay this long and need to get home.”
“I’ll get Clay and help you pack up.”
Within a few minutes he’d put Clay in his car seat and given him a kiss on his
forehead. “See you, little guy.” His unreadable gaze swiveled to hers. “Drive
safely.”
“I will.” She glanced up at him from the driver’s seat. He stood a short distance
from her with his powerful legs slightly apart, looking long, dark and more
dangerous than ever. “Where’s your next rodeo?”
“Moab, Utah.”
“Please take care of yourself,” she implored, hating the throb in her voice.
“I always do. Don’t forget that you can always come up here and paint. I’ll leave a
key at the base of the fattest blue spruce. If I’m not here, feel free to use the
cabin.”
He baffled her.
“Thank you, Walker,” she whispered, touched by his generosity. At the same time she
struggled with unassuaged needs he’d aroused. This would definitely be her last

visit to the cabin.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-02-11, 04:08 AM   #24

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

Chapter Eight
June 2
Dr. Bader sat back in his swivel chair eyeing Walker speculatively. “I was sorry
you didn’t bring Paula to the group session with you last night. Her remarks did
more good for Mac than three months of therapy. Thanks to her, he finally opened up
to his wife about his flashbacks. They’re working on their problem. Paula’s welcome
any time. Didn’t she want to come again?”
Walker avoided his gaze. “I don’t know.”
“Do you think she benefited from it?”
“She said a few questions got answered.” Since Paula had dropped by the cabin on
Sunday, he’d been so conflicted he hardly knew which foot to put in front of the
other.
“Something’s wrong. Want to talk about it?”
His head reared. “I feel like her husband is always with us. She’s still in love
with him.”
“You mean with his memory, but he has passed on. You’re alive to make new memories
with her. This will take time, of course.”
“The last time I was with her, I—” He shook his head. “It doesn’t matter.”

“What happened?”
When Walker told him, he said, “You honestly think she was confusing you with her
husband when she gave you a massage?”
“No,” he ground out. “I just don’t need her doing me any favors because of my
‘sacrifice.’”
“Then what do you want from her?”
His temper flared. “A hell of a lot more than she’s capable of giving.”
“She’s never responded to your physical overtures?”
“I haven’t made any.” Giving her comfort after the other therapy session didn’t
count.
“So you’re angry she hasn’t made the right kind of overture to you.” Walker
squirmed. “I’d say the fact that she made one at all is rather amazing. Has it
occurred to you she’s afraid you’re just using her as a crutch—you know, the first
available woman kind of thing—until you get back to normal and move on with someone
you really want?”
He lurched forward. “She couldn’t think that.”
“Weren’t you listening to anything she said the other night? Let me refresh your
memory.” He turned on the tape player. Suddenly Walker was hearing Paula’s voice.
If you’ll allow her to get inside your psyche, she’ll feel more a part of your
experience. My husband robbed me of that. I’m afraid I lost a lot of confidence.
The doctor switched off the machine. “Perhaps if Paula knew more of what was going
on in your psyche, you’d get the sign you’re looking for, but that would mean
taking a risk.”
Dr. Bader knew him too well.
“Let’s move on.” He reached for Walker’s drawing pad and studied the latest
pictures. “Which family member is the purple one?”
Walker took a steadying breath. “My father.”
“He’s in every picture. What was your problem with him before you joined the
military?”
Good grief. Dr. Bader was so good it was shocking. “I resented him for telling me
how to live my life when his isn’t perfect.”
“Not perfect, as in…”
“He cheated on my mother.”
“Only one man on this earth was perfect unless I’ve miscounted and you’re the
second one.” Walker stirred in the chair. “Your mother forgave him?”
“I guess. They’re still together.”
“How long ago did it happen?”
“Early in the marriage. My mother confirmed it a few weeks ago.”
“Do the others in your family know about the affair?”
“I don’t think so.”
“Does your father know that you know?”
“Maybe mother told him.”
“Has he been good to her?”
“Yes.”
“And to you?”
He eyed the other man solemnly. “Yes.”
“You know what I think, Walker? Your war experiences don’t come close to the pain
you’ve suffered because of a mistake he made.”
Walker groaned inwardly at the man’s perception.
“By joining the military you stayed away from a sport that once upon a time brought
you a great deal of enjoyment and fame. Because of what your father did, you denied
yourself the camaraderie of your parents and siblings for a long time. I’m going to
tell you something else about yourself. Until you can let go of your anger at him
for something that happened so long ago, you’ll always be conflicted.”
He shut the drawing pad and pushed it toward him. “While the summer rodeo season is
on, I don’t expect I’ll see you before next Wednesday. Keep up your physical
regimen. Try to make a group session when you can. In comparison to a month ago,
you’re looking splendid.”
PAULA HADN’T BEEN TO Zapata’s for quite a while. Matt had asked her to meet him at
the Mexican restaurant on Wednesday evening. He wanted to thank her on behalf of
the board for the wonderful work she’d done on the landscaping project for their
company and wouldn’t take no for an answer. Against her better judgment, she’d
agreed.
After asking Katy to babysit Clay, she arranged to meet him at six, making it clear
she could only give him an hour of her time. As she feared, near the end of their
meal he got around to asking her to go golfing with him at the Olive Glenn Country
Club on Saturday. She’d been expecting him to ask her out socially and was ready
for him.
“That sounds lovely, Matt, and I’m very flattered, but I can’t go out with you
because I’ve become involved with someone else.”
His face fell. “It’s serious, then?”
“Yes.” Paula had no guarantees she’d ever see Walker again, but yes, it was serious
for her until he was out of her blood. “I’m sorry. I hope you’ll excuse me now. I
need to get home to Clay.”
He nodded. “Whoever he is, he’s a lucky man. I’ll walk you out.” He left some bills
on the table. “Shall we go?”
Paula knew she’d hurt his pride, but it was better Matt knew the truth tonight.
After they stood up, he ushered her to the entrance. Another group of people were

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-02-11, 04:08 AM   #25

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

headed there at the same time. That’s when she saw a dark head, taller than the
rest. A pair of green eyes blazing between black lashes collided with hers,
stopping her in her tracks. He couldn’t have missed noticing that Matt had cupped
her elbow to ease her on through.
“Walker Cody,” Matt said with surprise in his voice. “Champion steer wrestler
extraordinaire! I didn’t know you were back from overseas.”
“I’ve been home for a while. How are you, Matt?” The two men shook hands. Paula was
stunned they knew each other.
“Terrific. Let me introduce you to this beautiful lady, Paula Olsen.”
No, no, Matt… Why did he say that?
“We’ve met.” Walker’s voice came out in a lower register. “How are you, Paula?”
“I’m fine, thank you,” she answered, dry-mouthed. “And you?” Like a potato too hot
to handle, she tossed the conversation in his direction.
“Couldn’t be better.” He said it with a defiance new for him. “Where’s Clay
tonight?”
“With the babysitter.”
His eyes had narrowed to slits. “I’m here with Ruth and Leslie Pearsoll. He’s the
owner of the feed and grain store in Markton.”
Troy’s parents… Her hand slid to her throat.
Walker turned to the older couple standing next to him. “Paula is a landscape
architect with EarthDesigns here in Cody. She was the one who designed the grounds
of the folks’ new ranch house,” he explained.
“You’re kidding.” Matt looked at Paula, clearly astonished. Walker was dropping his
little bombs all over the place.
“And Matt Spurling here is the CEO of the Spurling Natural Gas Company. We lease
our land to them.”
They did? Paula’s mind was reeling.
“How do you do,” the Pearsolls both said, and everyone shook hands.
“Your family must be thrilled you’re back.” Matt’s respect and admiration for
Walker was palpable. “Are you going to be doing some bulldogging again?”
“As a matter of fact I’ve ridden in several rodeos already,” Walker admitted.
With those war injuries, she couldn’t imagine anything worse than putting himself
in more jeopardy throwing down a bull, but as Angie said, “It’s what Codys do.”
“I was just talking to him about that,” Mr. Pearsoll interjected. “It’ll be like
old times to see him in the arena again. He and our son lived for it.”
Ruth nodded to Matt. “Troy and Walker were best friends before Troy was killed
during the rodeo six years ago.”

“Now that Walker’s back, he’s setting every bulldogger in the country on his ear.”
Mr. Pearsoll’s eyes had grown moist.
Paula’s emotions were in such deep turmoil, she needed to get out of there. “It was
very nice to meet you,” she said to the Pearsolls. “Nice to see you too, Walker.”
Not daring to look at him, she left the restaurant with Matt.
He followed her across the street to her car. “All the Codys are winners, but as my
dad once told me, Walker had an edge that made him a formidable opponent. Did you
ever see him in action?”
“No.”
“He could bring down a steer so fast, it was hair-raising. People were really
surprised when he went into the Marines.”
Paula was relieved to get behind the wheel. If she had to listen to Matt say one
more thing about Walker, she was going to go to pieces. “The dinner was lovely,
Matt. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to do the landscaping project for
your company.”
“You know how we feel. I feel,” he added, eyeing her soberly. “Good luck to you,
Paula.”
“You, too.”
As he walked off, she backed out and drove home as fast as she could without
getting a speeding ticket. Katy must have heard her come in the door because she
rushed into the living room.
“I’m glad you’re home! Clay started coughing a few minutes ago. When I went in to
him, he’d thrown up. I was just going to take his temperature because he feels
hot.”
“That came on fast. He seemed fine before I left. Thanks for being such a good
sitter.” She opened her purse and paid her.
“I hope he’ll be all right. See you.”
Paula saw her to the door, then hurried into the nursery. Sure enough Clay had a
temperature of 101. While she was holding him, he threw up again and wouldn’t stop
crying. This was so unusual for him she couldn’t sit around and wonder what was
wrong. The only thing to do was take him over to nighttime pediatrics.
She grabbed his baby bag and a clean blanket. Once she’d found her purse, she left
the apartment, only to meet Walker who was coming up the steps two at a time with
purpose. But one look at her crying child and a grimace broke out on his features.
“What’s wrong with Clay?”
“I don’t know. I walked in the house to find him running a temperature and throwing
up. I’ve never seen him get sick this fast. He needs a doctor.”
“I’ll drive you in your car so you can sit in back with him. Give me your purse.”
“Thank you, Walker.” She handed it to him so he could get the keys. Whatever reason
had brought him over, she was thankful he’d come. “The Madsen Clinic stays open all
night.”
“I know.” He strapped Clay in his car seat, then helped her in back. Inside of five
minutes he’d driven them to the clinic and had accompanied her inside. Clay was
sick again on the way in. “He hates throwing up. It scares him.”
“Poor little guy. Let me hold him while you sign in.”
To have him here was such a relief, she didn’t know what she would have done
without him. After she’d talked to the receptionist, she hurried over to where he
was walking with Clay in the crowded waiting room.
The sight of him cuddling her sick son, who’d burrowed against him while Walker
rubbed his little back and talked to him, filled her heart with warmth.
Five more minutes and a nurse came through the doors calling for Olsen.
“I’m going in with you,” Walker announced.
“I want you to.” At this stage there’d be no prying Clay away from him.
They were shown to one of the rooms. When the harried-looking doctor came in, her
son clung to Walker, who sat down on the chair with him so an examination could
take place.
After a few minutes he said, “He’s got a double ear infection.”
“Is it serious?” Walker sounded anxious.
“I’ve seen a lot of these tonight, Mr. Olsen.” To hear the doctor address Walker
that way took Paula’s breath. “A bug is going around. We’ll get him started on an
antibiotic. When you get home, push fluids. Give him some Pedialyte and Children’s
Tylenol. He should be all right. If his temperature should go higher, bring him
back.”
The clinic was so busy, the doctor didn’t have a lot of time to talk. As soon as he
wrote out the prescriptions, Walker took them and they left the clinic. “I’ll drive
you home, then run to the pharmacy and fill these.”
“You don’t have to do that.”
His lips thinned. “Would you rather I didn’t?”
“I didn’t say that. It’s just that—”
“I’m not Mr. Olsen?” He cut her off in a frigid tone before settling her and Clay
in the car once more.
When he was behind the wheel she said, “Please don’t put words in my mouth. You
have no idea how grateful I am you’re with me. I just don’t want you to think I’m
taking advantage.”
She could see his piercing eyes through the rearview mirror. “I like helping. Clay
and I have fought off black bears and eaten rainbow trout together. We’re buddies.”
“I know you are.” I know. “When you’re at the pharmacy, will you try to get cherry
Pedialyte? He likes that flavor.”
“Can you think of anything else you need?”
“Not right now.”
They’d reached the apartment. He helped them inside, then took off with that speed

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-02-11, 04:11 AM   #26

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

she associated with him. While he was gone, she bathed Clay and put a clean shirt
and diaper on him. Her little angel still whimpered against her, but hadn’t thrown
up again.
She walked around with him and sang songs until Walker’s return. He rushed inside
the kitchen and got everything out of the sacks.
“Why don’t you give Clay his meds while I hold him?”
The suggestion seemed to appease Walker. With the expertise of a father who’d done
this for years, he filled a clean bottle with the Pedialyte.
By tacit agreement they went in the living room and sat down on the couch. Clay
drank a little, then pushed the bottle away. They took turns holding him. Finally
he consumed a fairly good portion, and Paula put him in his crib with a fresh
blanket. “Go to sleep, sweetheart.”
When they went back out to the living room, Paula felt limp as a rag. She looked
over at Walker who, despite their ordeal, looked fabulous in a silky black sport
shirt and gray trousers. “All I ever do is thank you. You were wonderful with him
tonight. He’s perfectly content with you.”
“Clay’s a special boy. If you need any help, I want you to call me even if it’s in
the middle of the night. Is there something I can write on and I’ll give you my
cell phone number?”
It was hard to believe they’d known each other for a month and she still didn’t
have his number. “Tell me what it is and I’ll program it into my cell.” She pulled
the phone out of her purse.
When that was done he said, “Tonight I wanted to talk to you and took a chance on
your coming straight home to Clay after you left the restaurant earlier.”
“I’m glad you did,” she said in an emotion-filled voice.
He studied her features through veiled eyes. Something serious was on his mind.
“What does Matt Spurling mean to you?”
His question caught her off guard, but it deserved an honest answer. “Matt’s a
recent client who would like to be more than that.”
“The man made that obvious. I thought he was married.”
“They were divorced some time ago.”
Walker cocked his dark head. “When you drove away from the restaurant in your car,
I noticed he didn’t follow, but maybe you’re expecting him later tonight. If I’m in
the way, just say so.”
Heat filled her cheeks. “Of course you’re not! How could you even think it? If you
remember, I drove up to your cabin last Sunday.”
“I recall it very well,” his voice grated, “including the be-nice-to-a-vet massage.
Is that what the unexpected drop-in was all about?”
She blinked. “You think I feel sorry for you?”
“Don’t you?” he bit out.
“That’s the last emotion you bring out in me.”
His hands shot to her upper arms. “What’s the first?” he fired.
“Walker…”
“You can’t tell me, can you? Maybe this will help.” His dark head lowered, blotting
out the light from the lamp.
With a low moan, Paula surrendered her mouth to him in an explosion of need. For so
long she’d fought against this happening, but at the first taste of him she
couldn’t have held back if she’d wanted to. As though in an avalanche gaining
momentum, she was caught in a force beyond her control.
This was no brief kiss. His mouth kindled a hunger inside her that grew even as it
was being appeased. Walker couldn’t seem to get enough of her, either. One kiss
became another and another, none of them long enough or deep enough as this fusion
of mouths and bodies sent her into a swirling rapture.
Those bronzed hands slid into her silky hair, cupping her head to give him easier
access to her eyes and mouth. She clung to him, delirious with wanting. Desire shot
through her like white-hot flame. He crushed her against him, then brought a
protesting groan from her as he set her away from him without warning. The abrupt
cessation of ecstasy produced literal pain.
His eyes had gone dark, confusing her. “Brent was a lucky man. Matt doesn’t have a
clue what he’s up against, does he?” After another kiss to her swollen lips, he was
gone.
She stood there dazed and weaving. Brent was a lucky man?
Paula couldn’t keep up with his thought processes. First he’d accused her of
feeling sorry for him; now he thought she was using him and Matt as substitutes for
her husband?
A cry of anger escaped her throat before she went to the nursery to check on Clay.
AFTER A WRETCHED NIGHT, Walker woke up Thursday morning totally out of sorts. A
shower and shave didn’t help his state of mind. Once he’d dressed in a clean Tshirt
and jeans, he burst into the kitchen still fit to be tied. Before he did
anything else, he drank two cups of coffee with a ton of sugar.
Besides worrying about Clay, seeing Matt Spurling with Paula at the restaurant had
been like getting impaled on a steer horn. Walker’s arrogance and naïveté had led
him to assume he was the only man in her life. Mortal man, he amended bleakly.
Of course she had male clients, but when he’d watched Matt looking at her with
undeniable male interest, he lost his perspective and later came close to losing
complete control while he was kissing her senseless. Hell, hell and hell.
He grabbed his cell and charged out of the cabin ready to wreck shop. On the way
down the mountain he drove the truck so hard it shimmied half a dozen times. But
the second he came out on paved road, he was forced to slam on his brakes because
he suddenly remembered that he needed to call Boyd.
His hazer was waiting for him at the arena. They’d planned to practice with some
steers this morning, but this was one time Walker wouldn’t be able to make it.
Depending on how Clay was doing, they might not be able to leave for Canyonlands

until tonight. He needed to get to Paula’s apartment pronto, not only to help with
Clay, but to try and repair the damage he’d done.
Not wanting to arrive empty-handed, he turned around and went back to the cabin.
After rustling up a Mason jar, he filled it with as much Indian paintbrush as it
would hold and placed it on the floor of the cab.
By now he’d calmed down enough to drive to Cody without breaking a tire rod. He’d
planned to pick up a present for Clay in town, but when he passed Whittaker’s gift
shop, he made a U-turn and pulled up in front.
Walker climbed down from the cab and walked past a couple of tourists coming out
the door. Old man Whittaker was busy stacking Buffalo Bill T-shirts on a shelf.
“Good morning, Tom.”
He turned. “Well I’ll be. If it isn’t Walker Cody back from Iraq!” They shook
hands. “How are you doing, son?”
That was the ten-million-dollar question. “I’m fine. You look well, sir.”
“Can’t complain. What can I do for you?”
“I need a present for a two-year-old boy. Maybe a stuffed animal. He’s scared of
dogs and bears.”
The owner looked closer at him. “Is he blond?”
“Yes.” Walker couldn’t imagine why he’d asked the question.
“I know the little feller you mean. Big blue eyes. Cute as all get-out.”
That described Clay. Maybe Tom was losing it, too, but Walker played along with
him. “How do you know that?”
“About a month ago, the boy’s mother bought the jade from me that’s hanging around
your neck. When I asked her what she was doing out in these parts, she said she was
looking for a man who might be a Cody.” He grinned. “Looks like she found you.”
Walker’s hand went automatically to the charm. “That she did,” he murmured,
fingering it. But he’d made it damned difficult for her.
“I keep the stuffed animals down at the other end.” Walker followed him. “I’ve got
all kinds. Beavers, squirrels, deer, elk, bison, rabbits, ducks.” The owner had an
amazing collection. “See anything you like?”
“Not yet.”
“I’ve got some boxed horses. They’re more expensive.” He reached under the counter.
“This one says it’s an Appaloosa.” Tom took the top off. In the tissue lay a black
leopard filly.
It was adorable, like Clay. Soft to the touch. Not in the least scary. The perfect
size for him to get his hand around. “I’ll take it.”
“Good. Do you want me to gift wrap it?”
“I don’t think so. Just put it in a sack.”

They moved back to the register, and Walker handed him a couple of bills
“There you go.” Tom put a little plastic whistle in the sack and handed it to him.
“Tell the boy’s mother that’s another little present from me. When he blows on it,
she’ll know where he is. No wonder he’s so good-looking. She’s a real beauty, that
one.”
Yup. One glimpse into those dazed blue eyes looking up at him a month ago and he
hadn’t been the same since. “Thanks, Tom.”
“Don’t be a stranger.”
“I won’t. Take care of yourself.” He had one more errand to run before he drove to
her apartment.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-02-11, 04:13 AM   #27

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

Chapter Nine
When the doorbell rang, Paula had just set Clay down on a quilt in the living room
to play with a set of different-size buckets. She got up and walked over to the
door.
“Who is it?”
“I’ll give you one guess.”
Her body started to tremble with excitement. She’d know that deep, compelling voice
anywhere. His parting comments after the heady kisses she’d experienced in his arms
had given her insomnia. By early this morning she’d come to the conclusion that
only time would convince Walker there was no one else she was kissing last night
but him.
She opened the door, then had to catch her breath because he looked so incredible
in a sage-colored Polo shirt she hadn’t seen him wear before. His tan was deepening
and he’d started to fill out. Their eyes met. Today his were a clear green, not
like last night.
“C-come in,” her voice faltered.
He moved his hard-muscled body inside, bringing his own enticing male scent with
him. “How’s Clay?”
“As you can see, he’s doing a little better.”
“Did he sleep?”
“Yes, and he hasn’t thrown up since the clinic, but he’s still running a
temperature, though it’s not as high.”
“That’s a relief.” He reached inside one of the sacks he was holding and brought
out a soft-looking stuffed animal. It was a little white pony with black spots and
a short tail.
“Oh, how darling! Look, Clay…”
Walker hunkered down by the quilt. “Hey, sport. What do you think?” He handed the
toy to her son, who gave him an angelic smile, then took it and immediately put the
head in his mouth.

They both laughed. He got up and turned to her. “These are for us.”
She took the other sack from him and looked inside. “Bagels and cream cheese! Just
what the doctor ordered. I haven’t had breakfast yet.”
“Neither have I.”
“Then come in the kitchen and I’ll make us some eggs to go with them.”
Before he’d rung the doorbell, she’d been in the depths over the situation with
him. For him to show up so unexpectedly brightened her day. Somehow she had to
convince him he could never be a substitute for anyone.
“I need to bring something else in from the truck. I’ll be back in a minute to keep
an eye on Clay.”
“Thanks, but you don’t have to worry about him. I’ve got this place baby-proofed.
He can’t get in too much trouble around here.”
While she heated the grill and got the eggs ready to cook, Walker entered the
kitchen, his arms full of Indian paintbrush.
A gasp escaped her throat. “Oh—how glorious!”
She saw a gleam of satisfaction in his eyes as he filled the jar with water. “Since
you didn’t get a chance to work on your painting the other day, I thought I’d bring
the meadow to you.”
“Walker…” Her feelings ran so deep, she needed another way to express them, but
Clay came in the kitchen just then carrying his pony. He toddled right over to
Walker, who picked him up and hugged him hard. Her son recognized him for exactly
who he was and thrived under all that male attention…and affection. Emotions were
threatening to drown her.
“If you want to put him in his high chair, I’ll pour you some orange juice.”
“I think I’ll keep him on my lap. Before I leave, I want to hear him say horse.”
She laughed. “Good luck. So far it’s pretty much mumbo jumbo. You’re a man after my
father’s heart. He can’t wait until Clay is old enough to ride on his own horse
with his grandpa.”
“Do you see your family often?”
“Probably every six weeks or so.” A moment later, she served the eggs and sat down.
Her son seemed perfectly content to stay where he was. Though he didn’t have an
appetite, there was nothing wrong with Walker’s. He ate several helpings of
everything while he talked to Clay with amazing patience.
“Hey, sport, maybe one day when you’re older, you’ll want to go riding with me.”
Clay looked up at him. He might not understand all Walker’s words, but the kind
tone had captured his attention. Walker kissed his curls. “There’s nothing like
seeing the world from the back of a horse just like this. Let’s name him. He’s got
so many spots, how about Pebbles? Maybe that’ll be easier to say than horse.”
The domestic scene was heartwarming, but frightening, as well, because she was
starting to care too much for a man who risked death every time he entered the
arena.
She’d made the mistake of looking at a video on YouTube Kip had told her about.
Someone who’d been to the Cody Roundup six years ago had posted it. To her horror,
it was a clip of Troy Pearsoll’s fatal accident in the box on the Fourth of July.
The video ended before death was pronounced.
Kip couldn’t have known how it would affect her. Walker Cody was one of her
brother’s idols. He didn’t realize that seeing the actual footage had been a
traumatic experience for her. She’d only watched it once, unable to bring herself
to replay it.
Walker had been there competing that night. To see his best friend’s life snuffed
out in an instant had to have come as a horrendous blow. The thought of Walk—
“Paula?” His voice broke in on her torturous thoughts. “What’s wrong? You’re so
quiet.”
Pull yourself together, Paula. “I didn’t want to interrupt the fascinating
conversation you two are having. You’ve won yourself an admirer, you know.”
His eyes wandered over her features as if he were searching for another answer, but
couldn’t find it. “Last night he had me worried. Today he’s a different boy.”
“Children are resilient, thank heaven. He’ll be all better in a few days.”
While Walker’s eyes were still probing hers, the answering machine sounded, and
Matt Spurling’s voice filled the kitchen.
“Hi, Paula. Please don’t worry. I got the message last night. This is the last time
you’ll ever hear from me. I just wanted you to know I think you’re a terrific
person. I envy the guy. Of course this doesn’t change anything. You’re a master
landscape architect. I hope you’ll always consider me a friend.”
Paula groaned. She should have turned off her answering machine earlier, but it
never occurred to her Matt would call her again.
Walker shot her an inscrutable glance as he gently placed Clay on the floor. “I’ll
make this easy for you and leave so you can get back to your work.” Suddenly the
chair scraped and Walker was on his feet.
Oh no you don’t.
By now Clay had pulled open the bottom kitchen drawer where she kept the rolling
pin and wooden spoons he liked to play with. He put the pony inside and closed the
drawer, then opened it again and pulled it out, a tedious process enjoyable only to
a child.
“I’m sorry you had to hear that, Walker.”
He stared at her as if he’d never seen her before. “I know how he feels,” he
whispered in a fierce tone. “Matt’s a good man.”
“That’s why I didn’t let things get started with him, because he is a good man. The
problem is, I knew after we had our first business dinner together that he wanted
to ask me out. From then on I discouraged him, but I couldn’t avoid our final
dinner last evening.” She took a fortifying breath. “I was never interested in him
and you know why.”
If that didn’t do something to clear up any questions Walker needed answers to,
then nothing else would, but he didn’t say anything and that frustrated her. What

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-02-11, 04:14 AM   #28

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

was going on in his head? “Since you’ve never volunteered, maybe I should be asking
you about the women in your life.”
He blinked. “You want a list? I’ve known my share and have had relationships with
several.”
“I’m talking about right now,” she said quietly.
“What do you think I’m doing at your apartment?”
“Then you know from Matt’s phone call he was never on my radar.”
His features hardened. “But we both know the guy who is.”
Not that again. “Yes—we do,” she cried out in a rare display of anger. Surely he’d
figured out by now that he was the guy in her new life. Brent would always belong
to the old.
Clay must have picked up on the tension. He made noises for Walker to pick him up.
He still had the pony clutched in his little fist. Walker reached down and pressed
him against his chest. She noted inconsequently that her son went straight for the
jade piece around his neck.
Silence stretched between them before Walker blurted, “I’ve got to go.”
Oh, really! That was rich. Now that he’d worked out the riddle for himself, he was
scared to death! Walker Cody had never been roped in by a woman. So far none of the
Cody men had been permanently trapped in a female’s clutches. Now that she’d pulled
a fast one on him, it appeared he didn’t like the feeling.
“That’s no surprise,” she blurted. “You do that on a regular basis, but I’m used to
it. Thank you for caring so much about Clay.” She fought to calm down. “He loves
his gift. I love mine. Come again when you’re in the mood. Next time plan to stay
longer.”
His lips went white around the edges. “It’s not what you think, Paula.”
“What do you think I’m thinking?”
“That I haven’t told you everything about me.”
“I haven’t told you everything about me, either. We hardly know each other!”
“After last night, that’s not exactly true,” he said in a husky tone. She knew what
he meant of course and couldn’t deny it. “Now that I’m out of the military, I’m not
the best bet for any woman.”
Her brows furrowed. What was he getting at? “For the sake of argument, why?”
“For one thing, I’m probably sterile after being exposed to a chemical agent.”
She moaned inwardly for his pain. That kind of news had to be as hard on a man as a
woman. He’d been so great with Clay, she’d thought more than once what a wonderful
father he’d make one day.
“For your sake I’m sorry to hear that, but the right woman will love you, warts and
all. Was there anything else you think I’m thinking?”

He rubbed the side of his jaw with his palm as if her comment had frustrated him.
“Just so we understand each other, now that I can see Clay is doing better, I’ve
got to get some practice in today. Tonight Boyd and I will be heading out to Moab
in the trailer with the horses.”
Though he had a legitimate reason for leaving, she knew it wasn’t the whole truth.
He still hadn’t come completely clean with her. But as he’d admitted to Clay,
Walker needed gentling first, so she would have to be patient until he was ready to
tell her about any other hidden demons.
She had one of her own. Just the thought of the rodeo caused the pit in her stomach
to get bigger. “Since I’ve seen your scars, I can’t help but wonder if you’re
physically up to the weekly strain of competition this soon after being released
from the hospital.”
His dark head reared. “Sure I am. Each day that I ride and practice, my body gets
stronger.”
There was no sure about it, but she was talking to a Cody. If they could still
breathe, the rodeo went on. That’s what she’d heard J.W. say on one occasion. Elly
was a case in point. Walker couldn’t have had a tougher mentor than the man who’d
forced him to ride a horse when he was Clay’s age. Somehow he’d braved it through
because Walker was an extraordinary male.
She rubbed her arms nervously. “I’m glad you’re feeling so fit.”
“Me, too. The doctor told me consistent exercise is the key to getting back.”
“That may be true, but there’s exercise, and then there’s the possibility of
getting gored or dragged to a pulp.” She couldn’t seem to let it go. After the
horror of his IED injury, she couldn’t bear the thought of him ending up in the
hospital again. Troy didn’t even make it that far….
His black brows lifted. “Then it means I’ll have to make certain that doesn’t
happen.” Oh, Walker. “To each his own poison, I guess.”
Walker let go with a devil-may-care laugh. He seemed to be going through a new
phase she didn’t understand. She took Clay from his arms. “Excuse me for a minute
while I put him down for his nap.”
Paula moved past him and headed for the nursery. He followed. “If Clay weren’t
sick, I’d invite both of you to drive to Utah with us and watch the rodeo. Given a
chance, you might discover you like it.”
“That’s what Kip always tells me.”
“Your brother makes sense.”
Keep things light, Paula. “I’ll make a deal with you. If you start competing here
in Cody, I’ll come and watch one.”
“Now that it’s June, the rodeo is on every night. Starting next Monday I’ll be
competing most nights here just for the practice. A week from Saturday there’ll be
some big names coming in for substantial prize money.”
Meaning it would be a big deal. A shiver ran down her spine. “Then I’ll come on
Saturday.”
“Good.”
Walker stood in the doorway while she gave Clay his medicine. Then she lowered him
to the crib and handed him the bottle of Pedialyte he hadn’t finished earlier. His
hand still held the pony. “Go to sleep, sweetheart. I’ll see you later.”
When she reached the hallway, Walker blocked her progress and ended up trapping her
against the wall with both hands on either side of her blond head. “Since I won’t
be seeing you until I’m back from Canyonlands, I just want…”
His mouth fell on hers and proceeded to devour her until the ache for him became
overpowering. “Walker,” she moaned his name. She knew she shouldn’t be doing this,
but she needed desperately to get closer to him. In a convulsive move, her arms
slid around his neck
“You feel so good,” he whispered on a ragged breath while he molded her to his
hard, lean body. At the moment when her limbs seemed to dissolve, he tore his lips
from hers and put her gently but firmly away from him.
Like lightning he moved to the living room, then paused and turned around. His
green eyes looked faintly glazed. “I almost forgot. Tom Whittaker told me to give
you this.”
She watched him pull a blue-and-white plastic toy out of his jeans. He reached for
her hand and pressed it into the palm. “When you bought my jade charm, you made a
real hit with him. This is a whistle for Clay, but if he gets worse or you need
help, I expect you to use it. The second I hear it, I’ll come.”
He cupped her face in his hands and gave her one more hungry kiss before
disappearing out the front door.
When she’d recovered enough to move, she looked out the window, but he was already
gone. Slowly she staggered to the kitchen to clean up. The sight of the brilliant
paintbrush brought a bittersweet pain to her heart. She clung to the edge of the
counter as a sob rose in her throat.
Paula squeezed the whistle tighter. If only it were a magic whistle she could blow
and he’d turn back from certain danger.
Maybe her reaction was over-the-top, but steer wrestling was perilous. By returning
to the rodeo circuit, Walker willingly embraced it. Every time his horse exploded
from the box, he took his life in his hands. That’s what the Cody family did, night
after night, round after round.
Work! Paula had a ton to do. Housework. Landscaping designs. Her art project. If
she immersed herself, she might make it through until the next time she saw Walker
again. If she saw him again.
ON HIS WAY TO THE CABIN to get packed for his trip, Walker parked in front of the
ranch office and went inside carrying a folder he’d brought in the truck with him.
The receptionist lifted her head. “Walker? It’s good to see you, you handsome
devil!”
“Hi, Doris. It’s good to see you, too. You haven’t changed a bit. How do you stay
so young?”
“You can tell a white lie better than anyone I know, but it’s still nice to hear.
Were you looking for Jesse?”
“Not right now. Is my father in?”

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-02-11, 04:15 AM   #29

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

“Yes, and there’s no one with him. Go on back.”
Walker walked down the hall and tapped on the door before going in. Once inside,
the surprise on his father’s face revealed how little communication there’d been
between them on a one-on-one basis since his teens. Though they’d been together at
the past two rodeos and the house, this was the first time he’d stepped foot inside
J.W.’s inner sanctum here at the ranch office.
His father started to get to his feet, but Walker told him to stay put. The less he
had to put pressure on his bad leg, the better. “If you’re expecting someone, I’ll
come back another time.”
His father emoted a strange combination of trepidation and pleasure. “Every day
I’ve been hoping you’d walk in here. Sit down, son. You make me nervous standing
there like you’re walking on hot coals.”
Maybe that was because their fiery exchanges always ended with no resolution, but
he refrained from saying anything this time and sat in one of the deep leather
chairs opposite the desk.
“The twins told me you were leaving for Canyonlands today.”
“Boyd and I will be heading out with the horses tonight.”
His dad gave him a rare smile. “Do you have any idea how proud I am of you for
getting back to bulldogging? Your speed is clocking faster with every competition.
I must confess I didn’t think the talk we had at the barbecue a few weeks ago did
any good.”
It was just like his father to take credit for something he had nothing to do with,
but instead of reacting as he’d done in the past by walking out on him, Walker took
a deep breath and tried to view his father dispassionately. He had to admit it was
the hardest thing he’d ever had to do, to sit there and take it. Still, his
conscience, unearthed by Dr. Bader, had reminded him that no man was perfect.
“Have you given more thought to running the Corriente bulls operation? No one has a
better eye for them than you. Dex said a couple of draggers had slipped in with the
last bunch. If you were in charge, that wouldn’t happen.”
Walker stretched and crossed his boot-clad feet at the ankles. “I appreciate your
confidence in me, Dad, but that’s not why I came in. There’s something else I want
to talk to you about. It’s not along any of the lines you’ve been thinking.”
The comment caused his father to press his fingertips together. He always did that
when he was trying to hold his tongue. “Go on.”
“The idea came to me while I was in college, but for obvious reasons I haven’t been
able to do anything about it until now.” The real reason was seated in front of
him, of course, but Walker needed to put the enmity of the past behind him or his
life would be a desert.
“If you’re thinking of opening up one of the old mines, I had this conversation
with you boys years ago. You know my feelings on it. Too risky, too expensive, too
much trouble. We don’t need that headache.”
No, because when J.W. didn’t like an idea, he refused to discuss it and that was
it. Walker sat forward. “I’ve brought something with me I want you to read. It
won’t take too long.” He handed him a copy of the senior paper he’d turned in to

his college professor over six years ago.
His father eyed him shrewdly before settling back in his leather chair to peruse
it.
Five minutes turned into fifteen before he lifted his head. It was a miracle in
itself that he’d stayed with it that long. Walker heard him clear his throat, but
no words came out.
He decided to take the proverbial bull by the horns.
“Because of the alarming findings about the existing natural-gas field, if you’re
willing, I’d like your permission to drill for natural gas on another part of the
property.”
The quiet was all consuming while his father took in what Walker had just proposed.
Besides the rodeo, J.W. had always been so focused on the running of the ranch, the
horses, the cattle… The idea of exploring for more gas came as the second
astonishing surprise of the day for his parent, Walker’s presence in his office
being the first.
J.W. sat forward. “You honestly think there might be another field?”
Incredible. It seemed Walker had managed to grab his attention. “Why not? The wells
in activity are located on the rangeland, away from the mountains because of the
uplift. We’ve got rangeland to spare. Why wouldn’t there be more?”
His father let out a laughing cry. “By damn, why not!”
Encouraged, Walker said, “Here’s what I can see happening. If we strike a new field
like the one found years ago, then I’d like to start up the J. W. Cody Natural Gas
Company.”
The gleam in his father’s eyes grew brighter.
“But even if my theory proves wrong, we can still form our own company after the
lease is up for renewal with Spurlings next year. That’s not very far away.”
“You know, you’re right.” While his father’s mind was starting to get the picture,
Walker was still reeling from Paula’s assertion that she’d never been interested in
Matt Spurling. The poor devil had taken his defeat gracefully. Hearing his voice on
her answering machine had made a new man of Walker. If that made him some kind of
monster, he didn’t care.
“We’ll keep it going until we’ve exhausted what’s left of the field. I see no
reason to go on giving away the natural resources on our land when we could be in
business for ourselves and reap all the profits.”
J.W. pounded his fist on the desktop. “I should have thought of it years ago.” He
sounded upset with himself. That wasn’t the reaction Walker wanted to provoke. His
father had done more to ensure the future of the Cody legacy than any Cody that
went before him.
“You had other weighty matters on your mind, Dad. But think about this—every month,
if it’s a peak month—we make a royalty of fifteen percent of the take. That
normally adds up to $200,000 a month, right?” His father nodded. “Think if we could
keep the other eighty-five percent, too. We would be talking over a million dollars
a month for each well.”
“My brilliant son is teaching his father!”
Was this the same father who’d been down on him from day one?
“I’ll tell you who was brilliant, Dad. It was our ancestor who got all the rights
to the land in the first place so the government couldn’t step in and control
things. We own a lot more of the same kind of land where the first field was found.
I’ve ridden Peaches all over it.”
“I didn’t know that.” His father sounded shocked. “If you’d told me, I would have
ridden out there with you.”
“I had to work out my plans first, and I do it better alone.”
J.W. made a strange sound in his throat. “You’re my son all right.”
“Just so you know, I’ve been investing my money since I went into the military.
I’ve got enough to drill a couple of wildcat wells doing subsurface mapping and
seismic measurements. The figures in my paper will have changed over the past six
years. According to the research I’ve already done, it will cost three million
dollars to drill for one well in today’s economy.”
“I’ll match your funds.”
He couldn’t believe what he was hearing. “Thanks, but I’d like to see this project
through on my own steam.”
“Good for you.”
“A road will have to be built for each one. If I find gas, the delineation well
will tell me how big the field is underneath the ground. If we find a lot of gas,
I’ll have them made into development wells.
“You saw the graphics in my paper. They’ll have to be forty-five acres apart, but
the good thing is they’re quiet and have very little physical impact on the
environment except for a road. I believe it’s worth pursuing.”
“Worth pursuing? It’s vital!” His father leaped out of his chair, grabbed his cane
and came around to the front of the desk to hug Walker. “I always knew you were the
brainy one in the family, but right now we’re talking pure genius here.”
For the first time ever, Walker saw his father totally excited about something else
besides the rodeo.
He grabbed Walker’s shoulder. “And you promise to live here and run the whole
thing?”
“If it has your approval.”
“If?” he exclaimed. “To live to an old age with all my children and grandchildren
around is all I’ve ever wanted, son!”
The truth of his words caused a sudden surge of affection for his father that
seemed to spring out of nowhere, surprising the hell out of him.
“You can talk to Mom about it, but until I’ve done more groundwork with a couple of
engineers, let’s keep this under our hats where the others are concerned.”
“Agreed, but come on home with me now and we’ll tell her together.”

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
قديم 07-02-11, 04:15 AM   #30

Dalyia

الصورة الرمزية Dalyia

? العضوٌ??? » 130321
?  التسِجيلٌ » Jul 2010
? مشَارَ?اتْي » 49,796
? الًجنِس »
? دولتي » دولتي Egypt
? مزاجي » مزاجي
¬» مشروبك   pepsi
¬» قناتك mbc4
?? ??? ~
My Mms ~
افتراضي

Whatever the state of his parents’ marriage, it appeared they were still a team.
Walker got to his feet. “I would, but I’ve got to get ready to leave with Boyd.
We’ll talk to her when I get back.”
He nodded. “Did you know Jesse’s on for both nights in Hugo?”
“I figured as much, and where Jesse goes Mark Hansen follows.” Walker was convinced
Mark was out for blood, or Jesse would have laughed it off by now.
J.W. went oddly quiet. Evidently his father had concerns in that department, as
well. He squinted at Walker. “You noticed that, too.”
“Yup. I think he’s shaken Jesse’s confidence. Somehow I always thought of my
brother as invulnerable.”
“We’re all vulnerable somewhere, sometime, but then we get back on track and don’t
look back.”
“That’s true,” Walker murmured, wondering if this was the closest his father would
ever come to confessing what he’d done. “We all saw Mark’s performance in Redding.
I hate to admit it, but he’s good.”
“He is,” his father agreed, albeit reluctantly. “That’s the reason I’m glad you’re
home for good. All my children need to support each other.”
“I hear you. See you later, Dad.”
Walker wished Paula and Clay were driving with him tonight. After she’d been to a
few rodeos and knew what to look for, she’d get over her concerns about it being
dangerous.
WHILE PAULA WAS ON THE phone with a client, she heard the high-pitched whines of
some sport bikes coming down her street. Normally things were fairly quiet in her
residential neighborhood. She got up from the dining room table to look out the
window. Two guys pulled up in front of the apartment and parked.
As soon as she saw the familiar silver-and-black GSX-R1000 loaded with gear, she
realized who it was and flew past Clay, who was sitting in front of his blocks
chewing on them.
“Kip!” she cried out in delight after opening the front door. Of course she was
thrilled to see him, but she’d been hoping Walker would come. He’d called every day
checking up on Clay. He’d even talked to her son on the phone. But on his last call
he told her they’d been delayed by a mechanical problem with the trailer. She might
not see him before Tuesday.
“Hey, Pollywog!” Her older brother pulled off his helmet to reveal a thick head of
dark blond hair. His grin was as big as all outdoors. With his light blue eyes and
bronzed complexion, he was growing to look more like their attractive father every
day. They met halfway on the stairs in a big hug.
She’d never thought about his height before, but after Walker had trapped her in
the hall on Thursday, she realized the men in her family, including Brent, were
shorter. Not that it mattered, but she couldn’t help making the comparison.
“Why didn’t you tell me you guys were coming? I’d have had dinner ready for you.

Come on in.”
They followed her up the rest of the stairs and entered the apartment. “How are
you, Ross?” She gave his sandy-haired friend a hug. He and Kip had been best
friends for years. “Never better.”
Kip dived straight for Clay and scooped him up off the floor. “Hey, little buddy.
Have you missed your Uncle Kip?”
“Of course he has!”
While he held Clay he said, “We were going to do some hiking in Yellowstone Park
and camp out tonight, but then it started to rain and probably won’t let up until
tomorrow. Since we don’t have to get back home until Wednesday, we thought we’d
drive here and bug you before we move on.”
“I’ve never been happier to see anybody.” The guys would help keep her mind off
Walker, who’d survived another rodeo in one piece. “You can stay here tonight. I’ll
whip up your favorite steak fajitas.” Katy had watched her boy long enough for
Paula to get to the grocery store. “Clay will love it that you’re here. He’s
getting over double earaches and is bored with my company.”
“Yeah?” He poked Clay’s tummy playfully. “Have you been sick?”
“While you guys freshen up in the bathroom, I’ll get dinner started.”
“Thanks, Paula.” Ross disappeared down the hall. Kip followed her into the kitchen
with Clay.
The little pony was lying on the floor with some cars next to the drawer where Clay
had been playing. Kip reached for it. “This is cute.” Clay immediately took it from
him and jammed the head in his mouth. When Kip pulled on it, Clay kept it locked
tight in his fist.
“His name is Pebbles.”
Her brother chuckled. “Will you look at that? He knows what he wants.”
“Walker brought it by for him the other day. Since then he hasn’t let it out of his
sight.”
Her brother’s eyes danced. “So…”
“So nothing. We’re friends.” No more getting physical with Walker. She couldn’t
afford to take the risk of caring about him any more than she already did. “I wish
I had a friend who lit up at the sound of my name the way you just did.”
“I did not.” Avoiding his merciless scrutiny, she got the steak and vegetables out
of the fridge to slice. When she heard the doorbell ring, Ross called out, “I’ll
answer it!”
It was probably Angie. Too late to intercept him, she hurried into the living room
in time to see a smooth-shaven Walker at the door wearing a coffee-brown Western
shirt and jeans. He was such a striking male that, as usual, she could hardly
breathe. If this was going to be her reaction every time she saw him, she’d better
stock up on oxygen to help her survive.
That dark, brooding expression broke out on his face. “I’ve come at a bad time.”
Since he’d never met Kip, she knew Walker would leap to another erroneous
conclusion, but this time she was ready for him. “It’s the perfect time! Please
come in and meet my brother, Kip Lund, and his best friend, Ross Fenton. They rode
over here on their sport bikes after getting rained out in Yellowstone Park.
Tonight they’re going to sleep on my living-room floor in their bedrolls.”
No longer in prebattle mode as she’d come to describe him when his body tautened,
Walker moved inside and shut the door. Kip gravitated to him. “It’s an honor to
meet you, Mr. Cody.” He shook his hand, still holding Clay. “Before you left the
rodeo circuit, I followed your career for years.”
“So did I,” Ross echoed and extended his hand. They both looked as if they’d won
the lottery.
Suddenly Clay wanted out of Kip’s arms and launched himself at Walker with the
enthusiasm of a child greeting his father. Walker, who displayed that same physical
mastery he’d shown at the dog parade, caught Clay against his chest in a loving hug
before he could fall.
While Clay found the jade charm and tried to eat it, her brother sent Paula a
private look that spoke volumes. She felt her face flush. “You’re a hero to these
guys, Walker, so don’t go all modest on them. Talk to them while I’m making
fajitas. Would you like one, or have you already eaten dinner?”
“I’ll take three if you can spare that many.”
“Oh, I think I’ll be able to feed all of you so you don’t starve.”
Thank heaven she’d weathered that little squall. If Walker insisted on showing up
without phoning, he was bound to meet with the unexpected. Talk about flying by the
seat of his pants.…
“Is Clay still on the Pedialyte?”
“He has been, but I’ll put him down in a few minutes with his regular bottle. In
the meantime, maybe he’ll eat some Cheerios if I give them to you. I’ll put a few
in a plastic bag.”
When she came back with them a second later, Walker had chosen one of the
upholstered chairs and had settled Clay on his lap. The guys sat on the couch
looking ecstatic that one of the most famous rodeo celebrities in the world was
under her roof. She wouldn’t put it past her brother to have purposely dropped in,
hoping he’d get to meet the legendary Walker Cody.
“While I finish getting dinner ready, feel free to help yourselves to sodas or
anything else you want from the fridge.” With Clay settled happily against Walker
while he munched away, she got busy in the kitchen.
Within twenty minutes she called everyone to come and fix their plates before they
took their food back to the living room. Walker brought up the rear, still holding
Clay. The guys were still firing one question after another at him. If only he knew
what this meant to her brother and Ross.
The green eyes that stared into hers held no shadows this evening, an indication he
was at a low-tension level. Relieved for his sake, since he had so few moments of
relative inner peace, she reached for Clay. “Okay, sweetheart. It’s time to put you
down. I bet you’re going to love your bottle.”
She grabbed it off the counter. “Say nite-nite to everyone.”
Clay made an indescribable sound that caused the guys to laugh, but it was Walker’s
smile and kiss to his forehead that touched her. She hid her face in her boy’s
golden curls and left the kitchen in order to deal with her emotions.
As she passed through the living room, Clay extended his arms. “Peb—Peb—”
Walker was right behind her. “Did I hear him say what I think he said?” He scooped
up the pony Clay had left on the floor and handed it to him.
Paula sent him a laughing glance. “I’ve been working with him.”
“You’ve made my day, sport!” He tickled Clay, who giggled.
“See you later, everybody.” Her boy was tired. She walked him to the nursery. It
didn’t take long to get him ready for bed and give him his medicine. When she
handed him the bottle, he drank thirstily, the best of signs that he was getting
better.
When she went back in the other room, the guys were still talking nonstop rodeo
while they finished doing the dishes. She found her kitchen spotless and suspected
that Walker was to blame. Kip could be helpful, but she knew he probably hadn’t
taken the initiative and started the cleanup.
Walker’s gaze darted to hers. “Jesse’s competing in the local rodeo tonight to get
in the extra practice. I’ve invited Kip and Ross to follow me over to the arena on
their bikes and watch the rest of the rounds. Afterward I’ll introduce them to him
and some of the other contestants if they want.”
Both guys looked so dazed they couldn’t talk.
“I’ve also told them they can spend the night at my cabin. That’s what the loft is
for, but only if you’re in agreement.” He rubbed the back of his neck absently.
“I’d invite you to come with us, but I know Clay needs another night in his own
bed. Tomorrow morning I’ll show them around the ranch, and they can ride the
mechanical bull if they want.”
Walker, Walker. “If they don’t want, then their brains need to be scanned for
serious abnormalities.”
Kip burst into laughter. “You’re sure you don’t mind?”
“Of course not.” In all honesty this solved a big problem for her. She had little
willpower around Walker and was glad Kip and Ross were there to act as a buffer.
“Clay’s still recovering and I could use a good night’s sleep. But come by tomorrow
before you leave for Yellowstone.”
“Will do.” He gave her a hug and a kiss before heading for the front door. Ross
came over to hug her and thank her, then followed him out.
Walker lingered until the others were gone, then cupped the back of her neck. “I
saw that look of panic in your eyes,” he murmured against her lips. “To ease your
mind, I told them about my flashbacks and gave them the choice whether to risk it
or not.”
He’d misread what he’d seen. “I wasn’t worried. Those two can handle anything.
There’s nothing my brother loves more than a challenge.”
“If he’s anything like you, he’ll meet the test because you’re the most courageous
woman I’ve ever known, on or off the battlefield.” He pressed a passionate kiss to
her mouth before joining the guys, who were already revving their sport bikes.

Dalyia غير متواجد حالياً  
التوقيع

رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

مواقع النشر (المفضلة)

أدوات الموضوع
انواع عرض الموضوع

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات